Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Old Habits Die Hard Part Four, old habits really do die hard
haute ecole rider
post Oct 9 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #41

Master
Group Icon

In Thread Four we continue Julian’s adventures with Chapter 19. Brace yourself!

For those joining the party late, here are links to the previous three threads:

Chapters 1 through 7
Chapters 8 through 13
Chapters 14 through 18

Chapter 19.1 Leyawiin Mages Guild

Jenseric would have found out by now that his name is cleared with the Watch. My mind returned to my interview with Hieronymus Lex. After I returned to the Imperial City with Seridur’s armor and claymore, I had reported the situation to Lex. He had agreed to send a messenger to Jenseric’s cabin to let the man know the outcome. Then I had sought healing from Jeelius in case I had contracted porphyric hemophilia.

That had been yesterday. I did not linger long, but instead returned to Paint and the Yellow Road south from the east coast of Lake Rumare. We had spent the night at the Imperial Bridge Inn before resuming our travel along the east side of the Niben Bay.

Paint threw his head up, his hooves clattering to a halt on the cobblestones. I looked down the twisting Yellow Road. The rain reduced visibility to less than a couple hundred meters. I dismounted when Paint remained tense, his ears flicking back and forth, his nostrils fluttering. What is it? Wolf? Troll? Spriggan? His reaction suggested it was something he had never seen before. I stepped forward, my katana ready.

A sizzling sound reached my ears, then a swirl of sparks coalesced in mid-air between me and Paint. The gelding tossed his head and stepped back as the will o’wisp solidified into its visible form. Cacat! Reflexively my katana leaped toward its glow, passing through it without any visible effect.

Paint whinnied and reared as a crackling bolt of orange lightning joined the will o’wisp to him. Flame-colored reflections sparked off the hilt of Daedra Slayer, attached to the cantle. I sheathed the katana and called on Domina Incendia to try and distract the insubstantial creature. As the will o’wisp slowly rotated in response to the flame atronach’s fireballs, I ran past it to Paint, who backed away, trembling violently. I laid a soothing hand on his shoulder and reached for my enchanted katana. Sliding it out of its scabbard, I turned around in time to see Domina Incendia dissolve from the will o’wisp’s counterattack.

Fortunately, Daedra Slayer proved as effective against the flame-shaped monster as it did against the vicious Dremora I had faced in the Deadlands. A few swings of its fiery blade dissipated the last energy of this foe, leaving behind softly glowing embers on the cobblestones.

A groan behind me spun me around. I watched horrified as Paint slowly crumpled to the slick surface of the road, his labored breaths loud in the pouring rain. “No!” As I ran to him, his head lowered to the stones, and his respiration slowed. Falling to my knees, I dropped Daedra Slayer at my side and laid my hands on his arched neck, tangling my fingers in his mane. I felt the overpowering weakness in his body as I called on my remaining magicka. The convalescence spell drained the last of my energy, and all I accomplished was a mild improvement in his stertorous breathing.

Frantically I searched in the saddle bags for the vials of magicka restoration I had purchased in the Imperial City. Finding them, I fumbled one out and hastily drank it down. Feeling the surge of energy in my core, I forced myself to calm, laying my hands on Paint’s still trembling form. I leaned my cheek on his smooth coat. “Paint, stay with me,” I whispered, concentrating on another convalescence spell. His breathing smoothed out, but the tremoring and weakness persisted.

It took all my willpower to fight back the terror I felt when I realized I might lose my traveling companion. Don’t die, Paint. You have to get up. You have to walk with me to Leyawiin. We can’t stay here in the wilderness. I drank another potion and cast another spell to help him recover.

Six vials, my entire supply of restore magicka potions, lay empty on the cobblestones, and I was shaking with the repeated spell-casting before Paint attempted to rise. His first attempt was unsuccessful, and left him blowing hard. The second try was better, and he swayed on his feet, muscles tremoring as if from a hard gallop over a long distance. Paint was too weak to lift his chiseled head, and his round brown eyes were half-closed and sunken into his skull. I rose to my feet, my hands on his shoulder as if trying to hold him up. When I was certain he wouldn’t collapse again, I gathered the empty vials, stowing them into the saddlebags. I strapped my plain katana to my back, and removed the scabbard for Daedra Slayer, attaching it to my belt at my left hip. My plain steel bow was traded for Akatosh’s Fury, which I strung and made ready in case of more of these dangerous creatures.

I led Paint off the road down to the river bank. The mud crabs clattered away from us as I gathered wood. Paint drank from the Niben, then stood motionless, his head low, while I made a rough hearth and built a fire. I watched him anxiously as I added wood to the flames. I have some restore health potions in the pack, but how to get him to drink them? How many potions would be effective for a horse his size? I could feel my magicka slowly replenishing. As Paint did not seem to worsen, I decided to wait until my energy was fully returned and try another convalescence spell again.

The night passed with agonizing slowness as I sat with Paint. Every time my magicka replenished to its full strength, I would cast a convalescence spell on him. I dozed fitfully in between, torn between the need to reach Leyawiin as quickly as possible and my promise to the deceased Prior who had so generously given me such a wonderful traveling companion. The rain soaked me to the skin, but I paid it no mind.

By the time the overcast sky lightened with the dawn, Paint was no longer trembling, and was able to walk, albeit slowly. His head remained low, and his eyes did not sparkle with his usual humor. He showed little interest in the grass at his feet, and did not snatch at the edible forage as we slowly walked back to the road.

Though I cast convalescence on him whenever my magicka replenished, I could not restore Paint’s vigor or strength. To spare him, I walked down the Yellow Road, leading him behind me and stopping often to let him rest.

The shadows of Leyawiin appeared through the rain a few hours later as we trudged along the Yellow Road. The city, built on the west bank of the southern Niben, seemed to disappear within its surroundings of black oaks and bald cypresses draped with tillandsia - better known as hangman’s moss, according to the Guide to Cyrodiilic Flora. The stuff was everywhere, giving the trees a sinister appearance in the rain.

As I approached this newest city in Cyrodiil, I caught my breath in dismay to find - not one, but two - Oblivion Gates crackling ominously on the eastern banks of the Niben, across from Leyawiin. I was reluctant to bring my horse down to the eastern city gate, not with daedra swarming the road nearby.

After we backtracked up the river to a bridge, I brought Paint around to the far side of the city, where I found a stable. The Khajiit Atahba assured me that she would do the best she could for my weakened horse. She purred soothingly to the gelding as she led him within the shed. The knot of worry in my chest remained as I reluctantly put him out of my mind and focused on my mission.

When I entered the city, I decided to head to the Mages Guild first, and get a feel for the situation. I had never been to Leyawiin before, and knew next to nothing about its Count, Marius Caro.

Entering the Guild chapter house, I was glad to find it dry and not too warm. A young Nord, somewhat taller than me, turned around from the library table set in the center of the hall. After he laid the broadsheet down, he greeted me, putting his hands together and giving me a half-bow. “Greetings, ma’am. Kalthar, mage journeyman. How may I help you?”

I eyed him warily. Though his greeting seemed friendly enough, I thought I saw discontentment in his black eyes and beetling brows. “I’m Julian from Anvil,” speaking slowly, I watched him. This anger of his is not directed at me. “I’ve just joined the Guild, and am gathering recommendations to gain admission to the University.” Aha, there it is.

Kalthar’s gaze turned even darker as his brows drew together into a furry caterpillar. “Oh, boy, good luck getting that,” he muttered. “You’d need to talk to Dagail about that. Only thing is, do you even want to?”

Schooling my face to remain bland, I frowned inwardly at his attitude. What’s with this Mages Guild? Open hostility and overt disrespect for one’s superiors? This would never last ten seconds in the Legion! “Where can I find her, sir?”

He pointed up to a flying passage above the main floor, connecting the two wings at the second level. “She’s up there, pretending to read.”

“Thank you, sir,” I said to him, seeing the scowl ease on his face. Moving to the staircase at the back of the hall, I climbed slowly up the steps. When I reached the landing, I looked around. An aged Bosmer woman sat quietly, book open in her lap, her gaze on some distant horizon visible only to her.

After I set my pack on the floor some distance away, I walked quietly to the bench and sat down next to the old woman. “Dagail, ma’am?”

“Hmm?” she turned her head to me, her ancient gaze still remote. “You seek wisdom from me, child?”

“I’m Julian, from Anvil,” I began, uncomfortable with the way she seemed to stare through me. “I’m looking for the chapter head, Dagail.”

“No, you seek words,” the old mer spoke, her voice as faraway as her gaze. “Words are . . . difficult. I hear so many voices, so loud I can not hear the words they say.” Now her faded eyes seemed to focus on me. “Will you lift your hands to help another? Will you help me find the word?”

Puzzled, I considered my answer. A seer? “Yes, I’ll help,” I said finally.

She smiled at me. “Then speak to Agata, child. She will see the path, and set you upon it.”

“Hello?” a more grounded voice reached me. I looked up at a plain Nord woman, her worn face showing a concern that I felt was not for me. I introduced myself and explained my purpose. She waved for me to follow her into the north wing. After retrieving my pack, I followed her through a heavy paneled door. As she closed the door behind us, she gestured for me to proceed ahead of her into a small room containing two beds. “Put your things there for now,” she said. “I’m Agata,” she continued. “I help Dagail with the administrative tasks. You may have noticed that she’s -” her eyes shifted uneasily, “- not well.”

“She mentioned voices, and trouble finding the word,” I said. “She did tell me to talk to you about it.”

Agata sighed and sat on the other bed, motioning for me to do the same. “She has visions, you see,” she looked down at her roughened hands. “They’ve been helpful in the past, but now they have become problematic. She had an amulet,” her fingers touched her breast, where such a piece of jewelry would lie, “a family heirloom that helped her focus these visions. Without it, all she sees and hears is chaos.”

“And she has lost it?” I asked quietly, fingering the Jewel of the Rumare on my little finger. It had become such a part of me, I never thought to remove it. It allowed me to swim long distances underwater without surfacing, and had served me well in Cheydinhal. It also reminded me of my good friend, who loved Paint as much as I did. Sadness at the thought of his condition choked my throat, and I forced it away with a swallow. Looking up in time to see Agata’s nod, I considered the situation. “Have you spoken to the other mages about it?”

“I’ve tried to keep it from them, for fear they would be less - accepting of her.”

“Of Dagail, or of her authority?” I asked, thinking of Kalthar.

Agata considered my words. “Both,” she said finally. “Dagail had a good reputation within the guild, and was valuable to the Council of Mages. But as she became older, she became less coherent. The Council sent her here.” She rose and paced to the leaded window, looking out at the rainy day outside. “There are some here who resent her presence, and wish she’d disappear.” She shot me a fierce glance. “I do not. I am proud to help her with her daily tasks.”

“Well,” I said after a moment, “I promised Dagail that I would help her.” I rose to my feet and started pulling out my civilian clothing. Fortunately the bag had kept everything dry. “Let me change, and I can get started.” I glanced at Agata, already unbuckling the cuirass. “There are a couple of things I need to do in town,” I paused to shrug the armor off with a soft susurrus of mail. “But I keep my promises.”

“Talk to the other mages, see if they know anything about the Seer’s Stone,” Agata moved away from the window. “That’s what Dagail calls her amulet.”

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Oct 13 2010, 03:17 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
haute ecole rider   Old Habits Die Hard Part Four   Oct 9 2010, 04:10 PM
D.Foxy   I wanted to read some other threads before this on...   Oct 9 2010, 04:22 PM
mALX   First, congratulations on thread 4. Then: GAAAAA...   Oct 9 2010, 04:23 PM
Acadian   Congratulations on your new thread! :cake: ...   Oct 9 2010, 05:02 PM
SubRosa   Somehow the idea of Hieronymous Lex interviewing J...   Oct 9 2010, 07:49 PM
treydog   First, congratulations of Thread 4! It is a t...   Oct 9 2010, 10:49 PM
Destri Melarg   Thread four?! Already? By the Nine, hautee, y...   Oct 10 2010, 11:05 AM
mALX   Wow! Lot’s of Kalthar hate out there! ...   Oct 10 2010, 01:11 PM
haute ecole rider   @Foxy: Thanks for the compliment! Yes, old hab...   Oct 11 2010, 04:20 PM
SubRosa   Alves! She has been my favorite person in Leya...   Oct 11 2010, 04:52 PM
mALX   I thought Julian was beautiful even before I learn...   Oct 11 2010, 04:58 PM
D.Foxy   Er....what type of thong are we talking about??? ...   Oct 11 2010, 05:42 PM
mALX   Er....what type of thong are we talking about??? ...   Oct 11 2010, 06:40 PM
D.Foxy   Dang. I meant Sisqo, of course....and with that wh...   Oct 11 2010, 06:52 PM
mALX   Dang. I meant Sisqo, of course....and with that w...   Oct 11 2010, 06:59 PM
SubRosa   Given the silky white hair, I think the only logic...   Oct 11 2010, 09:57 PM
mALX   Given the silky white hair, I think the only logi...   Oct 11 2010, 10:15 PM
Acadian   I loved this! You go Alves! Girl up, Jul...   Oct 12 2010, 01:48 AM
Destri Melarg   Dang. I meant Sisqo, of course....and with that w...   Oct 12 2010, 02:18 AM
Doommeister   And, since we have decided to share our ideas of...   Nov 3 2010, 01:46 PM
treydog   Yes, there is definitely much more to Alves hidden...   Oct 12 2010, 12:15 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Alves will have to remain a mystery for ...   Oct 13 2010, 03:15 PM
mALX   I was surprised that after you return the amulet t...   Oct 13 2010, 03:44 PM
Acadian   Well done, Rider! I think you made excellent ...   Oct 13 2010, 04:00 PM
SubRosa   His blood was being cleaned off my katana and armo...   Oct 13 2010, 04:43 PM
Destri Melarg   SubRosa said everything I would have! I love ...   Oct 14 2010, 09:39 AM
treydog   Others have already mentioned much of what struck ...   Oct 14 2010, 10:30 PM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: I think I have briefly mentioned the Sunbir...   Oct 15 2010, 05:46 PM
Acadian   I really loved this! Yes, I am humbled and de...   Oct 15 2010, 06:30 PM
Destri Melarg   I was sooo hoping that Julian would agree to take ...   Oct 16 2010, 10:22 AM
mALX   It always surprises me to read Julian has been in ...   Oct 16 2010, 06:58 PM
SubRosa   The sight of more stairs rising to lead back into ...   Oct 16 2010, 08:19 PM
treydog   An interesting touch- Julian has become used to ...   Oct 16 2010, 09:18 PM
haute ecole rider   @Acadian: I don’t quite see the Count as wea...   Oct 17 2010, 01:52 PM
mALX   You have so captured Mazoga in this, Awesome Write...   Oct 17 2010, 02:01 PM
treydog   Diplomacy requires many weapons; Julian obviousl...   Oct 17 2010, 03:24 PM
Acadian   I agree. This was wonderfully done. I see that y...   Oct 17 2010, 05:25 PM
SubRosa   It was so good to see Mazoga in action again. As A...   Oct 17 2010, 05:39 PM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: Thanks! @trey: I’m glad you liked the ...   Oct 19 2010, 03:22 PM
SubRosa   This was a nice episode with a steady pace, showin...   Oct 19 2010, 04:43 PM
Acadian   I really enjoyed this. You are doing a great job ...   Oct 19 2010, 06:37 PM
Destri Melarg   Chapter 19.5 Sir Mazoga Mazoga hints at a past spe...   Oct 19 2010, 06:56 PM
mALX   or perhaps jealousy? She certainly is paying a ...   Oct 20 2010, 04:42 AM
treydog   The interactions of your characters are a joy to w...   Oct 20 2010, 09:12 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: That was the one thing that niggled me t...   Oct 21 2010, 03:02 PM
SubRosa   his temporal spines rising to vertical, much like ...   Oct 21 2010, 03:23 PM
Acadian   Great fun! Leyawiin is quite an interesting p...   Oct 21 2010, 03:28 PM
mALX   My favorite part: GAAAAAAH!!!...   Oct 21 2010, 03:35 PM
treydog   Seems Sir Mazoga is not the only one who is as det...   Oct 21 2010, 03:44 PM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: Will Julian pass on her tact to Mazoga? ...   Oct 23 2010, 02:31 PM
D.Foxy   Excellent tactical thinking and preparation, Julia...   Oct 23 2010, 03:00 PM
treydog   The description of the walk to Fisherman’s Rock wa...   Oct 23 2010, 03:10 PM
SubRosa   “You killed my best friend Ra’vindra. Now I’m here...   Oct 23 2010, 05:21 PM
mALX   This chapter had way too many places to quote that...   Oct 23 2010, 08:38 PM
haute ecole rider   @D. Foxy: I accept the steel pen with humble grati...   Oct 25 2010, 04:04 PM
SubRosa   I loved Julian's audience with the Count and C...   Oct 25 2010, 05:02 PM
mALX   HOLY COW!!!!!! The Coun...   Oct 25 2010, 06:06 PM
Destri Melarg   Chapter 19.7 Weebum-Na I like how you brought the...   Oct 25 2010, 06:52 PM
treydog   This is a chapter where Julian really shines. Wel...   Oct 25 2010, 08:02 PM
Acadian   The battle at Fisherman's Rock was gritty and ...   Oct 26 2010, 10:18 PM
Ginner   I loved the way that you do not confuse the reader...   Oct 27 2010, 12:36 AM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: If you liked this throwdown with the Cou...   Oct 27 2010, 03:56 PM
SubRosa   Always better to throw down than to throw up! ...   Oct 27 2010, 06:21 PM
mALX   OMG!!! I have been screaming and jump...   Oct 27 2010, 08:16 PM
Destri Melarg   YES!!! Like 'Rosa and mALX, I was...   Oct 27 2010, 08:36 PM
treydog   Loved the cinematic quality of that image. And e...   Oct 27 2010, 09:04 PM
Acadian   A rousing episode indeed. A couple times I found ...   Oct 28 2010, 01:21 AM
haute ecole rider   @SubRosa: I rather thought that segment would get ...   Oct 29 2010, 02:46 PM
mALX   Your depiction of Mazoga gets better with each cha...   Oct 29 2010, 03:41 PM
Acadian   Lovely! :) I thoroughly enjoyed the contr...   Oct 29 2010, 04:46 PM
mALX   GAAAAAAAH !!!!! I hope by in ...   Oct 29 2010, 04:55 PM
Acadian   Yes, by Weye, I meant, um, Weye. Not the Imperial...   Oct 29 2010, 05:04 PM
SubRosa   “A horse a friend?” Buffy and Teresa would have n...   Oct 29 2010, 08:40 PM
D.Foxy   You know something, rider? I resisted, and resist...   Oct 30 2010, 05:09 AM
treydog   The return of Paint is bittersweet; I am happy to ...   Oct 30 2010, 01:45 PM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: Thanks for your thumbs up on my view of Maz...   Oct 31 2010, 02:23 PM
treydog   The contrast between Bravil and Leyawiin was deftl...   Oct 31 2010, 04:04 PM
mALX   Do we assume she stopped and talked to Marz on her...   Oct 31 2010, 05:40 PM
SubRosa   So does Isabeau look like Michelle Pfeiffer, and t...   Oct 31 2010, 06:02 PM
Acadian   Yay, Bravil! Antoine is a peach. I hope Marz...   Nov 1 2010, 01:02 AM
Destri Melarg   Chapter 19.11 The Lodge The update on Paint’s con...   Nov 1 2010, 10:53 AM
haute ecole rider   @treydog: I wanted to establish Bravil as a friend...   Nov 2 2010, 01:28 PM
mALX   ARGH!!!!! PAINT !!...   Nov 2 2010, 02:47 PM
D.Foxy   :blink: I would never have thought of THAT as the...   Nov 2 2010, 02:56 PM
Acadian   I very much enjoyed your portrayal of Ita and the ...   Nov 2 2010, 04:17 PM
SubRosa   Very clever twist on the wisp's attack, and it...   Nov 2 2010, 04:24 PM
Remko   I, like all others, have Paint in my heart as much...   Nov 2 2010, 04:34 PM
treydog   This is another one where I just want to quote the...   Nov 2 2010, 09:14 PM
Destri Melarg   I like how Ita Rienus gives Julian an assessment o...   Nov 2 2010, 11:47 PM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: Julian wants to leave Paint where she can v...   Nov 4 2010, 02:28 PM
mALX   Great descriptions in this chapter! The deali...   Nov 4 2010, 03:12 PM
SubRosa   “What is it, Lerus?” His tone held overt contempt ...   Nov 4 2010, 03:36 PM
Acadian   Wow! Some true colors revealed. So Lerus is ...   Nov 4 2010, 05:35 PM
treydog   Upon seeing the No-Count, we are immediately given...   Nov 4 2010, 08:36 PM
Destri Melarg   I think it is telling that the two poorest cities ...   Nov 5 2010, 10:37 AM
haute ecole rider   @mALX: Thanks! I think you will really enjoy t...   Nov 6 2010, 03:42 PM
D.Foxy   Ah, well, not all Khajit are nice to kiss. Some Kh...   Nov 6 2010, 03:52 PM
mALX   SPEW !!!! This was great ...   Nov 6 2010, 04:00 PM
Acadian   Heh. I can see that you did! :P This w...   Nov 6 2010, 08:10 PM
SubRosa   Before you decide if the Count is bad or not, keep...   Nov 6 2010, 09:06 PM
2 Pages V  1 2 >

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:23 AM