Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Old Habits Die Hard Part Two, An old dog learns new tricks
haute ecole rider
post May 26 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Hi all,

To continue my story, I decided to break it up in more manageable chunks. The 200 post limit seems to be a reasonable number.

You can see Chapters 1-7 here:

Now begins Chapter 8.

Back on the road again, Julian catches up with a friend, and makes another, among the Legion riders. Riding along the Blue Road under the full moons is special. I hope I’ve managed to convey that feeling to all my readers.

This post is a little longer than my self-imposed limit, but it was hard to edit a much longer interlude down into something that was more manageable for the forums and still had the important stuff.

Chapter 8.1 Bandits and Riders

Paint was eager to go. He chose to gallop around the Red Ring Road, only slowing down when we caught up to Marc Atellus between Sercen and Red Roxey Inn. Blowing and bouncing as he slowed down to match the Legion horse’s slow amble, Paint whickered at the other horse.

“Hello, Julian!” Atellus greeted me heartily. He slapped his left thigh. “Thanks to you, all healed now!”

“Good,” I mirrored his grin as I tried to catch my breath. “I’m glad to see you again, Atellus.”

“In these dark times, friends are more valuable than treasure,” the Legion rider commented as the two horses continued down the road at an easy pace. “Your horse looks well-rested this afternoon.”

“He should be, sir,” I responded, slapping the brown-and-white neck fondly. “He’s been loafing for the past two days, since I saw you last. He just galloped all the way from Weye.”

Atellus’s brows lifted beneath his helm. “All that way?” he whistled. “Paint must be feeling really good today!” He laughed as Paint tossed his head and bounced twice, as if in agreement. The Legion bay pinned his ears briefly at Paint, who subsided and became sedate again. “Shush, Bucky,” Atellus chided his mount quietly, with amusement in his voice. “Our horses may seem lazy,” he admitted to me, “but it’s because they go all day and all night, with little time for rest. They’re smart enough to conserve their energy.”

“I’ve noticed, sir,” I responded. “It’s a good thing when you have to ride long hours.”

“So, Julian, where are you and Paint headed on this fine afternoon?” Atellus asked.

“Cheydinhal, sir,” I answered. Ahead, in the shadows thrown by the westering sun, I saw a shabby little inn off to the north of the road, tucked beneath high mountains.

“That’s Roxey Inn,” Atellus pointed at it. “And we’re near the end of my patrol. You’ll run into Marius Tarquinius between here and Wellspring Cave, just past the Blue Road. Caelius Drusus patrols the Blue Road. He’s the youngest of us, and has never served in the provinces.”

“Is he the least experienced, sir?” I asked.

“Humph,” Atellus shook his head. “Actually, Drusus has done nothing but patrol,” he responded. “Started out as a forester, so he’s a pretty tough character.” He looked hard at me. “I mention him because he’s likely the least prejudiced of all of us riders.”

“Against Redguards, you mean, sir?” I asked, thinking of Adrian Remus, the rider I had encountered east of Skingrad. He had been cool, even suspicious, toward me, though he had maintained a professional demeanor. Atellus nodded, a little ruefully.

“And Dunmer,” he added. “That’s why he’s assigned to the Cheydinhal patrol route. That city’s half Dunmer as it is. He gets along very well with everyone there.” Atellus halted Bucky and threw me a half salute before turning the bay back westward. “Farewell, Julian!”

“Thanks for the company, sir,” I said. “Stay safe,” I called to his departing back. “And watch out for marauder archers!” His guffaw trailed behind him. Paint resumed his slow walk. Patting his neck again, I found it cool. “Out of energy, Paint?” I asked him. He tossed his head and bounced once, but resumed his walk immediately.

The night settled around as we turned onto the cobblestones of the Blue Road. The highway climbed steeply to the top of a ridge, and Paint marched resolutely up the slope. Near the top of the hill, I spotted the ruins of an old farmstead to the right of the road. When I saw movement within the ruins, I stopped Paint near an oak tree about twenty meters away. After I dismounted, I limped forward, the Kvatch Wolf in my left hand, my right hand near the hilt of my katana.

Two shadows detached themselves from the ruin, one carrying a hammer, the other a shortsword. They separated as they drew near. I recognized the tactic from my years in the service. They intended to attack me from opposite sides. I hobbled toward the swordsman, barely recognizable as a Redguard in the darkness, and ducked his blade, circling to get him between me and the hammer-wielding Khajiit. My katana picked up the starlight along its slender blade. My buckler blocked the sword strike from the Redguard, and I shoved him back into the Khajiit, sending both of them staggering.

Before the swordsman could recover, I brought the edge of my shield down on his sword arm, feeling the bones snap beneath the metal disc. With a groan, he hunched over his broken arm. In spite of his greater weight, I managed to knock him aside in time to backhand my katana against the man-feline. The tip of my blade sliced through the other’s upraised right arm.

The Khajiit spat as my blade caught on the edge of his leather cuirass. He pulled back, freeing my katana, and raised his hammer again with more difficulty. My sword slipped beneath his chin, twisting through his throat and tearing it out sideways.

As he fell back, a shout reminded me of the Redguard with the broken arm. As I hopped to my right and spun around to face him, I saw that a Legion rider had already engaged the bandit. Awkward with the sword in his left hand, the Redguard was no match for a fresh fighter, and a heavily armored one at that.

Kneeling stiffly to wipe my bloodied blade on the Khajiit’s sackcloth pants, I sheathed it as the rider strode up to me, his own weapon put away. “Caelius Drusus?” I asked, aware of his assessing gaze and the way his eyes lingered on the Kvatch Wolf in my left hand.

“Yes,” he answered, “and you must be Julian.”

“I see you’ve heard about me already,” I muttered. “Thanks for your help, sir.”

“Yes, I have heard about you,” Drusus remarked, amused. “Are you unhurt, I hope?”

“I’m fine, sir,” I answered. “Tired of battling bandits and marauders, though.”

“Well, if you’re going to Cheydinhal,” Drusus remarked, lighting the torch, “you’ll probably run into another bandit ambush about half a kilometer west of the city gates.” The torchlight illuminated the youth in the other’s face, as well as the experience in his level gaze. He shrugged. “They are never around when I ride by, but travelers have come to grief there. They’ve been particularly -” he paused, “bothersome lately.”

“Well, I’ll see when I get there, sir,” I commented. I turned back to look for Paint. “I left my horse back a ways.”

“I did, too,” Drusus admitted. “Tell you what, I’m weary of hearing about those invisible bandits. They’ll likely ambush you - with that white hair of yours they’ll think you’re easy game. I’ve got to ride on down to Fort Urasek,” he indicated the ruined fort on the lakeshore, past the end of the Blue Road, “then come back toward Cheydinhal. If you wait for me, maybe we can take care of those bandits once and for all.”

“All right,” I said. “I’ll travel slow until you catch up to me.”

“Travel real slow,” his tone was dry. I couldn’t help smiling at his irony.

Masser and Secunda were just rising over the eastern horizon when Paint and I passed the ruined farmstead. He was all too happy to remain at a slow amble for now. The road floated along the shoulder of the foothills to the north, the lofty Jeralls just visible beyond. To the south, on my right, the land dropped away into an expansive plain, dotted with groves, small lakes, and a single Ayleid ruin.

I spotted an overgrown gateway and a faint dirt path heading north into the foothills just past the farmstead. Briefly I wondered what lay at the end of that path.

Deer spooked at us and ran off, quick shadows highlighted by the white undersides of their tails. A grey ghost paced us from the side of the road, but veered off when Paint turned his head and looked directly at him without faltering in his stride. That wolf’s not hungry tonight. Bet those bandits up ahead are. I followed the wraithlike form with my gaze as the canine ran up a bank to the shore of a highland lake, just north of the road, its waterfall argent in the growing moonlight.

Ahead, the trees became thicker as the road began to rise into the foothills of the Valus Mountains to the east. A crenellated silhouette of a wall nearly blended into the treetops, only the right angles along the top of the barrier giving away its manmade origins. I slowed Paint even more and waited until I could hear the clopping of Drusus’s mount behind us. At the bottom of the slope, I stopped and dismounted from Paint. As I limped forward, I strained my eyes into the shadows on either side of the road, where thick trees and boulders crowded close.

Perfect place for an ambush. No wonder Drusus never saw anyone here - plenty of places to hide close to the road. Shaking my shield into my left hand, I drew my katana. A bird whistle - birdcalls in the middle of the night? - prompted me to raise my buckler as the thwap! of a snapping bowstring followed. The broadhead arrow smacked into the light iron, staggering me to the right. Booted footsteps on my right drew my head and katana around in time to catch the wrist of a mace-wielding woman. I kept my shield to the north side of the road, where I knew the bowman hid, and elbowed the female Redguard hard, freeing my blade from the bones of her wrist and kicking her legs from beneath her.

Drusus’s footfalls and clanking armor reached me. Still focused on the Redguard woman at my feet, I shouted at him, “Archer, in the trees on the left!” Drusus changed direction, and his footfalls went silent as he left the cobblestones of the road.

The woman regained her feet with an agility that surprised even me. She proved to be ambidextrous, just as adept with the mace in her left hand as in her right. She charged me, and before I could back away, she was inside my guard and swinging that mace low. The heavy iron head smashed into my right hip. With a groan, I danced left, chopping downwards with my katana to catch her left elbow. The blade bit into bone before skittering away, tearing muscle and tendon with it.

Effectively neutralized, the bandit dropped back, her mace striking sparks as it landed on the cobblestones and rolled away. Shouts in the trees across the road told me that Drusus had found the archer. Lifting the tip of my blade, I pointed it at the Redguard’s throat. “Are there more of you?” I demanded.

Her jaw clenched in defiance, the bandit used her right forearm to knock my katana away. Her left foot came up and slammed me in my belly, knocking the wind out of me. I managed to recover before she could follow through, and stabbed the katana into her lower abdomen. As I sliced the tip of my blade sideways, I heard her gasp, and stepped back as she shuddered to the cobblestones, blood appearing black beneath her body in the moonlight.

Short of breath, I looked around as the shouting fell into immense silence. Turning towards the trees where Drusus had disappeared, I limped across the road, my right hip stabbing with each step. The Legion rider reappeared out of the forest, sheathing his sword. A couple of arrows protruded from his chest plate, a couple more in his shield.

“There,” he said, catching his breath, and walking up to me. He yanked the two arrows out of his armor and looked at me, “That went rather well, I may say so.” His gaze sharpened on my face. “Are you hurt, Julian?”

“Ach,” I groaned as my hip twinged. “She managed to hit me once or twice, sir.” Together, we pulled the bandit’s body off the road, placing the corpse behind a clump of azaleas. I turned down the slope and started limping back to the horses. “It’ll heal,” I added, casting my healing as I spoke.

“I see Atellus is right,” Drusus said, an approving note in his voice. “You do know how to fight.”

I shook my head. “I don’t think I’m as good as I used to be, sir,” I answered. “It’s been a while.”

“Don’t worry, it’ll come back,” Drusus assured me as we reached the horses. My hip protested at the thought of mounting up, so I picked up Paint’s rein and started trudging for Cheydinhal. Drusus fell into step beside me, his bay trailing behind.

“I do hope I get it back, sir,” I muttered. “It would seem my work is far from done.”

“There are days when it seems like it never ends, huh?” Drusus commented. I nodded at the wisdom of his words. He may be young, as Atellus said, but experienced beyond his years. At the top of the slope, the closed gates of Cheydinhal visible less than a hundred meters away, Drusus stopped and mounted his mare.

“Thanks for your help, Julian.” He pointed out the stables to the left of the road. “There’s Black Waterside Stables. If you leave your horse in the corral, they’ll take care of him. You can pay them later.” He considered me a moment longer. “Get a bed at the Newlands Lodge. The innkeeper is a Dunmer, but it’s warm, cheap and comfortable. You’ll do well to stay there. There is the Cheydinhal Bridge Inn, but it’s more expensive.”

“All right, Drusus, thanks,” I said, leading Paint towards the stable corral. “I’ll see you again, sir.”

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: May 26 2010, 11:37 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
haute ecole rider   Old Habits Die Hard Part Two   May 26 2010, 06:29 PM
mALX   This was one of my favorite chapters before, and I...   May 26 2010, 06:38 PM
Acadian   Just caught up with chapters 7.4 - 8.1 Congratula...   May 26 2010, 07:33 PM
Olen   Good chapter :) The bandits will be avoiding her ...   May 26 2010, 07:46 PM
SubRosa   Ahh, it is Marc again. Always good to see an old f...   May 26 2010, 11:29 PM
D.Foxy   And here we go to part two! I for one am not p...   May 27 2010, 03:28 PM
Destri Melarg   Starting a new thread after 200, eh? Yet another ...   May 28 2010, 09:09 AM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: So the lodge scene is one of your favorites...   May 28 2010, 04:26 PM
Olen   Exciting stuff. I somehow doubt we've seen th...   May 28 2010, 05:21 PM
SubRosa   And he's quite perlite about it, too He is an ...   May 28 2010, 05:22 PM
mALX   I am getting so wound up by the fact that we are a...   May 29 2010, 04:57 AM
haute ecole rider   @Olen: I'm quite sorry, but if you thought tha...   May 30 2010, 05:03 PM
mALX   ARGH!!!! I am so hyped I have bee...   May 30 2010, 06:08 PM
SubRosa   I just noticed you changed the topic description i...   May 30 2010, 06:49 PM
Destri Melarg   Chapter 8.2 Searching for Enlightenment That’s ...   May 30 2010, 10:51 PM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: I gather it's a good thing that I live ...   Jun 1 2010, 05:57 PM
D.Foxy   And the next will be totally nude! ER er er I...   Jun 1 2010, 06:01 PM
mALX   And the next will be totally nude! ER er er ...   Jun 1 2010, 06:07 PM
mALX   WHEW!!!! (exhales loudly) - Holy...   Jun 1 2010, 06:06 PM
SubRosa   How could I forget the Jewel of the Rumare! Pr...   Jun 1 2010, 09:13 PM
Destri Melarg   As for the awkward sentences, I did rewrite them,...   Jun 2 2010, 12:19 AM
Acadian   Three chapters. The first was a wonderful inter...   Jun 2 2010, 04:01 PM
Olen   Whew... All caught up now and that last part was ...   Jun 2 2010, 07:33 PM
haute ecole rider   @ D.Foxy: Nudity is, as always, purely optional. ...   Jun 3 2010, 04:32 PM
D.Foxy   Very good. I personally would have put a clanger ...   Jun 3 2010, 04:43 PM
SubRosa   Nords get blond hair! Seriously though, Nords ...   Jun 3 2010, 04:54 PM
mALX   WOO HOO !!!!! Already the Myt...   Jun 3 2010, 07:23 PM
Olen   Hmmm a fight with the Orum gang, well an encounter...   Jun 3 2010, 07:56 PM
ureniashtram   I always wondered why I haven't caught up yet ...   Jun 3 2010, 09:55 PM
Destri Melarg   SubRosa has already beaten me in praising your use...   Jun 3 2010, 11:42 PM
haute ecole rider   @D.Foxy: Julian, like me, is a light sleeper and w...   Jun 5 2010, 05:57 PM
SubRosa   And off the cliff we go! “But if you have no ...   Jun 5 2010, 06:16 PM
mALX   Argh, I had thought it was the Mythic Dawn startin...   Jun 5 2010, 06:49 PM
Destri Melarg   The Newlands Stalemate! I see that Julian is n...   Jun 5 2010, 08:38 PM
Olen   I echo what's already been said, solid part fi...   Jun 5 2010, 10:16 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Julian does not like the Redguard Adrena...   Jun 7 2010, 04:04 PM
mALX   I am wondering if he was suspicious because of the...   Jun 7 2010, 05:48 PM
SubRosa   A nice, quiet segment for a change! It was nic...   Jun 7 2010, 06:41 PM
Destri Melarg   Drusus’ questioning of Jeelius struck me as too po...   Jun 8 2010, 08:41 AM
Olen   Good piece, a distinct feeling of calm before the ...   Jun 8 2010, 04:29 PM
SubRosa   I think the reason for Drusus' suspicion was t...   Jun 8 2010, 05:16 PM
Acadian   Three chapters, and I loved them. I like Orcs. ...   Jun 9 2010, 05:05 PM
haute ecole rider   @all who noted Drusus's suspicion of Jeelius, ...   Jun 9 2010, 06:07 PM
SubRosa   A short chapter indeed, at only one post. But it d...   Jun 9 2010, 08:51 PM
Olen   Short but it brought things into position for the ...   Jun 9 2010, 11:16 PM
Destri Melarg   So the book that Julian recovered is the notorious...   Jun 11 2010, 12:14 AM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: When I'm horseback riding, I literal...   Jun 11 2010, 05:59 PM
SubRosa   Julian is still improving I see, moving more easil...   Jun 11 2010, 08:53 PM
Winter Wolf   I am limping along like Julian as I try to catch u...   Jun 12 2010, 01:10 AM
Olen   So she's dressing all effeminate now and the b...   Jun 12 2010, 08:32 AM
Cardboard Box   And nice avatar, though exactly where the ouroboro...   Jun 12 2010, 10:40 AM
haute ecole rider   And nice avatar, though exactly where the ourobor...   Jun 12 2010, 05:23 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Thanks for your observations. Six Millio...   Jun 13 2010, 04:50 PM
SubRosa   After all the time riding around Bruma, Julian fin...   Jun 13 2010, 06:13 PM
Olen   Good stuff, I too like the fact that the road she ...   Jun 13 2010, 07:44 PM
ureniashtram   Orgasmic chem, eh. OrGasMic ChEm. ORGAS- Nah. I...   Jun 14 2010, 09:27 AM
D.Foxy   Someone? I wonder who could that be??? ^_^   Jun 14 2010, 12:47 PM
ureniashtram   Dremora: (points his claymore upwards while grinni...   Jun 14 2010, 01:11 PM
D.Foxy   Dhertee-Innuen and Doe... wait a minute, I think I...   Jun 14 2010, 04:51 PM
Destri Melarg   Personally I think that, despite the skirt and the...   Jun 15 2010, 12:16 AM
Remko   Caught up on your new chapters and I love m. The p...   Jun 15 2010, 11:22 AM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Of course a mountain lion can tear apart...   Jun 15 2010, 06:40 PM
SubRosa   [b]@SubRosa:then imagine the damage a cougar can ...   Jun 15 2010, 10:42 PM
Remko   I agree with Rosa. Loved how subtle you brought in...   Jun 16 2010, 10:27 AM
ureniashtram   Second to agree with SubRosa. Staggeringly outstan...   Jun 16 2010, 10:53 AM
Acadian   Caught up again. Thanks for the chow. First ther...   Jun 16 2010, 04:44 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Think you this old soldier is just gonna...   Jun 17 2010, 05:38 PM
SubRosa   Well, Hephaestion was a member of the most profess...   Jun 17 2010, 09:19 PM
Remko   Very nice! I always this like this part of the...   Jun 18 2010, 11:18 AM
Olen   Woo I've caught up and an exciting catch up it...   Jun 18 2010, 07:02 PM
Destri Melarg   I like Julian’s self reflection (How many white-ha...   Jun 19 2010, 01:37 AM
Acadian   Oh Rider, there is so much to love in this chapter...   Jun 19 2010, 03:08 AM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Have patience! The old libido takes ...   Jun 19 2010, 06:43 PM
SubRosa   But in this story, she has already met the one she...   Jun 19 2010, 07:20 PM
Olen   Good part and a nice development of Bruma and more...   Jun 19 2010, 07:24 PM
Destri Melarg   After the encounter with the assassins this quiet ...   Jun 19 2010, 10:51 PM
Acadian   I'm just so pleased you present guards and so...   Jun 20 2010, 03:30 AM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Valen Dreth??!! Now that I'm...   Jun 21 2010, 04:44 PM
Remko   Jeanne Frasoric... annoying wench.... I just know ...   Jun 21 2010, 05:05 PM
SubRosa   Hmmm, well if Valen Dreth is out, then let me vent...   Jun 21 2010, 05:12 PM
Olen   Jeanne isn't quite as I imagined her but I thi...   Jun 21 2010, 07:45 PM
Destri Melarg   The fact that she runs around town drunk from 10 ...   Jun 22 2010, 12:36 AM
Acadian   What a fun romp! What little time we spend in...   Jun 22 2010, 03:09 AM
haute ecole rider   @Remko: Julian shares your opinion about Frasoric...   Jun 23 2010, 11:38 PM
SubRosa   My this is one big chapter! We are at the seve...   Jun 24 2010, 02:15 AM
Acadian   Somehow, I just know that she enjoyed this. Yup: ...   Jun 24 2010, 02:38 AM
D.Foxy   Sub Rosa - STOP PHISING!!! :D   Jun 24 2010, 03:22 AM
ureniashtram   Since Julian is Redguard serving in the Legion, ...   Jun 24 2010, 08:28 AM
Remko   Nah, Ruslan is out of the question imo. Not enough...   Jun 24 2010, 02:34 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Yes, I thought the Bruma recommendation ...   Jun 25 2010, 02:55 PM
SubRosa   Something told me I had more Oblivion Gates in my ...   Jun 25 2010, 04:08 PM
Acadian   Masterful, Rider! Julian is one cool woman...   Jun 25 2010, 05:50 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: I assure you, the knee will be a bum for...   Jun 27 2010, 07:05 PM
Acadian   Oh Rider, I love it when you feed me while I'm...   Jun 27 2010, 07:32 PM
SubRosa   I love the idea of doing the MG recommendation que...   Jun 27 2010, 07:53 PM
Olen   I go away for a Birthday and then a run and sudden...   Jun 27 2010, 11:07 PM
Winter Wolf   Still limping along here, lol! I will catch up...   Jun 28 2010, 06:08 AM
Destri Melarg   I have just finished Chapter 10.7 and I can’t wait...   Jun 29 2010, 02:06 AM
haute ecole rider   @Acadian: Yes, I’m sure Julian agrees the chow at ...   Jun 29 2010, 04:46 PM
SubRosa   Ales well that ends well, I always say. :D (sorry...   Jun 29 2010, 05:15 PM
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 07:39 PM