Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The gun thread
SubRosa
post Jul 31 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #1181

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Jul 30 2018, 09:52 PM) *

I wouldn't mind finding this relic Webley Fosbury.

Wow, that is old school. I would just assume that anyone with that pistol was a British officer!

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 31 2018, 04:53 AM) *

I wouldn't mind switching to a .308 hunting rifle but the shop is two hours away and the license two months away so meh.

How to adjust iron sights

When I got my .22 levergun I didn't need to adjust windage at all, it was spot on. And elevation can be changed on the fly due to the buckhorn design smile.gif

I just did it the old-fashioned way. I took a shot, saw where it hit, and moved the sight over, until I was hitting the center.

I saw yesterday that there are these new-fangled laser pointers that are shaped as a cartridge. You load it in your gun the same as a regular round, and it shows you where it is going to hit. Then you just adjust your sight to match. Obviously you don't want to fire it. I saw a lot of people say you have to be really gentle with sliding the bolt home on it, because they are delicate. I think your mileage varies with the brands too. But it is a cool idea. You can sight in without firing a shot.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 31 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #1182

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 31 2018, 10:56 AM) *

Wow, that is old school. I would just assume that anyone with that pistol was a British officer!

Actually the Webley-Fosbery was a British Officer's revolver, it was also in the movie Zardoz with Sean Connery.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 1 2018, 08:41 AM
Post #1183

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 31 2018, 05:56 PM) *

I saw yesterday that there are these new-fangled laser pointers that are shaped as a cartridge. You load it in your gun the same as a regular round, and it shows you where it is going to hit. Then you just adjust your sight to match. Obviously you don't want to fire it. I saw a lot of people say you have to be really gentle with sliding the bolt home on it, because they are delicate. I think your mileage varies with the brands too. But it is a cool idea. You can sight in without firing a shot.

I saw these things many months ago too and yeah, pretty cool idea. Think they are spensive though.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 10 2018, 05:10 PM
Post #1184

Ancient
Group Icon

I took my .556 Sig Sauer out today, and I think I had my best day ever. That is 40 rounds in that pic. I shot 80 total. My shoulder only has a slight orange spot, where 80 rounds of .308 gave me a big red spot.

It felt a lot easier to shoot the lighter rounds too. I think going back to the 'normal' style of shooting with my left hand just in front of the action helped a lot. As opposed to the C-Clamp style I was trying before - with left arm fully extended and finger pointed at the target. My arm did not get nearly as tired the old way, and I think that is what gave me the better accuracy this time out. It was definitely a lot easier keeping it on the bullseye.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 10 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #1185

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 10 2018, 11:10 AM) *

I took my .556 Sig Sauer out today, and I think I had my best day ever. That is 40 rounds in that pic. I shot 80 total. My shoulder only has a slight orange spot, where 80 rounds of .308 gave me a big red spot.

It felt a lot easier to shoot the lighter rounds too. I think going back to the 'normal' style of shooting with my left hand just in front of the action helped a lot. As opposed to the C-Clamp style I was trying before - with left arm fully extended and finger pointed at the target. My arm did not get nearly as tired the old way, and I think that is what gave me the better accuracy this time out. It was definitely a lot easier keeping it on the bullseye.

Seems like a really inefficient way to make one big hole. tongue.gif

Khajiit only joking, nice shooting!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 10 2018, 07:20 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 16 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #1186

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I don't think I could shoot well if I had my left hand right in front of the action. I need it further out so I can pull the gun harder towards my shoulder and stabilize it, be it a .30-06 or a .22LR. But to each their own, the important thing is to get snassy groupings such as that biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 16 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #1187

Ancient
Group Icon

I meant this shooting stance, which I think is pretty standard. With my Sig, I don't really have many options, since the handguard only goes halfway up the barrel (like the one that guy has in that pic). Though now that I look for pictures, I am seeing a lot of others. One with people holding the front of the magazine with their left hand, instead of gripping the barrel.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 19 2018, 02:29 PM
Post #1188

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 16 2018, 11:04 PM) *

I meant this shooting stance, which I think is pretty standard. With my Sig, I don't really have many options, since the handguard only goes halfway up the barrel (like the one that guy has in that pic).

Yeah, I see what you mean. The handguard on my gun goes further out, but that stance looks pretty good. Also, you appear a bit more masculine than I thought you'd be, Rosa... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 1 2018, 01:32 AM
Post #1189

Ancient
Group Icon

I guess I shouldn't have taken those Low-T pills someone gave me at the party!

I had a disappointing day at the range today. I took my .308 back, and tried it for the first time using the regular shooting stance I talked about previously you know, this one. Instead of the C-Clamp style I was using with it before.

I was definitely more accurate, and my arms did not get nearly as tired. But I found I was hitting to the left, so I tried to tweak my Vortex optic over a bit to the right. My next shot was about a foot and a half left. blink.gif So I tweaked it more to the right, and again, next shot was way left. Rinse and repeat two more times.

Then the reticle just vanished. I thought the battery was dead until I looked through it from an extreme angle. There the reticle was, way up and to the right now. I tried turning it over left a little bit, and then it would be way up and left. Mind you I never changed the up or down position once. No matter what I did, it was always way up to the right or way up left. It just went crazy. Since it was useless, I just turned it off.

Iron sights never lose their battery power, or just go wonky. So I spent my last 21 bullets shooting with iron. About half way through I realized I was pulling to the right. But I never did manage to correct that.

I don't know what is wrong with the Vortex. This is only the third time I have ever used it. So it's hard to believe the battery is going already. I have had my Eotech for a year and half, and gone shooting with it well over a dozen times and never had any problems with it. I think I'll just rip the Vortex off and shoot iron sights with the .308 for the near future. Maybe I'll buy a new Eotech for it. Or one of those scopes that switch between a regular x4 or x6 to a red dot. I just don't trust the Vortex anymore.

I did 80 rounds, so now I have a huge bruise across my shoulder from firing it. Damn that .308 kicks! The 5.56 is a lot more comfortable to shoot. My last time shooting it I also did 80 rounds, and it only gave me a little red spot on my shoulder, that was gone the next day.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 1 2018, 02:41 AM
Post #1190

Ancient
Group Icon

5 things I learned at the gun range.

Now I need to call my 5.56 Frederick Douglas, because it's all black...

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 2 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #1191

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 1 2018, 02:32 AM) *

Iron sights never lose their battery power, or just go wonky.

That's why I don't want to use red dots and the like. I bet they're good but I think they're too unreliable. I used to use a scope but since I now shoot at a closer range than before (I hunt in the backyard now tongue.gif ) I took it off and just go with iron sights. But I only did that because they are so refined on my Browning smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #1192

Ancient
Group Icon

You can always count of iron. That is why I bought the flip up front and rear sights once I realized that the Daniel (or should I call it Beyonce, since it's all black?) didn't come with any.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 22 2018, 02:28 AM
Post #1193

Master
Group Icon

Only guns I have right now are non-lethal Nerf Blasters...but they're cool as one has a mode selector.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 29 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #1194

Master
Group Icon

Two more days till Gunday!!! What will I buy?
.357 Revolver.
Kel-Tec 9MM/w 50 Round Drum.
.357 Magnum Derringer.
.44 Magnum Revolver.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 30 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #1195

Spam Meister
Group Icon

When hesitating; buy them all! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 30 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #1196

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 30 2018, 08:57 AM) *

When hesitating; buy them all! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

If I had that kind of monies I would in a heartbeat laugh.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 30 2018, 03:05 PM
Post #1197

Spam Meister
Group Icon

If I had that kind of opportunities I would too tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 30 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #1198

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 30 2018, 09:05 AM) *

If I had that kind of opportunities I would too tongue.gif

I'm tempted on getting a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk again. If you want to know what a S&W 500 feels like look no further. I'll either get that or a good .357 Revolver or Derringer.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 1 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #1199

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I'd settle for a regular Ruger Blackhawk. Hickok showcased one and it looked nice smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Oct 1 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #1200

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 1 2018, 09:40 AM) *

I'd settle for a regular Ruger Blackhawk. Hickok showcased one and it looked nice smile.gif

I had a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, shot great but kicked like mule also shooting it will be like shooting a S&W 500. You can shoot a SBH you can shoot a 500.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post

78 Pages V « < 58 59 60 61 62 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:23 AM