Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout 3 Vs. Fallout: New Vegas, Comparisons and Debates...
Diamandis
post Jun 5 2013, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Finder
Group Icon

Woo! Another Fallout thread! Sorry guys indifferent.gif

Buuuuuut, on a few fallout related threads I've seen people make comparisons about both games; what people think one does better or what one does a lot worse.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where our opinions could be put tidily in one handy place smile.gif

For me, three of my preferences:

I love the way NV does Companions compared to 3. Not only does the companion wheel make things a lot easier, but it is actually fun travelling with a companion. They actually have things to say, back story wise and you feel like you are travelling with a friend In a way. In 3 they are kinda just there. I find it hard to connect with the companions as they are so one dimensional.

Also, prefer the Star Cap hunt in NV compared to the Nuka Cola challenge (sorry mirocu tongue.gif). I just find it more of a challenge finding the caps as the Quantums in 3 seem to easy to find.

BUT one thig 3 does have the edge on over NV are player housing. Bethesda have always done a great job with what their player housing has to offer, and Fallout 3 is no exception. In NV the player houses (if you can call them that) just never feel like home. They seem bland.

--------------------
Fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a vrey srtnage mnid, wchih si good bceasue I od ot :D
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 5 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #2

Spam Meister
Group Icon

As NV is Steam dependent I will never play it so I canīt really give a fair opinion about it. But from what Iīve seen of it on youtube it looks awesome! And I agree on the companion stuff, looks much more vibrant and alive in NV and thatīs the main thing Iīve been missing in FO3. Iīd like to interact more with NPCs and in FO3 itīs hard to do that once the quest or whatever is finished.

While the weapons fail hard sometimes in FO3 (Iīm looking at you, "minigun"!) I like the setting and think the Capital Wasteland should look just like that. However, before I knew NV required Steam I was gonna get that. I mean, who doesnīt like western themes in games?? biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Eva @ Jun 5 2013, 12:42 PM) *

Also, prefer the Star Cap hunt in NV compared to the Nuka Cola challenge (sorry mirocu tongue.gif).

Hey! nono.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jun 5 2013, 05:03 PM
Post #3

Finder
Group Icon

I too prefer Fallout 3. I think it displays Bethesda's most accomplished, professional writing to date. I loved the environment. I thought most of the characters and stories were memorable. I've actually been itching to play it again recently. I think I will, as soon as I finish my current Skyrim character.

I didn't 'connect' with New Vegas at all. I don't like desert environments so that was a huge turn-off for me. I also didn't connect with the whole quasi-Hollywood-style, pseudo-wild west vibe Obsidian seemed to be aiming at. It felt cheesy to me. Also the stories and characters in New Vegas did not engage my imagination as much as the stories and characters in Fallout 3.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Jun 5 2013, 05:05 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 5 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

I think FONV did the crafting much better than FO3. Being able to recycle used energy ammo, or convert them to different types made playing an energy weapon wielder a lot more viable than it is in FO3. It got more complicated than I liked crafting the regular ammo though. I preferred FO3's very simple ammo press from The Pitt. I just wish there was a press in Megaton...

FONV's main quest certainly gives you a lot more options than the FO3 mq, in the way you can try to recruit varying factions for the upcoming war. Though it still boils down to Legion vs. NCR in the end. But I am not really very interested in doing the main quests in Bethesda's games anway, so this does not really count for much for me. Ironically I have done the FO3 main quest twice now. I never had any desire to do any of the FONV main quest. I could just care less for the Legion or the NCR.

When it comes to radios, FO3 wins hands down for me. I love Three Dog, and hearing him relate my wasteland adventures to the rest of the world. Mr. Vegas just felt flat and dull to me.

When it comes to locations to explore, FO3 also wins hands down for me again. Half of the FONV map is blocked off and empty, with just a strip of places going down the center of the square. FO3 just feels so much bigger, with more to find and more to do. That of course is what I play open world games for, the joy of simple exploration.

The Bugs were definitely much worse in FONV. Even though I played the game years after it was supposedly patched, I still ran into lots of weird glitches, like animals being three-quarters underground. I could not shoot them, but they could still harm me. Or Scorpions that walked around doing handstands. Or a game-breaking bug I found with the quest for the vault overrrun with plants, that I only escaped from by using the console. The only issue I have ever had with FO3 was the occasional CTD for no apparent reason, which was fixed with a simple .ini tweak that made it play nice with my multi-core cpu.

All in all I vastly prefer FO3.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 5 2013, 05:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Diamandis
post Jun 5 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #5

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 5 2013, 12:10 PM) *

As NV is Steam dependent I will never play it so I canīt really give a fair opinion about it. But from what Iīve seen of it on youtube it looks awesome! And I agree on the companion stuff, looks much more vibrant and alive in NV and thatīs the main thing Iīve been missing in FO3. Iīd like to interact more with NPCs and in FO3 itīs hard to do that once the quest or whatever is finished.

While the weapons fail hard sometimes in FO3 (Iīm looking at you, "minigun"!) I like the setting and think the Capital Wasteland should look just like that. However, before I knew NV required Steam I was gonna get that. I mean, who doesnīt like western themes in games?? biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Eva @ Jun 5 2013, 12:42 PM) *

Also, prefer the Star Cap hunt in NV compared to the Nuka Cola challenge (sorry mirocu tongue.gif).

Hey! nono.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh that's such a shame! I feel NV is a different experience to FO3 in many ways (hence the thread). It's a shame you can;t experience it sad.gif

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 5 2013, 05:03 PM) *

I too prefer Fallout 3. I think it displays Bethesda's most accomplished, professional writing to date. I loved the environment. I thought most of the characters and stories were memorable. I've actually been itching to play it again recently. I think I will, as soon as I finish my current Skyrim character.

I didn't 'connect' with New Vegas at all. I don't like desert environments so that was a huge turn-off for me. I also didn't connect with the whole quasi-Hollywood-style, pseudo-wild west vibe Obsidian seemed to be aiming at. It felt cheesy to me. Also the stories and characters in New Vegas did not engage my imagination as much as the stories and characters in Fallout 3.

Ahh see I agree with your thoughts, but I preferred the story of NV. For me, it's lack of depth worked as a benefit for me. It allowed me to create my own depth to the story haha

--

Another comparison.

Now this is a plus and a minus but i Like and dislike the choice of ammo + weapons in both FO3 and NV.

Sometimes I prefer the almost simple choice in FO3 compared to NV more complex, wide variety... but also vice versa.

When it comes to radios, FO3 wins hands down for me. I love Three Dog, and hearing him relate my wasteland adventures to the rest of the world. Mr. Vegas just felt flat and dull to me.

Agreed.

This post has been edited by Eva: Jun 5 2013, 05:42 PM

--------------------
Fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a vrey srtnage mnid, wchih si good bceasue I od ot :D
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jun 5 2013, 09:11 PM
Post #6

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I preferred the story in New Vegas because at the end it detailed more about the individual things that you'd done. There were many more options that had an effect on the ending.

I did enjoy that the interiors had more depth in FO3 because you'd enter and explore for 20 minutes vs NV's walk in, look around, leave in 5 minutes for most interiors.

I also enjoyed the depth of the weapons in NV much more. It was more realistic with multiple specialized ammunition types suited for different situations. As a firearm owner, I appreciate that the weapons handle more realistically and that you can actually look down the weapon's sights in NV.

Then there's the companion system in NV, it has more depth and allows companions to be much more useful than they were in FO3. The crafting system is similar, I only wish they'd let you craft actual weapons in NV like they did in FO3.

They were both amazing games but I have a strong preference for NV in most of the game mechanics. Both games had fun and interesting DLC as well as stories.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jun 5 2013, 11:59 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

I prefer FO3 mostly because I like the environment better. I liked the weapon mods and aiming in FONV better, but the game was really glitchy, I thought the landscape was boring, and the main quest for me was less memorable and fun.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 6 2013, 10:50 AM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 5 2013, 06:40 PM) *

When it comes to locations to explore, FO3 also wins hands down for me again. Half of the FONV map is blocked off and empty, with just a strip of places going down the center of the square. FO3 just feels so much bigger, with more to find and more to do. That of course is what I play open world games for, the joy of simple exploration.

As a fellow explorer, this is a big thing for me and not being able to fully explore the map as I please is a huge, HUGE letdown and something I canīt accept. I didnīt mention it because I had forgotten about it, but this also made me get FO3 instead of NV. But I think I forgot the main thing why I even approached the Fallout franschise; an awesome lets play on youtube! Loved the game and the mechanics right away so I would have gotten FO3 anyway, but hadnīt it been for Steam I would have gotten NV as well.

Money stays in the pocket wink.gif

Scorpions that walked around doing handstands.

That is so fun to see! rollinglaugh.gif

The only issue I have ever had with FO3 was the occasional CTD for no apparent reason, which was fixed with a simple .ini tweak that made it play nice with my multi-core cpu.

I had to make that change too but I still get the CTD once in awhile. Not so often but itīs a major pain if I havenīt saved in awhile when it does happen dry.gif

Edit: Main reason to get NV: companion Willow. Sheīs just... wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
Needless to say sheīs not a ghoul like in FO3 tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Jun 6 2013, 12:01 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 6 2013, 01:31 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

I think Fallout 3 is my fave...But that doesn't mean I didn't love, and put a goodly amount of hours into New Vegas...

I prefer wandering the Wasteland, and prefer the locations to explore...

But New Vegas has some of the cooler characters...Even from the start, Doc Mitchell is a blast, and I hate the fact that he's barely used after that...

Anyways...

I actually prefer the post-Dead Money BoS bunker house in New Vegas to the Megaton one...Just feels better...

There are many things that I don't like about both games, but I think the list is longer for New Vegas...Biggest minus being the fact that I can't do the MQ because it stops the game...I know that Fo3 was like that before Broken Steel, but at least I can still do stuff with the same character...There's no point finishing off a character that I've spent 100+ hours building up...

I love both games, but for me, Fallout 3 feels like the better game...

Although ED-E is a constant in NV, and that BoS bint (whose name I've currently forgotten) was an excellent laugh when I did the whole BoS thing, I've never used the other companions so I can't compare the two on that score...

I do love the Brotherhood of Steel in the two games...Do like me a good Knightly order... biggrin.gif ...Not sure if anyone's noticed or not... tongue.gif ...

Aaamywho...

Yeah, Fo3...Top game...

New Vegas...Not far behind though...

EDIT...PS...I really should have waited before answering this...My brain is obviously still work-addled...Apologies... laugh.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jun 6 2013, 01:33 PM
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jun 7 2013, 12:10 AM
Post #10

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 6 2013, 02:50 AM) *

I forgot the main thing why I even approached the Fallout franschise; an awesome lets play on youtube!

It's funny you should mention that. I had no interest in Fallout 3 for years. But a Youtube video by SubRosa changed my mind.

I said something in the Oblivion forums about how I'd never bought Fallout 3 because I didn't like guns. And SubRosa responded with am awesome video of one of her characters kicking ass with a sword. I was astounded. I bought Fallout 3 because of that video. And I'm glad I did. So: thank you SubRosa!

This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwN1RKvA57E

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Jun 7 2013, 12:11 AM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 7 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #11

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Iīve seen that video too but a long time after I was hooked wink.gif And a funny note; you liked FO3 because you could use melee weapons Pseron, but I have never touched those weapons here as I get enough of that in Oblivion. Iīm just in it for the guns biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

And the exploration... and the collecting of all things Nuka... and the exploration hehe.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 7 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

Now that was a blast from the past Wyrd! Tomoe was a such a fun character to play. The slightly unhinged ones usually are. (she was convinced that she was the RL Tomoe Gozen from medieval Japan...).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 7 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #13

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Hey, Sub. Youīre a modder, canīt you somehow get the companion Willow from NV over to FO3? It is a mod already but not made for the game I play.

Why I want her in my game? Well, I think she... would..... contribute alot to.... the gameplay. What? Do I think she looks pretty? Ooh, noooo itīs not anything like that, I swear.

hehe.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 7 2013, 05:23 PM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 7 2013, 12:09 PM) *

Hey, Sub. Youīre a modder, canīt you somehow get the companion Willow from NV over to FO3? It is a mod already but not made for the game I play.

Why I want her in my game? Well, I think she... would..... contribute alot to.... the gameplay. What? Do I think she looks pretty? Ooh, noooo itīs not anything like that, I swear.

hehe.gif

I just took a look at her on the Nexus, and that would be a huge amount of work. She's no ordinary companion whose face I could just copy and paste between GECKs. She has unique dialogue, a unique race, new quests, what looks like a custom hair style, etc...

Ask the original mod maker if they will port it. They might do it. I have seen many mods ported between FO3 and NV.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jun 7 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #15

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 7 2013, 04:43 AM) *

you liked FO3 because you could use melee weapons Pseron, but I have never touched those weapons here as I get enough of that in Oblivion. Iīm just in it for the guns

It's odd. Once I started playing the game I discovered that I really didn't dislike guns as much as I thought I did, lol. In fact, after only a few hours in the game my character was gunning down everything in sight. She became a menace to the entire Wasteland. Nobody was safe.

I play in third person, so animations play a big part in how I respond to games. If I don't like a game's animations it may ruin a game for me. And I discovered I liked Fallout's reloading animations. That was what turned my attitude around. Even if she didn't need to do it, I'd have her reload immediately after a fight, just because it looked so badass. And then I was hooked.

I sent my character into Operation Anchorage right away, specifically to get Jingwei's Shocksword. But the dang thing ended up unused in her inventory 90% of the time while she mowed Raiders and Mirelurks down with Combat Shotguns and Sniper Rifles. *sigh*

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Jun 7 2013, 06:28 PM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 9 2013, 04:37 PM
Post #16

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 7 2013, 07:27 PM) *

Even if she didn't need to do it, I'd have her reload immediately after a fight, just because it looked so badass.

Heh! Iīve been reloading right after a fight since forever, but with good reason. You see I hate thinking the fight is over, taking a few steps and getting ambushed by a new foe, only to discover that I could have used those five extra bullets I would have had if I had just reloaded immediately!

Never walk around without a full mag. Ever nono.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jun 10 2013, 02:30 AM
Post #17

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 9 2013, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 7 2013, 07:27 PM) *

Even if she didn't need to do it, I'd have her reload immediately after a fight, just because it looked so badass.

Heh! Iīve been reloading right after a fight since forever, but with good reason. You see I hate thinking the fight is over, taking a few steps and getting ambushed by a new foe, only to discover that I could have used those five extra bullets I would have had if I had just reloaded immediately!

Never walk around without a full mag. Ever nono.gif

The military teaches to swap mags after every firefight for that reason. For most of us, firefights aren't something we'll have to contend with in reality (luckily!) but it is good advice in any shooting game to reload often as well.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jun 10 2013, 06:25 AM
Post #18

Finder
Group Icon

I admit it, I know nothing about guns. I know quite a bit about blades and bows, having grown up with them, but I know zippo about guns (aside from BB and pellet guns).
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jun 11 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #19

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 10 2013, 05:25 AM) *

I admit it, I know nothing about guns. I know quite a bit about blades and bows, having grown up with them, but I know zippo about guns (aside from BB and pellet guns).

They're extremely dangerous in the wrong hands or if they're improperly handled but aren't dangerous at all in the hands of responsible owners.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jun 11 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #20

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Jun 11 2013, 12:36 PM) *

They're extremely dangerous in the wrong hands or if they're improperly handled but aren't dangerous at all in the hands of responsible owners.

Yes, I suppose that's true. I've done a lot of woodworking and general construction with power tools over the years. And I know that power tools are extremely dangerous in the hands of someone who is not trained in their use, but remarkably safe in the hands of someone who has been trained to use them properly. I imagine it's the same with guns.

I actually grew up around guns, living in a rural area of northern Illinois, I just never had occasion to use one myself. It seemed like every truck in the county had a gun rack. But for some reason my parents never owned a gun. They had all kinds of bows - they even gave me my own child's bow for my eighth birthday - but no guns. But they were all around us. During hunting season we could hear guns going off in the distance. On the way to the grocery store we'd pass trucks with deer on the hoods.

I lived a strange childhood. smile.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:45 PM