Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Are You Eating/Drinking?, The Tastiest Thread Around
mALX
post Nov 12 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #1301

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 11 2019, 10:31 AM) *

Bought Groceries yesterday (Sunday) instead of today (Monday, my traditionally grocery/errand day) due to today's predicted cold temps, rain and possible snow. (Yesterday's weather was pleasant in all regards.)

I would have sworn this week's Fuji apple purchase couldn't be as consistently meh as last week's. If yesterday's Fuji is any indication, I'm wrong. Didn't taste like a Fuji. Not close. Struggled through slice one, then sprinkled artificial sweetener atop its three remaining slices to make them endurable. Fujis should never need added sweetness.

No Wild Wonders tomato tubs this week. Hope they're not discontinued. Darn good store-bought tomatoes, a rarity these days.

Likewise, no Ken's Thousand Isle Dressing, except in large bottles. Surely they won't stop carrying regular size bottles?

I now have two canned Chili's I enjoy. Neither is ideal by any stretch of imagination. First is Wolf Brand Chili Authentic Texas Recipe with Beans. It's the sort of chili I don't normally like, mostly a thick, heavy broth with small crumbles of solid ingredients blended in. Yet it has a basic flavor I find appealing. Second is Campbell's Chunky Chili, Hot & Spicy with Beans. It is indeed 'chunky,' looking somewhat like the can label picture! Spicy? For canned chili it's passably spicy. Hot? Nope. I would have been (pleasantly) surprised if it had been. My main issue is that, for me, it's too sweet. Again, they don't hold a candle to homemade chili. But for canned they're quite passable.

@mALX: No, I have a very relaxed grip with my computer mouse. In the old days my hand tended to cramp by meal's end when using chopsticks. I worked on relaxing my grip until that too went away. I still occasionally catch myself gripping chopsticks too firmly, but simply loosen up at that point. I do champ when writing with pen/pencil. Even something so short as filling out a check causes pain. For whatever reason, I grip the darn things like a tightened vice. Don't notice until pain sets in. Problem there, I think, is that I don't use pens or pencils often enough to stay in practice.

I also have issues with holding a pen too tightly; and hand writing anything over a half a page gets my hand cramping. I think you are right; that it is due to never hand writing anymore so the muscles aren't used to being used that way anymore.

My biggest complaint this year is the Peaches. What on Nirn is going on with the Peaches being sold at the grocers this year? They look perfectly ripe outside; but inside they are hard and dry, and many of them have some kind of black stain on their interior. I've had to throw out whole bags of them!

And I do agree with you on the tomatoes. Even the Romas are completely tasteless, dry, and kind of tough; almost as if they are not ripe enough yet (but they look perfectly ripe).

At first I wondered if it was just me/my taste buds failing or something = but then I picked up Grainger County tomatoes from some small local farmers at roadside stands and they have been just perfect: juicy and very tasty.

So it makes me think it is something with the commercially grown tomatoes/fruits. I think they are pushing them to grow quickly and over-produce fruit chemically or something = like maybe using some kind of plant-type steroids or planty growth hormones or something = like they have been doing with the beef for so long.

It is turning me off of buying from them; and I love fruit so it is really hard to give up on it.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 18 2019, 06:24 PM
Post #1302

Master
Group Icon

Today's grocery bill was traumatizing. $55.65US!!!!!! Admittedly it includes one 'splurge' item. Then again most of my weekly grocery bills do, and managed to remain decently below $50, sometimes below $40. (They can rarely drop below $30, but those for sure contain no splurges.) What killed me this week is that pretty much every 'periodic' (non weekly) food item I buy needed replacing at the same time. It also didn't help that the only Fujis in stock didn't look fit to eat. Replaced them with peaches, which are significantly more expensive in this neck of the woods. Alas, again no Wild Wonders tomatoes. I've a bad feeling about their recent absence. And of course my decades-long butter-substitute-of-choice was once again not stocked.

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 12 2019, 09:23 AM) *

My biggest complaint this year is the Peaches. What on Nirn is going on with the Peaches being sold at the grocers this year? They look perfectly ripe outside; but inside they are hard and dry, and many of them have some kind of black stain on their interior. I've had to throw out whole bags of them!

And I do agree with you on the tomatoes. Even the Romas are completely tasteless, dry, and kind of tough; almost as if they are not ripe enough yet (but they look perfectly ripe).

At first I wondered if it was just me/my taste buds failing or something = but then I picked up Grainger County tomatoes from some small local farmers at roadside stands and they have been just perfect: juicy and very tasty.

So it makes me think it is something with the commercially grown tomatoes/fruits. I think they are pushing them to grow quickly and over-produce fruit chemically or something = like maybe using some kind of plant-type steroids or planty growth hormones or something = like they have been doing with the beef for so long.

It is turning me off of buying from them; and I love fruit so it is really hard to give up on it.

<nods> This is a big part of it. Maximize yield at the expense of flavor. As to peaches, yeah, I've had my shared of those. Also of their polar opposite. Peaches so mushy you can't eat them by hand as slices. (I assume those are fine in recipes?, but I never use them for that purpose.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 22 2019, 02:57 AM
Post #1303

Master
Group Icon

Coffee and toast.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 24 2019, 03:21 PM
Post #1304

Master
Group Icon

Auditioned Homel Chunky Beef Chili last week. It is indeed chunky, even more so than Campbell's Chunky. To the plus, it's not as sweet at the Campbell's. To the minus, it's not overly flavorful. For this reason I prefer Campbell's. As to Campbell's Chunky Hot & Spicy Chili vs Wolf authentic Texan Chili, it depends. On days when Campbell's sweetness doesn't much bother me I like it at least as well as the Wolf. On days sweetness does bother me I clearly prefer Wolf. Wolf chili is very consistent. I always like it. The nod therefore goes to Wolf. (Sorry, I don't have a can of Wolf on hand at the moment to verify exactly which variety it is.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 26 2019, 07:56 PM
Post #1305

Master
Group Icon

As suspected, this week's grocery bill came in under forty dollars. Just over $35 to be exact. It would have been even less had this not been one of my rare 2gl milk weeks. I might have squeezed by with 1gl, but didn't want to risk it. No biggie. It's the overall monthly budget that counts, not individual weekly spending.

This week's Fuji Apples are a big improvement over those bought two weeks ago. (I bought peaches instead last week.) I've eaten two from this week's batch so far. The first was solid second-class. Today's is solid third-class. Third-class Fuji's are fine apples.

This is, of course T-day week. I'll lunch at an all-you-can-eat restaurant with my brother, as I almost always do. It's one of two meals per year that come out of my Spending Money funds rather than Food.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Nov 29 2019, 02:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 29 2019, 02:43 AM
Post #1306

Master
Group Icon

An ominous prelude to today's holiday meal. Stepping out of the shower this morning, it came to me that I've not weighed myself in months. Stepped on the scales. 155lb! That's 15 more than where my weight has tended to stay for some years. No idea what's up. My diet hasn't changed. Yes, I ate 'one' extra splurge meal several months ago due to a spur-of-the-moment, unexpected commitment that kept me away from the house during meal time. Surely one meal couldn't be the culprit. Not by itself. Part of the blame is likely me being almost totally inactive following whatever it was happened to me after mowing during one of our super hot days. That caused me to miss out on a good three to four months of daily walks. Truth to tell, by the time I got to feeling reasonably better I'd forgot all about walking. Too late now, as it's now too cold. Maybe next year?

Anyway...

Arrived at my bro's house circa 0935. We gabbed until about 1000. I then drove us to our local all-you-can-eat Country Buffet restaurant. We got there plenty early in case of long lines. Turns out, it wasn't as hectic as past years. They did steady, solid business the whole time we were there. But it never felt overcrowded.

I started out, as usual, with a plate of salad. As always, it was far better than the salads I make myself at home, though I felt it lacked a little compared to years past. The meal-proper consisted of ham, mashed potatoes, dressing, black-eyed peas, cranberry sauce, biscuit and water. Everything was good. There were no standouts on my plate, but no sub-par items either. Well, the biscuit could have been better, but that hardly counts. Neither of their two soup offerings looked appetizing, so I passed. No dessert. I surprised myself in not feeling full at meal's end. Even later, when the meal final hit bottom, I didn't feel overly bloated.

We went Dutch, but I covered the entire tip.

Dropped Bro off at his house afterword, then drove home.

Total cost: $15.18 (senior discount) plus tip. This is one of the two meals each year I categorize as 'spending money' rather than 'food' for budgetary purposes. (The other is X'mas-day lunch.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 29 2019, 02:36 PM
Post #1307

Councilor
Group Icon

Coffee and pie! IPB Image And I suspect I'm not alone in this post-feast breakfast. happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 29 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #1308

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 29 2019, 07:36 AM) *

Coffee and pie! IPB Image And I suspect I'm not alone in this post-feast breakfast. happy.gif

Ugh, Khajiit started yesterday by going over to his GF’s grandparents house for their family thanksgiving @ around 11am. They were also celebrating Khajiit and his GF’s birthday while we were already gathered together (Khajiit’s is the 12/6 and GF’s is 12/9). We ate copious amounts of Thanksgiving food and dessert then they brought out a red velvet birthday cake. Bluh. After that we went back to Khajiit’s house and had another Thanksgiving feast @ around 7:00pm. This one has yet another Thanksgiving dinner at his fathers house today around noon so he is not eating anything else today before or after that! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Nov 29 2019, 03:19 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 29 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #1309

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 29 2019, 05:36 AM) *

Grits, it does seems we have a bit of a lovely tradition the day after Thanksgiving. As I was enjoying coffee with pumpkin pie this morning, I lifted my mug to you - imagining you enjoying the same breakfast. happy.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 29 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #1310

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 28 2019, 08:43 PM) *

An ominous prelude to today's holiday meal. Stepping out of the shower this morning, it came to me that I've not weighed myself in months. Stepped on the scales. 155lb! That's 15 more than where my weight has tended to stay for some years. No idea what's up. My diet hasn't changed. Yes, I ate 'one' extra splurge meal several months ago due to a spur-of-the-moment, unexpected commitment that kept me away from the house during meal time. Surely one meal couldn't be the culprit. Not by itself. Part of the blame is likely me being almost totally inactive following whatever it was happened to me after mowing during one of our super hot days. That caused me to miss out on a good three to four months of daily walks. Truth to tell, by the time I got to feeling reasonably better I'd forgot all about walking. Too late now, as it's now too cold. Maybe next year?

Anyway...

Arrived at my bro's house circa 0935. We gabbed until about 1000. I then drove us to our local all-you-can-eat Country Buffet restaurant. We got there plenty early in case of long lines. Turns out, it wasn't as hectic as past years. They did steady, solid business the whole time we were there. But it never felt overcrowded.

I started out, as usual, with a plate of salad. As always, it was far better than the salads I make myself at home, though I felt it lacked a little compared to years past. The meal-proper consisted of ham, mashed potatoes, dressing, black-eyed peas, cranberry sauce, biscuit and water. Everything was good. There were no standouts on my plate, but no sub-par items either. Well, the biscuit could have been better, but that hardly counts. Neither of their two soup offerings looked appetizing, so I passed. No dessert. I surprised myself in not feeling full at meal's end. Even later, when the meal final hit bottom, I didn't feel overly bloated.

We went Dutch, but I covered the entire tip.

Dropped Bro off at his house afterword, then drove home.

Total cost: $15.18 (senior discount) plus tip. This is one of the two meals each year I categorize as 'spending money' rather than 'food' for budgetary purposes. (The other is X'mas-day lunch.)

I wait all year long to hear those two visits to the restaurant with your Brother! Love hearing about these trips!

On your scales; you might want to look carefully before you step on the scales to make sure it is set at zero. The dials that reset the weight to zero can get bumped when cleaning floors (etc) and set the scale off from the zero mark. That seems like an excessive weight difference for what little changes you described.

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 29 2019, 08:36 AM) *

You and Acadian both; I have come to look for these posts from both of you, rollinglaugh.gif

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 29 2019, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 29 2019, 07:36 AM) *

Ugh, Khajiit started yesterday by going over to his GF’s grandparents house for their family thanksgiving @ around 11am. They were also celebrating Khajiit and his GF’s birthday while we were already gathered together (Khajiit’s is the 12/6 and GF’s is 12/9). We ate copious amounts of Thanksgiving food and dessert then they brought out a red velvet birthday cake. Bluh. After that we went back to Khajiit’s house and had another Thanksgiving feast @ around 7:00pm. This one has yet another Thanksgiving dinner at his fathers house today around noon so he is not eating anything else today before or after that! laugh.gif

Three Thanksgiving dinners !!!!!! Lucky you! And Happy Birthday in advance to you and your Girlfriend!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 10 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #1311

Ancient
Group Icon

A quickie homemade chicken vegetable soup in a hearty broth = sauteed the chicken and veggies in a frying pan and then added V-8 Juice to the broth. It took 30 minutes from cutting up the veggies to serving; and was surprisingly delicious for not having hours and hours of cooking for the flavors to meld!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 10 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #1312

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I brushed my teeth, then ate salted popcorn and brushed my teeth again.

It's called planning rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 24 2019, 01:22 PM
Post #1313

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Christmas dinner! I feel less of a crowraven and more like a turkey on Thanksgiving now tongue.gif

Looking forward to Decrepit's dinner dealings report with his brother! Please tell us you din't skimp on dessert this year laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 24 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #1314

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 24 2019, 07:22 AM) *

Christmas dinner! I feel less of a crowraven and more like a turkey on Thanksgiving now tongue.gif

Looking forward to Decrepit's dinner dealings report with his brother! Please tell us you din't skimp on dessert this year laugh.gif

Ditto on both of the above!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 24 2019, 06:27 PM
Post #1315

Paladin
Group Icon

Mirocu reports that he is eating ostkaka.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 24 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #1316

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 24 2019, 05:51 PM) *

Ditto on both of the above!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 24 2019, 06:27 PM) *

Mirocu reports that he is eating ostkaka.

Yes, indeed! With whipped cream, jam and coffee laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 26 2019, 04:18 AM
Post #1317

Ancient
Group Icon

My Christmas Dinner:

Ham Hocks & Collard Greens; (MMMMMM!) Roast Beef; Candied Sweet Potatoes; (MMMMMM!) Cornbread Casserole; Mashed Potatoes; Banana Pudding; and a Christmas Cookie (with icing) .

I am FULL !!!! Urgh ...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 26 2019, 06:38 PM
Post #1318

Master
Group Icon

Celebrated Christmas Eve and much of Christmas morning, as one does, capturing, editing and narrating yet another Scenic Excursions episode. That kept me gainfully occupied until leaving for my bro's home. Once there we gabbed a while and exchanged gifts. I then drove us to his faux Oriental all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant-of-choice for X'mas day lunch.

I started out, as always, with a salad plate. Their salad-bar doesn't offer as many yummy options as where we lunched Turkey-day, but includes enough 'exotic' choices, of the sort I don't normally allow myself, to make for good eating. Very good Thousand Isle Dressing too!

I debated for days what I wanted my main course to be. Remained undecided at salad's end. Ended up getting a plate of turkey, dressing, what I fondly call 'daddy-fried taters,' Lima beans, and heavy roll. My thought was to down those, then return for a smaller plate of faux oriental cuisine. Potatoes were yummy as expected. Good, if a little dry, turkey. Limas were decent. Dressing was surprising okay, far better than last year when it wasn't fit to eat. Those consumed, I still wasn't up for oriental. Ended up with a second, smaller plate of what I'd just eaten, exchanging the roll for garlic bread. Ended the meal stuffed to the max. Have felt pleasantly (?) bloated since.

(Had we lunched at 'my' faux oriental all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant-of-choice I'd almost certainly have gone oriental. As stated previously, I'm not a fan of the 'sauce' almost all 'oriental' dishes are cooked in where we dined X'mas day. Entries tend to taste much the same there, and a bit sweeter than I prefer.)

No dessert as usual. Water to drink, as usual. Paid for bro's meal and the whole of our tip, again as usual. My bro somehow ended up with three fortune cookies, to my one. No big deal as they haven't contained true fortunes in years. One of his three contained witticism so profound I asked that he give it to me for repeat here. It reads, "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 26 2019, 06:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 26 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #1319

Spam Meister
Group Icon

YES!

The Annual Decrepit Christmas Dinner Dealings Report! biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 26 2019, 06:38 PM) *

No dessert as usual.

D'OH! sad.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 26 2019, 07:23 PM
Post #1320

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 26 2019, 12:38 PM) *

Celebrated Christmas Eve and much of Christmas morning, as one does, capturing, editing and narrating yet another Scenic Excursions episode. That kept me gainfully occupied until leaving for my bro's home. Once there we gabbed a while and exchanged gifts. I then drove us to his faux Oriental all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant-of-choice for X'mas day lunch.

I started out, as always, with a salad plate. Their salad-bar doesn't offer as many yummy options as where we lunched Turkey-day, but includes enough 'exotic' choices, of the sort I don't normally allow myself, to make for good eating. Very good Thousand Isle Dressing too!

I debated for days what I wanted my main course to be. Remained undecided at salad's end. Ended up getting a plate of turkey, dressing, what I fondly call 'daddy-fried taters,' Lima beans, and heavy roll. My thought was to down those, then return for a smaller plate of faux oriental cuisine. Potatoes were yummy as expected. Good, if a little dry, turkey. Limas were decent. Dressing was surprising okay, far better than last year when it wasn't fit to eat. Those consumed, I still wasn't up for oriental. Ended up with a second, smaller plate of what I'd just eaten, exchanging the roll for garlic bread. Ended the meal stuffed to the max. Have felt pleasantly (?) bloated since.

(Had we lunched at 'my' faux oriental all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant-of-choice I'd almost certainly have gone oriental. As stated previously, I'm not a fan of the 'sauce' almost all 'oriental' dishes are cooked in where we dined X'mas day. Entries tend to taste much the same there, and a bit sweeter than I prefer.)

No dessert as usual. Water to drink, as usual. Paid for bro's meal and the whole of our tip, again as usual. My bro somehow ended up with three fortune cookies, to my one. No big deal as they haven't contained true fortunes in years. One of his three contained witticism so profound I asked that he give it to me for repeat here. It reads, "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."

Bold: rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

I wait all year to hear your reports of your Restaurant dinners with your Brother; but my favorite by far is when you go to the Chinese Restaurant! (probably because I only eat the fake crab dishes and Rangoons whenever I go to the ones around here, lol). Your updates are a Chorrol Holiday Season tradition!

--------------------
+Quote Post

81 Pages V « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:31 PM