7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coldshort's Company - Playground
Dantrag
post Jun 11 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

OOC: not sure where the settlement is, so I conveniently left out details regarding it.

Keara

Keara held binoculars to her face with one hand, while the other rested on Lucky's head. She saw the settlement, but there was nothing to note. No movement, no nothing. It was quiet. She would have to get closer to know anything for sure, but Laura made it absolutely clear that she not move beyond the ridge she sat upon now.

Keara felt that she was being watched, but in the back of her mind, she knew it was Gramps peering at her through a scope from some unknown position. He always was. It made her feel secure on the one hand, but something told her that it was Laura that made him do it. They were as much keeping an eye on her as they were protecting her. It was why she was never privy to Raymond's location; she could never tell if he could see her or not. One wrong move, she knew, and she was toast. It was why she chose to report back instead of learning more.

They don't trust me, but that's fine. It'll be Laura's fault if we all die just because I couldn't do a proper scouting.

"I really thought I'd won 'em over after Springvale," she said to the dog while scratching his ear, "Oh well. Let's go, boy, before I lose my head."

Keara hung her binoculars around her neck and brought an inhaler from her pocket. She breathed in deep, holding the tainted air until she felt the familiar rush of jet moving through her mind and body.

She left the ridge and returned to the others with Lucky at her heels.

"Miss Laura," she said with an oft-used, sarcastic salute, "I couldn't spot a soul over there, but I was pretty far away. I'd need to get closer to find out more."

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grif11
post Jun 12 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #2

Finder
Group Icon

Raymond

The old sniper was keeping a watchful eye on there newest member. Really, what does Laura see in her.
He thought to himself. I suppose we do need some sort of scout, and she did have to pay for her theft. but she's paid now, why stick around? She could easily slip away while we sleep, and it's not like were holding her prisoner.

The girl had turned back now, returning to the group with her dog at her heels. Raymond was always amazed by her speed, even if she was using jet. I've killed many fiends. If she doesn't stop taking that filth she's going to turn into one!

--------------------
~Salutes~ I am dave! Yognaught.

Unshelled Bullets - A weary sniper tells his story of law and sacrifice.
+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Jun 13 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #3

Agent

Laura was knelt nearby. They'd set up camp near their target town, a small ramshackle collection of huts around a larger central warehouse. It was in there that she'd been told they'd find their target. The job had sounded easy enough on paper, get in and get out with the item. But something scratched at the back of her head, if it was a pick up why did they need such a heavily armed group, and why go through a small merc channel, and not someone more trusted. All in all though it didn't matter, they needed the caps to keep going and Laura wasn't ready to give up yet.

"It's late, they might all be inside..." Laura muttered, picking up a nearby stick she tossed it to the scout. "If you can draw us out a decent map, I want routes in and out in case we need to cut our losses and run. I want a count on the huts and any their layout if you can, I want to know what we're walking in to."
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 13 2011, 04:39 AM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

"Cut our losses? I thought this was just a delivery job. You're acting like we should expect trouble."

The look on Laura's face told her to shut up and do as she was told, and Keara suddenly remembered that her boss always expected trouble. It was Laura's job to plan for the worst, and Keara knew firsthand that it had kept the five of them alive all this time.

"Okay, okay. Forget I said anything," Keara said, squatting to draw a rectangle in the dirt, and talking a million miles an hour, "There's an old pre-war warehouse here, surrounded by shacks. Most of those are just built from scrap."

She drew a few of the huts before pausing to think. Then she drew one more. Then she drew a squiggly line below the warehouse.

"That line there is the ridge I was just on, south of the warehouse," she explained, putting a little dot to represent herself, "There's five shacks that I could see, but the warehouse itself blocked my view of the north side, and I wasn't high enough to see over it. There are probably just more o' those shacks, but you may want to ask Raymond if he saw anything over there."

She kept scrawling in the dirt.

"Oh! And there are two guard towers. Not too tall, maybe twenty feet high. And there's a fence around the whole compound. The gate is here, on the east side, but it was damaged in two places; the southeast corner, here, and another on the west side."

Keara stopped drawing to look Laura in the eye, and slowed her speech, "But I'm telling you, I couldn't spot anyone. No guards on the towers, nobody watching the broken patches of fence. Are you sure they're expecting us to pick this thing up?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 13 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #5

Knower
Group Icon

The ghoul sat directly infront of the mercenary leader, cleaning his RPD and maintaining the bullets. His old mentor always said that the last minute preparation would always save lives. The contract they were given sounded easy enough, but Alexei kept wariness on his side. Something off kept ringing the alarm bells on his head, but he supposed it was only the pre-battle anxiety. He returned on cleaning his favorite gun. It was always warm to his touch. The youngest member of the group returned, along with a sarcastic demeanor. Alexei shook his head. She was a thief and Laura still recruited her. The stunt she pulled at Springvale . . . that was one thing Alexei would remember. And then she began drawing the crude layout of the settlement, talking about the LACK of guards and patrols. Once she finished, Alexei became uneasy.

"Maybe we need to plan this thoroughly. Lack of guards, lack of anything.. It speaks the dialect of suspicion, comrades." His voice was parched and sonorous. He looked at Kaura, dropping his chin slightly to meet her eyes. "What would our leader do?"

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
grif11
post Jun 13 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #6

Finder
Group Icon

Raymond

Well, no point staying up here, Raymond thought, glad he could return to some company. Raymond was used to working with another, whether a spotter or just another soldier. Snipers are lonely people most of the time, but Ray had gotten used to it.

Once he had returned, he found Laura and Alexei discussing the job. "Well, your map there is pretty good," He muttered to Keara, kneeling down beside her "May I add a few details?" With that, he got to drawing a few more buildings. "Behind this warehouse, I could make out a few more of these shacks, and a medium sized building here," and drew it a small distance from the warehouse.

"I would guess this is being used as some sort of barracks. However, No lights were on and no signs of life through the windows. they could be waiting there for ambush, so I suggest our plan is to surround that building first, and rush them. Still, You're the scout, you would probably have a better idea. We both see far, but you come up with the plans."

This post has been edited by grif11: Jun 14 2011, 04:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jun 13 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Jonathan

When Jonathan heard the signs of Keara's return, or more accurately, the signs of everybody else responding to an approaching entity, his hand slipped to the small revolver he kept within his coat. When he saw that the new arrival was Keara, he simply nodded to her and returned to the task of replenishing their supply of clamps, straps and hookups for Laura's explosives. After Springvale, they'd ran dry on just about everything and Jonathan would have preferred to take some time out to restock their equipment. He doubted he was the only one with that opinion but a vacation wasn't an option. They needed the caps, and they needed them now.

The balding man listened with only half an ear to Keara's report of her findings. It was when Alexei worded his worries that Jonathan turned his full attention to the report. As he looked up, he caught a glimpse of the ghoul and suppressed a shudder. It was that shudder of unease that Jonathan hated most. He knew Alexei was a good man, hell he even liked him. Not to mention that up till now, Alexei had never come to Jonathan asking to fix a gun for him. He was reliable and good to have by your side when it mattered. One more thing Jonathan learned at Springvale. But somehow, he just couldn't get rid of that subconscious revulsion whenever he looked at the irradiated giant.

"Hmm, sounds fishy indeed. Good shelter wouldn't be abandoned for nothing." he mumbled as Raymond returned. The man was the oldest of the group which had earned him the nickname of gramps, despite not being all that much older than Jonathan himself. Without wasting time on salutes or greetings, gramps knelt down next to the young thief and completed the map. Jonathan looked at the crude drawings of the two and realized that he had absolutely no idea what to make of it. Oh, he could see what the squares and lines meant, but he wouldn't be able to form that into a tactically sound plan of any sorts.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 13 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

"We all got a weird vibe, right?" Keara said to everyone before turning to Laura, "So let me and you go in first, and the others can wait on the ridge. We'll at least sneak a peek into the warehouse and those barracks. If we've got time, you can plant some strategic explosives like last time, and if there's an emergency we'll send out a signal."

"No doubt Gramps will see it," she said sourly, "Then him and Alexei can back us up if we need it."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Jun 14 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #9

Agent

((OOC:Considering most of us are ex-Megaton i'll go ahead and assume we're based near and work primarily from there))

Laura studied the map, there was good cover all the way around the warehouse from those shacks, but it also screamed of a killing floor. However, she knew Raymond and Keara were good, not the best but damn good at what they did. If there were people still down there then they'd have seen at least some decent sign of them, and she doubted that the place had been tipped off about their arrival.

"Hmm, I don't like the idea of going in alone. Especially not if we have one point of entry and escape." Laura muttered. "Jonathon, if you have any form of wire cutting tool I want you to make a breach on the other side of the fence, get Alexei in through that so he can take up a covering position behind a shack." Larua declared, indicating the westernmost shack on the map.

"Raymond I want you to find a good spot and keep an eye on that warehouse door. If it looks like it's about to open I want to know about it. Keara, we'll head down and take a peek inside. If it's clear we'll breach the warehouse and get in and out. If push comes to shove i'll blow us a hole through the fence and we leg it. We'll meet up back here after the jobs done, and then head back to Megaton and meet our employer."

Laura looked around the group, her eyes meeting each of her teamates in turn. "Any questions, any changes, any complaints. Now's the time people. If not lets get to it, we're wasting time"

This post has been edited by Ahrenil: Jun 14 2011, 12:17 AM
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jun 14 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Jonathan

Jonathan took out a pair of pincers and gave a demonstrative snap.
"The fence is chainlink I hope? If so, I can make a gap with these in a matter of minutes. If the fence is made of something more solid though..." He said and then trailed of for a moment.
"Well, as long as we're not looking at brick and mortar, I've got the tools to get through it. It would take more time and be considerably noisier though. After letting in Alexei though, where do I go? Should I stay with him, wait outside the fence in case I'm needed, or head back to the rendezvouspoint?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 14 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

Keara loaded a microfusion cell while Laura gave instructions. She winced a little at the mention of returning to Megaton; whenever the company stopped to rest, Keara rarely went into towns for fear of being reported to or seen by the Regulators. She usually just gave Jonathan the caps to buy ammo for her. On the occasions where she did go inside, it was always quiet and usually involved jet.

I'm tired of sleeping outside while they get beds, but at least I'm staying alive.

Her gun was getting a bit finicky, so he had to whack it with the palm of her hand a couple times just to get the thing loaded. Jonathan had been too busy with the explosives to mess with her rifle, besides, it was a small enough problem to overlook for the moment.

She didn't even bother with her plasma pistol; she hadn't had the required energy cells to use it for some time now. The plan was to get enough caps for a good resupply after this job.

"The fence is chain-link for sure," she said to Jonathan, slinging her rifle over her shoulder once more, "It should give you no problems."

--------------------
+Quote Post
grif11
post Jun 14 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #12

Finder
Group Icon

Raymond

"OK, I'll get moving then," Raymond said, and with that, he got to looking for a good spot. up near where he was before while "Protecting" Keara, there was a small ledge with a clear view of the warehouses front and side doors.

"One last thing," he said before leaving. "If I see a door open, what's the signal?"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 15 2011, 05:03 AM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

"The signal is to shoot the sly bastardes," Keara answered. Nobody argued.

They all waited for a few moments, to give Raymond enough time to get settled in his spot. This was the worst part for Keara. Her jet-screwed mind didn't handle suspense very well. She fidgeted, glancing back and forth until finally Laura began to move.

"C'mon, Lucky," she said, sounding relieved to be moving, "Let's get this thing and get paid."

I'm running low on jet.

She and Laura made it to the ridge she scouted from earlier, and then it was time to wait. Again. They waited until Jonathan and Alexei reached their positions. Now it was their turn.

"Alright, Laura," she said, resisting the urge to take another puff of jet, "Are we just walking straight through the gate, or taking the stealthy route through one of those gaps?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 15 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

Alexei stood up, casting a giant shadow on everybody. He loaded a drum on his RPD and checked if his 9mm SMG was easy to reach. Everybody was in position now, the only ones left were him and Jonathan. He motioned the other man to follow him where their position awaits.
Just like what Gramps and Keara said, the settlement was a conspiracy of huts and the warehouse, guarded by the chainlink fence. Alexei kept an eagle's eye on everything, particulary the barracks. While he knew Gramps had his All-Seeing-Eye stuck to the barracks door, it would not hurt to keep extra watch. He waited while Jonathan did his part. The man sure knew how to handle mechanical things. Perhaps he could create a robot? Once this contract was finished, Alexei would ask.

"Jonathan, I want you here, on the other side of the fence, while we search for what we came for. You may not be combat-skilled but I would trust you to watch over my blindside. Tell me if the enemy tries to flank and smoke me out, yes? 'C nami Bog."

--------------------
--
--
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Jun 15 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #15

Agent

Laura looked over Keara, the girl seemed eager, a little too eager for Laura's liking, and ready to head off. She was usually against rushing into things, but something about this whole mess made her uneasy right down to her bones. It wasn't just how empty the town was, it was how convenient the job was, how readily she had accepted it. No one came to them with simple retrieval tasks anymore, something seemed so dreadfully off.

"We'll waltz right in, if theres anyone in there I don't want them to start shooting at the shadows, especially with Alexei and Jonathon over on the other side. I'd prefer to seem friendly rather than shady." she said, rolling her shoulders and sliding one of her few grenades into a pouch on the belt across her chest. "I want you to keep your rifle pointed down, unless someone actually pulls a trigger we're going no casaulties and no wasted ammunition."

The earth crunched beneath her boots, the wasted and dry soil giving way easily to the thick rubber and metal. Here and there pavement and concrete survived from before the war. So far she couldn't see anything that threatened rads, but you never knew out here.

"Take us in, keep it slow, visible and determined. If you can guess where he is make sure Raymond has line of sight to us."
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jun 15 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Jonathan

With one last snap, Jonathan finished cutting a gap in the chainlink fence. For a second, he examined the work he'd done before letting Alexei pass through. Different from what he'd originally planned, Jonathan had decided to cut the fence in such a way that an entire section could be folded away or back into place. Like this, they could easily pass while leaving the gap almost invisible for someone who didn't know where to look.

" 'C nami Bog." The mechanic had no idea what exactly Alexei's last two words meant. But it didn't really matter.
"Probably just his way of saying 'good luck and stay vigilant'." He figured as he crawled through the gap himself. Exchanging his pincers for his revolver, he made sure that the one last bullet he had left was not in the firing chamber. An accidental disscharge was the last thing they needed.
"Alright. I'll tell you if anything moves behind us." He whispered as they moved behind the shacks. With his back pressed against a wall, Jonathan could see anything not within Alexei's line of sight.

"This place really is quiet. I hope it isn't the silence before the storm."

--------------------
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 15 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

The ghoul, with his back against the wall, studied Jonathan's weapon. It was a .32 revolver. He began to think that maybe the technician shouldn't be here, but then, he really do need extra eyes and security for flanks. He decided that maybe Jonathan needs a new weapon to defend himself. The 9mm SMG was useless to one such as Alexei anyway.

"Listen, comrade. A .32 revolver wouldn't do much harm to hostiles, let alone kill 'em. Unless you have incredible aim, that is. What you need is a gun that packs a punch and fires rapidly," he whispered. He reached for his 9mm SMG and handed it to Jonathan. "Here, take this as a present AND precaution. Using that pepper-spray should be easy. Take ample cover and just point and shoot. Easy as making Brahmin stroganoff."

He then quietly laughed at his metaphor. Then he turned serious and looked at the ridge where Laura and Keara was. He signalled them that all was well with a thumbs up.

He was ready to wake sleepers with his RPD, oh yes.

--------------------
--
--
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 15 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

Keara did one better than keeping her rifle down; it never left its place hanging from her shoulder. She'd watched the settlement for some time earlier; it would be surprising indeed if someone popped their head out. The warehouse had no windows, so there was no way for anyone inside to spot them. Keara figured she wouldn't need a weapon until they went in. If even then.

"Nice and friendly it is, Boss," she said to Laura, following her instructions by heading for the main gate on the eastern side of the compound. It was closed, but not locked.

"Hail!" she called, glancing up at the guard towers once more. Again, not a soul to be seen.

"I guess we'll just head inside then," she said, moving the latch and sliding the gate to the side, "I'd check the barracks first, make sure they won't ambush us from there, like Gramps said. Then we can move to the warehouse."

"Based on what you told Gramps, he's mostly focused on the warehouse doors. Our side of the barracks might be obscured to him. We need to go at that building from the west side to stay covered."

--------------------
+Quote Post
grif11
post Jun 15 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #19

Finder
Group Icon

Raymond

"Still nothing," Raymond muttered to himself, still uneasy.

hold on, somethings not right about that warehouse. There seemed to be large groups of flies gathering at the doors, some entering through small holes.

Oh god, this might have something to do with the lack of life here. If only I could warn Laura.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jun 17 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

Jonathan

"Ah, thanks. Doubt I'll be able to hit anything though. My eyes are as bad as my cooking. Suppressionfire would be the most I could offer." He muttered without averting his eyes from the area he'd been watching. He reached behind his back to take the weapon Alexei offered and quickly checked where the safety was, how quick he could switch it off and that it was on. Jonathan was the man who preferred to rely on mechanical precautions instead of thrusting his own fingers to stay away from the trigger when not needed.

Behind him, he heard a voice call out from far. Keara?
"Damn, this place really is quiet. If no one responds to the young lass, that means two things. One, no one is around to respond or two, they're not planning on responding with words. Both mean trouble" He whispered, more to himself than to the ghoul. He could feel his hands become slick with sweat from anxiety and his hands trembled slightly. The mechanic took a deep breath before steadying his grip on the gun.

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:45 AM