> The Saga of Laprima Donnaugh
Renee
post Feb 19 2022, 05:39 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

Aunt Elisif

IPB Image

On Frostfall the twenty-fourth and roughly mid-day, Laprima Anne Donnaugh walked toward the Blue Palace, and breathed a sigh. The most difficult parts of her journey were over and done.

The trip from Bravil to Solitude had taken thirty-three days. She had traveled upon a three year-old freight ship called The Mongrel with a crew of seventeen others. Some of The Mongrel's crew had told her she'd been wise to sail with them during Hearthfire and into Frostfall, when weather was still fair. Had they begun during winter months, the seas would have been rougher, and skies would have been darker. Other than a few days of near-freezing weather as the ship crested the Sea of Ghosts north of Skyrim, the cruise had mostly been pleasant.

Laprima reflected a bit as she walked down an avenue, approaching the palace.

Skyrim so far did not seem so harsh, like most folks in Cyrodiil (all the Heartlanders especially) said it was. Skyrim's air (so far) was brisk, but not brutally cold, as she'd been fearing. Very unlike the warm summer weather she'd left behind.

And Solitude so far seemed like a safe and picturesque place to live. ...Well, a man had just been beheaded near the town's front gates, and for everyone to see. His head had been lopped by an executioner, who'd swung an axe taller than Laprima herself! But other than that, her first impressions of the town were good ones. Perhaps the man was some sort of monster. Perhaps he had deserved his punishment.

Still, Laprima shuddered, before coming to an abrupt halt. That man, whoever he was, his life had just ended. Maybe he had gotten what he deserved. But what a thing to witness, on one's first visit to an unfamiliar town.

She began walking again, thinking back. Life had been rough these past couple of years; she had had to do a few things she hadn't been proud of. But lately, everything seemed to be improving. Coming to Skyrim was a good decision, she finally concludes. Everything was falling into place.

IPB Image

Laprima took a moment to stand before the palace's entry doorway, taking a deep breath before continuing into the building. But she did not show up and enter alone. A group of others had also arrived with her, purely by coincidence; two men and one woman.

The first man wore earth-colored clothes and was balding, with a slight beard. What remained of his hair was reddish. The second man was dressed in a suit of hardened armor, with a gallant-looking headpiece of bronze and turquoise. His eyes were alert. This second man seemed ready. He had dark hair with a dark goatee. While both men were well-dressed, the balding one appeared to be a commoner, a townie, while the second seemed more the adventuring, traveling type.

Finally, the woman, who was an elf. She was wearing a drab, blue-colored robe, and had a rather eccentric head of blond hair, like something a pack of hornets might feel comfortable living in. At first sight, Laprima guessed the elf to be a user of magic. Not a full-fledged wizard, but perhaps a student, an apprentice, of magical pursuits.

Laprima, the two men, and the robe-wearing elf took in their new environment, while the palace's doors shut behind them. Soft music swirled atmospherically, just as it often did in many of Cyrodiil's upper-scale environments. And...despite its name, seems the place's interior was not entirely blue! Most of the Blue Palace's walls, floors, and decor were more of a dingy beige, accented only occasionally with a blue tile here, a bluish stone arch or railing there.

Beyond the initial room they were in was a larger chamber. The four newcomers glanced at each other awkwardly, as if to decide which one should proceed toward the court first. Because obviously, it seemed this was the reason all of them were here.

The balding commoner man began moving first. But a moment later he halted. One of Solitude's guards came rushing toward the group of newcomers, walking fast, nearly sprinting. He took a moment to nod at the group before bustling straight out the front door, entirely missing the lady Falk had tasked him to find.

“Let us try again,” The balding man said, striding forward a second time. The adventurous-looking man followed, the robe-wearing elf with the wicked hair was next, and Laprima came last. The chamber they walked into was larger, two stories tall. Before them were two staircases, half-spirals which led upward. The balding man moved up the left set of stairs after a smidge of hesitation, as though he'd been here before, so the others followed. Laprima chose a different path, taking the right staircase instead. At the top of the stairs was the Blue Palace's court. Seems they were all in the right place.

Laprima Anne Donnaugh peered across the room at her aunt, Lady Elisif the Fair, and felt a bit unsure.

Elisif the Fair, High Queen of Skyrim, sitting upon her throne surrounded by minions, all who look pensive and important. Despite the fact that Elisif had recently been widowed, her husband apparently killed (murdered, some were saying) by one of Skyrim's jarls, the queen herself still managed to emit a regal presence. Assured, yet expectant. There she is, on top of her domain, Laprima thought. Which caused her to feel a little doubtful, a little apprehensive. Was she really doing the right thing by coming here, being here?

"Welcome folks," Elisif spoke, her voice light and sopranic. "I welcome all of you here, that you may find fit to address this court in manners which suit you. Now, who shall go first?" She smiled politely.

The balding man paused a moment before approaching.

"I swear to you, unnatural lights are coming from that cave!" he blurted, not bothering to explain who he was, or what exactly he was talking about. "There are noises and lights! We need someone to investigate!" He had seemed so confident as he'd walked up those stairs moments before, yet now he blubbered, sounding rather frightened.

"Then we will immediately send out a legion to scour the cave," the High Queen replied with calm authority. Despite the fact the commoner had not introduced himself or clarified his story, it seemed Elisif already knew. "We will scour the cave and secure the town. Haafingar's people will always be safe under my–"

“Your eminence,” a woman wearing robes staunched, interrupting Elisif mid-sentence. “My scrying has detected nothing in the area." Like the elf who'd ascended the stairs, Laprima noticed this woman also bore an aura of magic. Unlike the elf though, this woman wore a hood, hiding her hair and most of her face. "Dragon Bridge is under Imperial control. This is likely superstitious nonsense."

As the robed woman spoke, Laprima twitched. Widened her eyes and focused. Because there was something about the woman-in-robes who'd begun to speak seemingly out-of-turn. Something there, which grabbed Laprima's attention. And it wasn't that she'd so rudely spoken over her aunt.

"Perhaps a more ... tempered reaction ... might be called for?" asked another of Elisif's court, a man with dark red hair, and a beard to match. Unlike Elisif, who spoke with a cultured, Colovian-raised voice, this man was definitely from Skyrim. His accent was thick. Laprima found she could barely understand him at first.

"Oh, yes of course, you are right," Elisif replied. "Falk, tell Captain Aldis I said to assign a few extra soldiers to Dragon Bridge."

"But--" started the robed woman.

"Sybille, please!" Elisif's voice rose a notch. "We'll not hear any more of your attempts at scrying. Not on this matter. I am forthwith granting extra soldiers to go and inspect the area. Commence. This shall be done."

Delegation, right then and there. The robed woman who'd interrupted her aunt with her 'scrying' advice had just been overridden. Impressive, yet elegant. Laprima, as a member of a noble family down in Cyrodiil, had been raised amongst powerful people all her life. Though she herself had never wielded any sort of power, never held a position to mandate important decisions, and maybe never would, she always took notice of the way things were done from up top. How they were done. Some rulers handled their courts better than others, was her opinion. And it seemed her aunt could handle hers with the best of them.

"Thank you Jarl Elisif," the balding man from Dragon Bridge bowed a bit. "But, w-what about the cave?"

"I will have someone take care of the cave, Varinus," the red-bearded man to Elisif's left commented. "Now, rest easy. You are dismissed!"

The Blue Palace's music swirled softly. While Varinus the commoner from Dragon Bridge left the court, the adventurer with dark hair and magical elf who'd climbed the stairs behind him both stepped forward. Both offered their assistance. Both of them had listened patiently to Varinus, and both of them decided they’d like to do something about the village’s plight. Adventurers, both of them, for sure then. The man was named Lucius, and the woman named Crystal. After gaining acceptance from the queen, Lucius and Crystal also departed.

Finally it was Laprima’s turn.

"Greetings to you," Elisif called to her, a little impatiently. "A little busy we are now! As you can see, we’ve had a few local problems to solve, and now we await the presence of my niece. No offense to you dear, but might you draw your concerns from this court at a later arrangement?"

Laprima Anne Donnaugh moved toward her aunt, her face tinged.

"Aunt Elisif, do you not recognize your niece?" asked she.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Feb 19 2022, 07:20 PM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

Great portrayal of the conversations taking place in the Royal Palace with an unexpected ending, as the anticipated guest doesn't even get recognized!

Nice Lopov-ed pic of the Blue Palace as well and thank you for a reference to Lucius Caro. wink.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 19 2022, 08:05 PM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

Gosh, poor Laprima sure is anxious about meeting her aunt. It seems like there is more going on behind the scenes than you have revealed yet.

As Lopov noted, I liked the Lopov shot of the Blue Palace.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 19 2022, 09:34 PM
Post #24

Paladin
Group Icon

Finally we get to hear some of the inner thoughts of our protagonist as she reviews her journey from Bravil.

Great job 'showing' us the inner workings and undercurrents in Elisef's court by how it deals with Varinus' concerns.

How funny that, after all Elisef's anticipation, she indeed does not recognize her niece! Well, I understand it has been a long time after all. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 1 2022, 04:52 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Feb 19 2022, 01:20 PM) *

Great portrayal of the conversations taking place in the Royal Palace with an unexpected ending, as the anticipated guest doesn't even get recognized!

Nice Lopov-ed pic of the Blue Palace as well and thank you for a reference to Lucius Caro. wink.gif

Thanks. That was a complicated scene which built up in my imagination over the past few weeks. Basically, when the Wolfskull Cave quest progresses into the Blue Palace's court (with the guy from Dragon Bridge stating his case) our character is supposed to be there. Laprima won't be doing that quest, so I began to think 'who else might be here' instead? I chose one of my toons (Crystal Beth) and one of yours. smile.gif

I did not know buildings can be Lopov'd. laugh.gif

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 19 2022, 02:05 PM) *

Gosh, poor Laprima sure is anxious about meeting her aunt. It seems like there is more going on behind the scenes than you have revealed yet.

Absolutely there is more going on behind the scenes. I am glad you picked up on this, it means I wrote the story effectively. goodjob.gif

QUOTE(Acadian @ Feb 19 2022, 03:34 PM) *

Great job 'showing' us the inner workings and undercurrents in Elisef's court by how it deals with Varinus' concerns.

How funny that, after all Elisef's anticipation, she indeed does not recognize her niece! Well, I understand it has been a long time after all. smile.gif

Yes again, that was a complicated scene to write. It's just like in real-life though, right? Little blunders here and there, mis-communications, and so on. In fact, the scene, as I wrote it originally in 2018 or so, had Laprima simply walking into the court and her aunt not recognizing her. sad.gif But that would be kind of lame, I wanted to add all the other stuff which occurs during our usual first meet with Falk, the queen, Sybille, and so on. bluewizardsmile.gif I wanted to add all the things she thinks about (with the execution and so on). This is Fan Fiction after all, right?

Next chapter (chapter 5) should be up in a few hours. This next one is also rather complicated. Finally with Chapter 6, I should hopefully be able to just start actually gaming with my toon. tongue.gif 6 should go up this weekend, as I'm seeing it'll be cloudy and/or rainy

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 5 2022, 11:58 AM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

Rectifications

"Laprima," Elisif blinked rapidly several times. "Laprima!" She rose from her throne. "My grandest apologies to you dear! It has... well it has been so long!"

"Yes it has," Elisif's niece agreed, grinning softly.

"I do apologize!” The queen’s voice was lilting now. “It has been years since you and I have laid eyes. And we have been so formally busy with inquests today!"

"It is fine! Really, aunt Elisif."

But the queen persisted. “By gracious. Last time I saw you, you were but a child! I cannot say this without embarrassment, I admit fully before the court, I did not recognize you. Do you forgive me?”

"You have no need for apologies," Laprima answered as her smile began to fade.

IPB Image

As they spoke, their voices reverberated between dozens of strategically-placed surfaces; the floor, the ceiling, between multiple walls, planes, jambs, and crevices. Because any good court where aristocratic topics were discussed would not be as good without a series of variegated echoes.

Laprima had come to Skyrim wearing a frock of embroidered golden furs, with a hat to match, anticipating cold air. But it wasn't so cold here, not in Solitude anyway. So she removed the hat, revealing a mass of dark hair. Laprima’s hair dropped and drooped, finally settling into a mixture of iron-straight, and curvy curls.

"How is this? You can see me now?"

"Oh, do come here!" But Elisif did not wait. She abandoned her throne. Rushed over to embrace her niece. "How was your journey? Were the seas rough?"

"It was a little rough,” Laprima's little grin returned. “The journey was lovely, in its own sort of way. I did not think I could ever become any sort of seafarer. Yet here I am."

By now she was feeling more comfortable, all she’d needed was to actually converse with her aunt. As moments passed, her level of confidence rose a little. What had I been so worried about? Everything was going to be fine.

The palace’s music swirled. Elisif lowered her voice, so that the others might not hear. "But you came upon a … freighter?"

"Well, yes."

Aunt Elisif held Laprima at arm's length for a moment, before finally letting her go. "I don't understand. Well, we don't understand."

But before Elisif's niece could explain, the court’s wizard spoke. “Not that it is any of our concern, but we were thinking perhaps you had taken that ship so as not to cause a fuss upon your arrival." Sybille said, her voice a tad raspy. "As you are of a noble’s status, you might not have wanted the usual panoply a woman of your … elevated status might elicit?”

Laprima’s face twitched a little. Her eyes focused. That wizard, she thought. Something about her. But she was distracted. Could not draw whatever conclusion she seemed to be headed toward. “Well…yes,” she answered slowly, “I was just wanting to travel as a citizen. To just be one of the crew, I suppose. As you say, I did not wish to cause a fuss. I am a noble's daughter, yes, but this does not mean I must always live so grandly.”

Laprima and Sybille stared at each other for a few moments. Laprima trying to deduce, and Sybille already knowing. A series of gentle lutes played softly in the background, as the two ladies' eyes locked.

Elisif broke the silence. “Come on now!” she exclaimed enthusiastically. “Laprima! Let me show you to your quarters. Follow me, please!”

“Yes of course.”

“Falk, Sybille, Bolgier, you may go.”

At once they dispersed. Falk, the red-bearded Nord man with the thick accent, Sybille the court wizard, and a man Elisif had not addressed until now stalked off, to whatever else they had planned for the rest of the day.

Laprima Donnaugh followed her aunt. They exited the court from its right side, made a sharp turn, walked across a portion of a hallway, and into an open room somewhat to the left. “This room is…Sybille’s,” Elisif explained.

“Really lovely architecture,” the niece commented.

“You'll be quartered next to Sybille, but do not let this bother you dear. Sybille can be difficult sometimes, but, ah. Here we go.”

Before the queen was a door made of oak, with a knob and fastenings of heavy iron. “This door is locked,” she explained. ”But here,” she said, handing her relative a key. “Take this, please. And let's have a look inside!"

“Thank you.”

She twisted the key, which unlocked the door. The two stepped inside Laprima’s new room, which was similar in decor to Sybille’s. Main difference was, Sybille the wizard did not have her own door.

"This place is yours for as long as you, and Chamany, would like to stay.”

"Oh, well thank you. This is lovely."

Once they were inside, first thing she noticed was her room did not have any magical music playing from somewhere unseen. Not that this would be a problem; Laprima was silently glad.

Aunt Elisif closed the door softly behind them, then turned to her niece. Now that both of them were inside, something about the queen had altered. Laprima noticed this immediately. Elisif's face went from sunny and cheerful, to wry and serious.

IPB Image

“So Laprima dear. Let us get some things straight right away.”

“Hmm? What? What is it, aunt Elisif?” she asked innocently.

But Laprima Anne Donnaugh already knew the answer to that.

Elisif chuckled a bit. “Listen to this. You sound just as when I last saw you in White Gold Tower.” The aunt smiled, shaking her head a little. “A mere child, hiding off into the crypts.”

Laprima said nothing. There was nothing to say. Because my goodness, Aunt Elisif already knew.

“We are not playing children's games here, Laprima,” the queen continued, walking a neat circle around her niece, her face pinched. "As you may have surmised by now, I know all about your actions down in Cyrodiil. I know about the thefts, I know about ruckus, and the lies, do NOT think you’ll be given a soft ride now that you’re out of Cyrodiil, do you understand?”

Elisif the Fair stopped her discourse. Gathered herself. Her face softened. “Well, goodness. I just rose my voice at you. I am so sorry dear, for that little outburst.”

“No, it is alright,” Laprima muttered, her shoulders sagging. “Listen,” she spoke softly, choosing her words carefully. “I – I have done some things I am not proud of. I made some mistakes. I fully admit this. And, I was hoping you might not have heard these things, way up here in Skyrim. But you have, you have heard them," she said sadly. "News travels far, apparently." With these words spoken aloud, Laprima nodded. "But I am here now. I am here, in Solitude. And I am prepared to make things right,” she said quietly, her eyes beginning to water.

“Oh Laprima, don’t do that. No, don’t do that!” The queen handed her niece a scarf. "I did not wish to make you upset."

“No, it is alright. I am glad to be here in your company. And glad to know you have accepted me, despite my past.” She wiped her face with the scarf, righting her shoulders. “I shall try my best to cause amends, I promise. I am just lucky to be given a second chance.”

“That’s uplifting to hear," her aunt answered. "When a girl is obedient and sweet, the world cannot help but love her. Now, would you like me to give you a little tour of Solitude?" she smiled. "Just the two of us?”

“Yes. Sure, let us go,” Laprima answered.

"Then let us commence."

Elisif turned to the door, began walking toward it, but then stopped. “Just one more thing.”

“One more thing? Yes, what is it?”

“Your face, uhm, your maquillage,” the queen answered. “So dour, and so pale. Stark black mascaras against a pale white foundation.”

“My face is dour and pale?”

“It’s just that, well, you are about to embark into marriage with Chamany, wherever he may be. You are about to be wed, within a matter of weeks.” Elisif placed a hand upon her niece’s wrist, standing close. “And perhaps it might suit you better to present your man with a … uhm, a freshened appearance."

“A freshened appearance." Laprima's replied, a mixture of emotion upon her face. "And what have you in mind?"

“Oh it’s just a suggestion, dear. We’ve had a problem lately with vampires in Skyrim, sad to say. There’s word these monsters are spreading into our outlying villages, and even walled towns such as Whiterun. The menace will be dealt with, should they ever appear in Solitude. This I can assure. This I can promise.”

Laprima Anne Donnaugh said nothing. My aunt says I look like a vampire, thought she. She tried not to let her shoulders slump again.

“Ach, do not fret. We have a fantastic and lovely facial artist here in town. We have wardrobe shops! We have anything a lady of our status could ever want," Elisif the Fair was back to being sunny, smiling, and radiant. "Come with me. Let’s go on the town.”

The pair walked back the way they had come, their footfalls reverberating softly. Because any good court where delicate footfalls were to be heard would not be as good without a series of variegated echoes. As they left the Blue Palace, Elisif chattering on about wardrobes and weddings and 'maquillages', Laprima began to realize something about her aunt. She was serious about this.

~~~~~~~~~~

At that very moment and several miles down the road, Chamany LaCroix, Laprima’s husband-to-be, was riding slowly away from the village of Dragon Bridge, on a young and sturdy mare. He hoped to make it to Solitude by nightfall.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 5 2022, 07:34 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

I love the mention of the variegated surfaces and aristocratic topics. smile.gif

It sounds like Laprima is not quite as much a prima donna as her name might imply. She took an ordinary freighter to just live the normal life of any commoner for a little while. I imagine it was quite an eye-opening experience!

It sounds like Laprima was a wild one down in Cyrodiil! Getting up to shenanigans and the like. I wonder if she will be joining the Thieves Guild?

Chamany keeps coming up. Where is he, I wonder? I sense something is afoot...

Elisef thinks Laprima is too Gothy!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 5 2022, 09:26 PM
Post #28

Paladin
Group Icon

Neat episode! We continue to learn more about the characters – particularly Laprima’s not so savory past. Elisef quite shines here as she displays great polish and tact in her court but does not mince words of what she expects once alone with her niece.

Maquillage. By Julianos’ little teapot, I had to ask Buffy what that meant!

I wonder if Laprima will get the treatment from those two snooty Altmer who run Radiant Raiment?

I agree with SubRosa on Chamany - not quite sure what to think yet. Sybille, on the other hand, clearly seems one to exercise caution around.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Mar 9 2022, 01:15 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Each story that you post, is a cliff hanger of sort.

Looks like that news of Laprima's deeds back in Cyrodiil reached even her aunt's ears - love the contrast between the dialogue as they talk in front of Elisif's advisors compared to when they're alone.

Like others, I don't know what to think of Chamany's arrival. I sense a big mystery / secret behind the events that are taking place.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 12 2022, 06:52 PM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

Thanks you all. Sorry if this story is lacking the usual action which by now would be found in one of our stories. But like I said, this one is sort of different from the others. Maybe even a bit pretentious, but I don't care. Because it's leading to a definite point, for sure.

@SubRosa -- Nice, about the variegated echoes comment. I have no idea where that came from, but as you'll see, that aspect is not random Renee nonsense. laugh.gif I just did not see how that stuff about reverb and echoes fits until this next chapter.

Wow, you think she'll join the TG? Heh heh...

And yeah, it's funny how with some characters they live up to their names. Vicious is definitely Vicious, for instance. ph34r.gif But Laprima Donnaugh is not much of a prima donna, right? She might be perceived as such at some point.

@Acadian -- My character's tale this time has a bunch of actual backstory, as we'll see in a few.

Yes Buffy might know that word, as she is obssessed with fashion as I recall. Maquillage is one of the words which popped up when I put "makeup" (as in facial makeup) into Thesaurus.com. I did not want to use the word makeup because it sounds too 'modern' and Earth-like.

And yeah, we're going to have some fun with the snooty folks who run the Raiment shop. dry.gif I haven't written that part yet, but I can already sense it'll be fun to write.

@Lopov -- Yes, there is something wrong about the Chamany situation, glad you picked up on this. cake.gif

The part when Laprima gets dressed down by her aunt was based on real events. Me at work, getting yelled at by a boss, but ONLY when the other co-workers were not around. mad.gif Bleh.

Ler's see where this goes next.

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 12 2022, 06:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 12 2022, 08:50 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

The Past and the Present

Laprima and Elisif left the Blue Palace mid-afternoon, Elisif cheerful and elated, Laprima curious yet cautious. Their soles and heels clicked and clacked over Solitude's cobblestone streets. "Such a merry day!" Elisif called to the sky, while her niece inwardly groaned.

IPB Image

At this point in the story, let us take some time to glance into Laprima's upbringing.

Elisif's sister was named Alicia. In the Fourth Era's Year 179, Alicia married a land baron whose name Reiley Donnaugh. Due to some luck and some clever acumen with acreage deals, Reiley by then had made a small fortune. As Cyrodiil's wilder areas became rid of their vermin and monsters, more land was sold. The countryside's goblins and monsters in some locations were pushed away by men and by mer, which meant Reiley's funds only increased. Within another year Laprima was born. Within three, they had a son named Elija. Elija Donnaugh would be in their lives another five years, until he disappeared in the Year 190. By now Laprima was ten years of age, her younger brother was nearly eight.

At the time of his disappearance, Elija and Laprima had been playing a game they, and other neighborhood children, called 'Dare'. The idea of Dare was similar to the popular kid's game hide 'n' seek. One player (or several) would hide somewhere, while others would try to find them.

The game was initially played indoors when they were young, and not in school. But over the course of a year or two, they'd begun to hide from one another outdoors, in the streets of the city's Talos Plaza District. When some of the pack were nearing teenage years, the game had broadened to include the entire Imperial City. Hence, they were daring each other to keep pushing for new boundaries. New places they could try to hide from each other. The day Laprima had gone hiding into White Gold Tower's crypts, she'd merely been looking for a new place to dare the other kids, even though she, herself, was just nine.

As they continued daring one another into new territories, they were also facing a series of fears. Fear of getting caught by adults, but also fear of things irrational. Fear of the dark, fear of confined spaces, fear of spiders, rats, and other vermin. In this way, the game was not just a game. The 'hide' part of hide 'n' seek had become much more, as the phrase "I dare us to go..." had taken over their childhood.

It was on the day they broadened Dare to the Waterfront District that things had gone horribly wrong. The Waterfront, where thieves, vagrants, and killers were rumored to dwell. Elija, at just seven years of age, had chosen to brave the area with a hide, but had never been found. He'd not been found from the others who'd been playing, nor later as guards and adults took up th search. The boy simply vanished. His disappearance was investigated of course, but not a mere trace of him had ever been located. People on the Waterfront were not exactly known for loose lips. Even after a reward was promised, those who did speak to officials were unable to tell them exactly what happened.

And that was it. Laprima was despondent from the age of ten and deep into teenhood. Depressed, forlorn, her best friend for a long time was her cat. She was mostly uninterested in anything other than her studies, to which she pored lots of attention, and mostly excelled at. She 'grew up fast', as the saying goes. She was now unable to see the games of young children as anything other than entertainment which could horribly go wrong.

But her schooling went well. She attended classes in the city's Aristocratic District, earning good marks in the subjects of Philosophy, Social Issues, and most of all, Architecture.

"...Because any good court where aristocratic topics are discussed becomes an even better court with a series of variegated echoes..."

Despite having grown up as a 'rich girl', Laprima became interested in visceral designs. Housing and buildings which would be inhabited by peasants and commoners. Laprima had an eye, a talent, for blending some of the layouts and compositions she had grown up with, and streamlining the materials needed to create interesting constructions, at least during her classes this was so. She spent hours building models on her own time, attracting attention from superiors. Cyrodiil's population was likely to expand over the next decade or so, and there were words about a brand-new town being built to accommodate, southwest of the city itself. A new town meant new houses, and new buildings. Laprima Anne Donnaugh, barely eighteen years old, applied to be considered a position within the new town's Faction of Architecture.

But no student who's had such severe tragedy in her life can continue toward excellence without consequence.

On the surface it seemed Laprima had become a dutiful student. But to the wary, one might've noticed her brooding. Flashes of anger, followed by days of remand and silence. But most of all, her walks about the city. Starting from the age of twelve she began strolling the Imperial City's streets, unattended. Sure, the guards by now knew who she was, what she had suffered, and therefore they'd keep an eye on her. But as time progressed and she got older, she became adept at avoiding them, and other adults as well.

Day after day she began retracing their steps, until she finally felt ready to approach the Waterfront itself. As she did so, young Laprima made sure to carry a knife. In essence, she was playing the game of Dare all over again, daring herself though, rather than daring others.

As a member of a class whose goal it was to design buildings, Laprima also became interested in locks. How they worked, and why one lock held better than another. She then became obsessed with locks. As she spent time building her little models in class, she also began inquiring, then studying, lock mechanisms. Their tumblers, their barrels, their key designs.

Eventually, her appearance also changed. Laprima, along with a few classmates who'd been present on the day her brother had vanished, began to embrace what they called their 'darkness'. The world was a sad and violent place, and it seemed all the adults in their lives could not see how or why this should matter. They'd spend long hours discussing their lives, and how they lived in a city which was not as pleasant and safe as they'd been brought up to believe. Laprima and her group began powdering their faces white, while painting their lips, brows, and eyelashes black. Some of them would blush themselves gray instead of white. Some of them would even dye their hair black, though Laprima herself was already blessed with a coif the color of a raven's feathers.

It was Laprima's classmate Siouxsie who coined the term for their new look. She considered them all to be gothics, partially due to the fact that half of them were also studying the gothic-styled architecture which had been so popular during the Third Era. Laprima and her classmates appreciated this term, 'gothic'. And as gothics, they'd live and rule forever.

Laprima and Siouxsie became fast friends. Siouxsie extolled Laprima for her smarts, while Laprima admired Siouxsie for her ideals and bravery. Both of them began engaging in deviant behavior, as a way to alleviate their darkness. They started pilfering items from shops during daylight hours: clothes, gems, whatever they desired. Together, they also wondered if their hauls could increase at night. With Laprima's newfound knowlege of lock designs, it was only a matter of time before one idea followed another, and nothing but trouble was to follow.

In the month of Frost Fall, Year 199, Laprima Donnaugh and a group of gothics were caught by guards in the city's Market District, just after Laprima managed to pick the lock to the long-established Red Diamond Jewelry shop. Laprima's apprehension caused consternation within her family, of course. Despite her arrest it was only a matter of time before Laprima tried again, and was caught again.

This time she was jailed for five days, yet denied it all. Hence the lies and the ruckus mentioned by Laprima's aunt did indeed occur. And for awhile, it looked as though poor Laprima would lose her place in society, as her family debated ousting her from their cozy Talos Plaza home.

~~~~~~~~~~

Now in Solitude, walking along with her aunt the queen, Laprima wondered for the thousandth time if she'd made all the right decisions. What would have happened if she's merely stayed back home, and finished her studies? Had it been wise to come to Skyrim instead? Would she ever be able to go back into Cyrodiil, the past forgotten, old pages turned?

"This is going to be such fun!" Elisif gushed as the pair headed toward Solitude's shops. "Are you not glad to be here?"

Laprima smiled her soft little grin. "I am, yes I am," she said to her aunt, while inwardly groaning again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Mar 12 2022, 09:10 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

An enjoyable and very interesting peek into Laprima's past, where it's revealed how she got skilled in sneak and picking locks, while also learning the tragedy from her youth, that deeply marked her for the rest of her life. Wow.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 13 2022, 01:18 AM
Post #33

Paladin
Group Icon

Ahah, so SubRosa was spot on labeling Laprima's style as goth!

And as Lopov said, interesting info on her life back in Cyrodiil and how she ended up starting down a dark path. Hopefully, her Aunt can brighten things up some for her. Though, I suspect we're in for some more groaning. tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 13 2022, 02:03 AM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

I love their game of dare, that is not just hiding and seeking, but also pushing the boundaries of their world. I am sure that could never end badly though... wink.gif

I wonder if we will be seeing Elija in the future? Perhaps sporting a pair of fangs?

Laprimma being an architect is a cool entry point to thieving. I just finished watching the old TV show Prison Break. In it a structural engineer gets himself thrown into prison so that he can break his brother out. The first season is all about him using his engineering knowledge to defeat the prison's systems and layout.

I wonder if Siouxsie is a Bean-Sidhe! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Mar 13 2022, 06:30 AM
Post #35

Mouth
Group Icon

The trouble with hoping for the turning of old pages and the past forgotten is that even if no one else remembers, you do. Try as you might the hardest thing to do is to hide from yourself.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 27 2022, 02:31 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

@ macole-- that's thoughtful and sweet of you to say. cake.gif Very true, as well. Some of us, we beat ourselves up so much, yet it's not so obvious to those around us.

@ Rosa-- I had to look up Bean-Sidhe. hehe.gif Siouxsie indeed could be somewhat similar to what I google'd up just now. But the other thing is, she's also exactly what her name implies from pop culture. Not that she'll have hits on Skyrim's New Wave charts, but ... well... you'll see. Siouxsie is already in Laprima's gameworld, sort of.

Prison Break sounds interesting. I'm going to see about checking that out (please be on Netfix or Hulu....)

I wonder if we will be seeing Elija in the future? Perhaps sporting a pair of fangs?

wink.gif

@Acadian -- Absolutely I got some inspiration from our real-life goths. Back when I was younger I had several friends who were goth. Heck, my own sister had a goth phase in high school. Goths (in the States) have a reputation for being pretentious and "fake", but every one of my goth friends back in the day were quite genuine and lovely. Then again, when I was younger, I was somewhat of a hippy, but I had no interest in cliques. If I wanted to get to know somebody I'd just do so, regardless of how they dressed.

That being said, I have no idea why I rolled Laprima in this way. I recently lost all my early notes on her, matter of fact, when my previous computer had probs. mad.gif

@ Lopov-- Yeah, the thing is, at this point I'm not even sure if her aunt knows about Laprima's past, with her brother's disappearance and all. I don't think she does.

Gosh I hope I can finish Chapter 7 today.

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 27 2022, 02:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 27 2022, 09:04 PM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

Commitments and Commerce

IPB Image

Laprima and Elisif moved slowly through town, leaving the palace behind. While they did so, the queen's upbeat demeanor ticked down a notch, as she sensed her niece was not quite as enthusiastic.

"Laprima, I know this is difficult. But we must discuss a few more topics as we walk. Might this be a fair request?”

“It is,” Laprima answered. “Anything you would like to discuss, please do so.”

“I understand your schooling was going well before… Well."

“Before I went astray? Before I erred in my ways? It is alright to say.”

Her aunt nodded. “You were doing well with your studies. So I have heard.”

"I was," Laprima agreed. "And I do regret not being able to continue. Believe me, it's one of the things I've roiled within my mind again and again over these past months."

"Well please do not flog yourself, niece. Lucky for you, I possess a forgiving nature. We all need guidance at times. But you see, this is one of the reasons I agreed to allow you to come to Solitude. Because I have a belief that's all you require. Some guidance in these matters."

"Thank you."

"it's not easy being a woman in Skyrim, let me be the first to tell you this."

"Nor is it easy down in Cyrodiil," Laprima replied.

"You are especially interested in architecture?"

“I was. Well, I suppose I still am. The construction and designs of buildings are something I've just always took notice of, I guess. Even while walking into the palace earlier this afternoon, I felt some apprehension, I'll admit. But I also took all notice of all the stonework. The balustrades, and arches, the designs on the walls. ... What? What is it?”

Her aunt's face went taut. "I regret to say we haven't any sort of school or guild devoted to such pursuits, here in Solitude, nor have we the need for new buildings. But perchance, should you desire to further your education, we have several options right here within town. Why, the Bard's College is there to the right," she said, pointing to a tall, gray structure of stone.

"The Bard's College. But it sounds as if that’s a school for--"

"It is a school for musicians, singers, actors, and the like. I still remember that recital you performed for us," Elisif said with a wink. "You sang a song, accompanied by spinet and lyre, your young voice like a bell,” Elisif chuckled. "Absolutely charming. Ah, I cannot remember the song's name?"

"'Foster the Ranges,' Laprima answered. "I remember. I was so afraid I'd get booed. Hmm. But aunt Elisif, I am no singer now. I was just eight at the time!"

"Well sure, that is fine," said aunt. "That is just one idea. We also have several places to which you might find some decent employ. With what feels like a war beginning to stir, General Tullius is always looking for new recruits. Not that you'd become a soldier, by the Gods, no! But there are other ways we'll need assistance. You are educated, and Castle Dour is located just up the hill there. Perhaps you'd be interested in becoming an administrator. Or a bookkeeper. Or a--"

"Elisif, aye." Laprima looked down to her feet, trying not to brood. "I know there are possibilities, and I am eager to seek them. Why I am here."

"I apologize, Laprima. Throwing ideas round at you, when you literally just got here. It's just that I am so excited for your future. And. Well. I shall stop. Let us just enjoy the rest of this day."

Laprima agreed. She gazed to the sky, a look of puzzlement on her face. Literally minutes ago, sky had been sunny, but now it was white. The sky was white, because snow had begun to fall. And there it was, her first shiver in Skyrim. Because the air was starting to feel cold.

As the two of them strolled, they made a left turn at the end of one avenue, and began heading toward the town's market area. Some of Solitude's townies greeted Elisif, mostly by calling aloud to her, and Laprima noticed none of them seemed surprised to see their leader walking aside them.

Apparently, she'd done this before. The queen's twenty year-old niece surmised this by the way they greeted her. They did so in casual ways, such as "Nice to see you today, my lady," and "Dreadful weather we're having. Hope it soon abstains," as if their superior was any other individual. Nobody bowed, nobody curtsied, nobody tossed flowers before her feet, nobody cheered "All Hail!". This was admirable, Laprima thought; something not commonly seen amongst the small world of Tamriel's leaders.

Even the town beggar spoke to her directly. "You, you help me, right? You help people! That's what you do!"

"I'm always glad to help a friend if I can," she replied. And Laprima believed her.

Long ago in Third Era Cyrodiil, Leyawiin's Countess Alessia Caro was known to take monthly trips far and away, outside the safety and comfort of her town. Countess Caro, her bodyguard, and one of Leyawiin's soldiers would move slowly from Leyawiin to Chorrol, where Caro would visit her mother, Countess Arriana Valga. This was a dangerous journey of course, but also well-documented to be true. Though it seemed Elisif had never chanced such a trek, just the fact the queen felt comfortable ambling her own populace was something of positive note.

"Got any sausages?" the queen asked one of the food vendors. "Addvar here has the best seared slaughterfish in town," Elisif nudged her niece. "Would you like to try some?"

The two ladies ate their dinner, not at some grand table full of silverware, but right there, standing on the street. As they did so, Elisif explained to her niece that she had not officially become Skyrim's High Queen, not yet, she was technically still a jarl. For her to become queen meant a popular vote would need to be cast from all nine of Skyrim's holds, including Haafingar. At the moment, this could not happen; not with the jarl of Windhelm openly declaring himself to be the rightful ruler of all Skyrim.

But this did not matter to her people, who occasionally would greet her as "Queen". In their eyes, that's exactly who she was.

They walked almost the entire length of town, so that Laprima was back near the town's gates all over again. Here is where they arrived to the clothing shop Elisif had gushed about earlier: Radiant Raiment. "Don't mess anything up while you're in here," she cautioned her niece.

"Mess anything up? Why would I?"

"Err, you'll see."

Inside was the smell of clothes, but good clothes. Fresh leather, untarnished fastenings, stroked and cleaned furs. Radiant Raimant was run by two high elves. Both of them immediately rushed to Laprima and their queen, appearing from around a blind corner, startling their newcomers. "Ohh, what delight," one of the elves said. "Another charming customer."

"Endarie, this is my niece, Laprima Donnaugh. She'll be staying here in Solitude for a while. And we need to --ahem! -- expand her wardrobe," Elisif winked, standing up on her toes a moment. "So, what have we got in store today?"

"Let's see if we can't find an outfit that suits you," Endarie said, her brow creased, her nose slightly upturned.

The two elves stepped back a few paces to let the women shop, but they never let Laprima, or even their queen, entirely out of their sight.

"My, my," Laprima said in a low voice to her aunt. "An outfit which suits me. Is she always so smug?"

Her aunt did not answer just then. "A word of advice," she offered.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Don't buy discounted clothing."

Laprima shrugged, trying not to giggle. "Not to worry. I have my own funds, aunt Elisif."

And she did. Many people when they traveled, did so with very little coin on their persons, for a variety of reasons. Usually, they did not wish for their riches to get robbed. But Laprima had come into town with just over five-hundred gold, not knowing if she'd 'need' it or not.

"Well, hello-oo!" said the second elf just then. "Here to buy? Well if you have to ask the price, you might be in the wrong shoppe."

"Laprima, this is Taarie," Elisif introduced.

"I do hope you remain in Solitude," said Taarie. "This city could use some new blood."

Laprima spotted a dress which caught her eye, hanging right there on the rack. The dress was a mixture of dark blues and blacks, with pretty little red flowers stitched into its blouse area. Its upper sleeves were a muted tan color. But it also looked warm. By now, Laprima was well aware of the fact that yes, it does get cold and snow here in Solitude. The dark-colored dress was priced at 142. She grabbed it, removed the wretched golden suit she'd worn into town, then took a few minutes to lace herself within the new dress.

IPB Image

"What do you think?" she asked her aunt.

"Oh, but that is so dark!" Elisif contorted her face in mock-horror. "Are you sure this is what you wish to buy?"

Yes it was. Laprima could not help herself. She'd pick out a second outfit to please her aunt. But she was also buying this dress. She bustled back to the counter, peering at the clothing rack by the wall, again.

"Oh, let me just drop everything to help you," the first elf said. "I don't mind, really."

"Mm hmm. Well, you should not. Since we are the only patrons you've got at the moment." Laprima thought to continue her taunt into a full-blown insult. But now was not the time. It was getting late, and she was feeling sleepy. Let us get this excursion over and done with.

This time she selected an aqua-colored blouse and skirt set made of silk, which came with an overlying blue cotton midriff. 114 gold. Not her first choice, but it wouldn't hurt to try on. Laprima bought it on the spot, her total expenditures tonight up to two-hundred and fifty-six. Though this was roughly half of what she'd brought into Skyrim, and it might seem as though she should be more careful with her money, Laprima also knew money would not be a problem for her.

Chamany had made his promise after all, and his was a word she could trust. Laprima took the time to unlace and unfasten the first dress she bought, to try on the second.

IPB Image

"Would you look at that! Oh ... that one will do!" her aunt approved.

Good. Their shopping excursion was now over. Laprima and Elisif left Radiant Raiment, and headed back home. Home, to the Blue Palace, which the younger woman suddenly realized was indeed her new home. All that time upon that sailing ship, she hadn't even considered thinking she'd be living in an actual palace, considering it the place where she'd lay her head, not until now. But that's exactly what it was.

As they moved past the market, a group of children ran up to Elisif and Laprima. "Hey, wanna play tag?" one of the boys asked. Elisif the Fair chuckled, while Laprima could not help but notice the sky was getting dark.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 28 2022, 08:38 PM
Post #38

Paladin
Group Icon

An enlightening walk through Solitude, as Laprima makes astute observations about how comfortable and liked Elisef is among her people.

And finally to the Radiant Raiment! I’ve been looking forward to this and you did not disappoint. Funny and faithful to the pair of pompous divas that run the place. I remember them condescendingly trying to redirect Buffy to the children’s clothing shoppe down the street. laugh.gif And two fine choices in new dresses does Laprima make. Along with another mysterious reference to Chamany, this time as a source of gold.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 28 2022, 09:19 PM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

"Lucky for you, I possess a forgiving nature." My how humble of you Elisef to be so noble. rolleyes.gif

My, Elisef really is being a busy-body, helicopter parent. "You should go to this college, or work at a secretary... Just you know, don't do anything you would like to."

I like her new dark outfit. But oi! the price! She should buy discounted clothing... wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Mar 31 2022, 06:44 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

An interesting depiction of the walk through the town with her aunt trying to not be intrusive, but on the other hand she's almost dictating what Laprima should do and wear.

Lucky for you, I possess a forgiving nature.

Like she did something bad to Elisif. cool.gif I like your portrayal of Elisif, she slightly reminds me of one of my former bosses, she was woman as well, and was claiming that we have lots of liberty at our workplaces, but "from the back" there was more and more pressure, how things should have been made.

The dress in the second pic is gorgeous but being a pic-freak, I'd appreciate larger pics or at least such that we can click on, to enlarge them.

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:25 AM