7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RG4's PC Modding Crisis Thread
haute ecole rider
post Jan 19 2014, 03:10 AM
Post #81

Master
Group Icon

Renee, what that message from BOSS means is that you turn off DD in Wrye Bash, then build a Bashed Patch which will then merge the resources from DD into the game patch.

Basically what the game patch does is combine resources from multiple mods into one so that you can run more mods than the limit the game allows.

I have a couple of mods in my load list that is the same - the Road Records for Roads of Cyrodiil and Robert's Female Body Replacer, for example. Their resources are merged in the Bashed Patch and that frees up their slots for other mods.

I know, I know. Clear as mud! But it's one of those things that makes sense only after you've done it a few times.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 19 2014, 05:48 AM
Post #82

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 18 2014, 08:51 PM) *

Every modder in the world started out knowing absolutely nothing about modding. We all have to start somewhere, and that is usually the situation of saying "I really wish I could change this." So jump in the pool and have fun. The link I posted on page 2 to the construction set wiki has all the info a first-time modder needs.

Thanks hon. smile.gif For now I'm just going to be a passive modder, just trying what's out there, once I get good and confident then I'll start to maybe go on my own path..

Matter of fact I think I've found what I'm looking for. It's called Progress, and it promises the following:

Base options include:
* Set an overall multiplier for advancement rates
* Edit the bonus given to class skills
* Change the number of skill increases required to gain a level
* Change how many times you can train per level, and how much training costs
* Modify the advancement rates for specific skills

That final one (modify the advancement rates for specific skills) is exactly what I want. smile.gif

I have Windows 8 on my Surface. Assuming it works the same on a Desktop, open the sidebar, and click on Search. Type in Device Manager. It will say 0 items at first. Look down in the list, and you should see it say Apps, Settings, and Files. Click on Settings, and Device Manager will be the first thing that comes up on the list.

What's the sidebar?

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Jan 18 2014, 09:10 PM) *

Basically what the game patch does is combine resources from multiple mods into one so that you can run more mods than the limit the game allows.

Ohhh I think I get it! .. Wow thanks for explaining, I'm going to try this soon as I'm done with my Arena session.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 19 2014, 05:45 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 19 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #83

Spam Meister
Group Icon

You getting all the mods up and running, Renee? wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 19 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #84

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 19 2014, 12:03 PM) *

You getting all the mods up and running, Renee? wink.gif

Yeah, kinda. I was having some probs last night because the game kept immediately crashing after loading, but I was really tired by the point and couldn't figure out what was going on. This morning I thought 'maybe I've got too many mods checked off' and turns out that's just what was happening.

Am going to see if I can mess around again some more today.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 19 2014, 08:34 PM
Post #85

Spam Meister
Group Icon

How many mods do you have now?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 20 2014, 01:10 AM
Post #86

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 19 2014, 02:34 PM) *

Here's the active ones

Realistic Hunger
Darker Dungeons
No POI Compass
See You Sleep (having some probs with this one, though)
Fundament

I removed Camping and Cava Obscura and a couple others because I believe SYS might clash with Camping (they've both got sleep-oriented stuff), and DD is working in my game, so I don't need Cava. My goal is to get to about 40 mods, I think I'd be happy with that. In Skyrim I'm definitely wanting more; perhaps 70 in that game. I want attributes back (dammit!) and also I'm going to be looking for mods that'll liven up (or maybe clam up) those NPCs from their stock, repetitive ... stock, repetitive ... stock, repeti*clunk!* dialog voicings.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jan 20 2014, 01:25 AM
Post #87

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 19 2014, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 19 2014, 02:34 PM) *

Here's the active ones

Realistic Hunger
Darker Dungeons
No POI Compass
See You Sleep (having some probs with this one, though)
Fundament

I removed Camping and Cava Obscura and a couple others because I believe SYS might clash with Camping (they've both got sleep-oriented stuff), and DD is working in my game, so I don't need Cava. My goal is to get to about 40 mods, I think I'd be happy with that. In Skyrim I'm definitely wanting more; perhaps 70 in that game. I want attributes back (dammit!) and also I'm going to be looking for mods that'll liven up (or maybe clam up) those NPCs from their stock, repetitive ... stock, repetitive ... stock, repeti*clunk!* dialog voicings.

That's a light load list, really. I've had up to about 80 mods on my old Mac Pro and they ran fine.

See You Sleep does conflict with some other mods. I couldn't use it with Camping, either. I ended up dumping Camping for Realistic Fatigue, mainly because it let me pick up and carry those bedrolls you find at the bandit camps. It was perfect for my hardy Redguard Not-a-Hero character - she was so used to roughing it in the Legion that the big tent at Ra'sava Camp was sheer luxury for her!

On this play through, I'm using my newer MacBook Pro running Parallels and Win 7. It's working fine, but I do find more glitches. The MBP is only about a year and a half old, so it's got a very decent graphics card in it - maybe too decent! I had to install DirectX 9 to get TES IV to run on this one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 20 2014, 08:37 AM
Post #88

Spam Meister
Group Icon

40 mods? Geez, I donīt think I have that many mods in Oblivion and Morrowind combined! laugh.gif

Youīre like a kid in a candy store, Renee! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 21 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #89

Ancient
Group Icon

I have 122 .esps active in Oblivion, and 174 in Skyrim. That of course does not count all the mods that do not have .esp files, and do straight mesh/texture replacements.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 21 2014, 04:12 AM
Post #90

Councilor
Group Icon

40 just seems like the right number for me. And 70 in Skyrim.

Tonight I'm messing around with a mod called Fundament which is supposed to be able to tweak skill rates. I can't seem to figure what the ReadMe is saying though (it's another one that's written for advanced gamers, it seems). I'm guessing I'm supposed to change values in an .ini file called Skill Rates. Tried changing some stuff around.

Like for instance the default rate for Restoration is 1.0, and the default rate for Conjuration is 5.5. Makes perfect sense to me because Conjuration levels upwards uber-quick. So I had Snaat Rayag cast the default healing spell 10x in a row with the default Restoration settings of 1.0. He wound up leveling from 6-7/8 to just over 8. Then I quit the game, changed the value for Restoration to 5.0, and started the game back up. Cast the default healing spell 10x, but it's still moving at the same speed. The ReadMe directions are so vague, it almost seems like it's written for somebody who already knows stuff.

None of you are familiar with Fundament, eh? I kinda doubt it.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 21 2014, 04:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 21 2014, 09:35 AM
Post #91

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Not me anyway.

Donīt forget to actually play the game once in awhile other than for testing mods laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 21 2014, 04:23 PM
Post #92

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 21 2014, 03:35 AM) *

Donīt forget to actually play the game once in awhile other than for testing mods laugh.gif

Not yet. It's gotta be perfect, the gameworld that is. Been waiting for mods for a long time, Crow. I already know what the vanilla game's like because I've been walking around in it for 5 years now, so what I want is something which is more obviously different.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 21 2014, 04:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 21 2014, 06:04 PM
Post #93

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 21 2014, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 21 2014, 03:35 AM) *

Not yet. It's gotta be perfect, the gameworld that is. Been waiting for mods for a long time, Crow. I already know what the vanilla game's like because I've been walking around in it for 5 years now, so what I want is something which is more obviously different.

Now young grasshopper, you are ready... biggrin.gif

Seriously though, welcome to the same world that people like Wyrd and I live in. I have been planning on picking up Skyrim again for about a week now, and starting up an old character. But I cannot just start the game and begin playing. I wanted to change up her look some to reflect how far she has come as a person. So I spent the last week going over character concepts and experimenting with mods to which would work with the ideas I had, and which would not. I started playing her a few nights ago, and realized I am still not ready yet. I want to go over ideas for a new sword, and a lair for her. And this is with an established character! If she had been a brand new one it would have been much more work!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 21 2014, 06:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jan 21 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #94

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 21 2014, 11:04 AM) *

*snip*
Now young grasshopper, you are ready... biggrin.gif

Seriously though, welcome to the same world that people like Wyrd and I live in. I have been planning on picking up Skyrim again for about a week now, and starting up an old character. But I cannot just start the game and begin playing. I wanted to change up her look some to reflect how far she has come as a person. So I spent the last week going over character concepts and experimenting with mods to which would work with the ideas I had, and which would not. I started playing her a few nights ago, and realized I am still not ready yet. I want to go over ideas for a new sword, and a lair for her. And this is with an established character! If she had been a brand new one it would have been much more work!

I hear both of you, SubRosa and Renee!

I've played the same character four times, trying out different mods and figuring out what she is. It's not as easy as my first PC, who pretty much dominated the vanilla game and needed little more than making Gweden Farm her own after she cleared out the ... umm ... squatters.

Unfortunately her save games on the external drive are corrupted, so she only lives on in Old Habits Die Hard. I'm not sure I want to replay her from scratch . . . she was amazing to play the first time through and I'm not sure if I can capture that feeling again. Yet, I'm anxious to continue her story beyond the Main Quest and have some really cool snapshots from the game for that. And the mods I've tried out for Tallei would be useful for Julian as well - especially the textures and the All Natural system.

Something you might want to consider -- sometimes you will not discover mod conflicts until you actually play the game and follow a quest or another. This happened to me after I loaded about 40 or so mods (most highly endorsed on Oblivion Nexus) and tested each of them. Then when I started playing a small quest mod, I came across a particularly annoying fatal conflict that prevented me from completing the quest until I deactivated the offending mod. The problem is I really, really liked that mod. blink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 21 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #95

Councilor
Group Icon

Yes, that's how I am right now SR: everything's gotta be 'perfect', but also (in my case) obviously different from vanilla. This has been my dream for ... literally years now.

It's snowing outside so I created a second character named Clea Vigge. (get it? Har har..) I only created her, I'm not actually playing her yet. But with her, I'm going to want some boobie mods. -(.)(.)- She's going to be a Bard I think, but she'll have an 'enhanced' chest, is what I mean to say. With Clea, what's going to happen is I'm going to find a (tasteful) boobie mod. I've seen these sort of mods out there, never thought I'd get one for a character, but with Clea Vigge it'll be just perfect.

Good luck with your new Skyrim mama.

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Jan 21 2014, 12:40 PM) *

Unfortunately her save games on the external drive are corrupted, so she only lives on in Old Habits Die Hard. I'm not sure I want to replay her from scratch . . .

This sounds scary. What did you wind up doing about these corrupted game saves? I guess you just said it: you needed to restart from scratch. How did they wind up getting corrupted, though?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 21 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #96

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I love how you come up with your characterīs names!

To quote dear mALX: SPEEW!! rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jan 22 2014, 03:33 AM
Post #97

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 21 2014, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Jan 21 2014, 12:40 PM) *

Unfortunately her save games on the external drive are corrupted, so she only lives on in Old Habits Die Hard. I'm not sure I want to replay her from scratch . . .

This sounds scary. What did you wind up doing about these corrupted game saves? I guess you just said it: you needed to restart from scratch. How did they wind up getting corrupted, though?

Well, I suspect a brownout from one of the numerous storms we get through here. All my electronics are plugged into surge suppressors, but nothing is ever 100% . . .

In any case, I had my Windows partition on my Mac Pro run a disc diagnosis and it removed a bunch of corrupt files from the data folders as well as fixed a bunch of others. So I suspect the "backups" I had on the drive are no longer backups. However, I was able to copy over the saved games and the screenshots from the external drive to the desktop. I've formatted the external drive (from the Windows partition, natch) and am setting it up to be the backup drive for Windows (only for the game files, though, not for the entire drive).

Now I'm off to finish setting up Oblivion on the Mac Pro. I'm reorganizing the entire Oblivion system on the Windows partition so I can have a separate folder for each game with its own mod load list. That means installing OBMM, Wrye Bash, CS, TES4Edit and TES4LODGen in each folder. All the other mods will be stored in their own folder and be available to each game.

Sometimes all the work ahead of play makes the play worthwhile. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 22 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #98

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Jan 21 2014, 09:33 PM) *

Sometimes all the work ahead of play makes the play worthwhile. biggrin.gif

Yup, this exactly. smile.gif On console all you gotta do is plug 'n' play, but with PC there's a lot more tweaking involved. And at some point, I'll just sorta 'know' when the tweaking is done and I can finally start playing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 22 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #99

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 22 2014, 02:24 PM) *

... And at some point, I'll just sorta 'know' when the tweaking is done and I can finally start playing.

1) Tweaking is NEVER done. There's always something that might be better if you just ...
2) The only way you find out what wants tweaking next is to play, then tweak, then play, then tweak.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 23 2014, 01:23 AM
Post #100

Councilor
Group Icon

I like your Warrior Nuns mod, ghastley, and also the Gweden Farm one. I might have to eventually get both of those.

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:26 PM