202 Pages V « < 171 172 173 174 175 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 4 2018, 03:48 AM
Post #3441

Ancient
Group Icon

Watching an interesting series on Netflix called Dark Tourist. It’s a docuseries about the travels of a New Zealandish journalist as he explores “dark tourist” locations. These places include serial killer tours, exploring irradiated areas from nuclear disasters or weapons testing, and abandoned cities.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 4 2018, 05:23 AM
Post #3442

Ancient
Group Icon

I just saw a vid of "Repercussions of Killing Father in Fallout 4" = has anyone else noticed that baby Sean being held in that glass pen looks exactly like Todd Howard? I think they are even the same size!

This post has been edited by mALX: Aug 4 2018, 05:23 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 4 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #3443

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 3 2018, 10:48 PM) *

Watching an interesting series on Netflix called Dark Tourist. It’s a docuseries about the travels of a New Zealandish journalist as he explores “dark tourist” locations. These places include serial killer tours, exploring irradiated areas from nuclear disasters or weapons testing, and abandoned cities.

Has he tried coming to Detroit yet? wink.gif

I spent the last 3 days watching Seven Samurai again. It is so long, that I find it best to watch in pieces over several days. I still love it. In fact, I think I enjoyed it more than the last time I watched it, about 4 years ago.

What really struck me this time was the fight scenes. They are not at all glamorous or made to look wild or cool like modern action films (especially Asian action films, with all the people flying around though the air). Instead it is ugly, dirty, and messy. Crawling through the mud while be chased by a pack of angry peasants, until one of them sinks a bamboo spear in your back. Being dragged down from a horse and likewise set upon by a horde of farmers with shovels, rakes, sickles, and the like. There is nothing at all cool about being a bandit here, or a samurai.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 4 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #3444

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 4 2018, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 3 2018, 10:48 PM) *

Has he tried coming to Detroit yet? wink.gif

I spent the last 3 days watching Seven Samurai again. It is so long, that I find it best to watch in pieces over several days. I still love it. In fact, I think I enjoyed it more than the last time I watched it, about 4 years ago.

What really struck me this time was the fight scenes. They are not at all glamorous or made to look wild or cool like modern action films (especially Asian action films, with all the people flying around though the air). Instead it is ugly, dirty, and messy. Crawling through the mud while be chased by a pack of angry peasants, until one of them sinks a bamboo spear in your back. Being dragged down from a horse and likewise set upon by a horde of farmers with shovels, rakes, sickles, and the like. There is nothing at all cool about being a bandit here, or a samurai.

One of Khajiit’s all time favorite films.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 10 2018, 07:25 AM
Post #3445

Ancient
Group Icon

Just watched a faux documentary called What We Do in the Shadows on Amazon Prime Video. It follows a group of vampires as they deal with some of the problems of living in a modern day city. Really funny stuff!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 10 2018, 07:27 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Aug 10 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #3446

Master
Group Icon

The second gif of that girl in the beach is actually intentional. She’s the same girl who makes videos of herself publicly tripping over herself in ridiculous and realistic fashion.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 16 2018, 04:02 PM
Post #3447

Master
Group Icon

Stumbled on Pompeii Virtual Walk in 4k at YouTube yesterday, of which I'll link part one. Very impressive. Super video quality even at "lowly" 1080p. (It can be viewed as high as 2160p.) Just a fellow walking the streets of Pompeii, entering many of its individual buildings. As with my TpF episodes commentary is confined to text narrative. No music other than briefly at the beginning. Doesn't need those bells and whistles in my opinion. I'm on episode five. Not sure how many more there are. At least one. You can bet I'll watch 'em all however many there are.

I'm no traveler at all. Yet had I the resources and inclination to travel Pompeii would easily make my Top-10 list of places to see.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Aug 16 2018, 11:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 16 2018, 04:37 PM
Post #3448

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 16 2018, 11:02 AM) *

Stumbled on Pompeii Virtual Walk in 4k at YouTube yesterday, of which I'll link part one. Very impressive. Super video quality even at "lowly" 1080p. (It can be viewed as high as 2160p.) Just a fellow walking the streets of Pompeii, entering many of its individual buildings. Commentary, as with my TpF episodes, commentary is confined to text narrative. No music other than briefly at the beginning. Doesn't need those bells and whistles in my opinion. I'm on episode five. Not sure how many more there are. At least one. You can bet I'll watch 'em all however many there are.

I'm no traveler at all. Yet had I the resources and inclination to travel Pompeii would easily make my Top-10 list of places to see.

The "Virtual" part made me expect the walk to be through a simulation of the original, rather than a real walk through the current ruins. Still a decent job done, even if the hype failed.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 16 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #3449

Ancient
Group Icon

Stumbled on Pompeii Virtual Walk in 4k at YouTube yesterday, of which I'll link part one. Very impressive. Super video quality even at "lowly" 1080p. (It can be viewed as high as 2160p.) Just a fellow walking the streets of Pompeii, entering many of its individual buildings. Commentary, as with my TpF episodes, commentary is confined to text narrative. No music other than briefly at the beginning. Doesn't need those bells and whistles in my opinion. I'm on episode five. Not sure how many more there are. At least one. You can bet I'll watch 'em all however many there are.

I wish he would have paused when he was writing something across the screen so I wouldn't miss seeing something to read what he had written. I also wish he had gone just a bit slower and taken a closer look at the architecture and materials these buildings were built with. I also wish he had made this vid at mid-day when the lighting wouldn't have been so bad for filming. The shadows covered a lot of the viewing in darkness.

Pompeii has always fascinated me; even as a child the story of it and pictures of the excavations. Like you, it was always a place I wanted to see if the opportunity arose (which unfortunately, it never did). How I would have loved to have been an archeologist on that dig when they unearthed that city!

This post has been edited by mALX: Aug 16 2018, 08:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 16 2018, 09:16 PM
Post #3450

Ancient
Group Icon

Those streets are amazing; just so perfectly made and preserved! And to think how long it has been and how much these structures have withstood and are still standing = amazing!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 17 2018, 04:42 AM
Post #3451

Ancient
Group Icon

“Dammit Antony! You had one job!”- Julius Caesar probably

Watching “Season 2” of a dramatized documentary series called Roman Empire. Last season focused on Emperor Commodus while the one Khajiit is watching now focuses on every Gaul’s most hated Roman, Julius Caesar. This one already knew the story very well but the show is fairly well produced. Really don’t like that they seem to whitewash Caesar’s character a bit, but, whatever.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 17 2018, 08:20 AM
Post #3452

Ancient
Group Icon

10 Parks That Changed America: (a fairly short PBS report)

https://www.pbs.org/video/10-changed-americ...hanged-america/

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 17 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #3453

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 16 2018, 02:34 PM) *

I wish he would have paused when he was writing something across the screen so I wouldn't miss seeing something to read what he had written. I also wish he had gone just a bit slower and taken a closer look at the architecture and materials these buildings were built with. I also wish he had made this vid at mid-day when the lighting wouldn't have been so bad for filming. The shadows covered a lot of the viewing in darkness.

Pompeii has always fascinated me; even as a child the story of it and pictures of the excavations. Like you, it was always a place I wanted to see if the opportunity arose (which unfortunately, it never did). How I would have loved to have been an archeologist on that dig when they unearthed that city!

Yeah, field archeologist was long one of my "dream jobs." Sadly, even in my prime I lacked academic aptitude to quality for study in such a career. Too, I image only the cream of the crop ever get to tackle such prestigious sites as Pompeii. I've never been more than a mediocrity at anything I tackle so surely would never be assigned there.

Heh, yeah. I occasionally needed to pause the video and a few times backtrack a bit to read some text narrative that disappeared too quickly. On the other hand, I don't want the screen cluttered with text any longer than absolutely necessary. Reminds me I need to finish up the series.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 17 2018, 03:56 PM
Post #3454

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 17 2018, 09:34 AM) *

Yeah, field archeologist was long one of my "dream jobs." Sadly, even in my prime I lacked academic aptitude to quality for study in such a career. Too, I image only the cream of the crop ever get to tackle such prestigious sites as Pompeii. I've never been more than a mediocrity at anything I tackle so surely would never be assigned there.

Heh, yeah. I occasionally needed to pause the video and a few times backtrack a bit to read some text narrative that disappeared too quickly. On the other hand, I don't want the screen cluttered with text any longer than absolutely necessary. Reminds me I need to finish up the series.

Ditto for everything you said here, laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2018, 10:15 PM
Post #3455

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 17 2018, 10:56 AM) *

I would love to visit a place that fully recreated a place like Pompeii or Thera. Not the entire cities, since that would be crazy. But even just a few streets of with the buildings exactly how they were thousands of years ago would be awesome. To see what people lives were really like would be awesome.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Aug 17 2018, 11:00 PM
Post #3456

Master
Group Icon

A documentary on Luta Livre.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 17 2018, 11:23 PM
Post #3457

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Aug 17 2018, 06:00 PM) *

A documentary on Luta Livre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj-ziJmBSYA

Looks like he just jumps on and clings like a monkey!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 17 2018, 11:38 PM
Post #3458

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 17 2018, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 17 2018, 10:56 AM) *

I would love to visit a place that fully recreated a place like Pompeii or Thera. Not the entire cities, since that would be crazy. But even just a few streets of with the buildings exactly how they were thousands of years ago would be awesome. To see what people lives were really like would be awesome.

Wouldn't that be Awesome? I saw a Youtube vid of a guy that used a computer program to restore one of the larger Pompeii households and went through what a day would consist of in that house based on historical record of that family/house. It was fascinating, and really well done.

But even the ruins were spectacular; and were so far ahead of their time! They had working sewers, below those beautiful streets; working fountains; and even pumps inside homes to move water from the atrium to the different rooms; etc. Amazing how far advanced they were for their time!

Have you ever been to once of those towns that does a whole reenactment of a past time? (like the Renaissance-Faires, etc). Where I grew up they used to reenact the Civil War; I mean the whole town including children got involved! It was a blast!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2018, 11:58 PM
Post #3459

Ancient
Group Icon

We have a Ren Faire here every year. I used to go, until my knee started acting up, and I couldn't take all the walking anymore. It was a lot of fun. I eventually got myself an outfit as well. It felt like going back in time.

I did go to a civil war battle reenactment once, here at Fort Wayne. There were not very people involved. But it was neat. The mock battle itself was amazing. Even just 20 people firing black powder rifles at 20 other guys is a sight to see (and hear). The noise, the smoke. They had an artillery piece that they fired off a couple of times. They only used half the powder of a normal shot, and obviously no cannon ball. But it was literally deafening. I felt it go through my body like a wave washing over me.

I still have the pics. Here are some.

The Union Army

Union caisson

Boom!

Johnny Rebs

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 18 2018, 12:50 AM
Post #3460

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 17 2018, 05:58 PM) *

We have a Ren Faire here every year. I used to go, until my knee started acting up, and I couldn't take all the walking anymore. It was a lot of fun. I eventually got myself an outfit as well. It felt like going back in time.

I did go to a civil war battle reenactment once, here at Fort Wayne. There were not very people involved. But it was neat. The mock battle itself was amazing. Even just 20 people firing black powder rifles at 20 other guys is a sight to see (and hear). The noise, the smoke. They had an artillery piece that they fired off a couple of times. They only used half the powder of a normal shot, and obviously no cannon ball. But it was literally deafening. I felt it go through my body like a wave washing over me.

I still have the pics. Here are some.

The Union Army

Union caisson

Boom!

Johnny Rebs

That’s a pretty sorry showing from the Confederates, but what can Khajiit expect in “Yankeeland”?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 171 172 173 174 175 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:55 AM