Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Discussion, Got a new idea, post it here!
dark_soul
post Sep 23 2006, 06:44 AM
Post #1

Evoker

Thread for the discussion of ideas.
Anything you would like to see in the Pirate Isles!

This post has been edited by dark_soul: Sep 25 2006, 03:06 PM

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Come join the discussion! -
- Hunting a Modeller -
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aventhorn
post Sep 23 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #2

Retainer

How about a mission where you have to kill a giant slaughterfish to prove yourself to an NPC to get a quest.

--------------------
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Sep 23 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #3

Evoker

I'm considering some fights with larger than normal slaughterfish.
They are annoying though, as they don't move very fast through the water so they are not as scary as i would like.

The ones i placed about the boats can be a pain, with your allies leaping into the water to kill them. They have also been a pain by appearing ontop of the boats, even though they are placed in the water. Depending on some more playtests, i may remove them from about the boats.

This post has been edited by dark_soul: Sep 23 2006, 05:39 PM

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Aventhorn
post Sep 23 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Retainer

You can edit the speed in the cs but I dont know how fast you can make them I know the highest size you can go is 10. I tried to put one in anvil before but it wouldnt appear maybe because of the new texture i put on it sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Sep 24 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Evoker

Yeah the biggest is 10, don't think i'll have anything that big. I'll have a look at making them faster, theres something much more scary about being out-maneouvered in the water.

Well i'm working on making more variety in the ship battles next, as well as making more flags and names for the ship for the player to choose. Also going to add some general first mates, they won't have any special abilities, for the player to hire. I need some names for pirate ships people would like to be able to choose from as well as some names for ranks for the player to achieve when they get a certain rating. Ie - for each 10 or so levels of pirate rating, you go up a rank in reputation, at level 0-5 you are a Landlubber, 6-10 Corsair, 11-20 Sea Dog, 90-100 Scourge of the Sea. Now need some more names.

I'm setting up the mod so people can easily add to it. I hope when i release the full version that people will be inspired to create their own quests and islands for the Pirate Isles!

As for the island docks, i might just modify the little island upriver from anvil, and add a stable marker (without a stable) that the player can go to. I'm removing the option to go back and forth from Anvil and the Islands without the ship.

This post has been edited by dark_soul: Sep 24 2006, 04:05 PM

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Flightf1
post Sep 25 2006, 01:35 AM
Post #6

Associate

Ok, well i have your BETA, but i havn't gotten to the hide-out, so take this into account when reading my post.

How about when you get the hide-out, at first its just a place where your crew hangs out. But then u get a quest to "improve" it. by "improve" i mean hire people to do certain jobs. Like say you go to one town and find that the bartender there isn't happy working for his employer, so you offer him a chance to work at your place. You do a small quest for him and then he goes to your hide-out and sells you ale and stuff. You could have small quests like these to get a bartender/Inn keeper/Weapons salesperson/Magic Salesperson/A trainer for sword/Alchemist/Blacksmith stuff like that.
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Sep 25 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #7

Evoker

Hehe, you should go get the hideout wink.gif

Added ship repairs, the ship has 5 damage points. It costs 100 gold to repair a point, at 1 point the ship is no longer capable of looting. At less than 3 points you are limited in possible enemies, ie you won't run into prisoner ships or smugglers or the treasure ship, and more likely to be caught up to by the navy and enemy pirates.

What do you think could be possible upgrades so far i have these:
- Cargo Hold: I was going to make it so the ship can only hold 2 lots of cargo at a time (ie 2 manifests)
with the choice to either upgrade its cargo capacity to 4, or up it to 3 and increase the room for captives. (lets you capture upto 3 captives instead of just 1).
- Improve rigging: Lets you range further (ie run into prisoner ships smugglers and the chance to run into the treasure ship.)
- Reinforced hull: Gives you 7 damage points on first upgrade, 10 damage points on second upgrade.

Any other ideas?

This post has been edited by dark_soul: Sep 25 2006, 03:02 PM

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Flightf1
post Sep 25 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #8

Associate

Maybe add some kind of speed value, so that if you enter a battle that you dont think you can win, you go to the steering wheel, and get a chance to escape. It could be like 80% chance to escape from merchants, 60% pirates, and 30% navy (youd have to play around with values). Then you can upgrade sails and stuff to increase those values.
+Quote Post
ataylor
post Sep 25 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #9

Associate

How about a mission where you have too much too drink at a pirate ale house, and then have to complete some sort of quest drunk.

It'd be a really funny, and hard, mission to do if you included the Inebraition (sp?) mod. Not quite sure what you'd have to complete in the drunken state, possibly evading the royal navy's irons.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
michaelrules
post Sep 25 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #10

Associate

for all the lazy people who don't feel like looting maybe you could put an Auto-loot.
this feature would take all items and sell them, you would get the gold from that and split it with your crew. the higher the pirate level the more of the loot you get.
say lvl 1-5%
lvl 10-10% and so on
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Sep 26 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #11

Evoker

And then there was a webpage! http://pirates.chorrol.com/

QUOTE(Flightf1 @ Sep 26 2006, 12:38 AM) *

Maybe add some kind of speed value, so that if you enter a battle that you dont think you can win, you go to the steering wheel, and get a chance to escape. It could be like 80% chance to escape from merchants, 60% pirates, and 30% navy (youd have to play around with values). Then you can upgrade sails and stuff to increase those values.

I'll have a look into it, at the moment i'm not too keen on letting the player flee battles. Adds that feeling of danger.

QUOTE(ataylor @ Sep 26 2006, 01:58 AM) *

How about a mission where you have too much too drink at a pirate ale house, and then have to complete some sort of quest drunk.

It'd be a really funny, and hard, mission to do if you included the Inebraition (sp?) mod. Not quite sure what you'd have to complete in the drunken state, possibly evading the royal navy's irons.

I definetly want a mission involving drinking. And i love that inebriation mod, though it was a bit painful to stare at! I'm not sure i want to change all the drinks in the game. I might use it on the Facundo Rum only (which i added in my mod), then advise people on the download page to get the inebriation mod. It definetly enhances the pirate experience.

QUOTE(michaelrules @ Sep 26 2006, 08:13 AM) *

for all the lazy people who don't feel like looting maybe you could put an Auto-loot.
this feature would take all items and sell them, you would get the gold from that and split it with your crew. the higher the pirate level the more of the loot you get.
say lvl 1-5%
lvl 10-10% and so on

The looting is semi automatic. When you take the cargo manifest it represents a lot of loot. You can then get extra miscelleanous loot by searching the ship.

This post has been edited by dark_soul: Sep 26 2006, 02:32 PM

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Aventhorn
post Sep 28 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #12

Retainer

YAY!! webpage. I'll add that to my sig.

--------------------
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Sep 29 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #13

Evoker

What do people think of ship damage, should there be chance for it to occur every battle, or only when you have less than five crew after a battle (ie setting sail with less than 5 crew)?

Also i plan to make it if you try and leave a battle without killing the enemy crew then the ship suffers damage "pulling away". Against navy ships, you will need the rigging upgrade on your ship to outrun them if you try and leave a battle against the navy without killing them all, and you will still take damage like fighting merchants.

Also with surrendering, i'm making it so if you come up in a battle against merchants or fisher boats you start in the cabin with their captain and you can try and convince them to surrender. I think i'll make it a combination of pirate rating, speechcraft, luck and a random variable (just to mix things up a little) to make them surrender, and if it fails you go straight to battle.

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Sailor Al
post Sep 29 2006, 03:39 AM
Post #14

Associate

All these ideas are good! The one that begs a comment, I think, is regarding the ship taking damage if the crew is less than 5...

For sure, the more the crew (within reason), the less likely damage to the ship. This would be because with more crew, you overwhelm the enemy more quickly, and because after the battle you have more people to repair the ship and sail her home.

Still, there's always the chance something dumb is going to happen.

So, maybe the ideal would be that there's always the chance that something could go wrong, so there's a check for one step of damage. But if you have less than 5, there's another check for more.

OR, if that's too much to do, I'm happy with there's a check only if your crew are less than 5. Either way, it's another reason for you to keep your crew up! Heck, I'm happy with everything in this mod!
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Sep 29 2006, 04:58 AM
Post #15

Evoker

QUOTE(Sailor Al @ Sep 29 2006, 12:39 PM) *

All these ideas are good! The one that begs a comment, I think, is regarding the ship taking damage if the crew is less than 5...

For sure, the more the crew (within reason), the less likely damage to the ship. This would be because with more crew, you overwhelm the enemy more quickly, and because after the battle you have more people to repair the ship and sail her home.

Still, there's always the chance something dumb is going to happen.

So, maybe the ideal would be that there's always the chance that something could go wrong, so there's a check for one step of damage. But if you have less than 5, there's another check for more.

OR, if that's too much to do, I'm happy with there's a check only if your crew are less than 5. Either way, it's another reason for you to keep your crew up! Heck, I'm happy with everything in this mod!

Good idea. So every battle theres a chance of lightly damaging your ship (1 point) and if you lose a lot of crew your ship can suffer more. I like it. Now to fix this damn enemy crew script and the damn placeatme/deletefullactorcopy/levelledlists

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
The Vulture
post Sep 30 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #16

Evoker

you should have more than 8 hireable pirates at a time. You can hire as many as the hideout and the ship can handle, but you choose who you want to go on a voyage with, and who stays to guard the hideout.

also a quest that allows you to take care of some..competition. happy.gif

--------------------
check out my forum The Order Of Shorn
+Quote Post
Plycat430
post Oct 1 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #17

Retainer

Here is an idea for a quest

The search for the Black Pearl (or any other ship name)

After u got your ship and u sleep inside it u get a dream and thenu are told to go to the bar (that place were u buy the pirates-can't remember the name) then when u speak to the owner about your dream he tells u, u are the chosen one to find the black pearl and gives u a peace of paper with an image of a key on, u are then sent to the other town were all the imperial guards guy's are to talk to Black Boot Jhon a famous old pirate who once was captian of the Black Pearl. Then he talls u were the boat is hidden but that u must find the key to it. Th Black Pearl u can hide on the original island u start off at but on the other side between rocks and stuff. U can let Black boot Jhon tell u that the key is hidden at the top of the island and then u give a map marker to the the player to where it is , then u find the black pearl and its key an then take it for yuor self.
+Quote Post
dark_soul
post Oct 1 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #18

Evoker

QUOTE(The Vulture @ Oct 1 2006, 01:19 AM) *

you should have more than 8 hireable pirates at a time. You can hire as many as the hideout and the ship can handle, but you choose who you want to go on a voyage with, and who stays to guard the hideout.

also a quest that allows you to take care of some..competition. happy.gif

I can make 2 seperate groups of pirates you can hire for, the hideout and the ship. But due to scripting and AI package demands its rather difficult to make a combined group, so that you can take pirates from your hideout to your ship if you need them. The other thing is pirates at the hideout don't do much except add ambience wink.gif Though theres a couple that offer training. Would people prefer to hire pirates individually for their hideout? Or hire them as a group (like an upgrade)? Currently they appear when you acquire the allied ships.

Competition wise, you will actually run into pirates on the sea, they're one of the possible opponents.
There will be a special quest regarding some specific enemy, the imperial navy wink.gif

QUOTE(Plycat430 @ Oct 1 2006, 07:10 PM) *

Here is an idea for a quest

The search for the Black Pearl (or any other ship name)

After u got your ship and u sleep inside it u get a dream and thenu are told to go to the bar (that place were u buy the pirates-can't remember the name) then when u speak to the owner about your dream he tells u, u are the chosen one to find the black pearl and gives u a peace of paper with an image of a key on, u are then sent to the other town were all the imperial guards guy's are to talk to Black Boot Jhon a famous old pirate who once was captian of the Black Pearl. Then he talls u were the boat is hidden but that u must find the key to it. Th Black Pearl u can hide on the original island u start off at but on the other side between rocks and stuff. U can let Black boot Jhon tell u that the key is hidden at the top of the island and then u give a map marker to the the player to where it is , then u find the black pearl and its key an then take it for yuor self.

Given the complications of scripting the blackmoon movement wise, and the pirate flags, theres only going to be one ship you can acquire.

--------------------
- The Pirate Isles -
- Hunting a Modeller -
+Quote Post
Plycat430
post Oct 1 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #19

Retainer

Have u made any more progress
+Quote Post
ataylor
post Oct 1 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #20

Associate

QUOTE(dark_soul @ Oct 1 2006, 12:26 PM) *

Would people prefer to hire pirates individually for their hideout? Or hire them as a group (like an upgrade)? Currently they appear when you acquire the allied ships.

I'd prefer to hire them indivdually.

You could add some depth and some character to the ones you hire then, as they wouldn't just appear as a group, but you'd have gone to them to hire them.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

19 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:30 PM