Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what u think of fallout 3?, What do you guys think of fallout 3?
Pseron Wyrd
post Feb 10 2013, 08:45 AM
Post #61

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 9 2013, 12:46 PM) *

How did you ever miss Megaton?? It´s right there for crying out loud! laugh.gif

I missed Megaton with my first character too. I almost always turn in 90 degrees and head left or right in any Bethesda game. I never entered the Imperial City on my first Oblivion character either.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 10 2013, 10:57 AM
Post #62

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Feb 10 2013, 08:45 AM) *

I missed Megaton with my first character too. I almost always turn in 90 degrees and head left or right in any Bethesda game. I never entered the Imperial City on my first Oblivion character either.

Tsktsk. It´s a golden rule in any game to go to the nearest town directly to "re-group" and get equipment. Fallout 3 is no different wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Feb 21 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #63

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 10 2013, 01:57 AM) *

It´s a golden rule in any game to go to the nearest town directly to "re-group" and get equipment. Fallout 3 is no different

Rules are made to be broken, my man. This applies to video games as well as to life. If there's a "Golden Rule" of video games my brain is hard-wired to do the exact opposite.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 21 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #64

Ancient
Group Icon

I missed Megaton my first time as well. After leaving the vault, I turned around and looked back at the big hill it was built into. Naturally I had to climb up to see what was there. That led to a firefight with the raiders living on the raised highway that runs to the north. Of course you can never kill just one raider, so the next thing I knew I was at the end of the highway, looking down at the ground far below and wondering if I could jump down onto the wreckage halfway down. It hurt, but I made it. So there I was in the middle of the map, just wandering around.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 21 2013, 08:57 PM
Post #65

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 21 2013, 02:26 PM) *

I missed Megaton my first time as well. After leaving the vault, I turned around and looked back at the big hill it was built into. Naturally I had to climb up to see what was there. That led to a firefight with the raiders living on the raised highway that runs to the north. Of course you can never kill just one raider, so the next thing I knew I was at the end of the highway, looking down at the ground far below and wondering if I could jump down onto the wreckage halfway down. It hurt, but I made it. So there I was in the middle of the map, just wandering around.

GAAAAH! You must have put all your points into strength! I found myself on that bridge and kept dying and dying - it was loaded with Raiders. But when I finally got past the truck blockade I was blinded by a glitch in the fabric, missing textures or meshes that created streaks in the screen that couldn't be seen through. In trying to seek cover from getting shot to death I fell off the bridge - did not live through it.

I finally ended up swimming across the river below and then just drinking Rad-X as soon as I got my hands on some. (there is some in a sunken boat in the river)

(the same missing meshes thing happened in Minefield the closer I got to that back corner).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 21 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #66

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Feb 21 2013, 07:43 PM) *

Rules are made to be broken, my man. This applies to video games as well as to life. If there's a "Golden Rule" of video games my brain is hard-wired to do the exact opposite.

I generally agree with that, but I´m no savage. I do have standards, "my man" wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Feb 24 2013, 05:27 AM
Post #67

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 21 2013, 12:18 PM) *

I do have standards

So do I. That's why I don't immediately go to the nearest town.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 24 2013, 07:46 AM
Post #68

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I go to the nearest town after the tutorial of most RPGs because I overload myself with supplies that I need to sell during said tutorial.

Basically it is both because I need to unload supplies and also because I like to see the world.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 24 2013, 09:25 AM
Post #69

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 24 2013, 07:46 AM) *

I go to the nearest town after the tutorial of most RPGs because I overload myself with supplies that I need to sell during said tutorial.

I forgot about that. I always end up with tons of stuff that I need to sell asap. So there´s my main reason to immediately go to the nearest town, Pseron. Sorry I didn´t think of that before. I do, as you know, start new characters with alotta time in between and I tend to forget stuff that´s far away...

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 24 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #70

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 24 2013, 01:46 AM) *

Basically it is both because I need to unload supplies and also because I like to see the world.

Most of my characters are the same way. After finishing the Oblivion and Skyrim tutorials my characters are typically hauling around a truck load of loot. If they go wandering around they cannot pick up anything else they find. The FO3 tutorial does not usually result in my picking up too much stuff, so it varies there. It just depends on how much of a greedy packrat whatever character I am playing is.

The FONV tutorial OTOH, got my characters almost no carry able loot. So they felt more free to wander. My most recent character used up all of her laser ammo in the tutorial though, so she had to go back to town to buy more.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 24 2013, 06:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 25 2013, 07:03 AM
Post #71

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 24 2013, 05:27 PM) *

Most of my characters are the same way. After finishing the Oblivion and Skyrim tutorials my characters are typically hauling around a truck load of loot. If they go wandering around they cannot pick up anything else they find. The FO3 tutorial does not usually result in my picking up too much stuff, so it varies there. It just depends on how much of a greedy packrat whatever character I am playing is.

The FONV tutorial OTOH, got my characters almost no carry able loot. So they felt more free to wander. My most recent character used up all of her laser ammo in the tutorial though, so she had to go back to town to buy more.

I actually enjoyed that the NV tutorial was so brief. For one it allows you to start new games without having to run back through a massive dungeon or sit through a 4 minute cutscene that can't be skipped.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 25 2013, 06:22 PM
Post #72

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 25 2013, 01:03 AM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 24 2013, 05:27 PM) *

I actually enjoyed that the NV tutorial was so brief. For one it allows you to start new games without having to run back through a massive dungeon or sit through a 4 minute cutscene that can't be skipped.

I hate those 4 minute cutscenes at the beginning of a game that cannot be skipped! mad.gif Mass Effect 1's drove me insane, because once you created your character it instantly threw you into that long, dragged out scene, and you could not see what your character really looked like until it was over. That is when I would realize I did not like something, and had to start the game all over again, and again, and again, until I finally got a character whose appearance I liked.

On one hand I enjoyed FONV's brief tutorial as well. As you said, it did not waste your time, and quickly turned you loose into the wild west. You even had the option to skip out on it at any point if you wanted. But OTOH, I do love the tutorial dungeons in FO3, Oblivion, and Skyrim. For me they are an opportunity to get to know my character better, before they are let out into the world. So to me they are kind of like a meet and greet between my and my character. The loot they pick up is just secondary (but who can resist picking up all that cash waiting to be spent?).

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 25 2013, 06:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 25 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #73

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 25 2013, 05:22 PM) *
On one hand I enjoyed FONV's brief tutorial as well. As you said, it did not waste your time, and quickly turned you loose into the wild west. You even had the option to skip out on it at any point if you wanted. But OTOH, I do love the tutorial dungeons in FO3, Oblivion, and Skyrim. For me they are an opportunity to get to know my character better, before they are let out into the world. So to me they are kind of like a meet and greet between my and my character. The loot they pick up is just secondary (but who can resist picking up all that cash waiting to be spent?).

To be honest, the brevity of FONV and Morrowind's tutorials is what makes them, in my opinion, the best I've evern played (with the notable exception of God of War II's tutorial, which was absolutely awesome); you're given the controls, you're given something to do and then you're booted out into the wider world and told; 'It's your adventure, go have fun in the big playground you have.'

Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Oblivion's tutorials were very good for the first run, but after that they quickly got boring. I was pleased that Oblivion and Fallout 3 had the option to rejig your character right at the exit, so you could start a new game and go straight into the world from then on, and I was surprised and maybe a little disappointed that Skyrim didn't give you that option.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 25 2013, 06:36 PM
Post #74

Master
Group Icon

Oh, I know. Made my Shepard on the assumption that they'd rebuilt his skull a few times. He now looks half-melted which was the plan, but he also has this scar on his mouth I didn't know about. His skin is fake dangit, he shouldn't have scars! sad.gif

But Fallout 3 is definitely worse than that. The whole tutorial has these character-build bits scattered throughout but you won't get a feel for any of it till you're out of there. Also, you can't be a ghoul which makes me a sad puppy.

After that, my opinion is more neutral. What I saw of it was quite charming really, but the world felt constrained and samey when you go towards the old city center. I've also never been good at first person shooters and melee is definitely less capable than in Oblivion which put a bit of a damper on the fun. I never got too far I'm afraid. And my current laptop refuses to run beyond the main menu. kvleft.gif

Edit: I like Morrowind's tutorial the best since it exactly gives you the feel you should have. A prisoner dumped on Vvardenfell with no clue or goal beyond building a new life and if you want to make some money, could you deliver this package?

Oblivion's has the downside of heavily frontloading all the plot into it and the rats breaking through the walls bit never made sense to me.

Skyrim's is quite similar to Oblivion but just a tad better in my opinion. The cutscene is nice the first time around and Bethesda knew people would want to skip it the second time around so it autosaves for you (as a real save, not one labeled auto-save) the moment you pop off the wagon in front of captain tryhard and Hadvar. They again frontload the big bad, but at the time it feels more like a random rampage from Godzilla than a "the world is doomed but you go save it by doing these things. Also, I die now."

And finally, having an npc to yell the tutorial at you makes it more immersive than having a sudden pop-up of 'instead of stabbing this rat, try throwing a fireball at it!'

If anything, Skyrim's tutorial only falters in the overly linear castle-part and the lack of a remake option at the end. At least Riverwood is optional.

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: Feb 25 2013, 06:44 PM

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 27 2022, 05:57 PM
Post #75

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Sep 9 2010, 07:07 PM) *

I don�t even mind Liam Neeson�s voice coming from my African-American version of him. What beefs my Wellington is that they didn�t bother to change the character model. They just darkened his skin and tweaked his hair a touch.

Whoa, what??? ohmy.gif I had no idea Daddy James changes skin color depending on which race we choose at the beginning.

Of course, I've only chosen Asian (Cho Zen Wan), Hispanic (Marge N. Overra), and Caucasian (Major A. Holl) as pure 101 beginnings. Vicious (Af. American) was started via the Alternate Start-Roleplayers mod. I think unless somebody chooses a black person at the 101 beginning, the difference with James's skin color is not noticable perhaps.

On topic, I love Fallout 3 of course. I don't know if I've ever said this before in these forums, but I would never have tried it if I didn't learn it's set in and around the D.C. area, which is where I live and grew up. cool.gif I always assumed it was a game in which there is some sort of constant war going on, which didn't sound fun to me. Once I learned it's set in alternate universe of the D.C. / Maryland / Virginia area, I had to then try this game.

At least try it. smile.gif If I hated it, that's fine. $20.00 down the drain, no biggie. But since it's set in the area I live, I figured I'd at least love to see what Bethesda did.

But I did not expect we begin literally at the beginning of our characters' lives. Or that the game is packed with humor, especially the G.O.A.T. and other portions of the opening tutorial had me rolling. And it doesn't end there. Especially during my early days with Marge and Cho, I'd spend so much time just laughing. At all the silly '50s-era ads which promise how great life is, even if you're headed into a Vault, it's like the Vault-tec folks wanted potential vault-dwellers to feel comfortable about what should be a horrible thing. laugh.gif Stuff like this makes me crack up. Even though it really shouldn't, I suppose.

There's the stuff NPC enemies say, which is just as funny sometimes as in Oblivion. "It's go time!" ... "Like shootin' fish in a barrel!"

The possibility for roleplay is also just as varied as it is with Elder Scrolls. And the game has also struck me with other emotions as well as laughter. When I left the vault for the very first time for instance I actually cried. sad.gif Because I was seeing my homeland all torn up.

whistling.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Jun 27 2022, 06:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 11 2022, 12:23 AM
Post #76

Ancient
Group Icon

Having started playing again after a fairly long break from the game, I have a few notes.

1. I am enjoying the hell out of the atmosphere. From the dusty wasteland, to the gloom laden interiors of crumbling buildings, and the utter darkness of The Metro, the atmosphere is just on point in Fallout3. Fallout4 may have better graphics and some interesting mechanics, but it doesn’t have as much to offer in the atmosphere department, IMO. I had forgotten just how much that impacts my playthroughs.

2. Weapon/armor/clothing degradation is just too rapid for my taste. Not a problem if you are playing on pc because you can mod this to be slower or nonexistent. I definitely think removing it was a good move in Fallout4, though honestly, I wouldn’t mind it being a thing if it were slower. I just went from Megaton to The Mall running the first leg of “Following in his Footsteps” and “Galaxy News Radio”, and man, continuously having to repair my gear annoyed me a bit. I’m not sure if a character that didn’t have a decent skill level of repair would even be viable in Fallout3. Sure, you can pay people to repair stuff, but that would burn through early game caps pretty quickly.

3. I remember the Metro being a lot worse than it is. I actually enjoyed wandering around down there this time around. Poking around in nooks and crannies and finding Chinese assault rifles and such is pretty satisfying.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Aug 11 2022, 02:32 AM
Post #77

Finder
Group Icon

I had a lot of fun with Fallout 3. It's a pretty-close-to-ideal distillation of the modern Bethesda formula (I guess Skyrim would be the ideal). Basically, you're presented with a wide-open world where you could go anywhere and do anything. That's probably the best way to approach the game, really: as a sandbox. And with mods, the fun is potentially limitless.

The Capital Wasteland is visually quite striking. I will admit, however, that I didn't find it as compelling a location as, say, the Mojave Wasteland. The experience in Fallout 3 is much more centered around the player: you're the star, and the world revolves around you. New Vegas, on the other hand, is more centered around the setting. There are bigger players than you, and you're all part of an even bigger system that you can change but never quite escape. I personally prefer this, but that's just my opinion.

What's more important is that Fallout 3 demonstrated the viability of the franchise. I played the very first game in high school, and the second game in college. In both cases, it was fairly difficult to find other people who knew about the game. Now, you can buy Fallout merchandise at mainstream clothes stores, which is not something teenage me would have ever imagined. Plus, New Vegas wouldn't exist without 3, so there's that, too.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 11 2022, 03:08 AM
Post #78

Ancient
Group Icon

Fallout 3 is on my list of game to import Blood Raven into in the near future. Not sure when, but it has been on my mind for a while now.

I could also do without the item degradation. Not just in Fallout 3, but in Oblivion. It just get tedious after while. In Oblivion I have learned to hotkey my repair hammers, and just repair everything after every fight. It does not add to the experience. It is just a chore that makes me tired of the game sooner than I ought to be.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 11 2022, 11:13 PM
Post #79

Councilor
Group Icon

Khajiit-- Yes, the atmosphere is great. Another thing which adds to atmosphere is the way everything is so haphazardly slapped together in this game. Looking at Megaton, or any raider camp, Beth really got creative. Concrete cinder blocks here, with half-broken metal scaffolding there, and so on. smile.gif It's all put together in such a way that the world feels sort of temporary. A solution is needed. We need a wall, for instance. Well, we can't go to Home Depot (there is no Home Depot), so what's the next best thing? What have we got on-hand which we can use to build ourselves a wall?

Maybe I'm weird but I like the weapon/gear degradation, and have chosen not to mod this out. It makes the world feel quite fragile. Something would be missing if this were suddenly gone. unsure.gif

Then again, do real guns fall apart so quickly? I have no idea. bigsmile.gif Probably not....

This post has been edited by Renee: Aug 11 2022, 11:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Aug 12 2022, 01:03 AM
Post #80

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 11 2022, 11:13 PM) *

Khajiit-- Yes, the atmosphere is great. Another thing which adds to atmosphere is the way everything is so haphazardly slapped together in this game. Looking at Megaton, or any raider camp, Beth really got creative. Concrete cinder blocks here, with half-broken metal scaffolding there, and so on. smile.gif It's all put together in such a way that the world feels sort of temporary. A solution is needed. We need a wall, for instance. Well, we can't go to Home Depot (there is no Home Depot), so what's the next best thing? What have we got on-hand which we can use to build ourselves a wall?

Maybe I'm weird but I like the weapon/gear degradation, and have chosen not to mod this out. It makes the world feel quite fragile. Something would be missing if this were suddenly gone. unsure.gif

Then again, do real guns fall apart so quickly? I have no idea. bigsmile.gif Probably not....

I don't have much experience with guns (I used to go trapshooting with my dad), but I doubt it. A lot of games with weapon degradation mechanics tend to exaggerate them to raise tension. Guns do need maintenance, but they typically don't fall apart that quickly. Maybe the radiation messes them up?

This post has been edited by WellTemperedClavier: Aug 12 2022, 01:04 AM
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:59 AM