16 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy - Book 2, The Cloud Dancers of Valenwood
SubRosa
post Jul 24 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

The courier dove reminds me of the owls from The Harry Potter universe. smile.gif

That was a lovely little interlude about a girl and her bow. I thought it was so perfect that Boderi, Kud-Ei, and Daenlin all collaborated to create the new, summonable Slayer.

Buffy has definitely gone native in her scapbook picture! The brown buckskins suit her so perfectly, as does her new wood-grained twin of Auriel's Bow.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 24 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh, SubRosa reminded me that I meant to mention the Courier Dove too, that was Awesome!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 26 2016, 02:30 AM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey, that's pretty neat, a living weapon for Buffy! How brilliant.

I love the part when the bow shatters that rock, I can just see her getting all obsessed with it. Man, I gotta make one of my t00ns go to Vallenwood one of these days.

And she looks fantastic in that pic too, my goodness. wub.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Jul 26 2016, 02:32 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 29 2016, 04:59 AM
Post #44

Councilor
Group Icon

Catching up here, what a delight! Oh my gosh, Kynareth’s curse from her Kyne days is pure genius. I love everything about it, especially that solving this era’s crisis will lead to the next one. Beautiful! I am so tickled to learn more of Acadian and Phantom in the Dragon Wars. How perfect that Kynareth thought her paladin was the key, only to learn from Azura that she was looking at things from the wrong angle. After all, Azura is the one who pays a lot of attention to their mortals.

In Episode 3 I had to snort over “wyvern in the ointment.” laugh.gif Woo, getting naked is a Nord-approved way to start a story. Then oh my gosh, Phantom taking over for Superian in mid-air with a Shout was such a thrill! What an entrance! She is magnificent!!

Right away in Episode 4 I was hopeful for what Phantom’s new bond with Superian might mean for all of them. As brought out in Part 1’s title, dragons live forever. Buffy’s rapid-fire “flying mare” questions were so Buffy, that made me smile. Oh, and then Vensahliz made me cry. How lovely to see Azura checking on them at the end, even in the screenshot!

I love the practical magic that opens Episode 5. Now the dragon and butterfly symbols hold even more meaning. Wow, the new Slayer is just right! Of course it would be, having been made by people who know Buffy so well and love her so much. I loved getting all of the details as Buffy learned them. Now I won’t have a bunch of questions when Buffy gets to slaying! biggrin.gif Wow, that screenshot is gorgeous! The bow is a beauty, and so is the elf who wields it!

I have loved dragons since Anne McCaffrey’s Ramoth and Lessa, so reading/seeing Buffy on Phantom even for the briefest time was so special to me. It’s amazing to look at Superian’s blue eyes now and know that there’s an ice dragon in there!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 29 2016, 02:34 PM
Post #45

Paladin
Group Icon

In Episode 5, a courier dove from the Arcane University brought the bowgirl a spell that conjures a powerful and magical weapon.

hazmick- I’m so pleased that Haa-Rei finds Buffy’s mystic archery interesting. I assure you that Buffy is fascinated by Haa-Rei’s own blending of bow and magic in ESO. smile.gif

ghastley- Thanks! Buffy can dispel the bow at will. Our setting for Book 2 is Valenwood during the late Third Era – after the Kvatch gate is closed but before Dagon assembles enough sigil stones to open a bunch more gates.

DE- Thank you. I’ve thought for a long time that mages should have a less mundane way of sending messages than normal couriers – hence, the courier doves. The loss of Savlian Matius will have a lasting impact on Buffy.

Lopov- Thank you (and DE as well) for mentioning Buffy’s vigilance. Part of that was her natural fragile skittishness and part of it was exactly because she did not have a bow. I’m so pleased that you like her new bow!

mALX- Thank you for your kind words. I know that Buffy’s history is long and detailed so I’m hoping, when bringing up things from her past, to provide a bit of context for newer readers and even to refresh the memories of long-term readers. Yes, Daenlin and Kud-Ei from Bravil are a big part of why Buffy is an archer-illusionist and Boderi Farano of the University is the one who really taught the mystic archer how to fully blend bow and magic. As you can tell, her new bow is quite the hybrid, incorporating elements of spirit magic, bound bow and conventional bow.

mirocu- With nearly 8000 hours of TES playtime, I find Buffy’s spirit remarkably true and unchanging but, as to be expected, her trappings do evolve over time. Little did you or I expect that the magical courier dove concept pioneered by Lothran and Buffy to facilitate their exchange of letters would find a home in Buffy’s story! Thanks so much for popping by to let me know you’re reading. That means the world to Buffy and I. happy.gif

SubRosa- Aww, thank you for the warm encouragement. As you know, we tried several bows before settling on this hybrid. Like you, I love that its origin is so influenced by those precious to Buffy.

Renee- Thanks! We spent lots of time with three different bows before committing to this one. Shattering that rock is Buffy’s clue that the bow probably has armor piercing among its magicks. I consider that an important RP element since arrows in game pierce steel as easily as leather. I’m glad you enjoyed her selfie with bow. tongue.gif

Grits- Thanks much for catching up with us! As I’ve said so often, I love the encouragement you give us and your eye for details. I think you now see some of the challenges we faced when TES V collided with Buffy’s established lore regarding Kyne’s Order of the Ice Dragons and Skyrim’s history. Not to mention the whole time change thing between Oblivion and Skyrim.

Today’s episode is short so let me use the opportunity to briefly review and look ahead.

The prelude established some deep background regarding the small role that Buffy’s dragon spirit plays in Tamriel’s future - and the large, but secretive, role that Azura continues to play in her goddaughter’s personal destiny. All of this remains quite unknown to Buffy.

Parts 1 and 2, while quite brief, served to equip Buffy with the trappings that a horse-crazy bowgirl needs. With a mighty mare and a powerful bow, Buffy is now ready to focus on her Valenvoyage of self-discovery.

We begin Part Three now, which takes place primarily in the Strid River Valley and adjacent rolling plains that we have incorporated into northwest Valenwood. I’m sure you will see the influence of tribes that once inhabited the great plains of North America. Those familiar with Jane Auel’s ‘Earth’s Children’ series will also recognize strong influences from her storytelling of prehistoric clans – even the title of Part Three honors the name of one of her books.

Peeking further ahead, Part Four will see Buffy travel deep into the forests and jungles of central Valenwood where it is said some of the trees grow tall enough to kiss the clouds. Part Four will also conclude this book and find Buffy drawn toward Cyrodiil.

~ Part 3 – Plains of Passage ~

Episode 6

The forest was nostalgically similar to that carpeting the Niben Valley around Bravil. Streaks of morning sunshine penetrated its foliage to dance across the right side of mare and elf as we leisurely made our way. The ground had been gradually rising for several hours now and I noticed the forest beginning to thin. Less and less often did I find myself having to lean well forward against Superian’s neck as she dipped her head to pass under low branches. By my reckoning, this day would see us traverse a high and arid area of rolling prairie before descending to the Strid River that defined Valenwood’s northern border. I had no intention of crossing into Cyrodiil but I figured the river would comfortably support a campsite long enough for me to hunt a deer, process its meat into dried strips for traveling and even tan the hide into buckskin. Birds punctuated the relaxing morning with song as my thoughts drifted to the prospect of fresh fish for dinner followed by a cleansing swim.

Superian’s sudden stop jarred me into realizing the treetops had gone silent.

Blocking the path ahead stood a minotaur. Taller than an Altmer and several times as wide, he cut an imposing figure. I knew these creatures to be both foul-tempered and territorial. As I pondered whether to retreat, the bull-man snorted and pawed the ground with one hoof in challenge.

My mare answered defiantly in kind.

“You’re right,” I whispered to her as I eased Slayer from my back and nocked an arrow. “We no longer need to run from such brutes.”

The minotaur raised a crude mace and shook it threateningly. Superian read the signals from my knees and stood motionless as I drew and aimed. While my mounted accuracy did not match what I could achieve on foot, this was a large target. I loosed.

The arrow slammed into the front of his left shoulder, staggering the beast.

By the time I drew and aimed again, the minotaur had closed nearly half the distance. My arrow flew harmlessly under his raised mace arm.

Superian turned slightly and we bolted forward, passing close by his left – unarmed - side. After a few seconds, I wheeled the mare around sharply, snatching a third arrow from my quiver.

Our foe had turned and begun his charge anew. My arrow hit high on his chest. He staggered, dropping the mace as I readied a fourth arrow. After a long moment he fell backwards, resonating against the ground with finality. Returning the unneeded missile to its quiver, I shouldered Slayer. “Thank you, Superian.” I leaned forward and patted her neck as we closed the distance to the minotaur. “You’re a brave and steady warhorse.”

I attributed Superian’s improved courage under fire more to the archer on her back than the dragon spirit within – for when I was not in her saddle, she was no braver than any prey animal. Aside from her changes in size and appearance, I had noticed few differences in the mare since Phantom had joined her. She did seem generally less skittish though. I liked to imagine that the ever-present companionship of the spirit she now carried inspired the same comfort and confidence that Acadian afforded me. Perhaps part of her calmness now was due to her larger size and what Acadian assured me was a much more robust constitution. I had, in fact, noticed that when she sustained minor cuts, scrapes or insect bites they healed completely within a matter of moments. Overall though, Superian was still very much my precious mare.

I severed my arcane link to Slayer, allowing bow and quiver to evaporate as I dismounted. It was a welcome break from the weapon’s small but constant magicka drain required to sustain its presence.

I knelt to examine the semi-bovine corpse. My spent arrows would dispel within the hour. The bow’s quiver had a capacity of twenty five and materialized with a full complement each time I summoned it. I did note a small pouch at the monster’s waist and recovered several assorted rubies, sapphires and even a small diamond.

While I could sustain and shoot Slayer from astride Superian, my positional spellcasting limitations precluded summoning it from the saddle. If I wanted the bow available while riding, I had to conjure and shoulder it on the ground before mounting. I did so and we continued on our way.

Having used Slayer for nearly a tenday now, I had learned more of its magic. The weapon’s primary attribute was the wondrous ability to help this weak elf with its powerful draw and control recovery to nearly eliminate any sound as it fired. Even though I had not yet engaged an armored foe, I was convinced that the bow infused its arrows with the ability to pierce armor. Experimenting with Azura’s Star had revealed that the weapon could channel the arcane energy of its dying victims into magicka gems. While this ability could be useful for filling such stones, Slayer did not need recharging. Its magic was, like its very presence, drawn from my own magicka reserves.

The sun had still not reached its zenith when I drew Superian to a stop, allowing our long ears to listen carefully. I smiled at the welcome sound of trickling water that indicated a spring or small stream ahead.

As we drew closer, my keen eyes detected no movement or threats. Noting Superian’s relaxed ears and breathing, I was confident that her long nose picked up no scents of concern ahead. “Let’s stop up here to get a drink and fill our waterskin.”

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 31 2016, 03:06 AM
Post #46

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, look out minotaurs, and any enemy who doth face Buffy and her new bow. I visualized that minotaur like a bad monster in a movie...you just sort of know he's not going to last too long! hehe.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 31 2016, 05:31 AM
Post #47

Ancient
Group Icon

I had some trouble understanding a few parts in this story; probably because the reader kept getting "Lll'd" to death.

First off, I absolutely LOVED the first paragraph; Buffy at her Buffiest!

Not sure if I understood the next part, I think the "defiantly" threw me. Was Superian challenging a minotaur? She wasn't afraid of it? Or is it because she has the dragon inside her giving her moxie?

Oh, this fight was Awesome!!! I haven't actually seen fighting on horseback in Skyrim vids, I want to look some up after this! AWESOME !!!

The second line I had trouble with understanding was the arrows:

My spent arrows would dispel within the hour.

Okay, the spent arrows are the ones sticking out of the minotaur, right? Is that what you are talking about? And by dispel, does that mean the arrow itself will disappear and go back to the void or wherever it was conjured from? Or are you saying the magical enchantment on them will dispel within the hour?

I'm sorry, Acadian, I was just not understanding what you were conveying there. It isn't your writing at fault here at all, it is my brain not picking it up.

I think Buffy is right; if the bow split a rock in half it is probably armor piercing, lol.

LOVED how Buffy compared "our long ears," that was such a testament to how close Buffy is to her mare!

Awesome Write, and sorry about my issues - it is me, not your writing.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 31 2016, 05:33 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jul 31 2016, 10:30 AM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

Buffy in conjunction with Slayer and Superian is a winning combination. I had a good feeling about this fight when it was about to begin. And a quiver that 'refills' on its own - Buffy couldn't ask for more. wink.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 31 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

The streaks of morning sunshine dappling through the foliage paints a wonderfully bucolic setting right from the start.

If Buffy is not going to run from that brute, then that is a bad sign for that brute!

Superian regenerates? Let's hope she didn't take on any of Wolverine's less social habits! wink.gif Still, Buffy is the best there is at what she does, even if what she does isn't particularly pretty...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 1 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

The chapter title had me hooked. Indeed a native feel to it. Then again, everything Bosmer is nature-centric. Their religion, beliefs and ways are not so different.

The stroll through the forest was beautiful and captivating. The tranquility of a forest is a great thing, but as all beautiful things, there is an ugly side . . .that comes in the form of foul-tempered Bull-Men. Viciously territorial, indeed. I remember they were scattered throughout the wilds of Cyrodiil. Seems Valenwood has them, too.

The ones in ESO come armored. Yikes.

I had a feeling one arrow wouldn't be enough to deter the beast, but one in the right spot made sure to drop it a final time. Superian was quite the friend, here, as always. I think Superian's ability of self-healing will come in handy, if it hasn't already. That was pretty cool. I'm glad her trusty mount has all these powers.

Slayer is an awesome weapon; no soul gems required. Buffy's magicka reserves are enough to make the weapon come to life, and its deadly arrows into a foe. Glad her journey is coming along well. Not a day passes where its not adventure for her. biggrin.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 1 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #51

Councilor
Group Icon

So now we know that without the extra advantage of stealth, Slayer and its conjured arrows can take down a Minotaur in two strikes (and one ball). That suggests it would have been only one if it hadn't detected her, but of course that would have told us nothing, as we wouldn't know just how dead it was.

I hope Superian doesn't become a suicidal attacker of predators. Especially if she's ever pulling a wagon. (Don't ask this one about those incidents. He is not fond of being reminded how he was run over by his own home.)

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 1 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

I forgot to mention that I just love seeing Buffy in Valenwood. It is her homeland, afterall. Well, she's from Bravil but you understand tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 5 2016, 03:14 AM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

I enjoyed Buffy and Superian’s journey to the high plains very much. I’m delighted to see a variety of landscapes in Valenwood. Buffy’s focus on the tasks that will fill her time at camp on the not-Cyrodiil side of the river made me want to hug her.

Wow, Superian’s challenge right back at the minotaur was just great! I was so pleased when Buffy answered my questions with her own thoughts on Superian’s slightly changed nature. What an exciting display of mounted archery. Then Buffy’s reflection on her bow’s magic answered the rest of my questions. In particular it was interesting to note that the bow caused enough drain on Buffy for her to want even a short break from it. I love these mage moments.

Oh, and “our long ears”! wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 5 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #54

Paladin
Group Icon

Episode 6 found Buffy and Superian approaching a high prairie en route to the Strid River. When the path ahead was blocked by a minotaur, elf and mare displayed their teamwork using Buffy’s new bow from the saddle.

Renee- Hee! Yes, that minotaur had a role to play. Like ‘Crewman Green’ from the old Star Trek series, you just knew he wasn’t gonna make it back from the away mission. Thanks!

mALX- While the presence of Phantom’s spirit within does give Superian a bit more confidence, most of the mare’s newfound defiant bravado is because she has learned how effective the archer on her back can be. Just as Buffy trusts in the mare’s speed/maneuverability, Superian trusts in her elf’s marksmanship. We’ll see in the next episode that the mare’s bravery evaporates without Buffy in her saddle. Hopefully the resultant impression will be their interdependence. Regarding Slayer’s arrows, they linger for a time after being shot, then evaporate on their own so Buffy doesn’ t have to worry about recovering them. And each time she conjures Slayer, its quiver is full. So arrow management for Slayer is very much like Skyrim’s bound/mystic bow. Thanks so much for asking your questions so I could address them! smile.gif

Lopov- Thank you! Mounted archery is one of the bigger examples of Buffy Fiction now running on 'Skyrim’s game engine' instead of Oblvion’s. I debated using conventional arrows that Buffy had to resupply. In the end, I went with magic ones to keep her hybrid bow a bit more in line with Skyrim’s mystic bow.

SubRosa- Thanks for your kind words about our opening. I love beginning one of her episodes within the magic of a forest morning. Buffy’s paranoid about Superian’s safety and welfare. It really is necessary for the mare to have a few defensive abilities (like some regeneration and the constitution of a dragon) for Buffy to comfortably use her as a warhorse – and I love the swaying of Superian’s mane as she moves too much to cover her with armor. laugh.gif

DE- I take your supportive words as high praise indeed, given how your own wonderful fiction was able to bring the hauntingly primeval hunting grounds of Hircine so vividly alive. I’m also glad you’re pleased that our setting is Valenwood. Buffy will learn a great deal about the sap that runs within her as well as her tribal roots. An armored minotaur! ohmy.gif

ghastley- Heh, I recall the challenges your horses have provided your wagon mod. As I mentioned to mALX, Superian’s bravery comes from the archer on her back. With Buffy dismounted, the mare will act very much like the nervous prey animal she is. In horse form the mare’s nature is stronger than the dragon’s.

Grits- Thank you for the encouragement. There has been much new to present in the book so far and I’ve been trying to strike a balance between ‘showing’ it, augmented by ruminations from Buffy. I hope you enjoy Buffy’s upcoming time with a tribe of the plains.

Episode 7

I dropped the waterskin I was filling and stood when I saw the wood elf. He must have stealthily approached from downwind, precluding my nearby mare from picking up his scent.

He nocked an arrow but did not draw his bow.

I conjured Slayer and did the same while sidestepping closer to a tree that might shield me if necessary.

Superian raised her head from the spring’s small pool, water trailing from her mouth. She backed away nervously, for much of her courage was contingent upon having her elf in the saddle.

The archer directed his weapon down and to one side, but kept the arrow fitted to his bowstring. “You don’t look like a Valley Girl.”

“I beg your pardon?” His words mystified me but, in response to his tone and actions, I pointed my arrow toward the ground as well. “What’s a Valley Girl?”

“You look like a Cloud Dancer but speak like a Cyrodiil,” he stated.

His response did nothing to enlighten me but his tone was not threatening. I allowed Slayer to dispel and lowered my hands as the subtle illusion magic of a fear spell unobtrusively filled my right fist – just in case. “I don’t understand your meaning but I intend you no harm.”

I was relieved to see him quiver his arrow and shoulder his bow. “I am Vandrelis, a huntsmer of the Strid River Valley Tribe.”

“My name’s Buffy, a traveler,” I replied as my readied spell quietly faded. “I mean no trespass. If you’d look at my map and advise me, I’ll be happy to avoid your hunting area." I produced a doeskin map of Valenwood from my mage satchel and unrolled it.

As the mer approached, I could see he was nearly as tall as an Imperial. A short elven sword rode at one hip and a waterskin on the other. Buckskins covered his lower body. From the waist up he was bare, save the leather harness that hosted his bow and quiver. The sun had bronzed the skin of his trim, muscular upper body and a mane of chestnut hair trailed well down his back. A clean-shaven face displayed finely chiseled features. He ignored the map and, after a curious glance at Superian’s azure glowing eyes, looked down at me. “I meant that your accent is clearly from Cyrodiil, but your coloring and size mark you as a Cloud Dancer. What is your tribe?”

“I-I don’t know. My mother carried me in her womb from Valenwood to Bravil where I was born. She said she would tell me of our tribe when I was older but died before she was able to do so.”

His dark eyes softened somewhat. “I’m sorry to hear that. . . Buffy.”

“What’s a Cloud Dancer?” I asked.

“Bosmer display physical traits consistent with their tribal territories. Cloud Dancer is a general description applied to several tribes that live in Valenwood’s tallest trees – found in the center of the province. Trees so tall that their upper branches kiss the clouds – hence, the elves who live there are referred to as Cloud Dancers.”

“You said they look like me?” I prompted.

He nodded. “Their physical adaptations include small size and light, fragile bones to support life in the slender upper branches of their homes. Their hair is light-colored, ranging from silver or golden to lavender or even pale green. Presumably this is a form of camouflage, for it is said they prefer to fight from the trees with the sun above them. Unlike the brown or black eyes of most Bosmer, theirs are generally green, blue or violet. Living amidst thick foliage means they hunt by sound as much as sight and their sensitive ears are larger than those of other elves.”

“You just described the appearance of my mother and I!”

“Now you see why I assumed you were from one of the Cloud Dancer tribes – until you spoke.” Finally, his attention moved to my rather poorly annotated map. “Where are you headed?”

“I’m not sure. You see, I came here from Cyrodiil about three months ago hoping the forests of my ancestral homeland could help mend my broken heart. So far, I’ve just been wandering and living off the land.”

“Who would break the heart of such a beautiful elf?” he asked.

I lowered my eyes. “N-no. He died in my arms, from wounds sustained saving my life.”

“I’m sorry. It sounds like he loved you very much.”

I nodded, and a tear slid down one cheek as I looked up at the elf and announced, “I want to find my mother’s tribe. Can you help?” I held out the map again.

“Your map will be of little help.” He pointed generally south. “When you see taller trees in front of you, go toward them. When the trees stop becoming taller, you are there.” He shrugged then added, “I’ve never ventured far enough south to encounter the Tall Trees.”

“Well, that should at least get me heading in the right direction.” I rolled up the map. “Thank you for allowing me safe passage.”

“I’m sure it is many days travel.” His look grew dubious. “Are you well-provisioned?”

“Probably not,” I admitted.

He knelt by the spring and filled his waterskin as well as the one I had dropped. As he stood and handed mine to me, his gaze traveled down my small frame, then briefly back up over Superian. “You are near my territory and I would feel responsible if you attempted such a journey with inadequate supplies and so little knowledge of your destination.”

“You are most kind, but-“

“Stay your words,” he interrupted. “You look half starved and poorly equipped. This animal you travel with looks well-cared for though. Would you expose her to such a hazardous trip unprepared?”

His protective chivalry tugged at my heart, for it reminded me of my Savlian. It was Vandrelis’ last question that made me reconsider his offer though. I looked at my precious mare, then back to the mer. “There is truth and wisdom in your words, Vandrelis. Superian and I would be grateful for any assistance you can offer.”

“Accompany me to my village, Buffy. We will speak with the tribe’s shaman. I believe he may be able to help. There is a member of our tribe who was born in the land of the Tall Trees.”

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Aug 5 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #55

Mouth
Group Icon

A real life Bosmer Bowmer, and soon a whole Valenvillage of them! I'm very much looking forward to seeing your version of Valenwood and Bosmer lore. I just hope they realise that Superian isn't lunch...or Buffy for that matter. ohmy.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 7 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

WOO HOO! This is Awesome !!!! I've been to that area of huge trees, it is so cool!!! Starting to meet her kin is going to be so fun! Awesome write !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 7 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

/glances at the thread subtitle

Something tells me this meeting will prove significant.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 7 2016, 01:13 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 7 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

A Valley Girl? Like, gag me with a spoon! Sorry, I could not resist. I remember irl Valley Girls.

This is a tense meeting, but it looks like the better aedra of both Buffy and the buff, bronzed, hunter Vandrelis have won the day.

The revelation of tribes sharing physical characteristics is a wonderful piece of world-building. It also gives us deeper and welcome look into Buffy's own elven genealogy, which has never been explored before. Vandrelis certainly described Buffy to a tee when he recounted the appearance of the Cloud Dancers and their habitat. Again, all nicely done.

This Vandrelis seems like a good fella. It is off to his tribe we go! I am looking forward to seeing a Valley Bosmer settlement, and holy person!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 8 2016, 06:07 AM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

Looks like Buffy's soon about to learn more about the tribe she comes from. I like the name - Cloud Dancers But before that, a visit to Vandrelis' village awaits her - as others, I like your description of Valenwood and its inhabitants. My favorite segment of the story is when Vandrelis tells Buffy that the map will be of little use to her, instead she should follow the trees.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 8 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

What a start. I was wondering if the little elf was friend or foe, along with the meaning of Valley Girl. I quite like the name Vandrelis. Sad indeed that Buffy never learned from what tribe her family originated from, but there is hope. Buffy and her mother share the same traits as these Cloud Dancers. The reason our friend Vandrelis mistook her for one. I think we learn of Buffy's history here, at least perhaps her parents'.

I lowered my eyes. “N-no. He died in my arms, from wounds sustained saving my life.”

What a brave man he was. I recall his fall. One of the tragically memorable moments in Buffy's story.

Vandrelis indeed sounds like a decent fellow. An invitation for food and a meeting with the tribe's shaman is in order, and with these the possible revelation of Buffy's mother. Buffy indeed must feel right at home, among her people. A nice way to learn of her own race's culture, too. This is simply great.

I look forward for more!

--------------------
+Quote Post

16 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:24 PM