Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Furniture and animations, How they work
ghastley
post Jan 14 2019, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm at the point in The Diablo mod where I need to put Greta in a Pillory where she can be rescued. I can't use the shackles for this as they go against a wall, and her developing wings are either hidden, or clip through the wall behind her. Fortunately, the work has already been done, and I just have to extract the one piece from a huge animation resource pack.

The method of creating new furniture items, and connecting up the entry/loop/exit animations is a topic that's worth documenting, as I haven't found a decent one anywhere else. This thread will hold my notes as I find out all about it.

The "sit" animation isn't a standard one, so a mod using it will need FNIS to install the extra behaviour data and animations. At least that's become a standard, and users are fairly familiar with the process.

I may also include Idle Markers, which work in a similar fashion, but without a static item, and explain how Animation Objects work. These are items that appear only when the animation is performed, such as musical instruments, or the broom. Lots of things will be common between all these.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ghastley
post Jan 15 2019, 03:52 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

Animated objects are yet another topic. Some things are animated so that they're in motion on their own, such as swaying trees, or windmills. Others are activators that are triggered by the player (or NPC's) and then do something, such as levers. And then, of course, the activator may trigger another object.

And there are so many hybrids that have multiple aspects. A Grindwheel is furniture, with an animation for the player to perform when it's used, and it also triggers the tempering process dialog.

I'll just be confining myself to the "player uses this, which forces an animation (or sequence of them)" case. Idle markers are invisible, and furniture is visible, but they are otherwise similar.

An "Animation Object" is not one of these, but it's used as part of the animation, like a broom in the sweeping animation. It's not placed in the world, and only appears when the animation starts. And they get used together. The sitting idles often include a mug, or piece of bread, as an animation object, while the chair is the furniture that triggers that animation.

The other thing that's not well-documented is how the placed NPC is connected to the furniture they use. A shackled prisoner is associated with their shackles in the CK, to force the usage as soon as they're loaded.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 15 2019, 10:51 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 15 2019, 09:52 AM) *

Animated objects are yet another topic. Some things are animated so that they're in motion on their own, such as swaying trees, or windmills. Others are activators that are triggered by the player (or NPC's) and then do something, such as levers. And then, of course, the activator may trigger another object.

And there are so many hybrids that have multiple aspects. A Grindwheel is furniture, with an animation for the player to perform when it's used, and it also triggers the tempering process dialog.

I'll just be confining myself to the "player uses this, which forces an animation (or sequence of them)" case. Idle markers are invisible, and furniture is visible, but they are otherwise similar.

An "Animation Object" is not one of these, but it's used as part of the animation, like a broom in the sweeping animation. It's not placed in the world, and only appears when the animation starts. And they get used together. The sitting idles often include a mug, or piece of bread, as an animation object, while the chair is the furniture that triggers that animation.

The other thing that's not well-documented is how the placed NPC is connected to the furniture they use. A shackled prisoner is associated with their shackles in the CK, to force the usage as soon as they're loaded.

On the animated object appearing in the NPC's hand when they "use" that idle marker (for example: sweeping) = doesn't there have to be a linked reference between the animated object and the activator or idle marker that tells it which to use? (because I'm sure the motion is the same for rake and sweep; and the idle markers look identical; so there has to be something that tells the game to use rake at one and broom at the other.

I think I took out every "Animated Object in Oblivion's Item View List and looked at where they were used; then researched where the references were to it. Can't remember now; but Oblivion Nexus had a mod that caused an NPC to wash clothes and iron; (don't remember the name of it now, some kind of idle animations thing) = but I tore apart that mod to find out how the guy got the NPC to do the wash, etc. (I wanted a washerwoman in the basement of my personal Lucky Mudcrab, lol).

This post has been edited by mALX: Jan 15 2019, 10:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 05:56 AM