Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Nov 23 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #802

Master
Group Icon

#YouCannotQuarantineThePalpatine

You’re a gun nut and a fan girl of all things shooty, right Mirocu my lad? Watch the Mandalorian. I’ll disintegrate you if you don’t

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #803

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Nov 23 2019, 04:34 AM) *

#YouCannotQuarantineThePalpatine

You’re a gun nut and a fan girl of all things shooty, right Mirocu my lad? Watch the Mandalorian. I’ll disintegrate you if you don’t

‘Rocu is not a fan of new things so your suggestion will go unheeded.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Nov 23 2019, 03:50 PM
Post #804

Master
Group Icon

THIS CALLS FOR A DISINTEGRATION

How about you m, Feline Man, you watched the ManDelorean yet or should I disintegrate you as well

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 23 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #805

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Nov 23 2019, 11:34 AM) *

You’re a gun nut and a fan girl of all things shooty, right Mirocu my lad?

IPB Image

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Nov 23 2019, 11:34 AM) *

Watch the Mandalorian. I’ll disintegrate you if you don’t

Oh, dear. Being disintegrated would most certainly clash with my whole going-to-work thing I got on Monday. Then again, Khajiit has a point:
QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 23 2019, 02:44 PM) *

‘Rocu is not a fan of new things so your suggestion will go unheeded.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Nov 23 2019, 04:03 PM
Post #806

Master
Group Icon

You must be brainwashed into loving the Mouse’s new entries to the Star Wars Universe

I’ll see to it that it will happen

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 23 2019, 07:26 PM
Post #807

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 23 2019, 03:00 AM) *

#HanSoloShotAndGreedyDidn'tShootAtAll

biggrin.gif

Maclunky!

tongue.gif

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 23 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #808

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I meant Greedo of course, not Greedy wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Nov 28 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #809

Master
Group Icon

As incompetent as they are portrayed in the shows, I must admit that I absolutely love the new canon Inquisitors. Something about their aesthetic just... draws me in.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 29 2019, 03:00 PM
Post #810

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Nov 28 2019, 01:13 PM) *

As incompetent as they are portrayed in the shows, I must admit that I absolutely love the new canon Inquisitors. Something about their aesthetic just... draws me in.

I only saw a little bit of them in the first season of Rebels (I didn’t see past that season). They seemed kinda “meh” to me. Like half assed Dark Jedi. Honestly I’m probably just a bit fatigued of the Empire era Star Wars stuff. I want to see the Mandalorian Wars and the rise of Revan become canon. On second thought, Disney’s track record with Star Wars is spotty so, maybe it’s best they just keep milking the Empire and post Empire era stuff.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Nov 29 2019, 03:00 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Nov 29 2019, 07:05 PM
Post #811

Master
Group Icon

“Half-assed Dark Jedi” is exactly what they’re meant to be and quite possibly one of the reasons I find them so intriguing. They’re not a bunch of in-your-face antagonists teeming with dark power, they’re essentially tools meant to be wielded by the Sith; the true lords of the Dark Side.

What can I say? I always did have a fascination with villains of lesser, B-caliber tier.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 1 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #812

Ancient
Group Icon

I don't mind the Inquisitors. I like them too. They provide a good mid-level threat for the characters. Someone more dangerous than stormtroopers or Tie Fighters, but less than Darth Vader. They were originally created in the Star Wars roleplaying game for that very purpose. They were an opponent you could throw at the players (who probably had at least one force user in the party), and give them a challenge. Without pitting them against a Dark Lord Of The Sith.

In other news, I just finished watching the latest episode of the Mandalorian. Lots of good stuff this time. The Mandalorian with No Name and Baby Yoda (Ba-da?) hide out in a back water world. They finally meet Gina Carano! Yay! She plays Cara Dune, and former Rebel commando who has turned mercenary with the advent of peace in the galaxy. They team up as the story turns into the Seven Two Samurai. It seems a band of orcs are raiding a local village. Orcs with an AT-ST. Well, you know what happens next. It was a fun take on an old and familiar plot (one which I have shameless stolen as well, so I am not throwing any shade).

Interesting thing is they actually directly address the Mandalorian with No Name's habit, or non-habit, of taking off his helmet. When asked about it, he says that if he ever takes it off (and shows his face to others), he can never put it back on again. Basically he gets kicked out of the Mando club.

Okay, that sounds, utterly moronic. Also an odd choice, as the Mandalorians from the Clone Wars and Rebels tv shows had no qualms about taking their helmets off. Those have always been canon. So are is John Favreau just changing history here? I dunno. I do like the whole shtick of him having his helmet on all the time. It is fun. Judge Dredd was the same, and it worked for him, just like it works for the Mandalorian With No Name. But the rationale given is... weak.

We also saw another bounty hunter with a tracking fob this episode, hunting Ba-da. I am guessing that these things are made of Hand-Wavium, since they magically point you to any person the writer wants them to. I get it though. It eliminates the need for any kind of detective work or searching. This way it puts the hero or villain exactly where the action is. Not very conducive to the suspension of disbelief however.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Dec 1 2019, 07:39 AM
Post #813

Master
Group Icon

Maybe that whole ‘take off my helmet thing’ was implemented *after* their so called Great Purge? I find that it would make sense if it was, since it’s implied that the Mandalorians are now a scattered people in hiding, relying on secrecy instead of overwhelming numbers to survive. Maybe the Empire humiliated them in some way? Melted down their iconic helmets? Evil empires do that kind of thing a lot to break the spirit of a conquered warrior culture, after all.

Now I haven’t watched the 7 Samurai, but the premise is so classic I immediately recognized it for what it is and that demonic looking AT-ST made me think of that Namiran insect-kaiju you had going on in Seven!

The episode as a whole is a solid 8.5/10 from me; the length is what subtracts from it tbh. If they can extend episodes length from under 40 minutes to an hour in the next season, it’ll be awesome!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 1 2019, 01:25 PM
Post #814

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Dec 1 2019, 12:39 AM) *

Now I haven’t watched the 7 Samurai

Wha-?!! ohmy.gif

It’s also not the first time a Star Wars production “borrowed” the Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven plotline either. Just saying, but as much as I like that plotline, I hope it doesn’t become overused.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Dec 1 2019, 01:30 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 1 2019, 04:22 PM
Post #815

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 1 2019, 07:25 AM) *

Wha-?!! ohmy.gif

It’s also not the first time a Star Wars production “borrowed” the Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven plotline either. Just saying, but as much as I like that plotline, I hope it doesn’t become overused.

Uleni, get thee to Akira Kurosawa at once! Seriously, Seven Samurai is a classic. It is long though, about 3.5 hours. So it is best to treat it like a tv show, and watch about an hour a day, rather than trying to do it all in one sitting. The beginning is a little slow too, as it is all about introducing the seven protagonists. But there are good characterizations in there, and a ton of gritty reality.

You could also look for the anime, Samurai Seven. It tells the same story, but with robots and mecha in addition to the samurai.

It is such a foundational story that as Khajiit pointed out, it can be easily overused. The Clone Wars did an episode of it where Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Ahsoka teamed up with a group of bounty hunters to fight off Weequay pirates led by Hondo. Of course I did it. The Magnificent Seven movies did it. There are probably hundreds of adaptations. In this case, I guess they did change it up a little in that it was only the Magnificent Two.

I don't think we will be seeing any episodes over 40 minutes. I read one theory that the reason for the short episodes is the cost. This show costs a mint to make each episode as it is, because they want all the effects to look good. Trying to do a standard hour long episode would probably be prohibitively expensive. HBO cancelled Rome simply because it cost too much after all.

But now that we are on episode 4, I think they also keep it shorter because a longer episode would probably require more thinking on the part of the writers. Seriously, while this show is fun, it is basically just one shoot out after another. There is almost nothing else, like character development, character arcs, or much in the way of plotting at all. The tracking fobs are an example. They magically point you to anyone in the galaxy. So you don't have to pay off informants, sift through reams of new stories and read between the lines, listen to rumors in the cantinas, trace down hundreds of false leads, or otherwise actually have to think or even act. Why waste even 30 seconds on a montage of a bounty hunter doing all these things when instead they could just wave a magic wand around and bam, start shooting?

Seriously, it is a fun show, I enjoy watching it. But it does not have much depth.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 1 2019, 04:49 PM
Post #816

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 1 2019, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 1 2019, 07:25 AM) *

Wha-?!! ohmy.gif

Uleni, get thee to Akira Kurosawa at once! Seriously, Seven Samurai is a classic. It is long though, about 3.5 hours. So it is best to treat it like a tv show, and watch about an hour a day, rather than trying to do it all in one sitting. The beginning is a little slow too, as it is all about introducing the seven protagonists. But there are good characterizations in there, and a ton of gritty reality.

I talked my GF into watching Seven Samurai back in January or February. I had seen half a dozen times already but she never had. We watched the whole thing in one evening. She loved it! She was particularly fond of Toshiro Mifune’s character, Kikuchiyo, but then, Toshiro Mifune is/was awesome so that’s very understandable!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 1 2019, 05:28 PM
Post #817

Ancient
Group Icon

Kikuchiyo steals the entire show! Mifune just chews the scenery with him. I used to call him the Monkey Boy, because of how ridiculous he acted. Kurosawa told him to be that way, because he wanted him to be a counterpoint to the other samurai, who were all stoic and disciplined and honorable.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 1 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #818

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 1 2019, 10:28 AM) *

Kikuchiyo steals the entire show! Mifune just chews the scenery with him. I used to call him the Monkey Boy, because of how ridiculous he acted. Kurosawa told him to be that way, because he wanted him to be a counterpoint to the other samurai, who were all stoic and disciplined and honorable.

Indeed!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Kane
post Dec 4 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #819

Master
Group Icon

Just got this bad boy:

IPB Image

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 4 2019, 11:29 PM
Post #820

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Dec 4 2019, 03:57 PM) *

Just got this bad boy:

IPB Image

I think he’s got a little captain in him

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

49 Pages V « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:04 AM