Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Memoirs of a Morag Tong Assassin: Vvardenfell, Chapter Six: An Old Friend to Kill...
Black Hand
post Dec 22 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Chapter One:..to the east, to Morrowind
Chapter Two: Rise of the Black Hand
Chapter Three: Azura's Portents
Chapter Four: An Assassin Amongst Us....
Chapter Five: History rewritten, and History Reborn

IPB Image

Ebonheart; Grand Council Chambers, Three Weeks Later

Duke Dren exited his office, wearing the polished ebony armor of the Duke, accompanied by two of his Imperial Guard. He had specifically asked for me to show up and hold the meetings of the preparation of war in the Grand Council, for all intents and purposes, I was the Dukes equal upon the Island of Vvardenfell.

“You know, Sethyas. As of right now, politically speaking, you are the most powerful Man on Vvardenfell. Even the tribes of the Ashlanders have chosen you as War Leader. A feat that has not been accomplished since the first era. And certainly not by an outlander, you truly must be the Nerevarine…” the Duke mused.

“I am. I know that now more then ever…but I wonder, if I am this child of fate and destiny, am I also destined to win, or fall? Dagoth Ur is a GOD for Azura’s sake!” I said with defeatist tone.

“Now, now! You must seem strong and confident to your people! You are the General of the Dunmer once more, Nerevar, and they will look to you for inspiration and leadership…besides, I would wish for you to return, and to play with my Grandchildren in a world that you have made safe…” he said subtly.

“Right…I…” I said blushing, while thinking of Ilmeni, safe in my Stronghold of Bal Isra.

“Relax, Sethyas. The time now calls for preparation of our assault upon Dagoth Ur. The Council awaits us now. Come.” He said motioning for the Chambers.

I sat down at my Central Chair, the Chair awarded to Generals and Kings. Not a chair that I deserved to sit in for long. The eyes of Dunmer that I did not recognize, save that of Llerar Mandas and Eno Hlaalu gazed upon me with a mixture of skepticism and wonder. And pride. The pride from the Morag Tong and House Redoran, my chosen families.

There were in fact representatives from every faction in the Grand Council, the Imperial Cult, the Imperial Legion, Fighters and Mages Guild. The Thieves Guild obviously did not take place in the proceedings, and my little surprise showed up amongst the beginnings of the proceedings.

Sul-Matuul showed up with three other Ashlanders, after receiving my correspondence to gather three Gulakhans from the other tribes and show up on this day. There were gasps of shock and surprise as they took a seat at the Grand Council Table, all of them with a satisfied smirks on their faces.

“Sethyas…what are they doing here?” Vedam Dren whispered to me.

I stood up and spoke in a loud, clear voice. “Representatives, may I present the Great and honorable Ashkhan of the Urshilaku, Sul-Matuul! The three other Mer are Gulakhans of the Erebanimsun, the Ahemmusa, and the Zainab Tribes. They will join us in counsel as equal representatives of the Army of Nerevar! I will not have any grumblings or dissentions to the contrary! They are brave and wise warriors whom are willing to lay down their very lives for the Honor of destroying Dagoth Ur! They have equal standing amongst all others here amongst the Council.” I said with a hand outstretched and a powerful gaze overlooking the room.

There were murmurs and looks of hate and curiosity towards the Ashlanders. But all seemed to come to the same conclusion: We needed all the troops we could get. Ashlanders might have been hated, but their skills in the Ashlands and hunting were undeniable.

“While the House Dunmer grow fat and lazy in their rooms of stone, we Ashlanders live in the Shadow of Red Mountain, we see our lands die from the Blight. This is the same fate that shall befall all you, unless we now act as one people under Nerevar once more.” Spoke Sul-Matuul.

“Thank You, my friend. As the Chosen Hortator, and Nerevarine. I will set forth a few rules that I need obeyed in my interim. Eno. There will be a cessation to all Writs, House Wars will not be waged while we assault the Mountain. House Representatives, no duels, no murders. Sul-Matuul, Gulakhans, no raids, no tribal disputes. We are one people.”

There were a few murmurs again, but all Representatives agreed eventually, Eno shook his head in agreement.

“How do you propose we begin this war, Nerevarine? Just gather as many heads as we can, and walk into Red Mountain? We’ll get killed!” asked the Telvanni Wizard Lady.

“Vivec has already given us his outlines for the War, and how to best proceed. I have had made copies for all…..” I said as parchments were handed out.

Phase 1: Raids inside the Ghostfence
The Tribunal, Ordinators, and Buoyant Armigers are familiar with the terrain, and will provide maps and current intelligence reports. The region inside the Ghostfence is dangerous, and the Nerevarine will need to be familiar with its particular challenges. After measuring skills and resources against Dagoth Ur's defenses, the Nerevarine will know better how to pace a campaign, alternating raids with improving skills, getting better equipment, and stockpiling resources.

Phase 2: Raids upon Ash Vampire Citadels
Dagoth Ur's kin have become markedly more powerful in recent decades, after remaining stable for thousands of years. If they can be individually isolated and destroyed, they will not be able to support Dagoth Ur in later stages of the war. It may also be that the dramatic increase in their power comes from items enchanted by Dagoth Ur. Salvage of such items might contribute to our resources.

Phase 3: Assault on Gate Citadel Vemynal
Essential to recover the artifact hammer Sunder for Phase 5. The Ash Vampire Dagoth Vemyn has possession of Sunder, and probably seeks to discover the secrets of its enchantments. He may also have access to notebooks and journals of Kagrenac that have survived in the Dwemer workshops of Vemynal.

Phase 4: Assault on Gate Citadel Odrosal
Essential to recover the artifact blade Keening for Phase 5. The Ash Vampire Dagoth Odros has possession of Keening, and probably seeks to discover the secrets of its enchantments. He may also have access to notebooks and journals of Kagrenac that have survived in the Dwemer workshops of Odrosal.

Phase 5: Assault on Citadel Dagoth
All the previous stages are preparations for this stage. Recent expeditions show that Citadel Dagoth has undergone extensive expansion; the location will need to be explored carefully. The known route to the Heart Chamber will be well-defended; alternative routes may exist. Dagoth Ur will have anticipated our plan to destroy him by attacking the Heart, and he will almost certainly personally oppose approach to the Heart Chamber. Together the Tribunal could not defeat him, and he has grown stronger since then. Admittedly, the Tribunal had the distraction of maintaining the Ghostfence simultaneous with fighting Dagoth Ur, but, even so, the challenge seems daunting.

The adoption of this phased campaign seems to offer the best chances for success. In retrospect, the Tribunal's decision to directly assault Citadel Dagoth rather than proceed step-by-step through lesser objectives must be seen to have been a serious error. The Tribunal did not feel it had the option of a slow-paced and deliberate campaign, given that they had many other competing priorities, not the least of which was the maintenance of the Ghostfence and the outer defenses surrounding Red Mountain. The Nerevarine, on the other hand, should be best served by a careful, step-by-step advance, with the additional advantage of building confidence along the way while successes would undermine Dagoth Ur's own assurance in his defenses.

“Interesting, and how do we find all these Ash Vampires…and more Importantly, how do we stop them from coming back? Every one knows that Dagoth Ur eventually resurrects them…” she asked once more.

“It is possible to prevent that through Soul Trapping magic…” I said.

“And how do you know that?” She asked flippantly.

I tossed her the Grand Soul Gem that housed the Spirit of the Ash Vampire I had encountered beneath Kogoruhn.

“Say hi to Dagoth Uthol. He won’t be coming back anytime soon…” I said as she examined the gem, and remarked in surprise: “This IS an Ash Vampires soul!”

“The one you faced when I sent you to Kogoruhn? You faced down an Ash Vampire and Lived to tell the tale? Impressive Sethyas. That is already one down out of seven…” said Sul-Matuul

The murmurs of the Council now had a different tone, one that of hope. If I could face down an Ash Vampire single-handedly, then there was hope that a Unified Dunmer could defeat Dagoth Ur.

“Then we will begin with the first phase immediately! Let the Sixth House know that the Dunmeri Wrath is swift and vengeful!” cried Llerar Mandas, the Redoran General.

“Not so fast.” I said, interjecting. “Read the parchment again. A full scale war is exactly what Dagoth Ur expects, and he is well prepared for such an occurrence.”

There was a silence. “Then what?” came the response.

“I will act largely alone. What the significance of the unification means, is that the Dunmer are working together to DEFEND themselves against Dagoth Ur. The towns, the villages, now more then ever, must have every available man to defend themselves against the Hosts of Dagoth Ur. Now that I have returned, there is a different feeling in the wind, Voryn Dagoth senses me, he knows that I have returned, he feels the time is nigh to set forth with his ambitions to conquer the land.”

“What hope do you have against an army? Can one man defeat an entire army?” asked Llerar.

“No…I’m not going after every single Ascended Sleeper and Corprus Monster. I’m going after the heads of the army. The Dunmeri society was built from small fractious clans that needed to use secret murder to defeat their enemies. Kill a General, and an Army is useless. My trade is that of an Assassin, and I shall employ all my skills to this end. Ending eventually in facing Dagoth Ur and severing his link to the Heart.”

”I am attacking the weak points, not the strongest. Dagoth Ur, believes himself to be invincible. He sees his armies as easily replaceable within the ranks. This is somewhat true. But in my experience, everything has a crippling weakness. I intend to exploit it once I find it…”

The council talked amongst themselves for a time. There was a feeling of anti-climatic ness, but this was war, not glory. Just as the Empire exploited the political weaknesses of the Dunmer to Conquer Morrowind, so could Dagoth Ur. The in-fighting and petty squabbles had to cease, at least for the time being.

The council departed, and my orders were relayed to the Clans, and the Tribes. Defense of settlements and towns were to begin immediately, if aid was needed, it would be given, without consideration to the others Clan.

I then joined the Duke in his chambers for a brandy after the meeting.

“Wise Choices, Sethyas. And foolish as well. But, I believe you will succeed. You will assassinate the brothers of Ur, and the Sixth House Army will shatter like a scrib, then it will simply be a matter of cleaning up the mess. But our people will have the War they desire. And you. I wonder whether you will live through all this…”

”If I don’t, you must pick up where I left off. Follow the phases, kill the Ash Vampires. Recover Wrathguard if you can, present it to another Champion, one who is capable of facing the Sixth House.”

He nodded grimly. “Do try and live, Sethyas. I have grown rather fond of you.” He said finishing his brandy.

Before I returned to Bal Isra, I made a stop by the Arena in Vivec for a contact with my Master, Eno Hlaalu. For company, and a bit of luck.

“Sethyas! Nerevarine, and Hortator. I am proud of you this day…even if you are cutting into my profits a bit!” Eno remarked on the Cessation of Writs.

“Well, I have two new threads for you, as well as a request.”

He took the threads and asked me my request.

“Well, I know I asked for you to stop the Writs. But I would like you to make me one…for luck.” I said telling him, and he laughed as he wrote out the parchment, and applied his Morag Tong Signet Ring to the red wax.

”Here you go.” He said handing me the finished writ.

I read it aloud.

Dagoth Ur

The afore-mentioned personage has been marked for honorable execution in accordance to the lawful tradition and practice of the Morag Tong Guild. The Bearer of this non-disputable document has official sanctioned license to kill the afore-mentioned personage.

This post has been edited by Black Hand: Aug 16 2011, 04:22 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Black Hand   Memoirs of a Morag Tong Assassin: Vvardenfell   Dec 22 2006, 09:51 PM
minque   Oh yay! What an interesting twitch......I real...   Dec 22 2006, 09:59 PM
jack cloudy   Heh, so Sethyas actually made the whole thing lega...   Dec 22 2006, 10:15 PM
Black Hand   I did'nt mean it in that way, Jack. Its for lu...   Dec 22 2006, 10:22 PM
jack cloudy   True, but the writ also works in Dunmer society to...   Dec 22 2006, 10:27 PM
canis216   That writ is just awesome. This story is so very r...   Dec 22 2006, 11:17 PM
The Metal Mallet   I smell action coming along quite shortly, I can...   Dec 23 2006, 12:47 AM
Black Hand   Mamaea. A Sixth House Base, and Home to Dagoth Ar...   Dec 25 2006, 07:35 AM
jack cloudy   War is tough. I hope that it ends soon, for Sethya...   Dec 25 2006, 11:58 AM
minque   Oh such a toching, wonderful update! You reall...   Dec 25 2006, 08:38 PM
Black Hand   The journey from Bal Isra to Ghostgate is a bit fu...   Dec 25 2006, 10:34 PM
canis216   That was really well done. I like how you finished...   Dec 25 2006, 10:54 PM
minque   Yeah....hehe, nice done Blackie! Wulf is one o...   Dec 25 2006, 10:59 PM
jack cloudy   I remember Wulf, never figured out who he was thou...   Dec 25 2006, 11:11 PM
Black Hand   I slowly pulled my hood over my head, and took a d...   Dec 26 2006, 01:01 AM
Lord Revan   Black Hand, I hardly do a single post every week, ...   Dec 26 2006, 01:38 AM
minque   Ayyyy.......like Revie said, your posting is feroc...   Dec 26 2006, 01:45 AM
Black Hand   Ask, and ye shall receive. Consider it my Christma...   Dec 26 2006, 03:02 AM
canis216   Aye, Sethyas is exceptionally resourceful. Very ni...   Dec 26 2006, 05:20 AM
jack cloudy   Wow, I never truly paid attention to the power of ...   Dec 26 2006, 11:27 AM
The Metal Mallet   Wow! You did ALL of that in one day? Unbelie...   Dec 26 2006, 09:28 PM
minque   Ah what mallie said.....wonderful work we see here...   Dec 26 2006, 11:57 PM
Black Hand   ‘I'm one of the oldest things to ever have sli...   Dec 30 2006, 12:47 PM
jack cloudy   That was quite an amusing conversation. On the ot...   Dec 30 2006, 01:01 PM
The Metal Mallet   Great update Black. I second jack's remarks a...   Dec 30 2006, 04:17 PM
canis216   I love your use of Sermon 22... and everything els...   Dec 30 2006, 06:32 PM
Black Hand   Thanks Canis, twas inspired by Pulp Fiction! ...   Dec 30 2006, 10:50 PM
jack cloudy   What's not? You cancelling the story or you be...   Dec 30 2006, 10:56 PM
Black Hand   Both...If Im NOT cancelling the story, then I have...   Dec 30 2006, 10:59 PM
jack cloudy   Oops, guess I've spoiled the joke. Sorry! ...   Dec 30 2006, 11:00 PM
minque   Thanks Canis, twas inspired by Pulp Fiction! ...   Dec 31 2006, 10:22 PM
Black Hand   Rayne hopped nimbly from one side of the ancient D...   Jan 1 2007, 11:39 AM
jack cloudy   No going back now. You've managed to convey th...   Jan 1 2007, 11:56 AM
Black Hand   Into the pit of the Citadel, along treacherous and...   Jan 1 2007, 01:09 PM
jack cloudy   The subtle weaving of past and present was incredi...   Jan 1 2007, 01:30 PM
canis216   Oh man, the time has come... I love the juxtaposi...   Jan 1 2007, 05:24 PM
minque   Oh...my...god....I read these two last parts more ...   Jan 1 2007, 07:04 PM
Black Hand   I entered into the facility cavern, as I had three...   Jan 1 2007, 09:19 PM
jack cloudy   No more Corprus to aid him? Well, it is clear that...   Jan 1 2007, 09:26 PM
canis216   Well, if corprus was his divine gift, then I suppo...   Jan 1 2007, 09:39 PM
minque   Ahhhh lovely, well worth waiting up for! The t...   Jan 1 2007, 09:54 PM
Black Hand   All those questions are answered, Minque. And damn...   Jan 2 2007, 12:28 AM
canis216   Ah, very clever of Sethya, that scroll. Bravo...   Jan 2 2007, 01:01 AM
The Metal Mallet   To quickly sum it up, all I have to say is wow. B...   Jan 2 2007, 03:04 AM
jack cloudy   Long live all forms of Levitation! I must say ...   Jan 2 2007, 01:13 PM
Lord Revan   Well, there was a rumor (note: rumor). "I...   Jan 2 2007, 06:14 PM
jack cloudy   What would the Nerevarine have to do in Akavir? As...   Jan 2 2007, 07:07 PM
Lord Revan   Well, It's not *my* rumor, and I was just supp...   Jan 2 2007, 07:20 PM
minque   I don´t know how to say this...I´ve cmpletely ran ...   Jan 3 2007, 03:46 AM
Black Hand   Rayne and I scaled the Mountain back down to Ghost...   Jan 3 2007, 06:53 AM
The Metal Mallet   Reading this update put a smile across my face for...   Jan 3 2007, 08:06 AM
canis216   Telepathy... crazy. Rather foreboding. But another...   Jan 3 2007, 09:26 AM
minque   Ahhhh......now this was..if not entirely unexpecte...   Jan 3 2007, 05:24 PM
jack cloudy   The duke doesn't mind. If I remember right, he...   Jan 3 2007, 05:36 PM
minque   The duke doesn't mind. If I remember right, h...   Jan 3 2007, 05:39 PM
jack cloudy   The duke has had plenty of time to change his mind...   Jan 3 2007, 05:56 PM
minque   Ok...you may be right, I just pondered about the f...   Jan 3 2007, 06:08 PM
The Metal Mallet   Ya, if I remember correctly, many people were sugg...   Jan 3 2007, 10:36 PM
Black Hand   At the time of this writing, I was ready to settle...   Jan 10 2007, 04:22 AM
Lord Revan   Truly a tragedy, but a well orchestrated one at th...   Jan 10 2007, 04:44 AM
Black Hand   'Tis. And one that was in working from the sta...   Jan 10 2007, 04:52 AM
The Metal Mallet   Well it's not me then. Simion all ready kille...   Jan 10 2007, 06:31 AM
jack cloudy   Damn, how could you? This is horrible! I pers...   Jan 10 2007, 07:26 AM
minque   OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Please...   Jan 10 2007, 08:34 PM
mplantinga   Having read most of this chapter today, I'd ha...   Jan 12 2007, 02:09 AM
Black Hand   And here we go! This update is darker then mos...   Jan 13 2007, 07:20 PM
canis216   It was an honor to be of assistance, Black Hand. ...   Jan 13 2007, 07:34 PM
jack cloudy   Yeah, he feels oddly wrong about it. Not about the...   Jan 13 2007, 07:50 PM
minque   Mmmm, yes he had his revenge, Dren is dead after s...   Jan 13 2007, 08:42 PM
The Metal Mallet   That was a extremely tasteful collaboration there....   Jan 13 2007, 09:48 PM
Black Hand   “It is customary to pay the executioner of a Writ ...   Jan 14 2007, 10:02 PM
jack cloudy   An emotional update. I'm pleased that Sethyas ...   Jan 14 2007, 10:13 PM
canis216   This is an excellent update. There is so much... f...   Jan 14 2007, 10:34 PM
minque   Yes he will cry....but it might take a while, but ...   Jan 14 2007, 11:08 PM
The Metal Mallet   I'm personally interested in seeing how Sethya...   Jan 14 2007, 11:10 PM
Black Hand   Maybe not quite what some of you were expecting......   Jan 14 2007, 11:21 PM
Black Hand   “Greetings Sethyas. Or Shall I call you by your ne...   Jan 15 2007, 01:30 AM
canis216   Sethyas seems like he's having a hard time adj...   Jan 15 2007, 01:33 AM
The Metal Mallet   It nice to see that Sethyas is at least attempting...   Jan 15 2007, 02:39 AM
minque   Yes....yes, so appropriate, so right...Seth reacte...   Jan 15 2007, 09:07 PM
mplantinga   Some excellent updates since my last visit. I am a...   Jan 18 2007, 12:09 AM
Black Hand   “Under Sun and Sky, Grandmaster, I greet you warml...   Jan 19 2007, 10:27 PM
jack cloudy   Dang, I definitely hoped that the Camonna would be...   Jan 19 2007, 10:41 PM
Black Hand   Well, it won't lead anywhere. It's like th...   Jan 19 2007, 10:44 PM
The Metal Mallet   This was a rather interesting update, given Sethya...   Jan 19 2007, 10:46 PM
minque   O-o.....now what? This is indeed getting very inte...   Jan 19 2007, 10:50 PM
jack cloudy   It won't? Too bad. Hmm, I never met an Argonia...   Jan 19 2007, 10:51 PM
Black Hand   I stared at the towering mushroom tower of Sadrith...   Jan 21 2007, 11:18 AM
jack cloudy   Whahaha! *cough, weeze, cough* Sorry, I need s...   Jan 21 2007, 12:56 PM
minque   This was....sheer funny! I really laughed when...   Jan 21 2007, 03:47 PM
canis216   Well, that was interesting. I guess from now on Se...   Jan 21 2007, 07:16 PM
The Metal Mallet   That has to be one of the more amusing update I ha...   Jan 21 2007, 10:44 PM
mplantinga   I guess he was wrong to underestimate Therana. She...   Jan 22 2007, 11:00 PM
Black Hand   Dunsapil Dun-Ahhe laughed. Quite uncharacteristic ...   Jan 25 2007, 07:07 AM
Black Hand   My travels had taken me nearly over the entire Isl...   Jan 25 2007, 08:54 AM
jack cloudy   Aha, so there will be a sequel to our 'fake...   Jan 25 2007, 03:30 PM
The Metal Mallet   Nice couple of updates Black. It's nice to se...   Jan 25 2007, 05:37 PM
mplantinga   I was sad to see Baladas die; he was always one of...   Jan 25 2007, 07:30 PM
minque   Great great great updates! Ha they´re on talki...   Jan 25 2007, 08:31 PM
Black Hand   “Alright, Dunmer. You’re right. I did request the ...   Jan 25 2007, 08:43 PM
2 Pages V  1 2 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 06:23 AM