The Story of Trey

Me that ‘ave been what I’ve been
Me that ‘ave gone where I’ve gone
Me that ‘ave seen what I’ve seen …
Me

Chant-Pagan, English Irregular, Discharged
Rudyard Kipling

Chapter 1

My name is Trey, and this is my story. As I sit in my stronghold and look at the nicked swords, still glowing with enchantment; the battered alchemy apparatus; the books and scrolls; I am reminded how it was that I, a Breton of High Rock, came to be a power in Vvardenfell, a land of which I had never heard. This is the story of how I came to Morrowind and what happened after.

I never knew my parents. My mother, who died giving birth to me, was said to have been a hedge witch of no great fame or talent. Of my father, the most that could be said was that he was a sometime bard, sometime thief, full time scoundrel who didn't even leave a name behind for his son. My talents I inherited from my mother, my tendencies from my father. For family, I had an inn-keeper and his wife, who took payment for their "charity" out of my hide and out of my free labor. Slavery is illegal in the Empire, they say. You couldn't prove it by me. At 17, I took the 3 drakes from the cash box, the horse from the stable, and my life to Cyrodiil. My thought was that a fellow of my obvious talents should have no trouble finding fortune in the Imperial City. Fortune I found, in plenty. Misfortune.

My intention was to earn a few coins with my herb lore, perhaps pick up a few useful spells, and so, become apprentice to a mage or alchemist. But the first thing I discovered upon arrival was that everything came at a price- 1 drake to even get in the city gate. When I looked for a livery stable to put up the horse, they wanted 5 for the week! "Very well," I said, "How much will you give me for the horse?"
The ostler walked around the old roan, checked his teeth, hooves, and legs, stared into space and said, "15, and I'm doin' you a favor."

Young I may have been, but not that young.

"Forty, and I get to sleep in the loft for the week."

After a long negotiation, I was richer by 27 drakes, minus a horse, and free in the Imperial City. A place to sleep I would have to find on my own. I wandered the streets the rest of the day, seeking an inn. Some turned me away based on my clothes, others were too dear. Near dusk, I came upon a park filled with herbs and flowers.

"Here now." thought I, "This is a chance to use my skills to earn some money. No doubt these city people have no idea of the properties of these plants." So I spent the remaining light gathering my pockets full of seeds, blooms, and pods. Finally, tired from my labors, I sought a tree under which to sleep. Later, feeling something poking me in the back, I made to turn so as to get away from what I thought was a tree root. The poking became harder and more insistent. Then came a voice:

"Time to get up, Blondie. We have a room all ready for you."

It was a pair of gods-forsaken Imperial guards, and the "root" was the butt of a spear. It seemed that sleeping in the park was against the rules. Well, maybe a cell wouldn't be so bad. I should have known that nothing was free or easy in the Imperial City.

Once we reached the prison, a bored sergeant said,

"What have we got here, boys? An axe-murderer? Perhaps the mastermind behind the ebony smuggling ring?"

"No, Sarge. Just another vagrant sleeping in the city park. We'll head back out on patrol."

"All right, Breton, let's see what's in those pockets," said the sergeant.

Remember what I said about nothing being easy?

After all the plant material was laid on his desk, the sergeant said, "Do you know that the parks are considered the property of the Emperor? Do you know that there are severe penalties for stealing from the Emperor? Well, it's too late for court tonight. But we won't take any chances with you. Darfa, got a customer for you."

A man in mage's robes came out from a side room, carrying a bracer that glowed with enchantment. As he locked the bracer around my wrist, I could feel the magicka drain out of me. That would make things a bit more difficult, but not necessarily impossible, depending on how closely they searched me. They took all my cash, "for safe-keeping," but missed the lock-picks I had hidden in my mouth and hair. Good to keep in mind, but for now I had a bed out of the elements. Into the cell I went. Wooden bunk, wooden bucket in the corner, no blankets. Welcome to the big city. There was nothing for it, so I curled up on the bunk and slept.

The next morning, breakfast. Gruel, but there were no bugs in it, so I ate. Then I was rousted out to go see the magistrate. In the courtroom, I waited as other prisoners were hustled forward, asked to state their names, home provinces, and lineage. Then a bailiff read off a list of charges and the magistrate pronounced sentence. It quickly became clear that the only verdict was, "Guilty." If you got arrested, you had done it. The more I watched, the angrier I got. Why even bother to have a "trial" when the answer was already decided?

Finally, it was my turn. "Prisoner, state your name, province, and parentage."

All the anger over what had happened got the best of me, I guess. Or maybe I just naturally have a big mouth...

"Trey of High Rock, son of Nona Yerbisnes and Gofor Kyerself."

Whack! A spear haft whipped across the back of my legs and sent me to my knees.

"You are accused of vagrancy, vandalism of an Imperial park, and theft of Imperial property. In addition, your actions in this court constitute assault on an Imperial official and disturbing the peace. I find you guilty and sentence you to a fine of..." a whispered conference with the guard... "29 drakes and 30 days at hard labor. Next case."

If I hadn't mentioned it before, I really hate Imperials.

Back we went to the prison. This time, I watched everything. No way were they going to get 30 days of free labor from me. I counted guards, noticed which doors were locked, even spotted a very interesting chest marked "Evidence". Fortunately, there was no labor detail on court day, so I was taken back to my cell, where I could plot my escape. To this day, I wonder what would have happened if I had just given them their 30 days.

At dusk, the guard brought a scoop of water and a chunk of bread. I settled down to wait. The time passed slowly and the prison at last grew quiet. I pulled the lock-pick from my mouth and tried the magicka-draining bracer. No luck, the lock was too complex, a type I had never seen before. Ah well, I really didn't want to take the time to recover my magicka anyway.

The lock on the cell door wasn't so much of a problem, and I found myself in the corridor. Soft-footed, I eased to the door of the guard-room. I listened carefully and heard nothing. Slowly, I opened the door to an empty room. There was just enough time to check that evidence chest, and then I would be on my way.
The lock on the evidence chest proved to be more than my tools and skills could handle, so I gave it up and returned to the most important thing- getting away. Again, I listened at the door to the street and heard nothing. With a careful touch I opened the door just enough to slide out into the street and... the light from half-a-dozen lanterns pinned me in a glare like daylight. Behind the lanterns I could see cross-bows held steady, pointed at my chest. Then a guard captain stepped into the light and said,

"That's him, sir. That's Trey of High Rock."

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
treydog   The Story of Trey- Chapter 1   Jan 30 2015, 03:35 AM
Destri Melarg   Trey’s story from the beginning! I can finally...   Jan 30 2015, 08:11 PM
hazmick   I don't believe I've ever read Trey's ...   Jan 30 2015, 08:21 PM
treydog   Um.... wow? I had never seriously considered repo...   Jan 31 2015, 05:44 PM
Renee   Just began Trey's story from very first post, ...   Mar 10 2023, 04:31 PM
McBadgere   Hey...Wait a minute...This seems familiar... :D .....   Jan 31 2015, 07:31 PM
hazmick   oooh very mysterious! I love the way you use i...   Feb 2 2015, 11:06 PM
Destri Melarg   Seeing Jiub is like catching up with an old friend...   Feb 3 2015, 11:06 PM
treydog   @McB- I believe you might have wandered acrost thi...   Feb 5 2015, 03:42 AM
hazmick   Another exciting installment! I love Trey...   Feb 5 2015, 12:44 PM
McBadgere   I'm mightily impressed that you managed to get...   Feb 5 2015, 01:59 PM
ArtemisNoir2   I mentioned this over in your other story, but I...   Feb 7 2015, 03:07 AM
treydog   @hazmick- Glad to have you reading. Trey's vo...   Feb 7 2015, 03:15 PM
hazmick   uh-oh, getting into trouble with the Empire alread...   Feb 7 2015, 04:54 PM
Colonel Mustard   Now this is good! :D I (vaguely) remember Blo...   Feb 8 2015, 01:00 AM
ArtemisNoir2   "Youth is a wonderful thing. What I mean is- ...   Feb 11 2015, 01:02 AM
treydog   @hazmick- He will have a typically “Treyish” respo...   Feb 12 2015, 02:51 AM
McBadgere   See, the problem I have is that the thought, ...   Feb 12 2015, 07:18 AM
hazmick   Hooray for Trey! Glad to see that the slavers ...   Feb 12 2015, 11:54 AM
treydog   @McBadgere- The problem with my brain is that it h...   Feb 14 2015, 05:00 PM
hazmick   You ever have one of those days when you wake up ...   Feb 14 2015, 07:01 PM
ArtemisNoir2   "And you get a feeling that says, "This ...   Feb 14 2015, 07:20 PM
McBadgere   :lol: ...I does very much love this story... :D .....   Feb 15 2015, 11:05 AM
treydog   Well, it's Wednesday, so you all know what tha...   Feb 18 2015, 05:55 PM
McBadgere   My dear McBadgere, having read many of your words...   Feb 19 2015, 10:14 PM
hazmick   Detective Trey is on the case...kind of. I imagine...   Feb 18 2015, 11:16 PM
treydog   @hazmick- The taxman’s money is one of those situa...   Feb 24 2015, 10:06 PM
hazmick   ah well played. Loved the way you brought all of t...   Feb 24 2015, 11:03 PM
McBadgere   :huh: ...Oi!!...Get yer own catchphrase...   Feb 26 2015, 02:39 PM
Grits   I am delighted that you are reposting the beginnin...   Feb 28 2015, 09:29 PM
treydog   @hazmick- Those situations- robbing Fargoth and ex...   Mar 1 2015, 05:33 AM
mplantinga   Yay! A good excuse to reread the epic story of...   Mar 1 2015, 05:48 PM
treydog   Morrowind was the first open-world game I played. ...   Mar 11 2023, 01:09 AM
Lena Wolf   I too am reading the story. :) I looked at it befo...   Mar 11 2023, 10:48 AM
treydog   Welcome Lena! Thank you for reading- I hope y...   Mar 11 2023, 03:23 PM
ArtemisNoir   Also- for some reason, some of the formatting wen...   Mar 11 2023, 05:57 PM
macole   ------- * (And restrain myself from "fixing...   Mar 11 2023, 08:12 PM
Lena Wolf   The "Tribunal" story- "Trey in Mou...   Mar 11 2023, 08:54 PM
Renee   I've seen those question marks in plenty other...   Mar 11 2023, 04:43 PM
Lena Wolf   Those funny diamonds have to do with incorrect cha...   Mar 11 2023, 07:09 PM
treydog   Those funny diamonds have to do with incorrect ch...   Mar 11 2023, 09:20 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 03:56 AM