Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout 4 - no spoilers, Are the rumors true?
Grits
post Oct 28 2015, 11:37 AM
Post #101

Councilor
Group Icon

• Doggie!! wub.gif

• I’m looking forward to discovering the series. Fallout 3 didn’t really draw me in. I’ve seen awesome screenshots here from New Vegas but have never played. The FO4 trailer showed a world that I want to explore, so I’m optimistic.

• That dog!! wub.gif

• Meeting my characters. As much as I dislike the character creation scene and the implication that all characters must be part of that specific family just in different colors, I expect that there will be enough world out there to forget the beginning scene and just be who the character is.

• Oh, did I mention the dog? smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 28 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #102

Ancient
Group Icon

I am most looking forward to a game that doesn't have an awful green or yellow tint laid over everything. It is such a pain the rear to mod that out. Having a game with real colors right out of the box will be a refreshing change from Bethesda.

I hate the way Bethesda decided to define our character as a married, heterosexual, parent before the game even begins as well. I am sure their line of thinking is that there are no gay people in the world. There are no people in the world who are single (by choice or circumstance). There are no people in the world who don't want to have children. Or not able to. There are no people in the world who get married and have kids, and then get divorced! Or just skip the marriage part and go straight to the kids and breakup. Those things would just be unrealistic, and impossible for anyone playing the game to comprehend.

Apparently the idea that people might want to create their own character histories and personalities is completely unknown to Bethesda. Just like people might not want to play their crappy main quest, and play an open world game the way it was meant to, but just going out and exploring and getting into adventures.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 28 2015, 08:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 28 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #103

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 28 2015, 12:00 PM) *

I am most looking forward to a game that doesn't have an awful green or yellow tint laid over everything. It is such a pain the rear to mod that out. Having a game with real colors right out of the box will be a refreshing change from Bethesda.

I hate the way Bethesda decided to define our character as a married, heterosexual, parent before the game even begins as well. I am sure their line of thinking is that there are gay people in the world. There are no people in the world who are single (by choice or circumstance). There are no people in the world who don't want to have children. Or not able to. There are no people in the world who get married and have kids, and then get divorced! Or just skip the marriage part and go straight to the kids and breakup. Those things would just be unrealistic, and impossible for anyone playing the game to comprehend.

Apparently the idea that people might want to create their own character histories and personalities is completely unknown to Bethesda. Just like people might not want to play their crappy main quest, and play an open world game the way it was meant to, but just going out and exploring and getting into adventures.

Here Here! I don't mind having a main questline in case I choose to want to do it; just don't want it crammed down my throat and forced on me; or anything forced on me in what is touted as an "Open World" game. My biggest enjoyment in Skyrim and ESO is exploring; doing the random quests I choose to do as I come across them; and create my own adventures in my own way. There are some questlines I do enjoy and want to do, but want to do them in my own sweet time; not under dire pressure.

I really like the way Oblivion let you choose to walk away from anything at any time, and on your return it would pick up as if you weren't even gone from it. And a lot of times they gave you a few days between quests to go do other things; like in the Mages Guild when Arch Mage Traven had to "Think" for a few days between quests.

That gave the player every opportunity to go do whatever else and come back when they were good and ready to.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 28 2015, 10:54 PM
Post #104

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Oct 28 2015, 04:18 AM) *

Well, as they say, persistence always pays, especially with hopeless people like me. biggrin.gif

Sorry, back on track. With Fallout 4 just over the horizon I was wondering what you folks are most looking forward to. For me there are 3 keys items. I really loved the light, dripping rain effect they put into Skyrim, the one that was was heavier than drizzle, but not quite normal rain either. So it will be really awesome to see how the weather plays out in the game. Storms are likely to play a main role, but I also hope they downplay it with some somber music to fit the mood.

The number of quests that Beth gave me in Oblivion and Skyrim was astronomical, where as the number that I had to play with in Fallout 3 was horribly underwhelming. It was only once I modded the PC version that things felt complete again. I really hope that there is waaaay more content this time.

And third, with Adam Adamowicz (the Beth concept artist) passing away back in 2012 I am very keen to see if Beth put a few hidden eggs in the game dedicated to him. Perhaps a gravestone with his name, or a art book (in game) with a little of his work. Who knows?

So, what say you? What are you keen to see?

Edit- Oh, and this is my current screen pic while I wait for Fallout 4. mALX, this one is for you!

Clicky

D'aaaaaaaw !!!! He is pupalicious!

I think your suggestions regarding the Easter Eggs referencing Adam Adamowicz is an awesome idea! I hope they do that, that would be a nice tribute.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 28 2015, 11:45 PM
Post #105

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Oct 28 2015, 04:18 AM) *

That is from in-game? Holy crap, I can see why it requires so many resources to run this to Recommended status.

What am I looking for? More of everything I guess. Now that the PS3 / Xbox 360 generation has passed, the consoles won't be holding back the base game for PC players anymore. So hopefully there will be more content (as stated), more NPCs, etc.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 28 2015, 12:00 PM) *

I hate the way Bethesda decided to define our character

This, period for me. It's too confining. Not just straight / married, but any sort of definition at all. We're all good at making our own definitions, it's what we do.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 29 2015, 12:18 AM
Post #106

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 28 2015, 06:45 PM) *

This, period for me. It's too confining. Not just straight / married, but any sort of definition at all. We're all good at making our own definitions, it's what we do.

One of the things I hated about Mass Effect 1 (the only one I played much of), was that it forced you into playing a human Space Marine. You did have a choice of a few different backgrounds, like war hero, sole survivor, spacer, colonist, and so on. But I didn't want to be a Space Marine. I wanted to be a scout/explorer, just traveling the galaxy prospecting and perhaps getting into adventures here and there. I didn't want to be a human either. As soon as I saw an Asari, that is what I wanted to be. But just like the Fallout games, you don't get to choose your race.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 29 2015, 02:42 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Oct 29 2015, 06:01 AM
Post #107

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks folks! That doggie is so cute, isn't he? Not sure whether I am sold on the German Shepard thing, us Aussies just love our blue heelers too much. Still, if I do not have to use the 'dogmeat' name and can use something myself then it will be okay. However, I doubt that Beth will give us that freedom.

The dog does look like it has some real nice animation, nose to the ground as it tracks a scent and the ability to really throat rip and take down during combat. So fingers crossed it works out as planned.

SubRosa is spot on about the limiting main quest and character background. It doesn't look good with Beth now making two Fallout games with the forced beginning. That to me seems like a template that they will use all the time in FO. They copped a fair amount of criticism about the 'daddy' story line in FO3 and yet what do we have- more of the same...

The green tinge was certainly weird after 200 years and made no sense. I am also glad to see the blue sky and clouds back.

I must do a search on info on Boston before the game lands. Work out the landmarks etc.

Celtics and Good Will Hunting are all I know about Boston. Lol.

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Oct 29 2015, 08:29 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 29 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #108

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 28 2015, 07:18 PM) *

One of the things I hated about Mass Effect 1 (the only one I played much of), was that it forced you into playing a human Space Marine. You did have a choice of a few different backgrounds, like war hero, sole survivor, spacer, colonist, and so on. But I didn't want to be a Space Marine. I wanted to be a scout/explorer,

Oh so THAT'S where this idea of a forced protagonist comes from eh? X-| ... okay, I get it now. Beth is sick of hearing "your story sucks, BioEntertainment does it better", so they probably did something to make the story more confining (but "better') as well, by confining the choices we have at the beginning of the game. If that's the case, then I'll definitley be waiting until FO4 is out for awhile, so I can see if I'd be interested or not.

Not to bash BioWare, or the people who bought them out, but the one game I tried of theirs (one of the Dragon Ages) had me instantly bored. After I sat through like a half-hour of dialog at the start, and finally got to move my character around, I was longing for Oblivion, and literally put that game in the tray. Dragon Age gets a lot of respect, I know this, but me personally? My copy of DA sits in my CD rack to this day!

I'll probably be like mirocu, playing Fallout 3 for the next several years, haha.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 30 2015, 12:24 AM
Post #109

Ancient
Group Icon

Get ready to buy your Nuka Quantums on November 10th!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 30 2015, 01:37 AM
Post #110

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 29 2015, 07:24 PM) *

I want to try it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Oct 30 2015, 08:54 AM
Post #111

Knower
Group Icon

I am worried about the color. I do not want some fake, artificially colored preservative drink. I want the real radiation thing, the one that burns holes through the snow and increases my action points. laugh.gif

Not to bash BioWare

Interestingly, I am playing both Skyrim and the complete Mass Effect series while I am waiting. I bought the Bioware games years ago but never got around to playing them other than a bit of game testing.

I enjoy the characters and story-lines, far more than I expected and it will be interesting to see how the voice protagonist fares in FO4 when compared to it. On one hand I dislike the idea of Beth forcing a character beginning on me but I have noticed that Mass Effect is the only series that I can play a female character.

I have tried playing as a female in Beth games but it just feels wrong and I soon drop the character. The written dialogue forces me to 'think' as a female, and that is scary!

In voiced recorded dialogue I can just sit back and let the female part play itself out. So if things work out in FO4 I should be able to get twice the content from the game.

I have played most of Dragon Age. I enjoyed the cut scenes, but really that was it. NPCs and the testosterone mutt with the collar was too much for me. And turn based combat and healing....grrrr.....

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Oct 30 2015, 09:10 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 30 2015, 09:11 AM
Post #112

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 30 2015, 12:24 AM) *

I would, but I´m not sure the plane ticket is worth it...

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 30 2015, 12:32 PM
Post #113

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Oct 30 2015, 03:54 AM) *

I have tried playing as a female in Beth games but it just feels wrong and I soon drop the character.

Sure, some people are more comfortable with one sex or another. I think because I grew up table-gaming, and we had parties full of mixed sexes, I'm more comfortable with switching from male to female. I feel a lot more comfortable with females in Oblivion though. In Skyrim, I've been about 50/50.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 30 2015, 01:05 PM
Post #114

Ancient
Group Icon

I have tried playing as a female in Beth games but it just feels wrong and I soon drop the character. The written dialogue forces me to 'think' as a female, and that is scary!

laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 30 2015, 01:20 PM
Post #115

Ancient
Group Icon

I am worried about the color. I do not want some fake, artificially colored preservative drink. I want the real radiation thing, the one that burns holes through the snow and increases my action points. laugh.gif

Try peeing in the snow after drinking it; then you will see the holes burning in the snow!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 30 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #116

Ancient
Group Icon

In voiced recorded dialogue I can just sit back and let the female part play itself out. So if things work out in FO4 I should be able to get twice the content from the game.

Nothing wrong with any of that. Some people who play video games see their characters as extensions of themselves. They put themselves directly into the shoes of that character, and become that character. Sort of like Method Acting, but for gaming. Other people see their characters as separate beings, characters whom they are guiding through the game, and discovering the game with. They view the protagonist more as a companion than a projection of their own identity.

If you are one of the Method Actors like me, playing a member of the opposite sex can be difficult, if not impossible. I did it for decades simply because I had no choice in the matter. Male was all that the games offered, except for the rare games like Tomb Raider (that made up about 1% of the games out there at the time).

Thankfully now some game developers offer the choice between playing a male and female protagonist. Bioware, Obsidian, and Bethesda have always been good about this. Now I always play as female characters because I have the choice. I am so sick and tired from all those decades of being forced to play as males that I cannot enjoy it anymore. So I won't buy a game that forces the dick on you. The developers can keep their penii to themselves.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 30 2015, 09:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 30 2015, 06:08 PM
Post #117

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 30 2015, 12:32 PM) *

except for the rare games like Tomb Raider (that made up about 1% of the games out there).

Yep, this! I fell in love with Tomb Raider when I first discovered it, for this reason. I wish they'd make a Grand Theft Auto with a choice of female protagonist.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 30 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #118

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 30 2015, 12:32 PM) *

The developers can keep their penii to themselves.

rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Oct 31 2015, 04:50 AM
Post #119

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 30 2015, 05:32 PM) *

Thankfully now some game developers offer the choice between playing a male and female protagonist.

Unquestionably the best move that the recent developers have woken up to is the massive female audience that was waiting to embrace video gaming. It is strange that Rockstar (as Renee has said) continues with their male lead, but I guess with such a story driven game it would require more work to achieve it. Saints Row did have that flexibility and it can certainly be achieved if they want to.

The old Beth fan fiction showed me just how passionate woman can be about computer gaming. Most of the best writers both there and here were in fact female. There is no doubt (in my experience) that woman have far superior communication skills than us males and role play games are perfect to express that. In general society males are more likely to be a 'closed book' personality and only mature later on. Well, we hope...

My female Shepard is one the best gaming characters I have ever played. It just works so well for me when Bioware swings the camera during dialogue and I can feel the character's emotion through facial expressions. I struggle to play a female normally and hoping that Beth nails it as well.

Melbourne never has any snow during winter, mALX. That melting snow thing is never an issue! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Oct 31 2015, 04:53 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 31 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #120

Ancient
Group Icon

I pre-ordered Fallout 4 on June the 4th via GameStop; they were supposed to take the funds out of my PayPal account. Well, they didn't; and just the other day I got an email from them saying that "soon" they would be removing those funds and shipping the game; that I should receive it two days past the date it ships to stores. Which means 4 days past the time Steam users can access it.

So, "Thanks, Bethesda for making pre-ordering with you such a bonus for me!"

I cancelled my pre-order via GameStop, and just in case they still tried to run it through still I cancelled it via PayPal as well.

I can drive over the the GameStop and buy the game with cash/credit 2 days before it would have come to my house and save myself the 11 dollars "rush" shipping that I paid; or order it via Steam and be playing it 4 days before it would have arrived.

Thank you SubRosa for the heads up on that rip-off, I did not know till you posted that link. laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

25 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2024 - 09:20 AM