Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Morrowind, A fanfic
Alexander
post Mar 5 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #41

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(BSD-IES @ Mar 5 2008, 05:15 PM) *

Coming along very nicely so far, but who is The Hooded Man? I guess you'll let us know sooner or later (I hope sooner, darn these cliffhangers!), but in themeantime I shall simply enjoy the ride you take us on. I certainly am so far smile.gif

Well, as to the identity of that person, at least one reader has provided me with an ah... interesting theory. However I fear untill the end of the story, that will have to be one of my best kept secrets wink.gif

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
milanius
post Mar 5 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #42

Agent

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 5 2008, 12:25 AM) *

All this plotting is making me cry... LOL!!!

Aww, dang tongue.gif

In any case, I don't share author's enthusiasm about the Nine-damned Telvanni. But no matter - story is progressing well so far and it's interesting to see Fyr get his hands dirty. Or a bit frostbitten & bloody, to be precise.

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Mar 5 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #43

Knower
Group Icon

I liked the meeting between the Telvanni and how Fyr instructed them all according to his liking. Naming that mute guy as Archmagister seemed like a fairly odd decision to say the least. Still, Fyr must know what he is doing. I also liked seeing Helseth's plans foiled, knowing that the Supreme Magister really was a traitor and all.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 5 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #44

Wise Woman
Group Icon

What can I add that's not been said already?...

The Mystery Man will keep me from sleeping tonight though...... blink.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 6 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #45

Agent

A MASSIVE SHIELD!!!!!!

Oh, that is absolutely wonderful! Truly a genius move and I applaud!
It's good to see that king not get what he wants!
+Quote Post
Deutschland
post Mar 6 2008, 06:57 AM
Post #46

Retainer

hmm why can't I open a new topic...
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Mar 6 2008, 07:40 AM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

You need to make a few posts first. We've had problems with bots in the past and doing this was a method of getting them to stop posting unwanted threads.

Back on topic: I can definitely see why you enjoyed writing this update Alexander. It's got quite of bit of everything: violence, intrigue, mystery, suspense, drama. What more could a reader ask for?

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 6 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #48

Wizard
Group Icon

“And before you go, there are two small items left to deal with. In times past, the rank Magister was there simply as a declaration of war on the then ruling Archmagister. No more. Our new Archmagister has seen fit to turn it into an official rank, indicating a Master who shall always speak with the voice of the Archmagister and must therefore always be obeyed. He has seen fit to grant this new title to two people among you, myself, and Magister Baladas.” That was definitely not something Baladas was expecting. “And for our final item, again in times past, people have seen fit to rise in House Telvanni through murder. From this day forward, until the end of the coming war, that practice is outlawed. Any Telvanni attacking another Telvanni will be punished severely by the Archmagister, or one of his Magisters. No Telvanni will prosper through murder of his kin during these times. Only after everything has been settled will the Archmagister review this and possibly reverse the policy.”

“I realise all of this might sound very un-Telvanni to you, but drastic times call for drastic measures. So until things settle down, we will all act very un-Telvanni.” Baladas looked across the faces of the other Masters; many were casting doubtful looks; they, like him, were likely wondering if these measures were really necessary or not. But then Divayth got some support from an unexpected source;

“It seems to me, Divayth,” Dratha spoke, “That this is in fact very Telvanni like behaviour, to use your phrase. In the past, the strong have always decided what was best for house Telvanni, and it seems to me this is no different. And since I would not presume to be able to best the lord of Fyr, I will return to my lands and free my slaves.”

After that, other Masters spoke in support of the plan. It seemed with those few words, mistress Dratha had made things far easier to accept for all.

As the Masters left one at a time, Baladas saw Divayth motion to him to stay behind. When all the others had left and Divayth had restored the spell surrounding the room, he spoke to Baladas, “I realise this must sound very odd to you, Baladas, but please believe me there is no other way. I know some plans of King Helseth, and if we are to survive as a Great House, we must act now before it is too late. We will discuss this further three days from now. The day after the funeral, come to my Tel and we will be there. We will discuss all the steps we’re going to take with you then. Until such time however, this is what we want you to do. Spend your two days travelling between the different Telvanni towns here on Vvardenfall. Make sure all the Masters are doing everything they need to do, and if not, make sure they will. I will do the same for the cities on the mainland; especially Port Telvannis will need much coaching I think, and rooting out the other Hlaalu spies will be trying. We must be ready in two days time- do you understand Baladas? We must be ready.”

Baladas said he understood. And that he would do all he could to make sure the Vvardenfall cities were ready.

It proved to be a very sad funeral. Funerals always are, Baladas reflected later, but this one had been extra sad. So many great people spoke highly of lord Nerevar and all he had accomplished in life. Everyone had a story, Baladas too. He recalled to the assembled how he had first met lord Nerevar, that day Nerevar had walked into Arvs Drelen, and asked to know everything Baladas knew about the disappearance of the Dwemer. Baladas found lord Nerevar to be smart, intelligent, intuitive, and a quick study. Within just a few days, Baladas had to admit there was nothing left to teach. Like a sponge, lord Nerevar had absorbed everything he’d been told.

The low point of the funeral of course was when Helseth spoke. But then Baladas found any moment spent listening to Helseth a low point. He did start off surprisingly, by declaring every slave should indeed be freed. Few men had been expecting that, Baladas was sure, but at the same time, perhaps the reason Master Fyr had ordered the Telvanni to release their slaves, was because of this. Now there was a scary thought- was Divayth actually able to read people’s minds? Baladas didn’t know, but he did know he would have to be extra alert from now on. Before long of course Helseth once again showed the world his true face, insulting the young bodyguard, Varvur his name was. Baladas at one point saw him reach for his weapon, no it actually looked to be lord Nerevar’s blade he was carrying, but luckily at the last moment he was able to control himself after all. Bloodshed at a funeral, the gods did not look kindly on that.

Thankfully Helseth was done speaking, and the ceremony had also come to an end. Priests were enchanting the coffin of lord Nerevar and preparing to take it into his burial chamber. Unlike the Dunmer, it was the custom of lord Nerevar’s original people not to burn the dead, but to bury them whole, seal them in a coffin and place them under the earth. Baladas thought it folly; how was his spirit going to be able to arrive in the heavens if it was locked inside a coffin? But then lord Nerevar had never really been a religious man anyway.

Looking around at the departing people, Baladas thought he saw a glimpse of a figure in a black robe, but when next he looked at the spot where he thought he’d seen it, there was no one there. Was he imagining things now? Gods, he was really getting old now wasn’t he? He sighed, and cast the spell that would take him back to Sadrith Mora.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 6 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #49

Mouth
Group Icon

Fascinating. You really have me guessing. I like how you're depicting Fyr, that's a lot of magic that guy can do.

And I like the Telvanni, there's something really cool about them.

I'm wanting tonights update now.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 6 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #50

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Olen @ Mar 6 2008, 04:22 PM) *

I'm wanting tonights update now.

Then by Azura ye shall have it wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 6 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #51

Wizard
Group Icon

Chapter 6. Information

Tracking an animal over land is easy. Even when rain and storm have ravished the land, one can still see some left over prints. Tracking a boat however, is quite a bit harder. A boat doesn’t leave prints. Varvur therefore had no idea if he was going the right way. When he rented the boat he was now travelling on, and inquired which place was most likely to be one’s destination when travelling west out of Ebonheart, the answer had been Omayni, a city just a few miles from the coast, west of the Inner Sea and easily reached by land.

They’d been travelling for a day now; the wind wasn’t helping them at all, and were just coming to the small peninsulas that can be found just off the coast there. The outcrops were small, rugged and uninhabited by all save some few mudcrabs. Sailing past them they came into view of the land and there Varvur felt lucky for the first time. On the beach, in clear view, were the remains of a small boat, looking exactly the way the Khajiit servant in Ebonheart had described it. It had obviously been there for a few days already; the fire that had charred it had long gone out and everything inside had been blackened by the fire.

Getting out of the boat, Varvur thanked the captain for bringing him there, and wished him a safe journey back. He approached the wreckage of the boat and searched what was left. Unfortunately he was unable to find anything useful. No clues, no left over things that might give away any information about the man or woman that had used this craft. And the most annoying part of it all, was that nowhere in the vicinity of the boat did Varvur find any tracks. No recent ones anyway. Oh he found many old ones, tracks made by Argonians, Dunmer, Orcs, Khajiit but no recent human tracks. The frustration was almost overwhelming. To be so close to what he knew he was looking for and finding nothing. Then he recalled lord Nerevar’s words, spoken during one of their many conversations regarding their hidden enemies.

“Patience is the hunter’s greatest virtue. A careless movement or loud exhalation of breath can frighten the prey. That is especially true if the quarry knows it is being hunted.”

At once saddened and reassured by the remembered advice, Varvur decided the best thing to do would be to travel to Omayni and inquire there. Luckily Omayni was a Redoran controlled city, so he should have no trouble finding information there. The trip proved uneventful, except for a small gang of highwaymen who tried to stop Varvur, for some reason assuming they could get some gold from him since they outnumbered him 5 to one. After he had killed three of them, and wounded another, the last one had no problem allowing him to pass and forgetting about the “your money or your life” line he’d only just before uttered.

Omayni was a typical Redoran town, with buildings made in the shape of crab shells and centered around a temple complex. Not nearly the size of Ald’ruhn, but definitely larger then Gnisis. The garrison complex stood at the far side of the gates, and Varvur wasted no time in going there. The guard at the front desk looked sullenly at Varvur, and was probably just about to ask him his business, or even worse, tell him to move along. “I am Varvur Sarethi and wish to speak to your captain.”

With that he showed the bored guard his family’s amulet just to make sure there was no doubting he really was who he claimed to be. The change in the guard’s demeanor was remarkable; it was interesting watching him attempt to sit at attention while disposing of the remains of his meal.

“My lord, I am captain Mallam Ryon, how may I serve?”

“A few miles up the coast you can find a burned boat. A man came from it and presumably headed here. He was human- Breton, Imperial or Nord- although short for a Nord if he was a Nord, with fair hair, dark eyes and dressed most likely as a servant. Tell me captain, have you seen such a man?”

“My lord, I will look up all the log files of my men and question them to see if one of them might have left something out, something trivial. But there are some patrols out who are a few days travel from here. Getting word to them, and getting them back here, will take a while. My apologies, my lord, might you consider staying in my home until such time as everything has been examined? It would be my honour to house you as a guest.”

“I’m afraid days isn’t good enough, captain. I wish to depart the day after tomorrow at the latest. I’m sorry, but the longer I wait, the more likely the man is to get away from me.”

“Of course my lord; we will do our best. Please, I will have my servant here show you to my home.”

Varvur followed the servant to a small mansion. Inside the people must have gotten word already that he was coming as servants were standing by with refreshments and ready to take his armour and weapons from him.

“Don’t worry my lord; we will place all of this in your room.” Walking around the house, Varvur was impressed. For a captain of a small city like this, Mallam was certainly able to decorate his house nicely; either he was up to his ears in debt, or most likely, he had come from an old family. But for some odd reason Varvur could not remember ever having met the Ryon family, and he’d certainly accompanied his father to see all the old families of House Redoran at one time or another.

A short while later, as it was turning dark outside, Mallam came home. Varvur had just been speaking to the captain’s wife, a very beautiful Dunmer called Felisa Ulessen originally, now of course she was called Felisa Ryon. Her conversation revealed a quick mind as well as a generous spirit, for she mentioned that she spent quite a number of years helping the mentally challenged. Varvur looked up just as Mallam Ryon was entering the room, and for a moment thought he saw a surprised look cross his eyes, but only for a moment. Before Varvur could be certain, Mallam was smiling widely and welcoming Varvur into his home. “I hope my lady wife has been a pleasant companion so far my lord.“

“That she has captain Ryon, that she has. She was just telling me about the charity work she has done, with the mentally challenged.” Mallam raised an eyebrow at that.

“Yes, I fear you must forgive her; I’m sure my lord would be much more interested in other things and I’m afraid talking too much has always been my wife’s weakness.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Mar 6 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #52

Knower
Group Icon

I don't know why but there is something suspicious about this captain. The signs are subtle but they are there. His house, his suspicious look, the fact that he berates his wife for talking too much and the fact that his wife has cared for retards of a mental nature. The retard part points me in the direction of the Bosmer jester.

Anyway, I hope Varvur's investigation goes soundly and he uncovers the culprit.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 6 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #53

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Mmmm there certainly is something fishy going on....quite the purpose, right? Oh I can't wait til next update!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Mar 7 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

Wow, I think Griff has picked up on something. I don't even think I would've noticed that. Sharp mind my friend.

And Alexander: things are still going quite nicely. Keep up the good work.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 7 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #55

Wizard
Group Icon

Varvur found that an odd line of thinking, but made no mention of it. The last thing he wanted to do was create tension between a Mer and his wife. He didn’t have much time to ponder that though, because at that time servants entered with dinner. Mallam seated himself next to his wife, opposite Varvur and gestured for Varvur to take the first piece of the meal. It proved to be deliciously cooked Netch flesh, with some spices to make it even better. The servants also kept replenishing his cup. Cyrodiilic brandy of the best kind; again Varvur noted the apparent luxury for a captain. But even that thought washed away after the fourth glass. While the first three had been potent, the fourth had somehow seemed even more intoxicating, and Varvur found it increasingly hard to focus his thoughts, let alone keep his eyes open.

It did not go unnoticed- Captain Ryon repeated a question, but Varvur simply couldn’t remember what had been asked. He felt so sluggish; he couldn’t remember having felt this way before and it was all he could do to keep his eyes open. “My lord, you seem awfully tired, perhaps it would be best to retire now, here, my servants will help you to your rooms. I realise the day must have been more tiring then you thought.”

That was the last Varvur could remember until he woke up. He was lying in a comfortable bed, in rooms he didn’t recognise. Slowly coming to he realised he must have been in the rooms of Captain Ryon’s house. Even the guest rooms were lavishly decorated, with ancient expensive carpets, beautifully crafted vases and furniture. Varvur felt very groggy, and found he still had trouble focusing his thoughts. He remembered the dinner, and feeling so very tired after that last glass of brandy. Of course, there must have been something in the brandy. Slowly sitting up, he spotted his armour, clothing and weapons in a corner of the room. They had all been cleaned. At least no one had taken them away. Getting up and dressing himself proved difficult, but Varvur was able to manage. Someone must have heard him, for the next moment a servant arrived and asked if he needed anything. Varvur asked to be brought to captain Ryon, who he found sitting at his desk in his study.

“My lord, how good to see you’re finally awake.”

“Captain, how goes the search; will you be able to have all the information I asked for tomorrow as promised?”

“My lord, we finished the search yesterday;, you’ve been asleep for three days. You must have been very tired. I even had the town priests look after you to make sure nothing was amiss.” Had he really slept for three days? That was awful, how could that have been? Unless, unless there really was something in that brandy. Yes, Varvur realised that was the only way this could have happened. Damn. How could he have been so stupid? He’d known there was something odd about captain Ryon the minute he set eyes on him. Something just didn’t seem right with him, the home so lavish for such a small time captain, the look in his eyes, the things he said. Varvur felt himself grow nervous. There was little he could do about the captain; he didn’t have any proof of this, and if the temple priests had come to him and examined him, surely they must have noticed he had been given something to sleep, and why wouldn’t they have said anything? Unless they too were part of some plot. And which guards could he trust? No. Better to get whatever information this captain Ryon would give him and leave. He would contact his father the moment he got away from here and tell him there were traitors in Omayni.

“Well Captain, what did your search find?”

“I’m so sorry my lord, but we found nothing. A patrol did find the burned boat you mentioned, but by then it was already too late, no one was found near it. No tracks leading away from it, and no patrol has seen any strangers moving about for the last week. Nor has anyone entered the city in that time. I’m sorry, my lord, but it seems whoever was on that boat did not come anywhere near Omayni.”

“Thank you for your effort captain. I’ll be sure to speak highly of your cooperation and your good care of me when next I speak to my father.”

“My lord is too kind, I did but what any good Redoran would do. Would you not share a meal with me before you go?”

“No Captain, thank you for your offer but I really must be on my way. But thank you, and thank you lady Ryon for all your good care.” With that Varvur took his leave. He wanted to get out of there as fast as he could without raising any alarm. He was able to exit the gates with no trouble, but found himself looking over his shoulders all the way back to the coast. Now what, he wondered. It was obvious that he would get nowhere trying to track the poisoner, and not just that, now he had the job of getting to a reliable messenger as soon as possible to tell his father of traitors in Omayni. The best place to do that he concluded would be Veranis Hall another small city located north-west of Omayni and ruled by a noble. The noble was a cousin of his father and a confidant of the family. Varvur knew he would have to travel fast, with very few rations, but saw no other option. Besides, near Veranis Hall there were more methods of transportation and wherever he was going next, he needed reliable transportation.

It took Varvur all of that day, and a bit of the next but at noon on the second day he came into view of the Veranis gatehouse. One of the guards recognised him at once, and brought him before his father’s cousin. Balen Sarethi was a powerful man, standing very tall for a Dunmer, and while age was creeping up on him, it did not show. He still looked to be in the prime of his life and, after hearing what Varvur had to say about Omayni, he looked ready to march on the town all by himself and eradicate the traitors. He also recalled the curious circumstance under which the last Captain of Omayni died- killed by a Nix hound while he was hunting them, when all of house Redoran knew what a superb hunter the captain had been. Still, with so many witnesses, no one ever thought to look into it further. “Balen, where do I go now? I have no idea where the assassin sped off to, so how can I avenge my master’s death if I don’t know where the assassin went?”

“Varvur, when I was a lot younger then you are now, I was attacked by a snake. Before I knew what had hit me, it was coiling itself around me trying to suffocate me. Your father saved me from it by cleaving the head of the snake right down the middle. I remember he told me something then, he said, ’Remember, when you fight a snake, don’t trouble yourself with the body, for it but serves the head. Attack the head and you’ll win the day’. Perhaps Varvur, that word of advice can also be used in this situation?”

Varvur smiled, knowing what Balen meant, and Athyn before him. Now the trouble was which snake’s head to go after. As he was considering things carefully, he said goodbye to Balen and went in search of transport to Vivec.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Mar 7 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #56

Knower
Group Icon

It seemed the suspicions proved true yet the matter has gotten even more complicated. Which head could Varvur cleave? Captain Ryon's? Or Helseth's? Actually, we don't even know who was really responsible for the poisoning.

Still, as I read you tale it reminds me more and more of ASoIaF. There are just subtle things in the text that point in that direction, much like your description of Balen Sarethi. It simply reminds me of the description of a character from that series, in the way it's worded.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 7 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #57

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Agent Griff @ Mar 7 2008, 10:18 AM) *

It seemed the suspicions proved true yet the matter has gotten even more complicated. Which head could Varvur cleave? Captain Ryon's? Or Helseth's? Actually, we don't even know who was really responsible for the poisoning.

At the risk of spoiling anything, I don't believe their head is at Vivec wink.gif

Still, as I read you tale it reminds me more and more of ASoIaF. There are just subtle things in the text that point in that direction, much like your description of Balen Sarethi. It simply reminds me of the description of a character from that series, in the way it's worded.

Purely coincidental I assure you. As I mentioned, I did read ASoIaF just before I started work on my own tale, so I guess some things must have stayed with me and brushed off on it. But I can assure you, I did not use ASoIaF knowingly as an example for my tale smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Mar 7 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #58

Knower
Group Icon

I was never accusing you of using Martin's work as an example, merely that reading you fine work reminded me of it. That is a very good thing in my book, seeing as I can't actually read anything new coming from Martin (I told you about my predicament). It's just nice for me to read something even remotely similar to such a great work of fantasy.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 7 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #59

Wizard
Group Icon

Chapter 7. Ascension.

The funeral had just ended; it was something Helseth would likely never forget. He had enjoyed giving that speech; no one had expected him to free the slaves, but he was two steps ahead of everyone. Not even his allies had known about it, but Helseth knew that keeping them in the dark was the only way for them to look surprised. They were terrible actors. What Helseth liked best though, was when before the funeral even started, he had been able to sneak into the Imperial cult shrine just before they had put lord Nerevar into his coffin. He had been composed, and even managed to look sad and wipe away a tear, but all the while he had wanted to laugh right into lord Nerevar’s dead face, laughing, pointing and gloating over how he had won, how he had outsmarted lord Nerevar after all. Yes, that truly was a happy day for Helseth. He had stayed there even when the priests put Nerevar into the coffin, he could tell the priests didn’t think it proper for him to be around during that, but he wasn’t worried about upsetting a few Imperial priests.

Now though, the funeral had just ended, and Helseth saw Crassius Curio walking away with Dram Bero. His guard Drusus had told him Crassius had refused to relinquish command of house Hlaalu to Helseth. Apparently after hearing how four Councillors already supported Helseth, Curio had been very close to agreeing, so very close, but then Dram Bero had walked in, and after hearing the entire story he had been able to talk Curio out of it. There had always been a dislike between Helseth and Bero, but never like this. Helseth knew he would make Bero pay for this with his life.

Helseth strolled along to catch up with Curio and Bero, and was able to catch them before they were at the docks.

“Councillor Curio, my guard tells me you’ve been most hospitable to him. My thanks for that.”

Curio inclined his head, “It is but my duty as host, my king; it was no trouble.”

Helseth smiled, “And Drusus tells me we’re very close to coming to an agreement about my proposal- isn’t that so, Councillor? I’m sure you’ve found my offer more then fair.”

Curio snorted at that, “’Fair’? You would call that ‘fair’? You’re trying to get me to retire, virtually hand you house Hlaalu and spend the rest of my days on some deserted farm where no doubt my death will somehow come much faster than in my fortified mansion. Probably stress related, but still.”

Helseth smiled his innocent smile, “My dear Councillor Curio, all I wish is for you to be able to live the rest of your life out in wealth and comfort, as is befitting a noble of your stature.”

“Sure,” Dram Bero interrupted him, “you mean it from the kindness of your heart, right Helseth?” Subtlety had never been his strong side.

Helseth sighed. There was just no talking to these men; for nobles of the house of thieves, they were surely honourable.
“As you wish, councillors. I see my good wishes are wasted on you, but I will wish you good evening, and a long and prosperous life anyway.” And with that Helseth walked away. When he was away, his sad look turned into a smile. After tonight, Dram Bero at least would no longer be a problem. While the two councillors had been looking at Helseth’s face, his hand had signalled to Garding, the Nord guardian of Dram Bero, that tonight it should happen.

Bero really was a fool, taking a Nord for a guardian; everyone knew they would sell themselves to the highest bidder, not to mention run around half naked to please one or another witch. Nah, Nords were fools. Helseth saw his own guard Drusus approach, and gave him his orders:

“Drusus. Go back to Vivec, and wait for Curio there. Give him one more chance to do the right thing. If he refuses, you know what to do.” Drusus bowed and left. Helseth smiled. Everything was going according to plan. After tonight, house Hlaalu would be his, as it should be.

When he got back to Mournhold, Gavas Drin, the local head of the temple, was waiting for him.

“My king, I’ve done as you asked, I’ve upped the medicine dosage for her highness the queen mother.”

“Good,” Helseth smiled, “and can you make sure she won’t be able to fight the medicine like last time?”

Gavas shook his head, “Her highness is very resilient; the medicine is effective right now, but I can’t estimate how it develops.”

“Well, I guess it will have to do. A few months should be all it takes. Once I’m really in control of Morrowind, I can send her to prison and won’t have to worry about someone objecting.”

Gavas looked shocked, “But- my king, why do that to your own mother? Surely there are other ways.”

“Gavas, let me tell you something. Not too long ago my dear mother found out I was behind the death of the old king. I begged and pleaded with her not to tell, but in the end, if I hadn’t given her your medicine in the first place, she would have gone off and told lord Nerevar. Do you realise that Gavas? My own mother would have betrayed me. No. After the coming war is won, she will have to go.”

Helseth looked into Gavas’s eyes, “Don’t worry, Gavas, you will get your just reward. After everything is set and done, you will become head of the entire Tribunal Temple.”

Any objections Gavas may have had vanished when Helseth said that, and he turned and left.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 7 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #60

Mouth
Group Icon

Helseth certainly has a web of control and backstabbing going, he's a dangerous one. But I can some potential holes. This is quite exciting and moving.

I'm liking Varvur's line as well, he's certainly single minded.

Nice stuff smile.gif

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:13 PM