14 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas
mirocu
post Apr 16 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #1

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Suggestions, recommendations, comments, discussions... Anything as long as it involves mods for the Fallout games.

{Moderator note: With the addition of a FO4 mods thread, let's now limit this one to FO3 and NV mods.}

These are the mods I use for Fallout 3:

*Gunny (companion)
*The Vulcan minigun (and an additional mod that changes the rate of fire)
*Lucy as companion (though she has disappeared from the game now, should I take a hint...? wink.gif )
*Rideable subway trains (love this one!!)
*Immortal travelling merchants
*Custom icons for some miscellaneous items in the Pip-Boy
*Auto Aim Fix
*FOMM
*New crosshair
*No Goo piles
*More damage from the sawed-off shotgun
*Merchant selling goods from Point Lookout
*Scopeless .44 Magnums

I must have more but these are the ones I can remember. I'll add the rest when I get home and can check the list.

Out of these I enjoy the icon mod and the Gunny mod the most. The subway train mod is awesome and I love it, but since I mostly run around in the wasteland I don't get around to using it so much. It definitely adds to the atmosphere though and I strongly recommend it, and for the best effect it should be played in a pitch black room at night smile.gif

Edit: After reading Rosa's post I have added a couple to the list. Can't believe I forgot about Auto Aim Fix! blink.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Aug 11 2019, 03:04 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 16 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Now this is a great idea for a topic of its own. I never used to have a lot of FO3 mods. But I have added a lot lately.

Fallout Mod Manager is of course the first one, OBMM's twin for FO3 and FONV.

Fellout - Removes the green tint on everything in the game, and makes the colors normal again. I modded this heavily to make the nights brighter, and just tweak how I want things. You can get it here on Dropbox.

Pitt Gal Stats - Replaces the pipboy with a pipgirl.

Children of the Wasteland - Makes children playable.

Shojo Race - Adds an anime inspired child race.

Custom Race Endings Broken Steel OverRide - Fixes a bug with using custom races in Broken Steel (after finishing the main quest).

Hair Pack - Corean and Ren's Hair from Oblivion, ported to FO3.

Mystyks Faces - Adds some new savegames with character faces, and HD face textures.

Auto Aim Fix - Disables the auto aim, and stops bullets from rising after 30 meters.

KT's Center Camera - Centers the camera.

Arwen XPR - Extreme - Reduces the experiences points you get. I further modded it so that it gives even less xp.

CRAFT - Allows you to use multiple mods that mod the workbenches.

CRAFT Energy Ammo - Allows you to create energy ammo at workbenches. I modded it to streamline the requirements down to a fission battery. I also used it as a template to make a mod that allows you to craft firearm ammo out of scrap metal.

T3T Misc Item Icons - adds more pics in the pipboy for stuff.

Karma Revamp Mod - Makes it a lot harder to change your karma level.

Lucky Hacking - Makes hacking terminals less brain work by displaying only 5 words you have to pick from to hack a computer.

dB No Screen Blood - An option from Enhanced Blood Textures, turns off the blood on the screen.

Blanket - Gives you blankets so you can sleep anywhere.

SariD's Pose Pack - For screenshots.

Scopeless 44s - Takes those scopes off the .44 Magnums. Dirty Harry didn't need a telescopic sight for his Magnum, neither do I.

Some Katanas - For my samurai characters.

Gauss DX - A bunch of fixes and new textures to the gauss rifle.

Crosshair Toggle - Lets you hotkey the crosshair on and off, as well as set the game to automatically hide it when you sheath your weapon.

Logoless Talon Armor - A suit of black combat armor. What is not to like?

Outcast Recon Armor - A suit of red and black recon armor.

Babe Recon Armor - A suit of black recon armor. I modded it to remove the mesh it came with, as it had ridiculously skinny arms. Instead I set it to use the default recon armor mesh.

Ranger Helmet Texture Unlocker - Fixes an issue with the Reilly's Ranger Helmet using the default combat armor helmet texture.

M110 Sniper Rifle - Adds a RL M110 sniper rifle.

Millenia Arms - Colt M4A1 - Adds an M4 carbine. I modded it to make the Grunt Perk from Honest Hearts work with it. I also tweaked the stats to reduce the spread, and match the same damage as the Marksman Carbine.

Higher Quality AntAgonizer Costume - An HD texture replacer for Anty's outfit.

Dogmeat Husky - A husky retexture for Dogmeat.

MZ Samurai and combat female armor replacers - Makes the combat armor and samurai armor a bit more curvier, without being chainmail bikinis.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 11 2016, 09:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 17 2015, 05:01 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

I haven't modded my FO3 game much yet, I made some dinners and filled drink glasses and coffee mugs; those two Megaton house mods; and plan to add some sitting area and a BBQ to the porch at Tenpenny.

I tried two of the Mystyks faces, but Asian Misa is from a save called Vaill.

So far that is all I've got installed, but did download (but haven't installed) Ling's Coiffures and a beauty mod - can't remember the name.

I saw a few things in the above lists that I'm dying to try:

Rideable Subway
Fellout
Children of the Wasteland
KT's Center Camera
SariD's Pose Pack

Hopefully, will eventually be adding these, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 17 2015, 07:49 AM
Post #4

Spam Meister
Group Icon

The scopeless revolver mod was interesting, SubRosa. I´ll definitely add that one smile.gif

But I better stay off the anime mod. I may have trouble focusing on the game if I added that... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Apr 17 2015, 07:51 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Apr 19 2015, 02:53 AM
Post #5

Knower
Group Icon

A dogmeat husky!! Noooo!!!!

All Australian gamers are breaking their hearts over that one. Mad Max and his blue-heeler cattle dog must be a part of Fallout 3. Isn't the husky mostly used in cooler climates? Surely that doesn't quite fit the wasteland feel of Fallout.

Flying dogmeat

The mods I use are mostly ones simple ones-

Dockside Inn
4-5 house mods
All Out Summoner mod
Bittercup Companion
Real named drugs
Essential companion and merchants
A trail of crumbs quest (good for an excuse to enter those unused buildings)
Functional vending machines
Miniguns rebalance
Usable cigarettes
Scope on hunting rifles
Alternating timescale
Interior cells reset
Better food
Better regulator duster
Killable children
Better looking Moira
Lower barter rate
Vanishing goo piles
Higher vehicle health
Follower- Willow
Gas mask
All weapons rebalance

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Apr 19 2015, 03:16 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 19 2015, 04:07 AM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Apr 18 2015, 09:53 PM) *

A dogmeat husky!! Noooo!!!!

All Australian gamers are breaking their hearts over that one. Mad Max and his blue-heeler cattle dog must be a part of Fallout 3. Isn't the husky mostly used in cooler climates? Surely that doesn't quite fit the wasteland feel of Fallout.

Flying dogmeat

D'AWWWW !!! How adorable and sweet!

I finished up the Arefu quest and was scouting around for more Bobbleheads when I suddenly got attacked by a bunch of guys in dusters; and then got bad Karma for killing them! Well, it turns out my trip to the Merseti Station put my Karma into the evil zone, and suddenly the Talon Company was no longer trying to kill me - the regulators were !!! I've never had them after me before, it was awful - and to get bad karma for someone who is trying to kill me - no way !!!

So I donated a couple thousand caps to St. Monica's church in Rivet City, and now the Wasteland is in balance again. Talon Company is attacking me again, and the wastelanders in Megaton are bringing me gifts, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Apr 19 2015, 04:08 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 19 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #7

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Wasn´t that pic adorable?? laugh.gif

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 19 2015, 05:07 AM) *

to get bad karma for someone who is trying to kill me - no way !!!

My country in a nutshell wink.gif

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 19 2015, 05:07 AM) *

So I donated a couple thousand caps to St. Monica's church in Rivet City, and now the Wasteland is in balance again. Talon Company is attacking me again, and the wastelanders in Megaton are bringing me gifts, lol.

So now you´re using the Wasteland Balance Restored mod? tongue.gif

Added a few mods to my list that had slipped my mind. They blend in too well but that´s the kind of mods I like!

This post has been edited by mirocu: Apr 19 2015, 08:01 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Apr 19 2015, 09:18 AM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks folks! My best mate when I was at school had a 'red heeler,' and man, that was simply the coolest dog ever. They are really quiet too, and almost never bark. His dog would just give the occasional whine if it wanted something. You could see in its eyes just how intelligent it was, and like many dogs, had limitless energy.

Back on topic-
Have you guys ever played around with realistic damage mods for Fallout? I used one several years ago that scaled the damage up so that a head shot was instant death and one bullet to the body made you lose around 75% of your health. The follow up bullet would always be lights over for your character.

I only used the mod for a few days, but wow, it was so realistic! The battles were the most intense gun play I have ever had in a computer game. I disabled the mod as it didn't really suit the build I was using but have just remembered I need to go back and give it another go.

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Apr 19 2015, 09:25 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 19 2015, 09:46 AM
Post #9

Spam Meister
Group Icon

It´s the same with that mod as with photo realistic graphics; no but no thanks tongue.gif

Could make for some intense fire fights to bring back the feeling I had when I was new to the game, but I much rather continue running around without the need for precautions laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 19 2015, 11:43 PM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

@ Winter Wolf - That mod sounds a little too tough for gaming simply because you'd never get to play for dying - where would the fun be in it?

I like to believe the radiation accumulated through the centuries has had the effect of mutating our genetic makeup so to a certain extent we regenerate or are harder to kill than a person in today's world is. A gun may kill us very quickly in today's world, but we don't have 200 years worth of radiation in our genes. That has to have had some effect on our ability to survive.

So we didn't get as much as the Ghouls or Super Mutants, but we did get a bunch still - so have to look at what effects that would cause.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 19 2015, 03:00 AM) *

So now you´re using the Wasteland Balance Restored mod? tongue.gif

Added a few mods to my list that had slipped my mind. They blend in too well but that´s the kind of mods I like!

laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 20 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #11

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Just tried out the merchant on the docks and the scopeless Magnum and so far so good. It works as it should and I´m happy and in a few months time I won´t even notice they´re mods which is how I want it smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Apr 21 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

The realistic damage mod was interesting because the gun fights were so evenly matched. They could kill you in 2 bullets but you could also wipe them out just as quick. The advantage the gamer had was VATS, because if you were quick on the draw you could nearly always get the first shot. The advantage the opponent had was strength in numbers. 4 raiders onto 1 made things quite interesting.

Boulders, wall cover, posts etc became so much more a part of the game as the shoot-outs were so real, which I really liked. I have no idea what deathclaws and scorps were like, I never used the mod long enough to find that out. Lol.

The mod was great in the short term, but, as you guys have said, I am still doubtful myself in the long term.

Maybe next year. Oh no that's for NV and Skyrim. Okay, the year after. No, that's for FO4.

Damn it....there is no time!

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Apr 21 2015, 12:10 PM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 21 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Apr 21 2015, 07:08 AM) *

The realistic damage mod was interesting because the gun fights were so evenly matched. They could kill you in 2 bullets but you could also wipe them out just as quick. The advantage the gamer had was VATS, because if you were quick on the draw you could nearly always get the first shot. The advantage the opponent had was strength in numbers. 4 raiders onto 1 made things quite interesting.

Boulders, wall cover, posts etc became so much more a part of the game as the shoot-outs were so real, which I really liked. I have no idea what deathclaws and scorps were like, I never used the mod long enough to find that out. Lol.

The mod was great in the short term, but, as you guys have said, I am still doubtful myself in the long term.

Maybe next year. Oh no that's for NV and Skyrim. Okay, the year after. No, that's for FO4.

Damn it....there is no time!

What I noticed about Fallout games: in the early game the enemy seems to be able to hit the Player around corners/through steel barriers and glass/etc. - but the Player's aim seems to miss them even in dead on and clear shots.

Then when the Player gets some skill raises and perks, it finally balances out correctly. Then after that the game begins to feel unbalanced again but this time it is the Player - like suddenly he is overpowered and Uber.

On the 360 there was no way to combat that except by Gameplay settings. At least on the PC game the Player can balance out the game early on; and then set everything back down some when the Player starts feeling overpowered.

The nice thing about the way Oblivion was done was that when the Player was at a low level, so were the enemies they faced; so as the player gained skills the enemies grew tougher - the game was always a fine balance. Some enemies were always well tougher than the player; but even the easier enemies gained in toughness to beat as the player became a tougher opponent.

The game never was too easy that way. (although I have gone in and set some of the enemies to be several levels higher than they were set).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Apr 24 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

Yes, you are spot on there with your observations.

Out of the last four games the best by far (IMO) are Oblivion and FO3. I have no problem with the leveling of either game and can quite easily modify my play style to suit things. Even on Fallout (360) I can use some hardcore survival rules to keep things interesting after level 10, rules that actually suit the post apocalyptic setting of the game world.

I dislike Fallout NV and Skyrim by far. Fallout because I walk around for hours with nothing happening and then, bang, I suddenly have 12 creatures attacking me from all directions. I never feel that any level that the character is at means anything at all in the game. Leveling up is actually pointless.

Skyrim annoys me because I always feel the game is designed to be played with a follower alongside you, and the difficulty never feels quite right. It is either too easy or too hard.

Amazing that people complained so much about Oblivion and thereby forced Bethesda's hand.

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 24 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Apr 24 2015, 05:04 AM) *

Yes, you are spot on there with your observations.

Out of the last four games the best by far (IMO) are Oblivion and FO3. I have no problem with the leveling of either game and can quite easily modify my play style to suit things. Even on Fallout (360) I can use some hardcore survival rules to keep things interesting after level 10, rules that actually suit the post apocalyptic setting of the game world.

I dislike Fallout NV and Skyrim by far. Fallout because I walk around for hours with nothing happening and then, bang, I suddenly have 12 creatures attacking me from all directions. I never feel that any level that the character is at means anything at all in the game. Leveling up is actually pointless.

Skyrim annoys me because I always feel the game is designed to be played with a follower alongside you, and the difficulty never feels quite right. It is either too easy or too hard.

Amazing that people complained so much about Oblivion and thereby forced Bethesda's hand.

Yeah, I think that complaining about Oblivion fell under the heading of "complaining to be complaining." I actually loved New Vegas, but couldn't travel in the Mojave till I was several levels up without having "The Day of 1000 Deaths" play out.

Before medium levels I didn't dare face a Deathclaw or giant radscorpion. And those Cadzoras!

Now, SubRosa taught me something about the Cadzoras I didn't know, I'm planning to test out her knowledge if I ever stop playing FO3 and try NV on the PC - haven't ever played NV on the PC yet!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Apr 25 2015, 02:33 AM
Post #16

Knower
Group Icon

Ahh, Cadzoras and Nightstalkers, I have lost count of the annoying battles I have had there. Both are not fun for a low level character.

Tips regarding Cadzoras? Do tell.

I just reload and head another direction or lower the setting and get revenge.

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 25 2015, 02:43 AM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Apr 24 2015, 09:33 PM) *

Ahh, Cadzoras and Nightstalkers, I have lost count of the annoying battles I have had there. Both are not fun for a low level character.

Tips regarding Cadzoras? Do tell.

I just reload and head another direction or lower the setting and get revenge.

That is exactly how I've been handling it too, but SubRosa said the reason they kill you so easily is that they have poison; and there are things in game that provide poison resistance; potions or perks, or articles of armor or clothing, etc.

For me, they are impossible to kill even one without dying, and they never attack just one at a time. So I have done just what you did until I get high enough to get that Anti-Material rifle with incendiary bullets; then I attacked them from a long ways away by just hitting them in Vats and backing out without shooting. It sets them on fire without alerting them to your presence.

That was on the 360, so it was the closest thing to a cheat I could find, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 25 2015, 02:45 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

I wish I could remember what that tip about cazadors was too! laugh.gif It might have been to use automatic weapons. My most recent FONV character Annie Ley Oak did not have too much trouble with cazadors, and she used a Colt M4 Carbine (a mod, hmmm, how come that isn't in my list. Here it is, Millenia Arms - Colt M4A1). Or the tip could have been to use high explosives, like grenades or dynamite.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 25 2015, 02:48 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 25 2015, 03:06 AM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 24 2015, 09:45 PM) *

I wish I could remember what that tip about cazadors was too! laugh.gif It might have been to use automatic weapons. My most recent FONV character Annie Ley Oak did not have too much trouble with cazadors, and she used a Colt M4 Carbine (a mod, hmmm, how come that isn't in my list. Here it is, Millenia Arms - Colt M4A1). Or the tip could have been to use high explosives, like grenades or dynamite.

You had some tribal potion and a perk, but I'd have to go look it back up before I could remember more than that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 25 2015, 03:12 AM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 24 2015, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 24 2015, 09:45 PM) *

You had some tribal potion and a perk, but I'd have to go look it back up before I could remember more than that.

That's right! I think it was Honest Hearts that added a potion that made you immune from poison, and it automatically drank itself whenever you were hit with a poison attack. So you never even had to stop and find it in your inventory and click on it to use it. There is a regular antivenom in the vanilla game as well, but you do have to manually use it to stop the effects of poison. And if you are fighting cazadors, you are naturally going to get hit five more times after using it. wink.gif

Ahh, here is that post I made about taking on cazadors:
Annie's Colt M4 has been a real blessing versus the Cazadors. I have had better luck with her using that than any of my other characters. The burst fire gives me a good chance to hit with at least half its bullets, and couple of bursts will generally put one down. If all else fails I go to VATS. I took the headshot perk, and I think the Commando one, plus Action Girl. So she does really well in VATS. That is how I usually kill Deathclaws too. Oh, and I am using 5.56 Match Round and Armor Piercing with the Colt too. The Match Round for Cazadors and most other things, the Armor Piercing for Deathclaws and other armored types like the Legion.

Antivenom helps too. One of the DLCs adds one called Snakebite Tourniquet, which not only nullify's venom but gives you a resistance to poison for a while. Annie also took the Tribal Wisdom perk, which gives you a 25% poison resistance, makes you take 50% less limb damage from mutated insects, and even lets you eat them!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 25 2015, 03:18 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:00 AM