Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coldshort's Company - Playground
Dantrag
post Jul 11 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

Keara didn't like having Laura's firm grip holding her in place. It made her think that it wouldn't be hard at all for them to detain her for the Regulators. Keara reminded herself that Coldshort had always been fair before explaining, "It's nothing good, Laura. I've got to go."

She took a deep breath, "I spotted Regulators outside and I'm pretty damn sure they're after me. I never told you this, but I've been on the run from them since before we met. I'd rather just go than get all of you in trouble for my problems."

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jul 12 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

Jonathan Guntherson

When Keara went outside, Jonathan considered following her. The smell and especially the sight had been getting to him as well. He didn't think he could keep going for much longer before cracking. But he stayed behind.
"The more stuff of value I can find the better. Besides, I know that once I step through the door, I won't be able to force myself back into this place."

The two corpses he investigated held nothing of interest. Then Keara stormed back in, far too soon to have taken a breather. That was the first hint something was up. Her rather blunt way of stating she was leaving was another. Up till now Jonathan had figured that Keara still had a decent amount of fear of Laura which kept her from simply disappearing on them. So was there something which frightened her more than the idea of desertion?

The mechanic interupted his search, nodded at Alexei and approached the two women. If it was important enough to risk pissing off Laura, it was important enough for the rest of them to hear as well. What the ex-thief mentioned after a deep breath pleased him.
"Regulators? Well, I've got no beef with them and it's a good thing they're here. We should inform them about the possibility of a major raider gang being on the loose. Those guys are upholders of wasteland law after all and the destruction of a settlement like that would surely...." Jonathan started rambling but cut himself off when his thoughts caught up with his words.

"Scratch that. They'll probably be in a shoot first, reload second, ask questions third mood when they see the bodies. A quiet retreat might be a better plan. Your problems are going to be the least of our worries if they catch us here, Keara."

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: Jul 12 2011, 08:35 PM

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
grif11
post Jul 13 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #43

Finder
Group Icon

Raymond

Raymond made it to the warehouse doors without the Regulators spotting him. Keara? He thought, seeing the young woman dart into the warehouse. Whats she up to?

Raymond popped through the door just in time to catch everyone arguing. "So, you know then."

"I spotted scopes and assault rifles, so this doors going to be being watched now, and I bet there going to storm this place soon. These guys have us pinned down."

--------------------
~Salutes~ I am dave! Yognaught.

Unshelled Bullets - A weary sniper tells his story of law and sacrifice.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 14 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #44

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

"Damnit, damnit, damnit!" Keara shouted, violently throwing her soda bottle past Laura and into the wall. It shattered and fell to the floor in pieces. Nuka-Cola dripped slowly down the corrugated steel.

She'd been evading the Regulators for this long only to have them find her now? It was almost unbelievable, but for the fact that she'd seen them coming with her own eyes. And now she was trapped in this warehouse like a fish in a barrel.

"How the hell did this happen?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Jul 14 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #45

Agent

There was a ringing in Laura's ears. Keara's words felt like a blow to the head and her mind was still realing with the possiblities. Regulators were about as chivalrous as a kick in the teeth and not much smarter than the boot itself. They'd see corpses, no matter how old, and open fire immediately. But what got Laura's hackles up more was the fact that the regulators were here now. This was a few days old at least, and she doubted any signal got out for them to be responding too. And with the heat they were packing that left one option.

"We've been set up" Laura hissed. Then she repeated it a bit louder, accompanied with several well known expletives and a few she made up. "It's gotta be, and now we're gonna take the rap. God damnit I shoulda seen!"

She looked around at her team, panicking would do them no good, and she was glad to see the majority of them had not flipped. "We've got about 10 minutes if they're careful going through the town, and we need a way outta here right now. Keara, get to looking for ways out. Alexei and Raymond get to the windows, if they're making too good time getting here I want them to reconsider, but don't kill anyone, if we get caught we'll say we thought they were raiders.. Jonathon, with me, we're rigging the back wall. If we find a door, we'll use it as a distraction, if we don't find a door. Well then we'll make one."

She looked around at her team. "We've got to make the choice, we can run and just be falsely accused, or we can stay and get into one hell of a firefight. I doubt they'll want to negotiate but i'm open to suggestions."

+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 15 2011, 03:57 AM
Post #46

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

"I don't have to look. There's no other door," she said matter-of-factly, "It's the main door or a window. Either way they'll see us. My vote's for the firefight; I got no qualms about vaporizing Regulators 'cause I know they'd do the same to me."

Keara realized that the rest of her party probably wouldn't agree with her, for obvious reasons. Personally, though, she had nothing to lose by killing the lawmen, and everything to gain. Their lives for another day of freedom seemed a good trade to her. She could only hope that her companions would ignore the possible blow to their reputations and see things her way.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jul 15 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

Jonathan Guntherson
OOC: We're still up for the 'everybody except keara gets captured' plan?

The situation went from bad to worse. Now Raymond had abandoned his position to come repeat Keara's warning. While Jonathan appreciated the man's loyalty, he thought it might have been better for him to remain hidden. Then at least one of them would have had a good chance of getting out unharmed. Keara said she was willing to fight instead of run. While the sign of loyalty was nice and did chance Jonathan's opinion of her for the better, he disagreed with the idea of fighting the regulators.

"compassion...this place is a deathtrap. Gramps just said scopes so poking your head will lead to bad things, and we can't rule out them having grenades either. Either way, fighting here won't do us any good. This place isn't a bunker, it's a worn-down ramshackle warehouse." He grumbled then looked at each one of his companions in turn, even the dog that always followed Keara's heels.
"No reason to make matters worse. I say we run through a wall if they're watching the door. Ok, boss. I managed to fix up some hookups and detonationwire for your bombs. Not as much as I'd like, but enough for a good boom or three. Make the most of it cause I won't be able to get you more right now."

--------------------
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jul 15 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #48

Knower
Group Icon

OOC: The Morning Star shines again. Tremble, ye of the Faith, the Prince of Perdition walks prouder than before! ... Err, yes. Too much stress from this monstrosity called Emperor RL, particulary its nasty assistant named 'Schoolius Julius Caesar', has driven too much pain in me that I have to turn to the occult for help. Sorry for me absence. Anyway, I'm up for that plan. I'm the one who suggested it, or am I wrong?

Alexei

Things went so wrong very fast the ghoul had trouble keeping sense at this surroundings. It was just like Fort Bannister all over again. All became blurred as the lines between past and present thinned in Alexei's mind. His fellow mercs' face became like disturbed ink, he does not know who they are. Their outfits morphed into that black-painted CA with the claw. He pointed his RPD at each of them, ready to send a pullisade of hate into their heads, but something in his warned him not to.

They are not enemies. But their outfits tell another tale! They are comrades. Kill them all, leave no one alive! They are the ones who gave you a goal when you were directionless. DESTROY EVERYTHING! Calm yourself. GIVE IN TO YOUR RAGE AND SHOW THEM THE MEANING OF FEAR! Think rationally. KILL!

He became confused. The world was spinning, voices roared over each other, and there was no sense in direction. No south, no north. He wobbled on his feet and his gut proclaimed its oncoming rejection. He resisted that urge.

But the sharp voice of a woman penetrated through his chaotic mind. Lana? Maria? Lania? Lara .

The mist disappeared, along with the chaos inside Alexei. All was normal now. But this certain experience he endured worried him. Was he finally going feral? Or is this a product of his broken mind. Nonetheless, he obeyed his leader's command and took up a position on the windows next to the entrance of this shack.

"I am ready. Say the word, Comrade Lara, and me and Grandfather Raymond shall hold them off for as long as we can."

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
grif11
post Jul 15 2011, 05:42 PM
Post #49

Finder
Group Icon

Raymond

"I don't like this," Raymond said, taking position by the other window and making sure the regulator snipers couldn't see him. "I'm always fighting for the law. I know were innocent, but it still feels weird, aiming at authority."

When Alexei aimed at Raymond, along with everyone else, he was reminded of a similar event with an NCR soldier. PTSD, he muttered. The big guys been through a lot. "Just so you know, if this turns into a firefight, I'm not firing a single bullet. Sorry, but I'm not killing Regulators."

"We probably only have between 2-5 minutes before they find us, so we need to work fast."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 15 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

Things weren't looking good. Keara nearly wet her pants when Alexei pointed his massive gun her way, and now Gramps was playing the pacifist. They had both just become unreliable in her eyes, and at the worst possible time.

"Gramps, you're no good there if you won't shoot," she said, readying her rifle, "See if you can help Laura and Jonathan with the charges; I'll take over here."

Keara wasn't one to give orders, as that was Laura's job, but she felt like she needed to have some control of the situation. If they wanted to live through the next few minutes, firing at Regulators could be necessary.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Jul 18 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #51

Agent

Laura looked handed Jonathon a demolition charge and trusted him to get on with it. She turned to the three by the windows and grinned with grim determination. They were hers, even surrounded and outgunned they were willing to stick by her when things went wrong. Though Alexei was seeming to suffer from the stress a little he hadn't snapped, and that was the main thing.

"Raymond, I was trusting you not to kill them. You're a good enough to shot to make them think you're shooting to kill without actually hitting them. I'm not willing to become a murderer yet, but that doesn't mean they need to know that. Alexei, if you aim just above their heads and loose off a few bursts to make them keep their heads down they can't shoot at us when we leg it and they can't advance on us. Theres far too much open ground for them to cover under fire."

Laura turned to Keara, she knew the kid had a wild streak, a dangerous streak. But in Laura's eyes she was still a girl, not someone who should be exposed to this sort of life. She was useful as a scout but as far as death and destruction was concerned a part of Luara just wanted to make sure the small girl didn't see more of it than was absolutely necessary.

"Negative on that Keara, as soon as that back wall is down you need to be out of here. We can't have you by the window risking some shrapnel in the leg. If you don't make it to Megaton I doubt any of us will. Plus those cells aren't cheap, we can't have you wasting more ammo. We can get some cheap and shoddy bullets for Alexei and Raymond, but they know how to conserve."
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jul 19 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

Jonathan Guntherson

Without a word, Laura handed him an explosive the size of a small brick and then diverted her attention to the rest of the group.
"Right, I'll prep this one. Give me a sec." Jonathan mumbled under his breath and got to work. First he needed a length of wire to connect Laura's explosive with the detonator.
"Let's see. First up is the length of wire we need. one of the 30 metre spools should do it. If we get something at this end of the building for cover against shrapnel, we should be fine."

Next he took out one of the makeshift harnesses he'd been working on earlier and bound it around the brick. Now the rest would be simple. Press the bare tip of the detonationwire into the brick and then tape it into place. The other end went into the mouth of the onehanded detonator he'd made out of scrap a few days back, after checking the safety of course. The last step was affixing it to a wall.
"Alright, I'm done boss. She's ready as soon as you find the place you want it and squeeze the handle. Don't forget to turn the safety knob on top first. I'll move some of those crates so we can hide behind them." He said as he gently placed explosive and detonator on a table.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 20 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

Laura used the word "you," Keara realized, not "we."

"You need to be out of here."

There was no talk of a rendezvous, or any sort of contingencies. Did Laura really mean for the rest of the group to make a last stand against the Regulators while she got away? Keara stood dumbly for a moment while Jonathan prepped the bombs. She scanned the room, looking over each one of her companions. She'd never called any of them friends before, but at this moment she realized that they were. Despite the arguments, the mistrust, and her thieving nature, they were all willing to die right here just to let her run away.

A tear welled up and she wiped it away as quickly as she could; Gramps would never let her hear the end of it if he saw it. She steeled her nerves, took a couple of deep breaths, and flipped the safety on her rifle.

"Stay alive, all of you," she said solemnly, "And I'll come back. I promise."

Keara knew that her promise likely meant little to them, coming from her. What mattered, though, was that it meant something to her.

--------------------
+Quote Post
grif11
post Jul 21 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #54

Finder
Group Icon

Raymond

This is it then Raymond muttered, before singing his rifle over his back and helping Jonathon move some crates for cover.

Once enough boxes were in place for everyone to get behind, Raymond then dragged a sheet of corrugated metal in front of the crates "might help stop shrapnel a bit better" He grunted. God, my back's going to break any day now!

This post has been edited by grif11: Jul 21 2011, 11:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Jul 22 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #55

Agent

Laura nodded at the group and motioned them behind the cover. The charges would create more shrapnel than blast wave, and it'd expel the majority of those outwards, there wouldn't be any fire from the sheet metal the warehouse was made from so the only thing they had to worry about was richochet.

"As soon as the way is clear everyone moves for the exit. Keara, stick with us until we're out of the compound and slip away. You've evdaded these guys before, do it again. Get to Megaton get. Get us help. The rest of us, we'll lure them away, hopefully we can make it away but I want no heroics. We're making no last stands, we're not going out in a blaze of glory. We're living for another day unless they start shooting first."

She looked over at Jonathon. She didn't have time to wait, there was no more time for plan Bs. This was it.

"Do it."
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jul 22 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

Jonathan

With the help of Raymond, he managed to move some of the ragfilled crates into a makeshift barrier. To be frank, he would have preferred the help of Alexei over Gramps in this. The Ghoul was by far the strongest member of the company and could have easily lifted a crate all by himself. But Jonathan understood that someone had to keep an eye on the approaching regulators and provide incentive to duck and cover if they came in too fast.

When the mechanic figured they'd moved enough crates, he diverted his attention to Laura who just finished the final touches on the placing of the demolition charge. Once done, she motioned everyone to get behind the cover, while indicating that Jonathan should pick up the detonator.
"Figures, I'm the one who best understands that gadget, no matter how simple I tried to keep it. This isn't the time to risk silly mistakes like turning the safetyknob in the wrong direction and having it snap off."

Jonathan took up the detonator from the table and ducked behind the crates with the rest of the group as Laura went over the final details of her plan. The mechanic didn't like the idea of turning everyone into a decoy for Keara, but he wasn't the tactical expert or the leader here. If Laura thought this was their best option, then that was just how they'd do it. At least she made clear that she wasn't planning on suicide. Finally, she turned to him.
"Do it."

"Right, cover your ears and keep your heads down." Jonathan answered as he flicked the safety and triggered the charge. It was do or die time and he hoped they'd manage to go with do.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 23 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

Keara

Keara didn't cover her ears in time when the charge blew; she was fumbling with the last of her jet. The wall had a gaping hole, though, and they ran through the smoke and dust, out into the wasteland.

Her ears rang horribly, yet she kept on, the new influx of drugs drove her forward, along with the desire to avoid death. It didn't take long for her to get ahead of the others, but she kept going. She knew that she was their last hope in the event of something terrible, so she left them in her dust.

Lucky ran ahead of even her, though he kept looking back, as if to make sure that she was not far behind. She avoided making a direct route to Megaton; that would be a sure-fire way to get caught, so she simply kept running in the direction she had originally chosen. The more space between her and the Regulators, the better, and if their companions somehow evaded them, she would be able to find them again.

Just get away for now, Keara. The rescue plan will come later. Just get away. she reminded herself. She heard gunshots, but kept running, though she zig-zagged a bit now. There was no looking back; she had to keep moving.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jul 24 2011, 04:13 AM
Post #58

Knower
Group Icon

Alexei

When the bomb exploded and made a hole in the wall, so did Alexei's RPD. He pointed just above their heads, as Laura commanded, and the Regulators took cover where they could. In the past, he had dealings with those Regulators as his mentor was formerly one of them. Plus, he still had his Duster. Just like Grandfather Raymond, he was reluctant to kill those he once called friends. But he was also determined not to die, if things come to that.

"C' Nami Bog," he said to the Company before firing more rounds at the Regulators. Since Grandfather was reluctant and Keara sent as an envoy to the rest of the Company in Megaton, Alexei has seemingly become the only one who would cover their tactical retreat. With that thought in mind, he emptied a whole drum magazine at the Regulators, who now returned fire.

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
grif11
post Jul 28 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #59

Finder
Group Icon

Raymond

As Alexei fired at the Regulators who fired back at the Warehouse, Raymond took up his rifle reluctantly and aimed carefully at one of the Opposing Snipers. "This should stop them poking out as much," he said to Alexei beside him, and fired a bullet at the snipers hat, knocking it off and sending the sniper rolling behind a rock for cover. One less sniper for you to deal with, Alexei.

"Laura, whats next?" Raymond shouted, turning around to see her. "We can't hold them back forever, and we were already low on bullets!"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Jul 29 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #60

Agent

Laura was rummaging in her satchel, the detonation from the wall hadn't done much damage to the warehouse, but in the glow of the light she'd spotted something off to the side that she hadn't seen before. With a small noise of triumph she pulled a small carefully wrapped bundle from the mess of wires and explosives she carried with her.

"We fall back, and we do it fast. I'll buy us some cover." Laura tolled Raymond, pulling her revolver from it's holster with a silent prayer that she'd remembered to load it. On the third trigger pull the magnum's deep booming voice rang out, the bullet punching a hole in a dark grey barrel across the room, spilling it's dark viscious contents onto the floor.

Grabbing a piece of corrugated iron Laura held it bewteen her and the regulators and she pelted across the warehouse, her makeshift shield ringing and shaking as buckshot and shells bounched off and punched through it. With a final slide Laura found herself behind the stack of barrels, and with a final shove of her should she sent them rolling across the front of the warehouse.

Unwrapping the bundle of rags she'd taken from her satchel she gingerly removed a long stick of a waxy purple material. The faded wrapping that had covered it was worn away in places, and the wax was weeping. Taking a lighter from her pocket Laura watched as the rolling barrel spilt the gasoline across the floor of the warehouse, soaking crates and bodies alike.

"Everyone! Move!" she screamed at her team, before lighting the fuse at the top of the experimental incendiary, and hurling it into the gasoline. As the liquid lit with a whoosh of heated air the varying bodies and crates that were in the fire's path began to burn, sending thick plumes of greasy black smoke into the warehouse.

Laura ran to the hole in the wall, praying that no regulators had moved around to block it yet, and that her team was following. "Everyone into the hills! Keep running, we don't have time to fight back now!"
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:16 AM