Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gaming Technomancy, Our Own Experiences With Gaming Technology
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 17 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 17 2018, 05:26 AM) *

An FPS limiter puts a hard cap on the frames per second a game will run at. It is a necessary alternative to V-Sync because going over 60 fps literally breaks Bethesda's games. Time in their games is measured by frames per second. Go over 60, and you literally speed up the passage of game time. That breaks the physics engine, and causes all sorts of bugs.

Normally the game's V-Sync takes care of that by fixing the game's frame rate at 60. But G-Sync won't work with V-Sync on. The whole purpose of G-Sync is to dynamically link the monitor and video card's frame rates, so they each match one another as the fps goes up and down.

With the frame rate capped instead, the game won't go over 60 fps and break the game. But it can still dip below that just fine, and the video card and monitor will remain G-Synced. That eliminates stuttering and lag.

Hmm, interesting. This was a big problem in Skyrim, but Fallout4 seems to be much improved in this area.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Apr 20 2018, 03:45 AM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

I guess I need to talk about the Nintendo Labo the worlds most expensive cardboard cutouts. I guess for kids its interesting but for Pete sakes 70.00 for cardboard cutouts! Sorry but not worth it.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 20 2018, 05:10 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Apr 19 2018, 09:45 PM) *

I guess I need to talk about the Nintendo Labo the worlds most expensive cardboard cutouts. I guess for kids its interesting but for Pete sakes 70.00 for cardboard cutouts! Sorry but not worth it.

Wha?!! Khajiit has never heard of this. People actually buy these things?!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Apr 20 2018, 06:15 AM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 19 2018, 11:10 PM) *

Someone's going to.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 20 2018, 03:25 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Apr 20 2018, 12:15 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 19 2018, 11:10 PM) *

Someone's going to.

And people say Khajiit is crazy.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 3 2018, 03:29 AM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

I discovered a way to make G-Sync work with Skyrim. I have been testing it for the last few days, and so far so good. It runs much better than using a frame rate limiter like I was before. Hopefully it will keep the physics engine from going insane due to the higher frame rates. Like I said, so far it has been fine.

Turn off Vsync in your video card options.

In Skyrim.ini add the appropriate line for your video card's refresh rate:

[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.0333 is for 30fps
fMaxTime=0.0166 is for 60fps
fMaxTime=0.0133 is for 75fps
fMaxTime=0.0111 is for 90fps
fMaxTime=0.0083 is for 120fps
fMaxTime=0.0069 is for 144fps
fMaxTime=0.0042 is for 240fps+

Also in Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini add or edit the appropriate line to turn off V-Sync:

[Display]
iVSyncPresentInterval=0 for Special Edition
iPresentInterval=0 for Original edition

Since this works on Skyrim, there is every reason to believe it will work on Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4 as well. I have not tried it with them yet, but they all use the same game engine, just evolved with each generation of game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jun 3 2018, 06:24 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

I sold my New 2DSXL and bought a Vita to replace it. I don't know what happened to the DS unit but as soon as I changed routers it refused to connect to it but the Vita and PS4 connected right away. Besides I have pretty much every Ys game on the Vita.

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Jun 3 2018, 06:24 AM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 3 2018, 11:20 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 2 2018, 10:29 PM) *

I discovered a way to make G-Sync work with Skyrim. I have been testing it for the last few days, and so far so good. It runs much better than using a frame rate limiter like I was before. Hopefully it will keep the physics engine from going insane due to the higher frame rates. Like I said, so far it has been fine.

Turn off Vsync in your video card options.

In Skyrim.ini add the appropriate line for your video card's refresh rate:

[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.0333 is for 30fps
fMaxTime=0.0166 is for 60fps
fMaxTime=0.0133 is for 75fps
fMaxTime=0.0111 is for 90fps
fMaxTime=0.0083 is for 120fps
fMaxTime=0.0069 is for 144fps
fMaxTime=0.0042 is for 240fps+

Also in Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini add or edit the appropriate line to turn off V-Sync:

[Display]
iVSyncPresentInterval=0 for Special Edition
iPresentInterval=0 for Original edition

Since this works on Skyrim, there is every reason to believe it will work on Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4 as well. I have not tried it with them yet, but they all use the same game engine, just evolved with each generation of game.

I can now confirm that this does work on Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Oblivion. I just tried it on all three, and I get a steady fps of 62 in each game. The fMaxTime is not necessary for them. Just turn off V-Sync in the .ini files, and force it in the Nvidia Control Panel.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 17 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

I tried out an Oculus Rift at Best Buy today. I was concerned that it might not fit because of my glasses. But by pulling back the head band all they way I was able to get it on ok, without my glasses hitting the lenses.

I played a game called The Climb. It is basically rock climbing, pretty simple stuff. It was fun, and very neat how turning your head shows you different views. You have to reach out a lot as well, which took a while to get used to, but really makes the whole thing feel like an experience. It is very different from sitting in front of a regular computer screen with a keyboard and mouse.

However, I did find the two disembodied hands you see (your hands in the game) to be kind of creepy and disconcerting. All VR games seem to do that, just hands floating in the air with no arms or torso. The two hand controllers were a little difficult for me to use, because you cannot see any of the buttons on them. You have to do it all by feel.

It also took a lot of space. I had to stand back from the computer it was running on, probably so the sensors could detect all my head and hand movements. Plus you reach out a lot. Though I was standing still. I think some games have you actually walk around. I could never fit it in my apartment.

It also felt really gimmicky. It was fun, sure. But it did not feel like something I could do for hours on end without the initial thrill wearing off. It does not seem like something you could play a real game with. In short, it felt like a neat fad, like 3D movies. But not a long-term kind of thing.

Also, when I was done and took off the googles, my head had gotten really hot and sweaty. That was only after about 10 minutes of playing.

So fun to try, but I won't be buying one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 15 2020, 07:36 AM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

I installed the latest Nvidia drivers today. It has some new features. One is Max Frame Rate. It allows you to cap your frame rate at any value from 1 - 1000. I have been experimenting with using this with my Bethesda games, to cap the frame rates at 60, but also keep G-sync turned on. So far it is working ok.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:08 PM