6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hardest games you've ever played, Any platform
mirocu
post Nov 25 2013, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Spam Meister
Group Icon

This topic came to mind when I was thinking about games, which I often do tongue.gif

The hardest games Iīve ever played are all for the classic NES, Gameboy, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) or just about any other console on which for the most part you cannot save wherever you want and come back to it another day. The only choices you had in order to see the later stages was either to put in a code or to sit through the whole game every time you wanted to make a try for them. For one thing I never bothered to sit through it all only to get to the hard parts where I would be too tired to succeed and secondly, Iīve never been good at timing. I hate games that only rely on timing your jumps n stuff.

So, what are the hardest games youīve ever played?

Edit: I realize not being able to save isnīt what makes a game hard. I should have pointed out hard in terms of gameplay like the first stage in Back to the Future 3 on Sega Genesis, or games where one hit can knock you back into a pit like in Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden. Sorry for not being more clear wink.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Dec 31 2013, 11:42 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 25 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 25 2013, 11:00 AM) *
The hardest games Iīve ever played are all for the classic NES, Gameboy, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) or just about any other console on which for the most part you cannot save wherever you want and come back to it another day. The only choices you had in order to see the later stages was either to put in a code or to sit through the whole game every time you wanted to make a try for them. For one thing I never bothered to sit through it all only to get to the hard parts where I would be too tired to succeed and secondly, Iīve never been good at timing. I hate games that only rely on timing your jumps n stuff.

No offence, but that doesn't really strike me as hard, that just strikes me as pointlessly obtuse and time-consuming.

For me, it would have to be Metro 2033/Last Light on Ranger Hardcore difficulty, where you've got to be dead careful with your ammo and really think your way around firefights, or Dark Souls, which is often just a case of pattern recognition.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 25 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 25 2013, 12:41 PM) *

No offence, but that doesn't really strike me as hard, that just strikes me as pointlessly obtuse and time-consuming.

I'd have to agree on that front.

For me, it would have to be Metro 2033/Last Light on Ranger Hardcore difficulty, where you've got to be dead careful with your ammo and really think your way around firefights

Hmm, I might have to look into those.

Dark Souls, which is often just a case of pattern recognition.

Up until you lose focus for half a second and get killed. Or it just kills you to make sure you're still paying attention. I love that game.

I'd have to say Oblivion, in all honesty, just because of my lengthy list of dead characters. Though I suppose playing Dead is Dead means it's self inflicted difficulty.

Dragon's Dogma; for the postgame bit where everything goes dark and evil. That was hellish.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask; that 3 day time limit.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 25 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Spam Meister
Group Icon

My definition of hard as "not being able to save" maybe wasnīt fair in all honestly. I just tried to make a point smile.gif

Many of the NES games really are hard in terms of gameplay. Many jumps requires you to stand on the absolute edge of the last pixel or otherwise you wonīt make it. And some games combined hard gameplay with only three lives and no continues which is too much for me even today tongue.gif

Try out Street Fighter 2010 and tell me that game is easy wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Nov 25 2013, 05:08 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Oof. Getting not too bad, but man, those freaking bosses. wacko.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 25 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Just google for "Nintendo hard" - says it all. Some games were intended for arcade machines, and had ways to prevent you playing too long without "putting in another coin".

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 25 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #7

Forum Bard
Group Icon

For me, it would have to be Metro 2033/Last Light on Ranger Hardcore difficulty, where you've got to be dead careful with your ammo and really think your way around firefights, or Dark Souls, which is often just a case of pattern recognition.

I'm with you. Although the hardest part of Metro Last Light was when I beat it on Ranger Hardcore and didn't get the achievement. Accepting that a tech glitch hosed me out of my online merit badge for playing through the most challenging game I've ever played was pretty difficult.

Still love the game and Metro 2033 did the same thing to me. I ended up randomly getting the achievement like two weeks later while I was playing something else. huh.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Nov 25 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

Mario. It'll always be the hardest [censored] game in existence lol

Assasin's creed was pretty hard too.

--------------------
Bruh ☠ïļ
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 25 2013, 09:49 PM
Post #9

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Of Beasts @ Nov 25 2013, 08:46 PM) *

Mario. It'll always be the hardest [censored] game in existence lol

Well, it doesnīt make it easier that the princess is always in another friggin castle! tongue.gif

Shadowgate (NES) was pretty hard, at least for me. Figuring out where to find and use everything and how to fit the pieces together wasnīt so easy first time. And anyone without prior knowledge of the game who tells me theyīve played through it and not died once is a liar, pure and simple! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 25 2013, 09:50 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
stargelman
post Nov 26 2013, 07:20 AM
Post #10

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Ultima VIII.

It was exceedingly hard to muster the will to continue to play it with all the bugs and stupid jump action (think jumping onto moving platforms hovering over lava with controls that only let you jump in one of four directions with a purely random jump length).

That aside, I'd say Deus Ex. Depending on how you play it, it can be forbiddingly difficult.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 26 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #11

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(stargelman @ Nov 26 2013, 07:20 AM) *

That aside, I'd say Deus Ex. Depending on how you play it, it can be forbiddingly difficult.

Really? It does have a few hard moments but I never found it to be hard. Did you do a non-lethal playthrough? biggrin.gif

Havenīt played it myself, but Dragonīs Lair for the NES. Insanely hard!

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Nov 26 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Of Beasts @ Nov 25 2013, 07:46 PM) *

Counter,counter,counter,counter,counter,counter,counter,hide,wait.

Yeah,that's not that hard.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 26 2013, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Nov 26 2013, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(King Of Beasts @ Nov 25 2013, 07:46 PM) *

Counter,counter,counter,counter,counter,counter,counter,hide,wait.

Yeah,that's not that hard.

Well, there were those moments when the sometimes dodgy camera angles and the occasionally overly-finicky controls decided you weren't pointing in quite the right direction(0.1 degree out) and launched you off in completely the wrong direction, possibly to your doom.

But outside of that, yeah, challenge wasn't one of it's strong points.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 27 2013, 12:01 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

Considering that I just spent a good chunk of the last hour and a half being massacred by Geth, I feel that I should probably add Mass Effect 2 on veteran difficulty to this list. Damn, but that Colossus boss fight is tough...
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2013, 02:22 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 25 2013, 09:47 AM) *

My definition of hard as "not being able to save" maybe wasnīt fair in all honestly. I just tried to make a point smile.gif

Many of the NES games really are hard in terms of gameplay. Many jumps requires you to stand on the absolute edge of the last pixel or otherwise you wonīt make it. And some games combined hard gameplay with only three lives and no continues which is too much for me even today tongue.gif

Yup, this. Those old-school games were harsh in terms like this. Kids today don't know how easy they've got it.

My answer: Tomb Raider III.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Nov 27 2013, 02:23 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 27 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #16

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Nov 27 2013, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 25 2013, 09:47 AM) *

Yup, this. Those old-school games were harsh in terms like this. Kids today don't know how easy they've got it.

I for one am glad that those days are over. I remember leaving my Nintendo on for days at a time in order to keep it from resetting all of my progress. kvleft.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 27 2013, 09:56 PM
Post #17

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Nov 27 2013, 09:46 PM) *

I for one am glad that those days are over. I remember leaving my Nintendo on for days at a time in order to keep it from resetting all of my progress. kvleft.gif

Iīm definitely with you on this! Itīs not about difficulty per say however and I shouldnīt have opened up this thread with that tongue.gif

Iīve mentioned that I have Mr Gimmick, a rare NES game. What I havenīt said is that it is a very, very difficult game to play. It requires good timing and mastering some very tricky moves. The monsters come after you (they donīt just wander around like goombas) and if you want the good ending you need to collect six different artifacts. All are hidden very well and to find them isnīt easy at all. Oh, and if you die and use the continue feature even once, you cannot get the good ending even if you get all six artifacts! tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 29 2013, 09:32 AM
Post #18

Spam Meister
Group Icon

New challenge: I dare anyone to play Silver Surfer on the NES. If thatīs not a hard game for you, you definitely have my respect! tongue.gif

Oh, and no turbo controller! nono.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 29 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #19

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Pshhht. Try out Fester's Quest. Then when it breaks you and makes you wish it didn't exist, remember that I've beaten it. This horrid playing and excruciatingly challenging game was part of my childhood.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 29 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #20

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Oh, yeah. Festerīs Quest is another abomniation laugh.gif And youīve beaten it!!?? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Damn, R-E-S-P-E-C-T, man smile.gif

Now go and play Silver Surfer, the game where you have no life bar and where youīre not allowed to touch anything evillol.gif

Or why not play Ghost nī Goblins? Not a too easy game either tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 29 2013, 12:16 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:59 AM