73 Pages V « < 70 71 72 73 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blood on the Moon, A Journey of Discovery
SubRosa
post Apr 11 2020, 07:33 PM
Post #1421

Ancient
Group Icon

I just love this vision I have in my head of A & A wielding one of those big, two-person saws they show woodcuts of from the 1800s.

Looks like the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Uh oh, he's not just a giant, he's an ice-giant. Time to thaw him out.

Go to Solstheim. Save your friend. Prove yourself as a warrior.
Come out to the coast, we'll get together, we'll have a few laughs

At least with so many eyes, Karstagg presents a target-rich environment.

Up his nose with a rubber hose!

The size of a small hut, or the size of a small Hutt? I guess they are both the same... wink.gif

I wonder how much of that snow and ice went down the back of Athlain's shirt! ohmy.gif

So what now?

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 16 2020, 01:40 PM
Post #1422

Councilor
Group Icon

Thanks for answering my noob questions. Can you link me to the original story? I won't have time to read the entire thing but it'd be fun to see where it all started, especially since Morrowind is still relatively new to me.

Goodness, she's actually lighting those arrows, dipping them in oil. Guess she hasn't got any magical-fire arrows.

Meanwhile, Athlain had been moving in a random pattern, following my advice about staying away. It was so gratifying when he actually did what I asked.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, what now? Hmm? Hmmm???

This post has been edited by Renee: Apr 16 2020, 01:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 18 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #1423

Master
Group Icon

@haute- Truth to tell, I was not sure how they were going to beat Karstaag, either. Since white phosphorous grenades are in short supply on Solstheim, they used what they had. And the “raised eyebrow” is one of my favorite expressions in the story, because non-verbal communication can be so eloquent. Of course, if Athynae did not have her hands free, she would lose half her vocabulary....

@SubRosa- That was exactly the picture in my head also- the guys felling a redwood.... And it was fun to give Athynae the whimsical fantasy for a change. I would have to look at the Wiki to remember what is actually the best way to defeat Karstaag in the game- I do think that fire magic or weapons are effective. And yes- I imagine Athlain got more than just an ice cube down his spine from that avalanche. laugh.gif

@Renee- no worries on questions. When I first played Morrowind, I treated it like a standard, linear RPG, where you HAD to do the quests you were given in order to level up or advance. It took a LONG time for me to realize that it was really up to me if I did the main quest or not- and that I could play and enjoy the game even if I did not try to “do everything.”

Fire arrows- several things at work there. First- we did not think of magical arrows, although I know they exist as part of a DLC. (I forgot). Too, it seemed... more dramatic (and dangerous) for Athynae to have to handle flammable objects while also worrying about Athlain AND hitting her mark....

The original story- including some revision to the early chapters (which had somehow gotten “disappeared”) is here

Well- the first 5 and last 4 chapters, anyway. Chapters 6-9... um, those I will need to repost. Also be aware that the... “mid-quel”... Trey in Mournhold, is kinda scattered around in there too....

And now--- The Main Event! (Some of it, anyway).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

“So, what now?” Athynae asked, her words an echo of my own thoughts.

The question had barely died on her lips when a now-familiar shimmering disturbed the air in front of us and Hircine appeared once more, in his guise as the Hunter. We both reached for our weapons, thinking he might attack without warning, but it seemed he wanted to talk, at least for the moment.

“So- you are the ones. You have escaped my Hounds and beaten back the other challengers. I had rather expected the giant to prevail, but I see that the two of you have triumphed. And somehow, you managed to persuade the other two contestants to aid you. The soldier's choice did not surprise me, but Tharsten.... He took my gift many years ago, seeking immortality. Yet, in the end, he also joined your cause. There is something here that I do not understand. Regardless, you have proven yourselves worthy hunters and have earned the greatest honor that can be bestowed upon a mortal. You are to be my Prey.” He stopped and peered at us, seeming to gauge our silence. “In the past, the contest has been between myself and one other. And yet, there are two of you.”

Athynae had finally had enough. “Congratulations. You can count. So what?”

“So,” he spoke softly, as if weighing a choice, “it would be more in keeping with the rules of the Game if you... proved your worthiness by a contest of arms between the two of you, leaving only one standing. I should enjoy seeing that. A battle to the death between the Shadow's Shadow and the son of the Demon-Slayer. What say you?”

I struggled to understand what I thought the immortal idiot had just suggested- that he expected us to fight each other for an “honor” that neither wanted. As I tried to put my disbelief into words, 'Thyna was again ahead of me.

“How about you chase your tail? Or,” and she tightened her grip on Dreamer's hilt, “we can finish this now.”

The Daedra lord shook his head. “Is there something about the soil of the island from which you come that makes all of its people stubborn? First, his sire,” and he tilted his great spear to indicate me, “and now you.” I must have betrayed my surprise at his mention of my father, for the Hunter chuckled and nodded. “Oh yes. It was my hope to lure the one who slew poor, mad Dagoth Ur and freed an entire island. Such a one would have been a most worthy opponent. But he proved even more recalcitrant than Azura herself reported. No matter. My net has snared his son and my sister's own champion.”

He paused, resting the spear butt on the ground and wrapping his hands around the shaft, as if contemplating an interesting problem. “But now, what shall I do with two of you? I cannot choose one or the other- for if I did, how could I be certain I had weathered the storm? How if I face only the thunder but not the lightning? And, since you will not take this decision from me...” he paused as if awaiting an answer, and I held my breath.

Athynae might even now try to shield me from this fight, if she thought that doing so was in line with her vow to “keep me safe.” But instead, she placed her hand on my shoulder and said, “We fight together. Both, or neither, mongrel prince.”

Hircine nodded his head once, as if he had expected the answer. “It shall be as you wish.” He then raised his spear and made a complex series of passes in the air between us. I felt something... shift and found myself facing the Daedra alone. Athynae had disappeared.

“So now, I ask you though; what is it that makes a hunter great? Is it his strength? The speed with which he strikes? Or is it his guile, the ability to outwit his prey? Answer carefully mortal, for your reply will determine the aspect you face. To face me in all my glory would be less than sporting, so you shall face but one of my aspects, the one you choose. We have little time, for the Blood Moon sinks low in the sky. Prepare yourself, mortal, for you are now the Hunted.”

My mind flew to the deadliest opponent I had ever faced, the person who had just vanished from my side. And while she was strong and clever, her greatest asset was her speed. And more than that, I knew better than to try to match my strength against that of an immortal. As for guile, that was more an aspect of a thief, and my father had made his feelings about that quite clear. So. “Speed,” I told Hircine, still wondering where Athynae had gone and if I would ever see her again.

“The choice is made. Before we begin, you may request a boon of me. If it is reasonable, and within my power to grant, I will honor it.”

I had no desire to drag this ordeal out any further, so I said, “The only 'boon' I ask of you is that you die quickly and trouble us no more.”

“That I cannot promise. However, I will put your mind at ease on one account. Your companion awaits her own contest with one of my aspects. Or perhaps that battle is already concluded- time is such a slippery concept in this mortal realm. But you wish a rapid conclusion to our game, so let the contest begin!”

The over-sized humanoid shape wavered and changed, becoming a giant wolf, still sporting antlers on its head. The image should have been ridiculous, but the points on those horns could rend my flesh as surely as the fangs in the … creature's mouth. Hircine's aspect immediately began circling to my left, just like the animal he was representing, seeking to strike from my flank or rear, crippling me. In response, I feinted with my shield, driving him back. I could tell he did not care for the silver that outlined the boss and studded the rim. To survive, I needed to do whatever I could to negate his quickness. Ideally, I would accomplish that by injuring one or more of his legs. But attempting that so early in the fight would mean opening myself to his counter. However, if I could get the contest onto ground of my choosing, I would cut into his advantage. I needed to make the field smaller, and since I could not be sure of driving him into a corner, I needed to place myself in a defensible spot. Keeping my shield between us, I shuffled back a few steps, seeking a sheltered place along the wall. Seeing my intent, Hircine sprinted hard to my left and then dodged in, snapping at the elbow on my shield arm.

My mind was moving with unprecedented speed, weighing and discarding ideas. For an instant, I considered letting the bite get through, thinking that I could perhaps slam the Gift into his ribs. But this was a magical creature, not even from the mortal plane. Who could say what those fangs might do to my armor- or even my flesh? And this was the Hunter's aspect of Speed, as well. There was no guarantee my riposte would even succeed. So I drew my arm in close to my body, interposing my shield and watched as the parody of a wolf's teeth closed on empty air. As they did so, I felt a thrum within my breastplate, as if someone had flicked my chest to remind me of... my half of the Totem of Claw and Fang.

When he had given the parts to us, Korst had explained that we could use them to call “spirit animals” to aid us. In my case, it would be spectral wolves. Because I associated those creatures with the judgment and execution of Rikolfr, I had never tried to summon them. But now, with everything in the balance, I would use any weapon that might keep me alive. “Mac tíre biotáille," I shouted as I concentrated on the feel of the ivory fangs where they rested against my skin. Two shadowy forms appeared behind the Hunter's Aspect, splitting to either side of him. The blue glow of their eyes was somehow comforting, despite its eeriness in the dim cavern. They made no sound, but the threat was clear in the way they moved, bellies low to the ground and muzzles thrust forward with their teeth bared.

Now Hircine's avatar was the one seeking a place from which he could watch all of the threats at once, desperately turning as he tried to see all his opponents. I almost never spoke during combat, preferring to save my breath for more important things, like staying alive, but now I made an exception.

“You sought to put on the form of a wolf, but your understanding of those creatures is as corrupted as the monstrosities you create. True wolves form a pack and live and fight together, for the good of all. You fight alone and only in the service of your deranged 'Game.' You are a lone wolf. And do you know what happens to lone wolves? They are culled!”

At my last word, I jumped forward, swinging my mace at the Aspect's head. He ducked away, but could not avoid the spirit wolves who closed from behind, snapping at the rear legs of this mockery of themselves. Hircine whirled, trying to bite or impale his tormentors, but they dodged back out of reach. I took the opportunity to bring the Gift down on the monster's back. It was a solid blow, but still I felt it rebound from magically-enhanced muscle and bone. Still, the silver spikes threw sparks where they struck and the Aspect howled in pain. He also spun in place, a tip of one antler scoring along my vambrace and finding the joint between it and my gauntlet. My flesh tore and I snatched my arm away. I could feel blood running into the gauntlet and knew I needed to finish this fight quickly, before the wound drained my strength. As it was, I had trouble maintaining my grip on the Gift, and was grateful for the wrist loop Bryn had added to the haft.

The spirit wolves also sensed my plight, and redoubled their attacks, driving in with no concern for their own safety. Hircine had no choice but to concentrate on them once more, and he spitted the first with an antler. That spectral wolf dissipated into the Aether, but its companion lunged in and clamped onto the Aspect's throat. It then set its feet, as if it were holding a tethered guar in place. My right hand was too weak for an effective blow, but my shield could be used for offense as well as defense. I raised it high and brought the edge down like a cleaver. I heard a distinct “crack” as I broke the back of the Aspect and held firm as it sprawled to the ground.

A scream of protest shook the walls of the cavern. “No! This is not possible! How can a mortal defeat me?”

A sphere of light appeared near the ceiling, its color the blue of the early morning sky, and a voice that was deep, yet undeniably feminine, replied,

“Not all mortals are the same, brother As you have learned to your sorrow. And if you insist on playing with fire, you will get burned.

I raised the Gift in triumph and in honor of the one whose voice I knew that to be, and the sphere descended until it surrounded me. And before I could say a word or even think, time stopped.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 18 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #1424

Ancient
Group Icon

Finally Mr. "H" shows himself.

My what an honor he thinks it is to be his prey.

Hopefully Athlain will get his boon after all.

Athlain's observation about Hircine is right on the head. He is not a wolf, or a hunter, but a grotesque parody of one.

By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 19 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #1425

Master
Group Icon

I really loved how Athlain teaches Hircine the true aspect of wolves - that they are social animals that rely on teamwork to thrive. This is the part that jumps out at me.

For all that lone wolves are glorified in fiction, in reality theirs is a grim life and a short one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 23 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #1426

Councilor
Group Icon

Beautiful, thanks for that link. I'll take a gander at some early treydog material, after reading this latest chapter, The Stormcrow, and finally Buffy Book III.

Athynae and Treyson were once opponents? How'd they manage to become partners? ... Unless you mean they were merely opponents while sparring.

I like how Hircine cannot deal with our concept of time all that well. That's supposed to be how it really is, comparing 3 dimensions to other possible realities.

He summons wolves, which might be a bad thing? Maybe Hircine will be able to control these since the animal kingdom is what he's so associated with? Okay good. Apparently HIrcine can't influence these specters.

scream of protest shook the walls of the cavern. “No! This is not possible! How can a mortal defeat me?”

That's so epic! biggrin.gif

Uh oh, what's happened with Athynae?

This post has been edited by Renee: Apr 23 2020, 04:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 23 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #1427

Master
Group Icon

@Renee: Hircine separated them so he could fight each of them one on one. This is manifested at the end of the previous installment, when they were asked to choose which one would face Hircine alone, and neither would make that choice, instead vowing to fight him together.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 25 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #1428

Master
Group Icon

@SubRosa- We really wanted to emphasize Hircine's grandiosity, as well as his inability to grasp that most of the world would be happier if he (and his kin) just left them alone. And tied into that is his... fractured vision of the natural world. And yes, finally time for an overt Deus ex Azura. laugh.gif

She has been... around... a few times already, but she tries to be more circumspect in her “meddling” than other Daedric princes. And Athlain's (former) agnosticism might have something to do with that, too.

@haute- There was a great deal of symbolism with Athlain being given the wolf fangs of the Totem and Athynae the bear claws. And like most symbolism, it was not intentional, but revealed itself after the fact.

@Renee- The original Trey is still fun, mostly due to his personality. And then there are the familiar characters that we enjoy seeing once more. As haute said, Hircine was trying to convince them that it would be more in keeping with the spirit of his “Game” if they battled to the death, so that he only had to face the “True Champion”. Never mind that they did not ask to be part of the game, or that he seems to make the rules up as he goes along, or that- excepting Karstaag, they were able to forge alliances with all the other contenders. And actually, you have illustrated an important point of the story- that the kids FINALLY realize they are “better together” instead of each trying to be independent.

And now for the next part of the "Showdown on Solstheim" or the "Fracas in the Glacier" the... okay, I'll stop now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
“We fight together. Both or neither, mongrel prince.”

“It shall be as you wish.” He swirled his spear in an intricate design and I winced as the sensation of travel by spell or amulet passed through me and then I found myself alone, no Athlain and no Hircine anywhere in the chamber where I stood.

“That egotistical, vainglorious piece of Daedric shite!” I screamed into the icy caverns that surrounded me. Then, when I had just enough time for a deep breath, the ripple of colors in the air indicated Hircine’s arrival.

“You over-sized, pest-ridden, self-important piece of Daedric waste! Where is Athlain?

I will fight you both, but I’m not unintelligent, Daughter of the Dawn.” He shook his great antlered head. “I will fight each of you in single combat. I am facing you as I am also facing him. You are quite fond of name calling, but referring to me as 'self-important,' isn’t that like the kagouti calling the alit a beast?”

What he said registered on a level I’d never imagined, but this island and the trials we had faced had changed me in ways seen and unseen. I may have once been as he said, self-important, but that was before, before I’d met myself on this frozen wasteland, before I had faced beasts that only lived in books and nightmares. I had seen the difference in who I had once thought I wanted to be and who I truly could be.

“Maybe that was true at one time, but your little game has changed much for me, has changed much in me, and unfortunately for you; your game has made me into a much more worthy opponent.”

“Shadow’s Shadow you are.”
And he chuckled.

“I am many things. I have been called by many names, none of which will mean as much as Champion when I defeat you.” Even as I stood face to face with the eight foot monster, I felt myself sliding into oneness with the warrior that resided very close to the surface.

“You have done well, daughter of Redoran.”

“Ah, yet another name. Are you just trying to show me you’ve done your research on me? I assure you whatever you think you know is less than the reality.”

“Very well, Miss Sssaaarrreeetthhi,” he stretched the name like it was a jest. “I am feeling magnanimous. You and your...,” he paused in thought, “Student? Friend? Betrothed? No matter what he is to you, the two of you have impressed me and therefore I wish to offer you a boon. Anything you desire that is in my power to give.”

I looked at him suspiciously. “Why?”

He released his staff with his left hand and waved it, “As I said, you have impressed me. I merely wish to offer you a reward for making it this far, a gift before you die.”

“Ah. So, just a question- did you offer Sosine a boon before he sent you back to your realm of Oblivion, or after he created armor from your hide?” I smiled at him as if to say ‘gotcha’.

His face darkened for a moment then cleared. “You are impertinent, little elf.” I raised Dreamer menacingly and he actually flinched a bit. “That was another Game and has naught to do with this one.”

I smiled knowingly, “Just curious.” I’d hit a nerve, and my satisfaction at that small bloodless strike bolstered me a tad more than it should have. “I’ll take my boon then, beast.”

“Speak, Azura’s champion.”

“I wish to see my parents.”

“Your wish is granted.” And he swirled his spear, slicing a spell into the air like a master carver works wood.

I had a brief glimpse of Mama and Papa and Uncle Seth all gathered around a crib, staring wide-eyed into the face of a babe, a newborn who had lavender eyes. Then the vision changed, as Uncle Seth held me on his lap, with Mother kissing me goodnight. Uncle Seth stared at me as if he were truly right in front of me, mouthing words that echoed into my brain, “You are the best of all of us.” And as I looked from his face to the infant's face, my face, I saw what I had missed for 20 years- the indisputable resemblance in our features.

Confusion and clarity warred inside my head. For long moments my lungs felt like they’d been emptied of oxygen and my heart stuttered. “You will forever be Her Highness Princess of Trouble. You are my princess.”

And the confusion dissolved. The pain, for several breaths, was the worst I’d experienced in my entire life. It was a testament to my determination not to show weakness that kept me on my feet. I willed the moisture that was gathering in my eyes to dissipate and raised my head to stare into the eyes of the beast that had done everything possible to cause me pain, both physical and mental, since I had arrived here to help Athlain. And I smiled at him, my expression more savage than that of his Hounds.

“First you tried to win me to your side by attempting to infiltrate and poison my mind with your taunts and cajoling. Then you erased the last lines of the potion Athlain moved mountains to obtain so he could cure me, leaving me night blind but with an uncanny sense of smell and hearing. And all the other attacks of stupidity that did not work to defeat us. So now you show me a secret that has been held in confidence by my parents, all three of them! A secret they kept for reasons neither you nor I know. And you hope this knowledge will weaken me? That you will improve your chances of defeating me by showing me the truth? Do I frighten the Lord of the Hunt that much?”

“I simply granted your wish.” By the gods, he looked so smug.

“Then let’s see how well your ploy has worked,” I paused for effect, “demon.”

The words slid out of my mouth, lubricated with hatred for this abomination before me and I was utterly still. I was going to remove this plague of the Mundus just as the Blight had been ended on Vvardenfell. My nerves were not twitching in fear anymore; they were blazing with fury for the coming fight.

“This is still my game, little elf,” he sneered at me. “So now you must choose the aspect you face.” He tilted his head to the side. “You may select whichever you think will give you advantage over me. Strength, speed or guile. And the aspect you choose is the one you will face.”

I had no intention of playing yet another game of tricks with him. He had been moving all the pieces on the board since Athlain had been lured here. And since I’d followed him, true to my vow to keep him safe, it had only gotten worse. I had faced a number of the Daedra prince's tricks and did not wish to do so again. Therefore, guile was out of the question. Speed or strength then. Although I knew my own speed was acceptable, could it match his? And besides, I was not running a foot race. A warrior, a true warrior, relied on their strength. Not just the strength of their body, but the strength of their mind, their ability to plan, focus, and adapt, mid-battle. The choice I made would take nothing from me; it would only determine how Hircine presented himself. My abilities would remain as they were, whether speed, strength or cunning, I refused to think of it as guile; to me there was a difference. Mother and Seth had been teaching me all of my life how to use my mind and my body until I could move almost involuntarily- everything working in concert, without slowing down to think. Now came the test of a lifetime.

“I choose Strength.”

“Are you sure, little elf?”

“Call me 'little elf' again and I’ll be wearing your jewels around my neck when this is over.”

“Very well, Daughter of the Shadow.”

“If you think anything you say or do will affect my ability. you are more stupid than you look with that dog's face and antlered head.”

He made no answer, but waved his spear again. And where the giant figure of a man had stood, now a bear appeared. But it wasn’t just a bear like the ones I had encountered in the wilds; this one was gargantuan, and again had those ridiculous antlers on its head. Its mouth opened and Hircine's voice emerged, “Prepare to die. Child of the Dawn. I’ll make sure and give my sister your regrets.” And he lunged.

I jumped to the side, but one of his massive paws knocked me off balance. I rolled across the icy floor and then bounced to my feet. “It won’t be necessary.” In the back of my mind I was replaying the fight in the cave when I was suffering from lycanthropy, when I had faced a great bear. In the main, I was seeking a defensible position that wouldn’t limit my movement with Dreamer. My best option was just trying to place myself with the wall to my back close enough that he couldn’t get behind me. And despite his initial attack, I could tell he was slow. On the other hand, I could not afford to let him hit me squarely.

He looked toward me and roared, his jowls flaring as the air rushed out. “What? You think roaring is going to scare me to death? Come taste the edge of my blade, you big ball of Daedric fuzz.” As he ran toward me I leapt, somersaulting over his head as he ducked down to bite at my body. It was the same move I had attempted against the Hound, the one that had caused that deep wound to my leg. But this time, because Hircine was in bear form, it worked. He could not reach a front paw up like the Hound. As I passed, I dragged Dreamer down his back and he bellowed in pain. I only regretted that the wound was not deeper as I landed, rolled and regained my feet before he could turn to face me again.

“Call to me, Daughter of the Dawn.”

The voice was a whisper that I recognized immediately. It was the Spirit Bear who had passed her beating heart to me at the end of the Ristaag. I placed my hand over my heart and the totem that hung there and spoke the words that would call her. With a blaze of light, she danced into existence beside me. She faced the misshapen bear that was Hircine and roared as he had. I smiled once more,“Your move, dung face.” The snow white bear at my side snorted. It was obvious the Daedra was trying to decide which of us to attack as he stood there growling and shaking his head, protesting the arrival of my companion.

“You brought friends to play?”

“Your game, remember? I only did what I was instructed to do. I guess loyalty begets loyalty.”

He charged at me and the great white bear smacked him, sending him sliding. Unfortunately, as he rolled, he reached out a massive paw and batted me aside. I hit the wall with a crack, sending ice shards flying and then slid to the floor, the air knocked from my lungs.

Had it not been for the white bear I would have been done then, but she and Hircine were on their hind legs, biting and clawing, blood flying from both of them. I regained my feet and my breath and started swinging at his back legs. The blows that should have gone all the way to the bone barely made a mark, just enough to cause blood to trickle. I had to find a more vulnerable spot, so I rolled around and braced myself against the Spirit Bear’s flank, then set Dreamer and yelled, “Move now!” As she jumped to the side, I drove my sword up. It was a good stab, just not where it needed to be; I’d missed the heart, but I’d left a much better mark than the attempts at his legs. Dreamer had gone in almost to her guard and I twisted and yanked down as I pulled her free.

Hircine retreated and I looked to my companion who had sustained multiple deep gashes all over her upper body. “No worries for me, little one; I’m already gone. Finish this.”

I turned to find Hircine close enough to count hairs as he swung a massive paw at my head. I didn’t have time to think how I should move, I simply jumped as his claws raked across my abdomen, scoring my leathers and my flesh as well. But in return, he got a shard of Nordic silver for his trouble. The edge of a reinforcing armor plate had cut deep into his paw. Though I stumbled when I landed, I kept my feet under me. His reaction to that shard of silver had me reaching for a couple of stars. I knew they wouldn’t kill him, but they would help to slow him down. The first sank deep in the meat of his neck and as he grabbed at it with his undamaged paw and turned, I sent the other into the back of his knee. The smell of silver burning were meat was disgusting, but his roars of pain made for a hopeful tune.

I knew letting him rest was not a good idea, so I charged in again and stabbed just behind his front leg and did the same as I had before while extracting my blade. I was getting weaker from the blood loss and knew I had to end this now. The Spirit Bear was still beside me. She didn’t look any better than I did, but she spoke again.

“You must get onto his back and drive your blade between his shoulders. I will raise you up.”

She knelt and I climbed on. The silver was doing its work, for Hircine was still trying to dislodge the stars as I leapt to his back and drove Dreamer down between his shoulders as hard as I could, and twisted, sawing the ebony blade back and forth. Then I pulled her out and plunged her in again, holding on with my legs as tight as I could.

Hircine went to the floor with me still on his back and I looked to the Spirit Bear, who seemed to smile just before she winked out of existence. I rolled away from the dying monster, sliding to the floor and reaching for a potion. It was all I could do to stay on my feet as the Aspect of Strength winked out of existence and a shimmering apparition of Hircine stood before me, screaming his disbelief.

“How? How could some little elf girl and some unknown boy who can’t even wield a sword defeat me? How?” He was glaring at me and I just looked up and smiled, relief flooding me with the knowledge that Athlain had defeated him as well, and that Athlain still lived.

“You made a serious miscalculation. Don’t you know what a Lilliputian elf is?” I’d have laughed harder if it didn’t hurt so much, but the potion had slowed the bleeding somewhat.

“What a what?”
Having the apparition goggle at me in confusion was almost as great a victory as sending him away.

“Never mind. Inside joke, I suppose. I am the daughter of Serene and Athyn Sarethi and of Sethyas Velas; I am the Daughter of the Dawn, your sister’s own champion; I am a daughter of Redoran and now, you overblown wind bag, I am the Champion of the Hunt. My father, Sethyas, always told me to never start a fight, but once the first punch was thrown, to finish it. And Athlain, well, he learned the same lesson and, as the son of Trey, he carries greatness just as I do.” I was rasping toward the end, but my words were strong enough. “You went after Trey, a man I admire and respect and love. His son and I answered the call for him.”

“Aaaaahhh!” He had his fists in the air, bellowing like a petulant child who’d been punished.

“Being a bully is never a good plan and you are a bully. I hate bullies. Now go back to wherever it is you came from and leave this island alone. When you see your sister, tell her I said thank you for everything.”

He shimmered out of existence, an amulet falling at my feet out of thin air. And then the cave started to rumble and shake. I didn’t have the strength to run, so I went to one knee and shielded my head with my hands and prayed to Azura for aid once again.

I don’t know if I passed out or fell asleep or was just delirious from fatigue and blood loss and hunger. But the picture in my mind was the small cabin where I’d cured Athlain, the place where I think I first realized that my love for him was more than friendship. It had been so peaceful as I brought him back from the brink. My consciousness left me with that picture etched like one of Aunt Baria’s paintings on the backs of my eyelids.

I became aware, slightly, of sounds- breathing, shuffling across a floor. I didn’t want to open my eyes. I just wanted to absorb the comfort of the cot I was lying on and appreciate the silence a little longer. I had defeated Hircine and I knew from what he’d said before he disappeared that Athlain had as well. We had won. We had won. I tried to take a deep breath in and realized the pain in my torso had decreased and there was something constricting my ability to breathe deep.

“Princess? Are you awake?”

“Uncle Seth?” I muttered without opening my eyes and then I remembered. He wasn’t Uncle Seth; he was my father. I felt warmth sliding down from the corners of my eyes into my hair.

“Open your eyes Princess, for me? Please?” Seth put his hand to my cheek and wiped the tears with his thumb.

“Tea.” I said, without opening them. He chuckled and then I smelled the glorious brew. I tried to sit up and he put his hand behind my back and adjusted the pillow behind me and then put the cup into my hands. I held it to my nose and breathed in that most wonderful aroma. I took a sip and then opened one eye and looked at him. “How bad?’ The sitting up had sent pain radiating through me all the way to my toes.

“You aren’t dead,” he said in a monotone.

“Well that’s good to know.” And I opened the other eye and looked at his face to see concern but not excessive worry.

“Three broken ribs, too many stitches to count across your abdomen, a nice cut on the back of your head and you have a beautiful blue color mixed with purple and black across your left cheek.”

“Is it in the shape of a black hand?” I didn’t smile as my eyes bored into his.

“Nay Princess, it is only a bruise.” He rose from his kneeling position and stood over me. “You need to eat before we talk.” And he walked to the fireplace and I watched as he filled a bowl and carried it back to me. Real food. My belly rumbled, loud. “Eat,” he said and handed me a spoon.

I downed a stew that was delicious, and wondered how he could cook so well and I could barely boil water. I could mix some of the best potions, but for some reason any attempts at cooking failed miserably. I couldn’t even brew a palatable cup of tea. I handed him the empty bowl and adjusted my body, trying to ease the pain from the broken ribs while he carried the bowl back to the hearth.

“Why?” I asked while his back was to me.

He didn’t turn, just put both hands against the mantle and sighed. “It was never our intention to hurt you.”

“I know that, but why? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“We tried. That’s why Serene gave you her journals before you left.”

“I still don’t understand. Why have I not known this all my life? And how did it happen? Why let another man raise your child?”

“Another man is raising all three of my children.” Then he turned to look at me, a mix of guilt and pride warring on his face.

My guts twisted then, and it took several moments to process what he’d said. I started to tremble, and I didn’t know what to say, or what to ask. I just stared at him, trying to find enough space in my lungs to suck in precious air.

“May I start at the beginning?” And he reached for the stool and carried it to the side of the bed.

I just nodded; I didn’t trust my voice.

“Serene and I have known each other for a very long time.” I listened as he recounted succinctly his and Mother’s relationship before and after she met Papa. “It may not be what anyone would call normal or conventional, Princess, but we all three care deeply for one another. At first Serene and I were unaware that Athyn knew anything about us, and we tried to end it for the sake of everyone. Neither of us wanted to hurt Athyn. Then, when Serene became pregnant with you, she was beyond overjoyed. She believed it was Athyn’s child, as did I. And he was as happy or happier than she was. When she was past the morning sickness and fatigue that comes in the first stages of pregnancy, Athyn asked us to join him in his study. He had something important to share with us. He told us he knew, had known since the beginning, about our relationship. He wasn’t angry- just sad that we hadn’t told him, but not angry. Your Mother and I were stunned, but that wasn’t all he had to share. He told us that, due to the sickness during the Blight, he was no longer able to produce children, and that the child Serene carried could not be his biological child. Serene almost collapsed out of her chair. I can’t explain how I felt in that moment. He begged us to allow him to go on and so we did. We didn’t have a choice really; I don’t think either of us could have said anything anyway.

“I am elated at the prospect of a child. I thought I would never again know the joy of hearing a child’s laughter in my home, our home.” He looked lovingly at Serene, “I want this child as much as you do, my love. But I did not want this blessing to be an untruth, and I could not take the joy away from you either, Sethyas. This is your child as well. I have never judged negatively the love the two of you share because I know it has not lessened Serene’s love for me. I also know that we both, Sethyas, love her and each of us provides something that she needs, not only to live, but to thrive happily. It may not be easy to do, but I have thought on this since I found out about the pregnancy. It is my heart’s desire that we raise this child together.’ And we decided that Athyn would be your recognized parent; the position your Mother held made that the only real choice. We didn’t intend for it to be a secret forever. but finding the right time to tell you once our positions in your life were established…” his words trailed off.

I reached and put my hand on his knee; he had his head down, resting his forehead on his palms. “I avoided Mother’s journals. I just felt there was something there that I didn’t want to know. I think that’s why I took your journals from Uncle Trey, because I knew something was wrong. Is this why Papa was so distracted before I left? Mother too?”

“Athyn fears you will hate him for lying to you and Serene feels the same.” He looked up at me with a sad smile.

“And you?” I could feel the tears tracking down my face and I didn’t care.

“I have always feared that one day you would hate me, whether for this or something else in my past.”

“Hircine used this secret to try to weaken me when nothing else he had used worked. I don’t know how he knew, but since he’s a Daedric prince I suppose he can know anything he wishes to know. And it did hurt; I won’t lie, but not for long because I realized something very quickly. I am one of the blessed. I have not just two parents that love me, I have three. And had it not been for the love and support, the training and guidance that the three of you provided, together, I would not be here right now. Without all of you, I would not have been able to defeat Hircine.”

“You have matured into the most amazing person I believe I have ever known, Athynae Sarethi.” He clasped my hand as it laid on his knee.

“Athynae Sarethi-Velas?” I smiled with tears flowing.

“Only in the dark corners of our minds, Princess. We cannot allow this secret to be common knowledge. It would ruin your mother.”

“Do Rahvin and Breana know?”

“They do. When we knew you were facing Hircine we felt obligated to tell them.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kazaera
post Apr 26 2020, 09:44 AM
Post #1429

Finder
Group Icon

I'm finally back up-to-date! I've been putting off on catching up because it had been such a long time since I'd read the story from the start that I would have liked to do that again in order to really understand what was happening with Athynae and Athlain. Alas, I never could find the time, so I decided to give up on it for now and just start reading again from where I thought I'd left off. And I'm glad I did - true, details like Tharsten's relationship with Athlain and where the spirit wolves/spirit bear came from were lost on me, but I could absolutely still appreciate the climax, and how Athynae and Athlain have changed since starting their journey.

Athynae and Athlain

Although the sniping back and forth with zero understanding of why was hilarious, at some point character development does have to kick in, and here it did it so very beautifully. I loved their conversation about what they were to each other and fighting to live. It wasn't explicitly romantic, which struck me as very much *right*, because trying to untangle that mess would have been a distraction from the situation they were in and at the core of it that aspect wasn't really important - what was important was that before they went into the fight, they cleared the air on how important they were to each other, how they did respect each other and how they were a team. (Also, Adryn was bouncing up and down in the back of my head at the "fight to live" part - she has a fairly different take on honour than these two, but she can absolutely get behind the "no pointless suicidal gestures" thing. Adryn says wouldn't it be great if we ALL came home from this!! This is Redoraning she can support!)

The climax

Had me on the edge of my seat! I love the level of strategy that went into the fight with Karstaag (and intermittent lack of strategy, I laughed at loud when Athynae went "OK, so the plan went great, but Athlain seems to have neglected the next step!") Their whole approach really brought home that this was a GIANT and they could not fight him toe-to-toe. I also really appreciated Athynae's brief moment of loss after his death, and recognition that he wouldn't have even been in this situation if not for Hircine - I'm not sure if she'd have had that level of introspection at the start of all this.

I admit that after that, I wasn't sure how the fight with Hircine could possibly top it, BUT you pulled it off! I loved that Hircine insisted on separating them, and his brief suggestions of a fight to the death between them where they both went "hell no". The way each fight went differently against different aspects yet was in spirit the same, and the spirit animals playing the crucial role. And the way they effectively rejected his boon, too. Hircine is, of course, a scumbag who went for the psychological warfare approach, and it's amazing to see Athynae smack that down.

And, of course, the closure on Athynae's parentage at long, long last. ...ahem I think there's something in my eye.

Thanks so much for sticking with this! It's fantastic, and one day I really will have to open page 1 and start this all over again to really have the story unfold in the way it was meant.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 26 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #1430

Master
Group Icon

What Kazaera said - every single word.

I can't think of anything else to add . . .

SGM please? Just a teeny bit more? Like what happens to them now?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 26 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #1431

Ancient
Group Icon

I was almost expecting Athynae to call Hircine a scruffy nerf-herder! laugh.gif Nice jab of hers about Sosine and Savior's Hide. I also appreciated the Kagouti calling the Alit black remark. It fits right in with "Reman for your thoughts" or "I'll put Septims to Sausages".

Her Highness Princess of Trouble is definitely a name Athynae has lived up to! laugh.gif

That was a wonderful reveal of who Athynae's biological father is. Yet at the same time her own words reveal that she understands the value of the father she found - or who found her.

Now we see Athynae's superhero move pay off, when used against the right opponent. I was wondering if she would be calling on spiritual assistance as well, and that pays off too. I like this, because it shows that A & A were not just grinding up levels to get here. They have been making alliances by simply being true to their natures. Now those allies are here to stand for them in turn.

And a nice coda as she meets Sethyas, and finally learns the full story. Such a 'sticky' situation usually involves a lot of murdering. How the three handled it shows a lot of character in them all. Athynae is lucky to have three parents like that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 27 2020, 06:05 PM
Post #1432

Councilor
Group Icon

I liked the "fighting fire with fire" aspect of each battle, especially as it showed that Hircine didn't understand the nature of the creatures as well as they did. Perhaps it's because he's never been on their side?

You gave Athynae the amulet reward, but I didn't notice anything for Athlain, but maybe that's just because he didn't notice, either.

And of course I'm disappointed that you didn't manage to cover the third option, somehow. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
treydog
post May 2 2020, 07:53 PM
Post #1433

Master
Group Icon

@Kazaera- It is a pleasure to have you reading once again. I admit I find myself rather going pale at the thought of looking over all of the story from the start. (Although that is happening, slowly).

These wonderful warriors cannot help themselves- they are constantly in competition, even when they think they aren't. But... they have finally learned to work together, too. And yes- we really enjoyed making the romantic aspect something other than the usual “will they- won't they?” and “what impact will it have on the story?” Having them be willfully blind to what anyone who watches them together for 5 seconds can see has been great fun... An Adryn-approved strategy is a fine thing... Perhaps we are seeing a slow, painful, and slow (again) evolution of Redoran thought processes? Maybe Adryn had more influence than she realizes?

Karstaag- it was important that he be impressive and that a “just go in and start hitting” plan was a non-starter. And I agree that Athynae's introspection about the loss of someone unique- even an enemy- is a product of experience and personal growth. And then- it is gratifying beyond words that you feel we got the battle with Hircine right. Fight scenes are hard- I want them to be “fantasy, swords-n-sorcery” realistic- meaning physics still rules and it is a cheat to just say- “My lead character was better, because I am the writer and I say so.” A win needs to be a WIN- and even the supernatural help has to be EARNED, and not extremely unbalancing.

And yes- the fact that “Uncle Seth” is actually “Papa Seth” has been around forever- we just wanted to hold the reveal until almost the end. Thank you so much for reading and also for your writing.

@haute- Thank you and bless you. You have contributed much to this story- directly as well as indirectly. And your wish- at least SOME of it, is granted. A little closure coming right up.

@SubRosa- Athynae's epithets for Hircine have been great fun to write- including telling him to “go chase his tail.” And we decided to give Sosine the honor of having been the “Unnamed Hero” who first defeated Hircine as a nice little “things go in cycles” nod.

Seth as Athynae's biological father was an agreement amongst Athynae (the writer), minque (creator of Serene), Black Hand (creator of Sethyas Velas), and me. We knew from the other stories that Serene and Seth had been involved, and wove that together with the Morrowind concept of “The Curse of Seed” to make it impossible for Athyn to have fathered any more children. That was the “easy” part. The way Athynae's reaction ultimately played out was written and rewritten- numerous times. And the version here was the first one that showed her acceptance- as opposed to the predictable reaction she would have had if she had not gone through so much. And also- as you note- the key to it all is the way the three parents feel about one another.

@ghastley- The identification of each of the kids with a totem animal started to appear rather by accident. So- we just went with it. (When your characters give you a gift, best to say “thank you” and go on.) Athlain's reward was less tangible, but meant as much to him. He will forever be known as one of the “Champions of the Hunt.” Sharing the title with Athynae is no hardship.

The way A & A saw it, the third aspect- Guile... that was something Hircine used throughout the ordeal, including during the one-on-one fights.

@Everyone- so now, here we are- the last story post. I will have more to say later- but for now, this story has gone (and taken me) places I never expected. In original concept, it was going to be a fairly quick, straight telling of the Bloodmoon DLC. The only “twists” I conceived at the beginning were Athlain's skooma addiction and that it would turn the “shining knight rescues fair maiden” cliché on its head. That is- Athynae was going to have to come and save Athlain. Oh- and the ending that you are about to see. That I pretty much wrote on the same page as I wrote the beginning. I hope that ending is pleasing to you all.

-----------------------------------------------------

The stasis left me, and I was standing once more over the remains of Hircine's Aspect of Speed. In that moment I knew that all of the frustrations, all of the training, all of the doubts had brought me to this moment. And I knew something else, something even more important. My voice was thick with emotion as I shouted into the echoing darkness, “Hircine! Do you not know who I am? I am Trey's son! Trey's son!”

And an answer came from the shadows, a quiet voice, a beloved voice. “Yes you are. And I have always been proud of you.”

And then the speaker stepped into the dim light and I ran to embrace him, even as I stared in disbelief. “Dad? But... how?”

I could hear the smile in his voice as he clasped me to him. "Well- I am rather good at getting into places. I used to be a thief, you know. Plus, I had some help." And he indicated the Moon and Star ring which was now on his hand instead of on its usual chain around his neck I would have asked more questions, but just then there came a loud bellow of outrage and the ice of the glacier began to rumble and crack all around us.

My father said, "I think that's our cue to leave."

Some of my old stubbornness made an appearance as I folded my arms and asked, “But what about Athynae?"

"That roar means she has won."

“But-- where is she?”

He placed a hand on my shoulder and took out a Recall amulet with the other. “She is safe. She will find you- she always could. But now- there is a different red-haired woman who asked me to bring you home. And I am far more afraid of her than Athynae.” He spoke the words to activate the amulet and I felt the familiar wrenching in my middle as we left that place forever and went home.

We did not stay there for long; a message had arrived directing me to report back to Fort Frostmoth “forthwith.” I was a bit mystified as to why my parents insisted on going with me, a mystery that was resolved when I received my knighthood from Captain Carius. I was pleased to receive the honor, as it was a dream I had held onto since I could remember. However, I was a bit ambivalent about the wound on my wrist where Hircine's antler had scored me, or rather the scar that had formed in its place. The scar was in the shape of a crescent moon, and I wondered about the implications of that mark.

True to my father's prediction, Athynae was safe and she did find me, after only a few days that felt like years as I fretted over her absence. The 'Thyna that returned was much like the one who I had last seen in the glacier- except that she seemed quieter and more thoughtful. We recounted our individual duels with the Hunter's aspects, but took no real joy in our triumphs, only a quiet satisfaction that we shared the title of “Champion”. And somehow, our sojourn on Solstheim seemed to be fading into the past, more like a dream than a memory. But we understood that our reality had also shifted, that something fundamental had changed, in each of us, and between us. I was not sure what those changes would mean; I only knew that with Athynae, everything was an adventure and all I could do was hold on.

The End?

Epilogue

From the records of the Imperial Legion, Fort Frostmoth, Solstheim:

By order of Falx Carius, Commander. Created Knight Protector of the Legion, Athlain ap Baria Treyson.

At his own request, resigned commission as Knight Protector, Athlain ap Baria Treyson.

An announcement posted throughout the Vvardenfell District and greater Morrowind:

Grand Opening!

New Apothecary in Ald’ruhn!

We will stock the most exotic ingredients and most efficacious potions available anywhere in Morrowind. Our agents travel all of Tamriel to find quality products and transport them magically to you to ensure freshness.

Trey and Son Fine Potions, Elixirs, and Restoratives

A conversation at Indarys Manor, Vvardenfell ( a portion):

“The Legion has not accepted your resignation yet? You still have your uniform?”

“Yes, Mother- but why?”

“Because you will have need of it. Thank the Nine for bureaucracy!”

An announcement from Sarethi Manor, Ald’ruhn, Vvardenfell (a portion):

Serene and Athyn Sarethi are pleased to announce the upcoming….

A letter from the Imperial City to Indarys Manor, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind (a portion):

Misses Maesa and Caia:

The Imperial Players appreciate your generous offer of patronage. In fact, for such a munificent sum as you have tendered, we are more than happy to accept your request that we perform the play you submitted, and to hold the premiere at the Ald Skar Inn in Ald’ruhn.

Although we normally stage only classical material, we believe your treatment of Athlain the Brave will do quite well in the provinces. If you do not mind my asking, is it true that the script is based on a Nord drinking song? That would certainly explain the- spirited nature of the play, with the exchanges of "Fine!” and the slamming of doors.

As to the schedule…

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 2 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #1434

Ancient
Group Icon

And a nice cameo by Trey, here at the end of Athlain's story of finding himself. It brings things back around, but now we finally see Athlain not only standing out from his father's shadow as his own man, but also still retaining that connection to his father. Not an easy trick.

And a cheerful ending, in which everything turns out Fine. biggrin.gif

Bravo on finally finishing the beast! I bet at times it felt like wrestling with a dragon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post May 3 2020, 12:59 AM
Post #1435

Master
Group Icon

Whew! What a ride it has been! I hear you about your initial vision of it being a quick in-and-out of the BotM storyline and being sucked into the maw of a ravenous, hungry, insatiable beast. I can't begin to tell you how many times THAT has happened to ME! (and to other writers on this forum, I am quite certain . . .)

I chuckled at Falx Carius's report, guffawed at the conversation around the Legion uniform (you can take them out of the Legion, but you can't take the Legion out of them . . . I'm sure Acadian will recognize this mangled maxim), and laughed out loud over the negotiations over the debut of what is to be sure the most popular play to ever take the stage anywhere!

And yes, I am quite satisfied with the ending of this "little" tale. Though maybe I am overthinking now, but do I sense a whiff of new adventures in the future?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kazaera
post May 3 2020, 10:17 AM
Post #1436

Finder
Group Icon

Agreeing with haute ecole rider - what a ride it's been, and thank you so much for sticking with it and letting us see this conclusion to Athlain and Athynae's tale! It is so very fitting for it to come full circle and end where it began with Trey and his son... now featuring a much healthier relationship. It's great to see Athlain realise his dreams at the Legion... but then resign, because he no longer needs them, and turn to a quieter life as an apothecary. (Adryn gives her seal of approval here as well.)

I, for one, am very glad that you decided against a completely straightforward retelling of the Bloodmoon plot! I love the additional depth you've given it. I'll honestly admit that Solstheim has always been my least favourite part of Morrowind, but this story really brought it to life and made me think twice on that.

And how else could we possibly close this tale but on...

Fine! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 5 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #1437

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Apr 23 2020, 02:01 PM) *

@Renee: Hircine separated them so he could fight each of them one on one. This is manifested at the end of the previous installment, when they were asked to choose which one would face Hircine alone, and neither would make that choice, instead vowing to fight him together.

Thanks.

“Ah. So, just a question- did you offer Sosine a boon before he sent you back to your realm of Oblivion, or after he created armor from your hide?” I smiled at him as if to say ‘gotcha’

Nice comeback. She's a smart one. I like how she sort of prolongs the start of Hircine's fight with her, drawing his ire, and even seems to embarrass him.

Aw, Uncle Seth's words to the baby are so touching. What is Seth's significance in Athlain's life?

Lol: big, Daedric ball of fuzz!

That's nice. So she knows Athlain was also successful as he defeated Hircine in his own existence.

Ah, she's hallucinating at the end. That ain't her father. It's her partner. Or wait. I am confused.

Cool, they get back together at the end. And he opens a shop. What an ending.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post May 10 2020, 12:37 AM
Post #1438

Knower
Group Icon

Hello everyone. My apologies for being an invisible presence for so long but the final post is such an accomplishment that I wanted to say a few words.

First and foremost THANK YOU!!!! To all who have continued to read through all of the ups and downs Treydog and I have experienced bringing this story to you. We absolutely appreciate your dedication to our endeavor.

I came to the story as a contributor after it had officially begun but it didn’t take me long to fall in love with the story and the characters. Both in the story and real life I created a special bond with Minque and Blackhand as they allowed us to borrow their characters and me to subsequently write the part of Athynae, Serene’s daughter. Their generosity and advice was an incredible gift that I will treasure every time I look at this story or the other one, Her Highness Princess of Trouble.

Haute for your input and use of Julian, we enjoyed and appreciated every word as well as your support of the story from the beginning. And who knows, maybe there will come a time when we will request Julian’s help again, hmmm, who knows. Thank you so much Haute!

SubRosa Yes!! At times it did feel like wrestling a dragon as Treydog and I both faced the realities of ‘real life’ and the obstructions of writers' blocks, barricades, chasms and dams. Thank you for reading to the end.

Kazeara thank you for being here, for reading and commenting and spending time with us as we muddled through the rough patches. I truly appreciate all you have said in the comments. I am glad as well that Treydog didn’t decide to make it just a straightforward retelling, had he done so I wouldn’t have had the joy of writing Athynae’s part and that has been a gift beyond measure.

Renee I know you haven’t been here for the entirety of the story but your presence is appreciated especially for that. Your comments and questions have given us the opportunity to revisit the past as well. Yes, Athynae is a smart one as well as a smarta**, pardon my language. Seth is a close friend of Athlain’s parents and also being as close as he was to Athynae, Athlain also upon occasion received instruction from him. At the end she isn’t hallucinating and no, Seth is not her partner, Seth is her biological father, something she did not know until the ‘boon’ Hircine gave her. We believe Hircine did it to throw her off her game, fortunately it didn’t work because she truly is the warrior she set out to become.

I do hope you have enjoyed reading the story at least half as much as we have enjoyed writing it. Learning that just because you, as the writer want something to be a certain way doesn’t mean the character will allow that to happen, they take over and believe me Athynae and Athlain both took over from us on more than one occasion. The characters in this story are our family when we are writing, they live in our hearts and minds as we draw their lives onto the page. These two have become almost as real to me as my children, even my children think of them as their siblings, that’s not a joke.

Once again, to all, THANK YOU! Thank you for sharing our story with us. There is no greater gift than the time you gave to read our words.

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 13 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #1439

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow wait. It's over??? I am glad I caught the tail-end of it, then. cake.gif Take care.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post May 26 2020, 01:01 AM
Post #1440

Master
Group Icon

And now the time has come to do the best part of writing this story (besides finishing it, of course).

First- final comment responses:

@SubRosa- and that appearance by Trey was the “ending” that I wrote at the same time as the “beginning” all those years ago. And the red-headed sister's contribution to the performing arts was a later addition, but one I also came up with quite some time back. One would like to be in the audience when Athynae and Athlain are dragged to the premiere- probably without being told anything about the subject matter.... And it was most definitely a wrestling match- I was inevitably reminded of Spalding Gray's “Monster in a Box.” Thank you so much for sticking with this particular monster and for many helpful and insightful comments over the years.

@haute- I will say more in a bit- but, yes--- it was a thrilling ride and I so appreciate your being along for all of it! And Baria and the uniform... the mothers of the adventuresome pair have “plans” for their offspring- not sure how well those will work out.... As to new adventures, there are definitely... “hooks” from which to hang more stories. There are some notes toward an Oblivion story somewhere- although I think we will probably go in a different direction...

@Kazaera- At its heart, for me anyway, this was always a story about family- and about needing to step away from home before you can realize how much it means to you. The only pesky issue with that “quiet life” is contained in the notice of the opening--- “Our agents travel all of Tamriel...” Surely, nothing bad could come of that? Right? And I am with you on Solstheim as presented- overpowered enemies because players did the “too easy” complaint and werewolves... because... they are a staple of fantasy games and books? This was the first time I really stretched my creativity and (in my mind) it is therefore the best of my stories). And I hope my example (not the taking 13 years part- but the getting to the end) will provide you with the encouragement to keep going with the most wonderful Sleeper in the Cave.

@Renee- Athynae's insults and needling were so much fun for us to write. And again, the Seth is actually Athynae's biological parent was a long time in the making- it was a collaboration amongst 4 of us- including minque and Black Hand. For Athlain, Seth has always rather frightened him- although that is mostly not intentional. However, Seth is a close friend of Trey and Baria and also served as a mentor to Athlain. In fact, he gave him a dagger on one memorable occasion, along with guidance on when to use it. And yes, that is the end of the fan-fic. Many thanks for your reading and your kind words and questions- the questions often reminded us of things we needed to show in the story.

Now- for the other part:

Thanks are in order to a WHOLE bunch of people. First, to Stargelman and Alexander, for creating and maintaining this home for our characters and our conversations. You guys rock!

To Mrs. Treydog, my most excellent “first reader,” who has put up with my obsession for all these years.

An especial thanks to minque and Black Hand for allowing us to co-opt their characters and their characters' stories and for contributing several scenes.

Deepest thanks to haute for participating with Julian- that part of the story remains one of my personal favorites. It means more than I can say that you trusted me with your iconic character. Working with you on those scenes was a tremendous pleasure and I hope that time and inspiration might allow us to write together again some day.

To Athynae, my co-author. You came to the process at the perfect time- when I was getting ready to just... “get it finished as quick as possible.” The life you breathed into your namesake character inspired me to do the same for Athlain. Writing this story with you has been a truly life-changing experience.

To everyone who has read, everyone who has commented, everyone who has been inspired to tell their own stories... YOU are the reason this story exists. I am humbled and animated by your support.

--------------------

+Quote Post

73 Pages V « < 70 71 72 73 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:49 AM