53 Pages V « < 51 52 53  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?
Decrepit
post Oct 25 2019, 04:09 PM
Post #1041

Mouth
Group Icon

As expected, a two-book Amazon shipment arrived late Monday morning. It included volume one of Katharine Kerr's The Silver Wyrm. However, the day prior I ceased reading Stephen Donaldson's Lord Faul's Bane, fearing I might become hooked and end up reading the entire First and Second Chronicles. Chose instead Larwence Watt-Evans' The Misenchanted Sword, a book read four times, most recently late Feb 2006. A safer bet, I thought. Nope, I'm hooked. Gonna finish it before tackling Kerr. (I'm maybe halfway through.) A plus; though I own several other Watt-Evans books set in same world, and they do relate to each other, they're all standalone novels. I'll be less tempted to read the lot before moving on. Or so I hope.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 28 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #1042

Mouth
Group Icon

At 0257 this morning, awake for some time after waking with a neck too sore to allow sleep, I finished my fourth read of Lawrence Watt-Evans' The Miscenchanted Sword. An enjoyable book. Rather low key, featuring someone about as far from a 'hero' or 'villian' as possible. Just your average Joe (for his time and setting) who chances upon a brief magical encounter in his twenties and has to cope with its aftermath the rest of his (intentionally) mundane life. I like this sort of character. They're encountered too seldom in fantasy literature (as main characters) to suit me.

With the above behind me, I can now resume Katharine Kerr's Deverry novels, and will begin The Gold Falcon later today.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 5 2019, 02:11 AM
Post #1043

Mouth
Group Icon

At 1037 today, during lunch, I finished my initial read of Katharine Kerr's The Gold Falcon, book one of The Sllver Wyrm, a novel of Deverry. As with previous Deverry entries it is entertaining, but not a book I can rave about. I'm already some pages into its followup, The Spirit Stone.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 12 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #1044

Mouth
Group Icon

At 1958 yesterday evening, 11/11/2019, I finished my initial read of Katharine Kerr's The Spirit Stone, one of her many Deverry novels. As with other entries in this series, I've little to say about them. Decent reads, nothing special. (Yet I went out of my way to order the four-book sub-series to which Spirit Stone belongs, a great rarity for me these days.)

I'm now some pages into its followup, The Shadow Isle.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Yesterday, 12:58 PM
Post #1045

Mouth
Group Icon

At 2256 yesterday evening, lying on the sofa, I finished my initial read of Katharine Kerr's The Shadow Isle, book three of The Silver Wyrm, itself a component of her vast Deverry writings. Like its predecessors, I find it a decent novel. Worth reading, but I'll not go out of my way to recommend it.

I'm now several pages into what is, as of now, Ms. Kerr's final Deverry entry, book four of Silver Wyrm, The Silver Mage.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Yesterday, 01:02 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

53 Pages V « < 51 52 53
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 06:29 PM