14 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Lopov
post Jun 28 2019, 08:12 AM
Post #241

Master
Group Icon

Thanks anyway, SubRosa. As it turned out, the PCB command helped for a little while, meaning that CTDs weren't happening as quick upon loading the game, but they did come back after a while.

Well, I may have found the culprit behind them but I'll need to do some more extensive and prolonged play-testing to see if this was the issue. In the end it looks like to be the good old mod conflict, but it took me ages (hours) to figure out what was the reason, because as I said, I've no installed new mods whatsoever in the past year or so. But I figured out that two mods that haven't been actively conflicting each other until lately, may have started to do so - namely the Bryan Wilks mod and the SCC Companion mod, on a top of it Ally is also traveling with vanilla Sergeant RL-3. I did some extensive play testing the other night and noticed that when Ally was traveling alone, no CTDs. If she was traveling with Bryan and / or RL-3, the CTDs would get more common. I disabled the SCC mod and CTDs seemed to be gone but as I said above - only time will tell if this was a real issue or not.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jun 28 2019, 04:53 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 28 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #242

Master
Group Icon

Huh, I think I'll have to give up, I have no idea what's causing CTDs in Ally's game. I was dubious that the SCC was behind it in the first place, but I tried to be optimistic. Today I tried disabling mods one by one, I uninstalled potentially problematic mods, I made a clean save, a fresh install --> all in vain. I think her savegame got corrupted. The game is playable for 5-10 minutes, then it freezes and CTDs. It only happens in her game, not in the Hobo's or Barlow's, so it must be something related to her save file, I assume. It never CTDs if some menu like PipBoy or waiting menu are opened, I can have them opened for an hour(tested) but if no menus are opened, it'll eventually freeze, then CTD.

I've been struggling with this issue since this morning, but so far without any result. Now I'm off to the beach to refresh myself in the waving sea, then I'll try CASM, I'll see if it'll be any better. I'll report later.

P.S.
A big Thank goes to my wife who tolerates her husband struggling with video games issue and as such spends today more time with our daughter than me. embarrased.gif

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jun 28 2019, 04:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 28 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #243

Councilor
Group Icon

No idea if FO is like Skyrim, but the content of the save file there means that removing mods can cause CTD's even when the mods are all OK. So trying to find a culprit that way just makes it worse. You may even have a problem because of a mod you don't have any more.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 28 2019, 06:13 PM
Post #244

Ancient
Group Icon

It might be a script from a deinstalled mod that is still running, and failing because the mod is no longer there. There is a tool that can find those and stop them, but I forget what it is called. I had to use it in Skyrim to kill some orphaned scripts like that. I am at work, so I cannot look it up right now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 28 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #245

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jun 28 2019, 11:23 AM) *

Huh, I think I'll have to give up, I have no idea what's causing CTDs in Ally's game. I was dubious that the SCC was behind it in the first place, but I tried to be optimistic. Today I tried disabling mods one by one, I uninstalled potentially problematic mods, I made a clean save, a fresh install --> all in vain. I think her savegame got corrupted. The game is playable for 5-10 minutes, then it freezes and CTDs. It only happens in her game, not in the Hobo's or Barlow's, so it must be something related to her save file, I assume. It never CTDs if some menu like PipBoy or waiting menu are opened, I can have them opened for an hour(tested) but if no menus are opened, it'll eventually freeze, then CTD.

I've been struggling with this issue since this morning, but so far without any result. Now I'm off to the beach to refresh myself in the waving sea, then I'll try CASM, I'll see if it'll be any better. I'll report later.

P.S.
A big Thank goes to my wife who tolerates her husband struggling with video games issue and as such spends today more time with our daughter than me. embarrased.gif

Fallout New Vegas used to have a LOT of issues with save files becoming corrupt; even with an unmodded game.

There were certain quests that were known causers of corruptions = meeting with the Great Khan; watching the rocket ship go up to space; something about how you did the Black Mountain quest; and one that had to do with the ray gun that uses the solar energy to blast enemies.

What I started doing was making a clean save at the Doc's office before adding any mods; and keeping that save to go back to if needed. That way if that character's save files became corrupt I could just restart her on that clean save without having to reinstall the whole game.

Another thing you can try is going back before her latest save to previous saves till you find one that is stable = before the corruption took place. Delete any saves that occurred after that stable one, and just resign yourself to having to redo some things. At least that way you don't completely lose your character.

If you are in FO3; I never remember them having an issue with corrupt save files; only some issues with 64 bit computers with multiple processors = there was something you needed to do to turn off two processors or something to stabilize your game. I had to do it on mine; and it worked great after that.

So if it is FO3 then it is probably something caused by mods. But - wasn't there some built in thing in these games that your saves couldn't go past a certain number without the game becoming unstable?

(In which case; a clean reinstall and not using any higher numbered previous save files should fix the issue).

Another thing = what Ghastley said somewhere in here = if you have a mod installed that has scripts in it; removing the mod later causes instability in any of the games after Oblivion because the scripts don't remove from the save files; and those saves won't work anymore without that script still running.

So when you shut down all your mods to try and stabilize your game; you might be making the problem worse since those saves are going to continue looking for those script agendas and not finding them = they kind of frantically search repeatedly for the script in their save to the point that all the game's resources are used up in it trying to find those missing scripts and you end up with crashes. Because of the time gap from the time you start your game till it crashes = this seems like a likely candidate as your issue.

Any game after Oblivion = if you remove a mod you kind of have to start a new character to keep your game stable. Try to stay away from mods with scripts unless they are something you are not going to want to remove.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 28 2019, 06:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 28 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #246

Ancient
Group Icon

Addendum: What Ghastley and Subrosa said!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 28 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #247

Master
Group Icon

Had an odd game session now. First I was getting constant CTDs after 5-10 minutes, then I got lucky and could play for 40 minutes without problems, then again around 5 CTDs one after another.

@ghastley - yeah, I'm aware of this, but AFAIK those mods which I removed, were all minor mods, without any scripts whatsoever. I rarely use complex mods and those which are more complex, I haven't touched. Thanks anyway, I'll give it a try with the tool SubRosa suggested if she finds it.

@mALX - for me NV was rarely buggy, neither was FO3, up until now. I had occasional stutters and CTDs, but they weren't as common.

Usually I'm very careful about keeping tons of previous saves but in Ally's case my previous save is from years back and I don't feel like replaying it all again, also because of a lack of time.

I have the .ini edits required for Windows 10 but there's not any difference.

I'll make an insight into mods which I removed or deactivated.

EDIT: I'll try New Vegas Anti Crash, it has a support for FO3. According to some users', it fixed crashes that couldn't be related to anything specific. Fingers crossed.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jun 28 2019, 08:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 28 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #248

Ancient
Group Icon

Here is the Skyrim version of that save game cleaner. It might work on New Vegas, I do not know.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 28 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #249

Master
Group Icon

Thanks, yet I didn't manage to get it working for FO3.

Not sure if I got lucky or NVAC actually works but I played for around an hour now without any crashes, even in combat. Let's hope for the best.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jun 28 2019, 10:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 29 2019, 10:19 PM
Post #250

Master
Group Icon

So far, so good. I've been using NVAC and I also removed .ini edits that were supposed to prevent CTDs at Windows 10. The game seems to run smoother now, not sure if because of NVAC or because of removed edits. No CTDs in more than an hour.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 29 2019, 10:27 PM
Post #251

Ancient
Group Icon

That is good news. I was going to suggest that if worse came to worse you make a copy of Ally's face, and just start a new game, and copy it over to the new Ally.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 30 2019, 06:46 AM
Post #252

Master
Group Icon

Ha, that's a good suggestion.

I won't try and fiddle with NVAC or .ini edits, not to make the situation worse again, but I wonder which one helped. I kinda think it might have been the edits. Funny, though, because they are always mentioned as a top solution to make the game more stable.

Or maybe it was NVAC that helped, I know that heavily-modded Blondie's and Red Orchid's game have crashes extremely rarely.

And it's not just that crashes are gone, as I said, the game runs much more smoother, I was used to occasional stutter before, especially when new cells were generating, but all of this is gone now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 21 2019, 05:40 PM
Post #253

Councilor
Group Icon

Pip Boy Invisible When Not In Use -- the only one which works (for me). I tried three other No Pipboy mods before finding the one which works. For me.

Holy chryslus what a great thread this is! I must go through all your lists. I bet there's all sorts of stuff I can use for my new character's game.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jul 21 2019, 05:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 5 2020, 05:24 PM
Post #254

Councilor
Group Icon

For Miss Vicious Delicious's game I have gone a small modding frenzy, most of it devoted to HUD changes. Because it's been (what?.... ) seven years since I've been playing Fallout 3, and I want her game to feel a little different from Cho's game.

A Familiar Friend -- Handheld Pipboy 2500

-- I don't want Vicious to have a traditional Pip Boy glove. nono.gif As far as I know, she was not a vault dweller, after all. So I went looking at a bunch of "No Pip Boy Glove" type mods. For some reason, none of them worked. Or they'd work (Pip Boy gets removed), but there'd be some problem with menus not showing up. Handheld Pip Boy solves this in two ways: it removes the glove, but also makes the PB into a handheld device. This device appears in the PC's left hand, and can be toggled into her palm or not.

And it's got some cool customization options. I have it set so that I can still pull up menus with my Xbox controller, but pressing G on the keyboard causes the handheld to disappear. Pressing C causes the light to come on, although I'm trying to get used to not using the light for her game. Again... this would make her game feel too much like Cho's or Janet's. Maybe there's a flashlight mod out there, instead.

-----------------------------

HUD Color Sliders

A very simple Menus file which adds some extra functions to the Options area: RBG sliders, basically. It's very easy now to get away from the vanilla White, Green, Blue, and Amber options shown on the HUD. In fact, I've chosen a beige-ish sort of color, so the HUD often blends in with the Wasteland's dried-out grass areas.

I am trying to play Vicious while having the HUD dimmed as much as possible (this is how I play Skyrim) but there are times of course when this is not feasible. I'm not as good at Fallout as I am at Elder Scrolls. Gotta know how much health she has in the middle of a battle, for instance. But at least her game has a different HUD color than any of my others.

-------------------f

Adjustable HUD

--This allows me to move (or delete, in some cases) various parts of the HUD. I moved the compass bottom-left, for instance.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jul 5 2020, 05:31 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2020, 03:36 AM
Post #255

Ancient
Group Icon

I am trying out Level 50. It raises the level cap in Fallout 3. New Vegas lets you go up to 45 or 50, so this sounds reasonable. There are mods out that that let you go much higher. But then you have to use other mods to work around the problem of getting stuck at the level up screen because all your skills are at 100, and you cannot level up further.

Now I am thinking about the problem of the monsters however. Once you get to about level 20 or so the Albino Radscorpions and Feral Ghoul Reavers start showing up. I don't want to spend half the game fighting only them. So I think I am going to try modding the leveled lists to go along with the new level cap.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 31 2020, 04:31 AM
Post #256

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 30 2020, 09:36 PM) *

I am trying out Level 50. It raises the level cap in Fallout 3. New Vegas lets you go up to 45 or 50, so this sounds reasonable. There are mods out that that let you go much higher. But then you have to use other mods to work around the problem of getting stuck at the level up screen because all your skills are at 100, and you cannot level up further.

Now I am thinking about the problem of the monsters however. Once you get to about level 20 or so the Albino Radscorpions and Feral Ghoul Reavers start showing up. I don't want to spend half the game fighting only them. So I think I am going to try modding the leveled lists to go along with the new level cap.

I hate those Feral Ghoul Reavers. Having to fight those every other fight would be super annoying.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 31 2020, 04:36 AM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2020, 04:44 AM
Post #257

Ancient
Group Icon

I think I fixed the Regulator. In the Projectile record there is a listing for Default Projectile Source, and it was still set to the Tesla Cannon. I changed it to the Regulator, and now the damage seems to be what I actually set in the Weapon record.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Mar 31 2021, 09:30 AM
Post #258

Master
Group Icon

Hey, if anyone has some time to kill and wants to play a quest/adventure mod for FO3, I published my first mod on the Nexus - Enemies of the wastes. You can read more about it there, if you're interested. wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 31 2021, 12:50 PM
Post #259

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey, congratulations on getting your material on THE Nexus. cake.gif This is going to sound kind of silly, but I recently learned I can simply download Nexus Mod Manager there. blink.gif Just think. All this time....

Kidding. Good luck with your work there, Lopov. It already says 24 Unique DLs by the way, so that's quite a splash.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 1 2021, 12:10 AM
Post #260

Ancient
Group Icon

Add one more unique download from me. I am not playing Fallout 3 at the moment. But when I get back I will give it a try.

Do you need to have the Regulator Perk to do the quests?

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:47 AM