I'm terrified of them. [ 1 ] ** [2.70%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Wurlon
post Jul 19 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

I severe thunderstorm just swept through my area rough six hours ago, and I became interested in seeing what you people think of thunderstorms. I used to be afraid of them when I was litte, but now I enjoy watching them!

EDIT: .... I pressed the enter button and the fourth option of "I'm terrified of them" didn't get in >< curse the enter button!

Edit: Added the fourth option.
-Rane

--------------------
Sic Semper Tyrannis
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Saffas Missionary
post Jul 19 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Evoker

I lived in an area of constant storms. At first they were fun to watch, but I found they got boring after a while...so now im a "dont feel anything for them" person.

--------------------
IPB Image

Yes, this is my Signiture from another forum and I need a name change :P
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 19 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

I LOVE thunderstorms! Florida is the lightning capitol of North America so of course we get scads of thunderstorms. In a good rainy season (June-November=hurricane season ... June-August=rainy season) we get daily afternoon thunderstorms of terrific caliber. They come on ferociously out of intensely sunny blue skies and an hour after they've stopped the only evidence in the muggy returned sunny weather are the little puddles everywhere on the ground.

I still remember the night of Bob Hope's funeral ... the thunder was so magnificent that night it honestly sounded like the heavenly hosts were playing the great man a celestial drum solo soundoff goodbye ... or welcome you might say.

I do now though have steel-toed sneakers (black Reeboks, they're awesome) so I worry abit about what if I get struck by lightning, what'll happen? They still do have rubber soles of course. If anyone knows the physics of this please let me know because I'd like to walk freely around lightning without worrying. nono.gif

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 19 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Gah, thunderstorms! Ok they are beautiful as a phenomenon, to watch from far away......but I still suffer from the thunderstorm that hit my homearea at the 30th of may! two comps and a broadband router down the drain! So they are really a nuiscance

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
milanius
post Jul 19 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Agent

They're dangerous. And fun to watch. A poor man's Fireworks Show, I suppose...

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
mritchey
post Jul 20 2006, 01:27 AM
Post #6

Retainer

Before moving to Oklahoma six years ago, I would have said they are fun to watch. The ones around here tend to damage stuff on their way through!
+Quote Post
Megil Tel-Zeke
post Jul 20 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

I love watching t-storms, specially going out ot the dock and watching thm roll in. had a pretty impressive one a few days ago in wilmington. unfortunetly while fascinating and active it struck two of the brand new buildings on campus and shorted them out.

--------------------
"By keeping others at a distance you avoid a betrayal of your trust.
But while you may not be hurt that way you musnt forget that you must endure the loneliness."
Friendly Hostility Fanboi
+Quote Post
Zarrexaij
post Jul 20 2006, 04:10 AM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

I like watching them, but they're a pain when they come in when I'm on the computer, not to mention thunderstorms in Oklahoma is usually paired with a tornado somewhere.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 20 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

So mritchey & Zarrexaij both live in Oklahoma ... are you two related? Interesting that you are both from what seems to be a lesser populated state.

Three words when it comes to lightning storms and electrical equipment ... battery powered backup. Your surge suppressor for your computer and router and stuff should have that so the batteries can give an extra 30 seconds or so of power and your computer can get a soft-off that way instead of getting fried. I think that's how it works anyways. Cain's battling 4 headed Hydra in Shadowbane so I can't ask and be sure. teehee

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wurlon
post Jul 21 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #10

Knower
Group Icon

I live in the south-eastern corner of Pennsylvania... its like a little pocket of safety. We never get floods, tornadoes or anything of that sort! The worst thing we ever get is snow, but lately that hasn't happened!

I like to watch thunderstorms that aren't too severe from my garage, sometimes my dog and dad join me! winkgrin.gif

--------------------
Sic Semper Tyrannis
+Quote Post
Khajiit Overlord Rainer
post Jul 21 2006, 07:53 AM
Post #11

Finder
Group Icon

Uhg!

Rainer never gets any sleep when they come at night verysad.gif Terrified...

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 21 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm only scared sometimes when I have to be outside in the thunderstorms but some people in Florida are crazy. Like I was swimming in the pool and I could here what I thought was thunder rumbling from far away and one side of the sky was approaching dark clouds. So I said it sounded like thunder and the other people in the pool just said "No its those airplanes flying overhead." So we stayed in the pool. So then there was lightning at a distance at which time I flew up out of the pool ... but those other crazy people stayed in the water until the rain was just pelting down on the water like crazy. I mean, they were already wet .. guess it would have made sense if it wasn't for the lightning!

And everyone in Florida walks around in the rain like it isn't happening. No umbrella, no walking faster, no hunching down ... just strolling along business as usual. Its a warm rain usually and does feel pretty good after the killer hot humidity and sun so much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ThePerson98
post Jul 22 2006, 06:51 AM
Post #13

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mritchey @ Jul 19 2006, 07:27 PM) *

Before moving to Oklahoma six years ago, I would have said they are fun to watch. The ones around here tend to damage stuff on their way through!

Ah! A fellow Oklahoman.

I live up around Tulsa, and the storms always seem to aim there slightly. They always do stir up trouble, but fun to watch in my opinion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zarrexaij
post Jul 22 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

So mritchey & Zarrexaij both live in Oklahoma ... are you two related?
Not that I know of.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Megil Tel-Zeke
post Jul 22 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

"And everyone in Florida walks around in the rain like it isn't happening. No umbrella, no walking faster, no hunching down ... just strolling along business as usual. Its a warm rain usually and does feel pretty good after the killer hot humidity and sun so much."

Yeah after living in Central and S. America rain does not bother me in the slightest. I never understand why most americans start running when it starts drizzling. I just walk through it as if it's not there, even when it's rather heavy. It's just water after all. Besides I think i have only seen it actually "rain" once or twice in NC, most of what is considered 'rain' is nothing quite like what i am used to in Panama or Venezuela.

--------------------
"By keeping others at a distance you avoid a betrayal of your trust.
But while you may not be hurt that way you musnt forget that you must endure the loneliness."
Friendly Hostility Fanboi
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 23 2006, 02:42 PM
Post #16

Wise Woman
Group Icon

GAH! We´ve been having some the last two days again!.....I unplugged everything remotely like computers, telephone-lines and tv-antennas! Been uncommunicable since friday morning! kvright.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
1234king
post Aug 11 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(mritchey @ Jul 19 2006, 05:27 PM) *

thunder can't cause damage only lightning can

--------------------
Sigs are stupid!
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Aug 11 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

Like smoke and fire, where there's thunder there is lightning. May not be close to you and you may not see it but thunder is the sound that lightning makes when it breaks through the air. So be warned and aware.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mritchey
post Aug 12 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #19

Retainer

thunder can't cause damage only lightning can

Uh ... yeah, I know that. Thunderstorms bring not only thunder but the lightning, hail, high winds and tornadoes that have been known to cause damage from time to time.
+Quote Post
Abu the Cat
post Aug 12 2006, 05:46 AM
Post #20

Agent

Florida sucks! It's too humid there. Well, anyway, I voted they're a nuisence because my cat wants to go outside, and won't be quiet until he hears the thunder. Plus, on Oblivion, I can't see too far ahead.

--------------------

Bow down to one of my cats!

Se llama Abu! (His name is Abu!)

IPB Image
cryocry on TESSource

Join the Order of Shorn
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:05 PM