Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Elder Scrolls Online: General Discussion
mALX
post Feb 11 2019, 06:49 PM
Post #81

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 11 2019, 08:20 AM) *

Nice! Thanks for all info. My gosh, this sounds a little overwhelming! Fun though. I think it'll be fun, right?

Do people make test characters for online games, or is that not as necessary? Every time I've tried to roll a test in the SP games, I always wind up getting sucked into full roleplays.

To me, ESO is actually as much or more fun than Oblivion; and Oblivion was always my favorite game of all time. The difference is = with ESO, there is no end point where you have done everything and have to start repeating doing the same thing over and over or start a new game again and again (because ESO keeps adding new content every other quarter of the year). I still haven't even done everything there is to do in the vanilla game yet!

As far as Test characters goes = I did this too; so did Acadian (which is how he ended up with numerous versions of Buffy). See, you can read about a Class or Race; but actually playing them might feel different than you expect = it might turn out that you don't connect as well with one Class as you do with another.

Thank goodness the game gives you 8 characters to test out what you want. If you don't like one right now, it is sometimes good to keep them in the bank and have them hold items in their inventory ("Bank Mules") = because later on you might want to try that Class again; and you will have it there.

That happened to me with my Tank, Britta. I really just didn't know how to build or play a Dragon Knight; so I tried to play her like I did my NightBlade characters. That didn't work on her; so I shelved her (I didn't delete her because I needed her extra inventory slots to hold all my hoarded junk, and each character can hold between 60-200 items depending on how big their backpack and horse's saddlebags you've bought them are).

Britta sat in my bank and held items for 3 years until a friend taught me how to play a Tank and told me I needed an Imperial Dragon Knight = that is what she was! I pulled her out and now she is one of my favorite characters!

I am not adept at figuring out the best way to get the most out of a Race or Class; but Acadian is! He has been teaching me how to build and play Sorcerers and Templars; and they are a blast to play and very powerful!

My favorite was always the NightBlade; because they are so much fun to play and kind of a jack of all trades type = they suited my play style very well = but now I also love the Templar; Sorceress; and Dragon Knight too! The Warden is a lot of fun; and I'm really looking forward to trying out the Necromancer!

When you are testing out a character; if you are not really happy with it = feel free to talk it out on here and see if some tips can help. (but also feel free to test out another Class too = find out what best suits YOUR play-style).

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 11 2019, 06:52 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 11 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #82

Councilor
Group Icon

Ha!!! Well I still haven't done everything in Oblivion or Skyrim yet, but I'm needing some changes. I like the sound of how we can test things out first. What a great idea.

And ... See it's good I am reading all this before I get in and play. I woulda been so confused ...

Stupid question I guess, but how does one pay for all this in-game content? I assume they just keep a credit card number on file, eh? Kinda scary. Maybe there's an option for pay-per-instance though.

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 11 2019, 07:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Feb 11 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #83

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 11 2019, 12:09 PM) *

Ha!!! Well I still haven't done everything in Oblivion or Skyrim yet, but I'm needing some changes. I like the sound of how we can test things out first. What a great idea.

And ... See it's good I am reading all this before I get in and play. I woulda been so confused ...

Stupid question I guess, but how does one pay for all this in-game content? I assume they just keep a credit card number on file, eh? Kinda scary. Maybe there's an option for pay-per-instance though.

Khajiit puts his credit card info in everytime he buys something. No need to have it saved.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 11 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #84

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Feb 11 2019, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 11 2019, 12:09 PM) *

Khajiit puts his credit card info in everytime he buys something. No need to have it saved.

Same here; I just give them my credit card info if I am buying something; but they have to ask for it each time.

My son's game pays nothing. He doesn't have any Plus membership (which costs around 12-15 dollars per month depending on how many months you pay for in advance). He hasn't bought any DLC; doesn't buy anything in the Crown Store = his game is totally free to play. He got 500 Crowns for buying the game (to spend in the Crown Store) = and still has them four years later! He never even spent those! So you can play totally for free if you want (other than the cost of the original game).

** Plus memberships get to play all the DLC for Free; can hold all crafting materials for free; have double the storage space in their banks and houses; get more XP for everything they do while playing; and are given 1650 Crowns to spend in the Crown Store for each month they pay for the Plus membership. Recently they have started to give Plus members presents (like an outfit; a statue to put in their house; or discounts on mounts or pets, etc).

Because he doesn't have that double storage; he has to juggle his inventory more than I do. It takes him longer to level up his characters without that bonus XP; but he can use XP scrolls or potions to increase that. Even without all the DLC; he has never even come close to completing the full vanilla game.

I do pay for a Plus membership on my account; it comes to 85.00 dollars every 6 months (BUT that is including the taxes placed on any entertainment purchases made in the state of TN where I live, so I'm not sure how much lower that would be in a different state. You can check how much it would be in your state).

What I have done all along is wait for the 1 year anniversary of the big DLC and purchased them for my game at their anniversary sale when the price was 50-75% off the regular price.

(I didn't have to buy them because I got to play them free with the Plus membership; but just in case one day I couldn't keep the Plus membership I wanted to own them).

DLC is bought using Crowns. You get free Crowns with your Plus membership; or you can purchase Crowns. The normal prices for Crowns around 100-140 crowns per dollar = the more Crowns you are buying at one time means more crowns you get per dollar). I also wait till the Crowns are on sale to buy them; so I can get a much higher amount of Crowns per dollar than even that.

The game itself (and any new "Chapters") can only be bought using real world money (credit card) = BUT: Chapters eventually become DLC; which CAN be purchased for Crowns; and are Free to play if you have a Plus membership!

Example: Morrowind was the first Chapter. I think you could get it for 38.00 dollars if you pre-ordered it; or 50 if you pre-ordered the Collector's Edition. But = if you waited a few months after its launch; they put it on sale; so if you waited; you get it for less. Then after one year they turned Morrowind into a DLC; so it was now free to play for Plus memberships and could also be bought for Crowns in the Crown Store.

Summerset was the second "Chapter," and it has gone on sale 3-4 times since it launched around June 2018. This last time it was only around 17 dollars. When the next Chapter launches this June; Summerset will become a DLC and be able to be bought with Crowns or played free for Plus members.

Also: ALL DLC prices are cut on their Anniversary of their Launch or for certain Special Events; so if you wait for those sales you can buy all the DLC for 50-75% off their regular price!

And: Crowns go on sale several times per year; so you can choose to buy on the sales and keep a supply of Crowns to cover any DLC you want to buy throughout the year.

So you have a lot of control over how much the game costs you and when your credit card is used if ever.

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 11 2019, 09:20 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 11 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #85

Councilor
Group Icon

Okay that's good to know we can pay per instance, and also watch for special times of year, then spend Crowns. I'll probably get a whole bunch of content right up front, then be overwhelmed for about 6 to 8 months, or a year, or four years ha ha.

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 11 2019, 12:49 PM) *

The difference is = with ESO, there is no end point where you have done everything and have to start repeating doing the same thing over and over or start a new game again and again (because ESO keeps adding new content every other quarter of the year). I still haven't even done everything there is to do in the vanilla game yet!

I wonder if this due to the fact that Zenimax makes this game? While Beth has spread themselves too thin with FOUR games recently (Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Starfield, and ES6) Zenimax Online is just coasting along, adding content even after 4+ years have gone by.

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 11 2019, 09:26 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Feb 11 2019, 09:39 PM
Post #86

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 11 2019, 02:24 PM) *

I wonder if this due to the fact that Zenimax makes this game? While Beth has spread themselves too thin with FOUR games recently (Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Starfield, and ES6) Zenimax Online is just coasting along, adding content even after 4+ years have gone by.

Khajiit feels it’s more due to the nature of MMOs versus single player games. MMOs are a fairly major time commitment as it takes a good bit of time to build your character and understanding of a given character’s function in group content. Given how long people can play this type of games, it makes sense to continuously add content to keep interest in the game going. Keep in mind also that many players will buy extras like the + subscription and crowns which are big money makers, so by adding content they keep these players interested who in turn spend more money.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Feb 11 2019, 09:40 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 11 2019, 10:38 PM
Post #87

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 11 2019, 03:24 PM) *

Okay that's good to know we can pay per instance, and also watch for special times of year, then spend Crowns. I'll probably get a whole bunch of content right up front, then be overwhelmed for about 6 to 8 months, or a year, or four years ha ha.

You can just buy (pre-purchase) the new version coming out in June (Elsweyr) because it comes with the base ESO game; Morrowind; and Summerset installed in it. You won't get to play the Elsweyr part until May 20 no matter what; but if you purchase the Standard Edition or Collectors Edition in Digital form = you will get to play the base game, Morrowind, and Summerset now. (If you get the collectors edition now you will get all the mounts and pets now for all three Chapters).

Whichever Edition you buy; if you do get the Elsweyr as a pre-order; you will also get all of the "Pre-order rewards."

Then if you pay for any length of Plus membership you choose; you will have access to ALL the DLC the game has; and plus a stash of Crowns to spend in the Crown store equal to 1650 times the number of months Plus membership you purchased!

Here is a page that tells what all you can get with either version and how much they cost:

** Of course, you have to buy the one that includes the base game; not either of the ones that say "Upgrade."

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/55537

And here are the pre-purchase prices:

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/stor...5500.1434973647

59.99 for the Standard Edition; 79.99 for the Collectors Edition; but if that is too high you can scan down the page to the older Editions; which are much lower. At the bottom of the page you can click on the Plus Membership to see how much it will be and what it offers, and also check out the Crown prices.

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 11 2019, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 11 2019, 12:49 PM) *

The difference is = with ESO, there is no end point where you have done everything and have to start repeating doing the same thing over and over or start a new game again and again (because ESO keeps adding new content every other quarter of the year). I still haven't even done everything there is to do in the vanilla game yet!

Don't forget Bethesda also launched a crapload of first person shooter and sports games; plus the free Fallout Vault game for phones and Elder Scrolls Legends card game during that same period too; not just the games you mentioned.

But a lot of those working on ESO were long time lovers of Elder Scrolls games from way back. It has the feel of the early Elder Scrolls games; but is like all of them put together. You can explore all of Tamriel in one game instead of having to change games to see the different Provinces.

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 11 2019, 10:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 13 2019, 05:08 PM
Post #88

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Feb 11 2019, 03:39 PM) *

Khajiit feels it’s more due to the nature of MMOs versus single player games. MMOs are a fairly major time commitment as it takes a good bit of time to build your character and understanding of a given character’s function in group content.

Oh okay. See, i didn't know this. Makes sense though, looking at the way initial versions of WoW and Evercrack Everquest were around for many years.

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 11 2019, 04:38 PM) *

You won't get to play the Elsweyr part until May 20 no matter what;

Oh I hope to have ES: O before then. I can't wait that long!

I think I'll spend a lot of initial time in Cyrodiil, since that is where I am most comfortable. I've got this idea that my first character will be very stealthy too. Shy, and not so overtly combat-oriented, unless she's playing some sort of background role. Hmm...

But a lot of those working on ESO were long time lovers of Elder Scrolls games from way back. It has the feel of the early Elder Scrolls games; but is like all of them put together. You can explore all of Tamriel in one game instead of having to change games to see the different Provinces.

OH wool, did not know this! I keep learning new things every day from you all.

How do people sound when they use their mics? I do have a pretty nice Logitech gaming headset, but I was talking into its mic the other day and my voice sounds rather broken-up. Unless I hold the mic right in front of my lips, that is. Or speak RATHER LOUDLY. Whenever I hear people speak in YouTube vids, they always sound much more clear. Maybe they are using actual microphones though, like professional ones.

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 13 2019, 05:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Feb 13 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #89

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 13 2019, 10:08 AM) *

I think I'll spend a lot of initial time in Cyrodiil, since that is where I am most comfortable. I've got this idea that my first character will be very stealthy too. Shy, and not so overtly combat-oriented, unless she's playing some sort of background role. Hmm...

Word of warning: Cyrodiil is a massive PvP area. The Alliance War frontlines are in Cyrodiil so you have to always worry about being attacked by other players. The Gold Coast zone which contains the cities of Anvil and Kvatch is a PvE zone so you could spend your time there. It is DLC content though (Dark Brotherhood), so you will need to get that DLC or an ESO+ subscription to go there.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Feb 13 2019, 09:29 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 13 2019, 10:43 PM
Post #90

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 13 2019, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 11 2019, 04:38 PM) *

You won't get to play the Elsweyr part until May 20 no matter what;

Oh I hope to have ES: O before then. I can't wait that long!

What I meant by that above is = Elsweyr won't launch until May 20 for those who purchased it early = but if you purchase it early; you will still be able to play the base game; Morrowind; and Summerset Isles right away.

Also, you have to be at least level 10 to go down to Cyrodiil; they don't let anyone under level 10 in there. I'm not sure about the Battlegrounds; but Cyrodiil stays locked right up till you reach level 10; then they send you a letter inviting you to come down.

When you come down there, someone will meet you when you land with the Quest arrow over their head = take that quest, it is good for a handful of skill points to spend leveling your skills up. They will train you to use the siege weapons and offer you Missions in the Alliance War.

You don't have to accept the Missions if you don't want to.

If I'm playing a young character I usually take the "Scouting" Missions (to spy on the enemy Forts). I also usually take one that says something like "Kill 20 Enemy Players." I don't go out looking for fights; but if someone attacks you and you are holding that (you get bonus rewards).

But when I go down to Cyrodiil; it is usually to explore and nab "Skyshards" = because there are SO many Skyshards down there.

(Every three Skyshards you find gives you a skill point to spend leveling up whichever skill you want to train up). Cyrodiil and the Imperial City Sewers are loaded with Skyshards; ; but it is harder to get them due to it being a PvP zone.

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 13 2019, 11:08 AM) *

How do people sound when they use their mics? I do have a pretty nice Logitech gaming headset, but I was talking into its mic the other day and my voice sounds rather broken-up. Unless I hold the mic right in front of my lips, that is. Or speak RATHER LOUDLY. Whenever I hear people speak in YouTube vids, they always sound much more clear. Maybe they are using actual microphones though, like professional ones.

In game there is no voice chat; but if you want to hear people talking to you and them hear you = especially when you are playing with them (instead of all that typing in a chat box) you can use TeamSpeak or Discord. Our group from Chorrol has both available for use right now.

I don't know how Discord sets up the voice chat; but TeamSpeak has a pretty thorough voice testing function where you can actually hear what everyone else hears when you talk. (It is quite shocking, lol).

Does your headset have a USB connector? Because those load their own drivers into the PC every time you plug them up; making them SO much easier to use than the more expensive models.

If it doesn't have the USB connector; you can try updating the drivers; check to make sure the mike connection is working on your PC by trying using a different headset; etc. (The usual troubleshooting things you would do).

Also; when you put on your headset, are you lowering the mike wand down to your face? Because if the mike wand is up along the earpiece; it will do exactly what you described = (crackling, muted sound, etc). The mike wand should be close to your mouth; but to the side of your mouth (not in front of your mouth, so your "P" sounds don't pop people's eardrums). If you play with your mike or it brushes against your shirt/hair/etc = that will also cause it to crackle.

Here is something you might think about if you still have trouble after you troubleshoot the problem = I hate to EVER recommend them; but Walmart has a USB Headset that is hell of cheap to buy; but works Awesomely. It is a Logitech too; but one that will only last about two years before you'll have to pitch it and buy another. I bought two this last time so I'd have a spare when this one quits working.

(same with their keyboards = best and cheapest Razer gaming keyboard you will own for two years, then overnight suddenly turns to crap and you need to hurry to Walmart and replace it).

When you add up how little it costs to replace them every two years; you still come out ahead against buying a decent more expensive set. (everything Walmart sells has a two year lifespan on it anyway; except their meat which has so many preservatives and tenderizers that it will still be there in 20 years (and taste the same).

Anyway using any USB mike will eliminate ALL your connection issues. You plug it in, it loads the drivers and software and is ready to go without any "tweaking."

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 13 2019, 11:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Aug 7 2019, 05:29 PM
Post #91

Mouth
Group Icon

It's good to be back playing ESO, but one thing I did not miss is just how much is tied to the game being multiplayer. Obviously, it's to be expected that a lot of it would be given it is an MMO, and it is nice to have activities that you can play with friends and other people, but it would still be nice to have the multiplayer be less influential. There isn't going to be a perfect balance that suits everyone, though, so I get it to an extent.

But in this case, I'm not referring to the game mechanics. I'm talking quests and story (even exploring other provinces outside of your alliance). The Alliance War affects so much in this regard that it can really hamper role-playing, and I'm not even a strict role-player. For explicitly Alliance War questlines, this obviously makes sense, even if it is a real stretch how they justify in-game the way you can experience the other two alliances (in my case, Covenant and Dominion). But still, some quests that don't necessarily need to be affected by it are still affected by it. And sometimes, it doesn't even need to be a wholesale change, but even a change of dialogue to acknowledge certain things would be nice.

Then again, I suppose there is only so much that Zenimax can do about this. With how much the game has to try to juggle, code, implement, etc., there are some concerns that just can't be assuaged. Only so much can be coded and implemented in a game like this.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Oct 7 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #92

Master
Group Icon

I tried ESO for the first time yesterday. I bought the game - Tamriel Unlimited - in 2016 but my laptop back then couldn't handle it, my current one handles it with ease. I haven't yet seriously approached the game, I only created a test character and played through the Wailing Prison. I've never played any multiplayer games before, so I'm a n00b in this regard, but my first impressions are quite positive - it runs smoothly, the combat is fluid and interesting, the dialogue system seems okay too.

I have a few issues / questions, however, and what better place to ask than here.

1 - I can't play the game on the EU server. I don't have problems playing it on the NA, so looks like I'll stick to that one. The game runs smoothly and loading times are short. Whenever I tried running it on the EU server, I got a message that my computer isn't authorized to play this game and I got an access code on mail. Even when submitting this code I got the same message and a new code. I submitted it many times but not once did it work. Then I switched to the NA server and I could log in automatically, no need for any codes whatsoever. Still if anyone knows a possible reason, I'd prefer playing on the EU server because apparently loading times are even shorter.

2 - I can't take screenies - the notification appears but they don't save in the screenshots folder. I googled the issue up, and it seems related to my first name (my real name, not in-game name), because it has a non-English letter (Ž), because screenies are stored in a subfolder of the folder, which contains my name (hard-coded into my computer, difficult to change), don't store at all. I found some solutions online, the first one is to "trick" the game to save screenies to another folder, it has pretty detailed instructions, so I'll try it later when I'm home. The second solution is to press PrintScr, then save the screenie manually in Paint, it works, I tested it, but it's tedious.

3 - I read earlier in this thread that it's possible to turn off being attacked by other players. Nobody attacked me in the Wailing Prison, but I'd like to know where to turn this option off, I can't seem to find it. Also, it's possible to turn off being interacted with from other players. For now I'd like this turned off as well.

4 - there are some areas where you're together with other players and some that you're alone, right? For instance, in the Wailing Prison, where you need to destroy the eye sentinels, there were plenty of other real gamers around, while when fighting the boss, I was alone. My question is - if in an area with other gamers - can they loot chests / corpses before me? Also, some other gamer and me were fighting a skeleton archer, when it died, I looted it and took a sword from its body. Does this mean that the other gamer couldn't pick it up?

5 - I suck at picking locks, I follow the instructions, but I must be doing something wrong, because I constantly seem to break lockpicks. Don't bother with this, I'll become better with time. bigsmile.gif

6 - is there any way to use different colors for facial / body markings? Are there any DLCs / updates that add even more customization options?

7 - as I said above, I have the Tamriel Unlimited Edition. Are there any DLCs / updates you'd recommend I'd install from the very start?

That'd be all for now, thanks.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Oct 7 2019, 09:59 AM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 7 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #93

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, welcome!! I will go into the game and see if I can figure out the answers to some of your questions. In the meantime:

3. Other players can’t attack you unless you are in Cyrodiil or the Battlegrounds. You will know that you are going there if you do, you can’t just wander in accidentally. Other players can request to duel you anywhere, but they can’t damage you unless you agree to the duel. There is a setting to automatically decline duels so you won’t be bothered. I’ll check where to find that setting.

4. Yes, some areas are solo instances where you will be alone. There is often a notice when you enter that you’re going into a solo instance, for example when you’re doing the quests in the main questline. In shared instances such as the Wailing Prison, some loot is shared and some is just for you. Everyone gets their own loot from corpses, but the locked chests are shared. The containers such as barrels, crates, sacks, and backpacks are instanced to you, so taking things from them does not remove anything for the other players. Crafting resource nodes such as alchemy plants, wood, and ore are shared.

7. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are connected to DLC, so those would be good for thieves and murderers. Orsinium is a big zone with lots to do. I’d suggest playing for a little while and then deciding if you want to pay for an ESO Plus membership. That gives you access to all of the DLC as well as some other benefits.

I am delighted that you’re trying this game! I have found it to be a vast and beautiful world to explore.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 7 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #94

Paladin
Group Icon

1. Welcome to PC NA! That is actually a good thing since our Chorrol player guild is only on PC NA.

2. Never tried the game screenshot function. I still have Fraps installed and that works perfectly for my ESO screenshots.

4. Players who influence the death of a foe (even by healing the fighting players) get to loot the corpse. Resource nodes like chests, heavy sacks, flowers, ore, wood, etc are first come first serve.

5. Locks. I have a little better luck focusing on the bottom of the pin and watching for it to wiggle as it goes down. You're right that it takes practice.

6. No in game (or add on) color changers for face/body markings. Later in the game, you can buy/earn new markings and many of them come in differing colors.

7. I'd stay with Tam Unlimited for now. Play the game for a week or two and make sure you really like it. If you do, I'd recommend subscribing to ESO+. That will get you all the DLC and a bunch of perks that really do make life in Tamriel much more enjoyable and convenient. An unlimited crafting bag, the ability to dye costumes, even a stipend of game store currency (crowns) to help recoup some of the cost of ESO+.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 7 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #95

Councilor
Group Icon

I agree with everything already said. I'd just point out for (7) that the DLC add content, but don't change anything in the base game. Those changes were made when the DLC was released, but apply to everyone.

There are a few semi-exceptions, all relating to chapters. You could only get certified in Jewel Crafting by visiting Alinor. You could craft jewels, but couldn't do the writs. Psijic portals are only visible to those who have done the first quest of that line, so although they are all over Tamriel, you need Summerset to even know they exist.

This didn't happen with Morrowind to the same extent. Just like Elsweyr, a class was tied to the chapter, and you could only make a character of that class if you bought the chapter. Now Morrowind is a DLC, the Warden class is in the Crown Store separately. Necromancer may follow that pattern. Battlegrounds existed only on Vvardenfell initially, but are now all over Tamriel, and anyone can go there.

Other than that, it's just dungeons that won't be on your map without the DLC, and Wrothgar, Vvardenfell, Summerset, Murkmire and Elsweyr zones. You'll spend at least two years just exploring the rest. You can make equipment of the crafted sets from those zones at the Guild Hall, as we already copied the stations. You can buy the dropped sets anywhere, (at a price!), including at The Golden in Cyrodiil.

However, ESO+ is a major benefit (if only for the craft bag), and would give you DLC access.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Oct 7 2019, 04:35 PM
Post #96

Master
Group Icon

Thanks all for warm welcome and answers.

1) Regarding the server - I forgot that most of you are on the NA server, no reason for me to try to play on the EU one anymore.

2) Regarding taking screenies - I solved the issue. Pressing the Windows button + PrintScr saves them in the default Windows folder.

3) Regarding chests and looting - do chests respawn in this game? Just curious, if someone "snatches" all the stuff right in front of my nose from some locked chest, does it ever respawn? I don't mean necessarily with the same loot, but if it respawns at all?

4) Regarding areas - are there many places, where there are other games like the Wailing Prison or are you mostly solo? Just curious, it doesn't bother me if there are others around, as long as they can't attack me, as you explained me.

You'll spend at least two years just exploring the rest.

This made me laugh! laugh.gif Based on my limited time for gaming, it'll take me four years. ohmy.gif Which means it'll probably take Renee twenty years. biggrin.gif

Two more questions:

Which class would be the closest to the spellsword? That's what I intend to do for my first playthrough. Dragonknight/Nightblade?

Why were some gamers in the Wailing Prison wearing what seemed to be very advanced armor and weapons? Can you come back to that place any time?

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 7 2019, 05:23 PM
Post #97

Councilor
Group Icon

3. Shared loot like locked chests and crafting nodes respawn on a timer, so yes, eventually a new chest will just appear where the looted one was. Instanced loot such as barrels, wardrobes, and backpacks respawn when you re-enter the zone (like through a loading screen).

I checked where to auto-decline duels and immediately forgot what menu it’s in. Sigh. I think it was under Options->Social.

4. There are lots of areas where other players can go and not as many that are solo.

There will be some high-level players in the Wailing Prison because you can start that questline (the main questline) any time. If you own the later Chapters your tutorial doesn’t start in the Wailing Prison, it starts on a ship for Morrowind or… I’ve actually forgotten how my own game starts. It’s something about waking up in a Khajiiti school. Anyway if I started a new character they wouldn’t go to the Wailing Prison until they accepted the quest that takes them there, at which point they could be in some fancy gear. There are also Costumes and Outfits that show on your character instead of the actual gear they’re wearing, so you could be seeing a new character in a costume that the player already has in their account.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 7 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #98

Paladin
Group Icon

The game does not do a good job of supporting a spellsword. It is stuck in the antiquated concept that mages use staves and magic and non-mages use swords/bows. More specifically, staff and spell damage/effectiveness is driven by your magicka pool and spell damage stat whereas melee weaponry and bow damage is driven by your stamina pool and weapon damage stat. So. . . generally, mages put all their attribute points into magicka and use enchantments/gear that enhances their spell damage. Conversely, non-mages put all their attribute points into stamina and use enchantments/gear that enhances their weapon damage.

Hybrid characters who do use sword and spell suffer from mediocre damage compared to those who focus on either magicka/spells or stamina/melee-bow.

That said, each and every class can build for stamina or magicka and do well. A stamina based bow sorceress is just as viable as a magicka based staff-using sorceresss for example.

One consideration of the game being online is that it is alive and changes (yes, skills too) over time as the game evolves via patches and updates. That is why many players eventually have multiple characters (or multiple variants of Buffy in my case) that are differing classes. When one does not fare well due to the nerf/buff/patch cycle, you have others that probably have fared better. The frequent changes to skills can be a source of frustration. Buffy has 'adapted' by embracing the approach of have multiple variants of herself and logging in on differing classes with no more concern than she gives to which hair style to wear that session. That also helps combat a desire to use bow and magic (which are not compatible in ESO as explained above) by having both pure mage and pure archer variants to play.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 7 2019, 05:57 PM
Post #99

Councilor
Group Icon

The classes in ESO basically define your available spells, as their abilities are all magicka-based (with a few exceptions), and you get all the stamina-based abilities from the weapon skill lines.

You can tank wearing cloth, and be a mage in a tin can. However, you can't viably become a hybrid using both magic and weapons, as you'll not be able to sustain both pools.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 7 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #100

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Oct 7 2019, 04:58 AM) *

I tried ESO for the first time yesterday. I bought the game - Tamriel Unlimited - in 2016 but my laptop back then couldn't handle it, my current one handles it with ease. I haven't yet seriously approached the game, I only created a test character and played through the Wailing Prison. I've never played any multiplayer games before, so I'm a n00b in this regard, but my first impressions are quite positive - it runs smoothly, the combat is fluid and interesting, the dialogue system seems okay too.

I have a few issues / questions, however, and what better place to ask than here.

1 - I can't play the game on the EU server. I don't have problems playing it on the NA, so looks like I'll stick to that one. The game runs smoothly and loading times are short. Whenever I tried running it on the EU server, I got a message that my computer isn't authorized to play this game and I got an access code on mail. Even when submitting this code I got the same message and a new code. I submitted it many times but not once did it work. Then I switched to the NA server and I could log in automatically, no need for any codes whatsoever. Still if anyone knows a possible reason, I'd prefer playing on the EU server because apparently loading times are even shorter.

2 - I can't take screenies - the notification appears but they don't save in the screenshots folder. I googled the issue up, and it seems related to my first name (my real name, not in-game name), because it has a non-English letter (Ž), because screenies are stored in a subfolder of the folder, which contains my name (hard-coded into my computer, difficult to change), don't store at all. I found some solutions online, the first one is to "trick" the game to save screenies to another folder, it has pretty detailed instructions, so I'll try it later when I'm home. The second solution is to press PrintScr, then save the screenie manually in Paint, it works, I tested it, but it's tedious.

3 - I read earlier in this thread that it's possible to turn off being attacked by other players. Nobody attacked me in the Wailing Prison, but I'd like to know where to turn this option off, I can't seem to find it. Also, it's possible to turn off being interacted with from other players. For now I'd like this turned off as well.

4 - there are some areas where you're together with other players and some that you're alone, right? For instance, in the Wailing Prison, where you need to destroy the eye sentinels, there were plenty of other real gamers around, while when fighting the boss, I was alone. My question is - if in an area with other gamers - can they loot chests / corpses before me? Also, some other gamer and me were fighting a skeleton archer, when it died, I looted it and took a sword from its body. Does this mean that the other gamer couldn't pick it up?

5 - I suck at picking locks, I follow the instructions, but I must be doing something wrong, because I constantly seem to break lockpicks. Don't bother with this, I'll become better with time. bigsmile.gif

6 - is there any way to use different colors for facial / body markings? Are there any DLCs / updates that add even more customization options?

7 - as I said above, I have the Tamriel Unlimited Edition. Are there any DLCs / updates you'd recommend I'd install from the very start?

That'd be all for now, thanks.

1. Oh, I hope you stay on the NA server! For one reason: We all play on the NA server; and you can use our Guild Hall for all your crafting needs! The second reason is that the EU Server has had a lot of issues with some functions.

2. You actually can change your Account name if that is the reason you can't save your screenshots; especially if they are keeping you from getting your screenshots I'm sure they will let you.

If you set your screen to "Windowed" you can stretch the game window to fill the screen and still have access to your desktop activity bar at the bottom; making the "Paint" function more easily accessed.

3. To turn off PvP duel invites:

* Click on your "Escape" key to access your "Game Settings"

* Go down the list to: Social

* At the top of that screen you will see "Automatically refuse duel requests" = click on that.

4. Yes, other Players can beat you to a chest; they can beat you to plants and other loot too. However; crates, backpacks, dressers, etcetera = some may be empty when you look, and some may have items in them (but every Player who looks in them will have the same chance to get something in them as you do = it is random just like in the other Elder Scrolls games).

Looting the bodies of any enemy you have helped kill:

Not all bodies will be lootable; but the ones that are will give loot to everyone who contributed to the kill.

5. Lockpicking: Press down the tumblers slowly. When you feel the tumbler start to shake and make a rattling sound = release the pressure on the tumbler right away and it should lock into place. (if you hold it after it shakes or press it down further, it breaks the lockpick).

6. Look in the Crown Store for different markings; and also look in the "Crown Crates" section where you can buy items for "Gems." Different tattoos are offered every month or so in those two places.

7. If you get the "Plus" membership you can play all the DLC included in your membership; and decide which ones you want to keep. That is the best way to test them out.

The Plus membership can be purchased for just one month to test things out that you want to try; or you can pay for a longer period if you want all the benefits of it. (it has A LOT of benefits).

Some of the DLC are just two VERY hard dungeons; we get them once or twice per year. I always ignored those; you can never do those dungeons alone, and they are for very elite Players. (highest skilled in dungeon combat). I do not recommend buying any of them unless you join one of the elite Guilds that will train you to be at their level. (not many want you in their guild until you can do X amount of damage to dungeons bosses).

(So don't buy: Shadows of the Hist; Horns of the Reach; Dragonbones; Wolfhunter; Wrathstone; Scalecaller:

The ones that I always buy are the ones with new lands and new quests:

"The Dark Brotherhood" DLC gives you the area of Cyrodiil around Anvil, Kvatch = you get to visit all the same caves and Ayleid ruins from Oblivion's Anvil region!

"The Thieves Guild" gives you a section of the Redguard area of Hammerfell. ("Hews Bane")

"Orsinium" Gives you the Orc kingdom East of High Rock ("Wrothgar")

"Morrowind" Gives you the island of Vvardenfell. Vivec City, etc. = it is all there just like in the old Elder Scrolls game! (including Vivec himself!) Adds a new Class: "Wardens"

"Clockwork City" is Sotha Sil's area of fabrications = everything there is man-made beasts; like fabrications of mud crabs or daedra made of metal; kind of like the Dwemer enemies were. I think it is in Nocturnal's realm.

"Summerset" is Summerset Isles = the land of the Altmer. Adds the "Psijic" Skill line.

"Murkmire" is the Black Marsh region east of Cyrodiil. Argonian homeland.

"Elsweyr" will become a DLC next year around June. It is the Khajiit area due south of Skingrad (past the border below Cyrodiil). That DLC is Northern Elsweyr; and they are about to give us Southern Elsweyr next month. This DLC adds the "Necromancer" Class.

"Dragonhold" = is not out yet. It is coming out in November; and will be Southern Elsweyr.

ONLY if you like PvP = "Imperial City" = this is the Imperial City and the Imperial Sewers. It IS a PvP zone; so you WILL be attacked by other Players even if you have duels turned off = because they aren't dueling you, they are there just to kill you and the Daedra that have taken over the Imperial City.

"Imperial City" is a PvP zone, you don't go there unless you are ready to fight Players.

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 7 2019, 06:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:26 PM