Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TK's Mod Questions Thread, Got mod problems, or are you just lost with a tool?
Renee
post May 15 2020, 05:05 PM
Post #421

Councilor
Group Icon

Sweet! cake.gif Love when we figure stuff out.

All of that should also suffice for Fallout 3 and maybe New Vegas, too. Except I think Fallout doesn't use GetIsPlayableRace. And also, Windows 8 or 10 is tricky to use with the GECK, mostly because some menus won't be visible unless you drag them onscreen. rolleyes.gif

For Skyrim, what ghastley and I just taught would be like 3x as complicated. laugh.gif Yet for Oblivion, we can type all of that from memory because it's such an easy game to mod dialog / quests for.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lopov
post May 15 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #422

Master
Group Icon

And we're moving on...what's the condition to check if some NPC is dead? I want to trigger the next quest stage, when a certain NPC dies. I thought that GetDead will do the trick, but it doesn't seem to be working.

EDIT: Figured it out that it's done via scripts. I checked in the CS how Rufio's death is handled.

This post has been edited by Lopov: May 15 2020, 08:24 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 15 2020, 10:20 PM
Post #423

Councilor
Group Icon

GetDead works in Fallout 3 and Skyrim, but you're right, I don't remember using it for Oblivion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 10 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #424

Ancient
Group Icon

So I’m currently in the middle of modding hell; you know, that period of time where you aren’t playing the game but rather just checking to see if mods are working and then discover things that aren’t cooperating? Well I’ve got several graphical mods and something somewhere just isn’t playing nice. I’m running alternate start by ship (which itself is janky as all hell, but it works) and the test character starts in Anvil. She walks into the city from the gate to the docks, and the cobblestone streets are covered in grass texture! sad.gif
Now I get to uninstall the game, reinstall it, and one by one add back the graphics mod to see which one is causing the issue. Joy. dry.gif

*Edit: Update*
Turns out it was the ENB preset I was using. I was really surprised this was the case as the files for the preset didn’t appear to replace any of the texture files.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 11 2020, 07:23 AM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 13 2020, 01:33 AM
Post #425

Ancient
Group Icon

Anyone here use Oblivion Reloaded? I know Decrepit posted in another thread that he does but I was curious if anybody else here uses it too. Would love to discuss opinions on it.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
macole
post Aug 13 2020, 04:55 AM
Post #426

Mouth
Group Icon

I am using Oblivion Reloaded Version: 6.2.0.0. My opinion of it is mixed. The game is looking really good with. It has a lot options that can be toggled on or off, which is nice. I found that the options dealing with combat and other third person animations did not perform well. So I shut them off or at least tried to. I found the documentation to be either confusing or lacking in detail to do what I wanted. I was trying to get rid of the third person combat somersaults and barrel-rolls. Didn't quite succeed. Don't use 3rd-person much for my character but it is funny to see my companions spinning in the air while fighting.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 13 2020, 06:22 AM
Post #427

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Aug 12 2020, 10:55 PM) *

I am using Oblivion Reloaded Version: 6.2.0.0. My opinion of it is mixed. The game is looking really good with. It has a lot options that can be toggled on or off, which is nice. I found that the options dealing with combat and other third person animations did not perform well. So I shut them off or at least tried to. I found the documentation to be either confusing or lacking in detail to do what I wanted. I was trying to get rid of the third person combat somersaults and barrel-rolls. Didn't quite succeed. Don't use 3rd-person much for my character but it is funny to see my companions spinning in the air while fighting.

Yeah I haven’t tried any of the gameplay stuff, well besides messing around with the acrobatics stuff because it starts with that on by default. I am fairly sure I managed to turn that off from the OR.ini, though I’m not entirely sure about that. The flippy dodgey stuff might be good for a heavily acrobatics based character but certainly not for every character.

Graphics. Oh boy, that has been frustrating. It does make the game look better... in some ways. Now, as far as understanding all the intricacies of graphics settings and whatnot, I will never claim to be even marginally knowledgeable about the subject. Maybe I didn’t set something just right, but I have some serious issues with the way the mod makes the game look. First off, it does seem to make the resolutions better and more detailed, but it’s made the game world ludicrously vibrant. One of my test characters started off in Anvil, and let me tell you, with this mod active the region really lives up to the “Gold Coast” epithet. Everything is bathed in a very very vibrant gold color. That I could live with. The next problem not so much, as water just disappears when you approach it. I found that you can turn off ripples in the video settings and it stops the water disappearing, but that’s part of the base game; taking it away isn’t an improvement. So for this I found that you can turn water shaders from the mod off and it works fine with Enhanced Water. Lastly I get a lot of weird flickering and effects sometimes. Shadows from torches dance in weird ways and one time in the intro sewers I had a “smoke screen” wall pop up where the zombie comes down the corridor. Oh, and my frame rates drop really bad. So, like I said, maybe I’ve got some settings in the mod I need to look at, but honestly I’ve got the game looking pretty good with just Qarl’s and other texture improvements and an ENB setting I found that I like (Candid Reborn), so I may not bother reinstalling OR.

Sorry for wall o’text.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 27 2020, 11:13 PM
Post #428

Ancient
Group Icon

How does one add new clothing items to the game using the base models but recolored textures? Like, for instance, turning “black pants” into an obtainable and wearable “white pants” item.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 27 2020, 11:14 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 28 2020, 12:07 AM
Post #429

Ancient
Group Icon

First you need to find both the models and textures used by the item, and rename both. Recolor your texture with the graphics editor of your prefrence.

Then open the model with Nifskope. Drill down through every node that starts with the name NiTriShape. Typically there will be subfolders in some or all called something like NiTexturingProperty and a subfolder in that called NiSourceTexture. You will find a line in there that gives the directory and name of the texture file associated with that node of the mesh file. Change it to match your texture.

It is not enough to do this once. You have to go through all the nodes in the mesh to find every instance. There might be half a dozen or more.

Edit: I forgot to add you also need to create a new record for the item in the Geck. Just copy the original and give it a different name. Also change it to point to your new .nif file.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2020, 01:12 AM
Post #430

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 27 2020, 06:07 PM) *

First you need to find both the models and textures used by the item, and rename both. Recolor your texture with the graphics editor of your prefrence.

Then open the model with Nifskope. Drill down through every node that starts with the name NiTriShape. Typically there will be subfolders in some or all called something like NiTexturingProperty and a subfolder in that called NiSourceTexture. You will find a line in there that gives the directory and name of the texture file associated with that node of the mesh file. Change it to match your texture.

It is not enough to do this once. You have to go through all the nodes in the mesh to find every instance. There might be half a dozen or more.

Damn. I just deleted NifScope because I wasn’t using it, lol.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2020, 06:58 AM
Post #431

Ancient
Group Icon

Ok new question related to this. Say I got the hypothetical “whitepants.nif” and the “whitepants_gnd.nif” targeted to the custom texture. However, in the normal game files the texture is always accompanied by a “xitemnamex_n.dds” file. What is that file and how do I make one for my new texture?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 28 2020, 07:47 AM
Post #432

Ancient
Group Icon

There can be up to four texture files associated with a mesh.

Diffuse Maps [*.dds] are your base texture, how it looks without applying any lighting or other things to it.

Normal Maps [*_msn.dds or *_n.dds] are a form of bump mapping. It is a way that you can make a 2 dimensional picture appear to have 3 dimensional qualities, or "bumps". It's done by applying the effects that lighting would have on bumps or other 3-D artifacts, even though the mesh itself might be flat.

Specular Maps [*_s.dds] determine how shiny a texture is. Those are the _s files. The blacker they are, the less shiny those regions are.

Sub Surface Texture Mapping (or Subsurface Scattering) [*_sk.dds] is a way to determine how much light penetrates a translucent surface, scatters underneath, and reemerges somewhere else. It gives a much more realistic look to textures.

More deets are here.

When it comes to the normal maps, you can use the original ones in your new mod so long as all you are doing is recoloring it. If you really want to go the extra distance you can make copies of the original _n.dds files, rename them, and manually add them to your .nif as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #433

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 28 2020, 01:47 AM) *

There can be up to four texture files associated with a mesh.

Diffuse Maps [*.dds] are your base texture, how it looks without applying any lighting or other things to it.

Normal Maps [*_msn.dds or *_n.dds] are a form of bump mapping. It is a way that you can make a 2 dimensional picture appear to have 3 dimensional qualities, or "bumps". It's done by applying the effects that lighting would have on bumps or other 3-D artifacts, even though the mesh itself might be flat.

Specular Maps [*_s.dds] determine how shiny a texture is. Those are the _s files. The blacker they are, the less shiny those regions are.

Sub Surface Texture Mapping (or Subsurface Scattering) [*_sk.dds] is a way to determine how much light penetrates a translucent surface, scatters underneath, and reemerges somewhere else. It gives a much more realistic look to textures.

More deets are here.

When it comes to the normal maps, you can use the original ones in your new mod so long as all you are doing is recoloring it. If you really want to go the extra distance you can make copies of the original _n.dds files, rename them, and manually add them to your .nif as well.

So how do I associate a map to the nif?

Also, what if my new “white pants” are making the test character’s lower body invisible? sad.gif

*edit: update*
There’s something about the texture the game isn’t liking. I can apply the texture to the original item and it works just fine, but when I apply it to the new item, it turns that part of the body invisible. Also when the item is dropped on the gameworld ground, the mesh looks right but it’s a uniform dark purple color.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 28 2020, 04:46 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2020, 05:43 PM
Post #434

Ancient
Group Icon

Got it! I’m not sure what was wrong with the name of the _n.dds file but something was off with it which was keeping it from showing up in the game. In any case, there is now an obtainable recolored version of the female Quilted Doublet called Dark Doublet!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 28 2020, 05:45 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 28 2020, 10:22 PM
Post #435

Ancient
Group Icon

Excellent! The Dark Doublet sounds like a pair of Vaudville singers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2020, 10:35 PM
Post #436

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 28 2020, 04:22 PM) *

Excellent! The Dark Doublet sounds like a pair of Vaudville singers.

Lol

I guess now I should make a matching skirt and shoes...

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 1 2020, 07:53 PM
Post #437

Councilor
Group Icon

This one is a toughie, for me. It's a script question.

So I have this mod idea I'm building in Fallout 3, but I suppose the answer to my upcoming question could be derived from Oblivion scripting too, since that is the earlier game. In my idea, I am enhancing Fallout 3's crime system. Fallout 3 has GetMinorCrimeCount and GetMajorCrimeCount, and these include stealing, pickpocketing, trespassing, assaults, and murder. Those crime counts are the two main ways the game recognizes crime, as long as an NPC witnesses us committing that crime.

So all of that works. We commit a crime, an NPC witnesses this, and this causes an officer to try arresting us. In my mod idea those CrimeCounts don't go away, not unless we leave the cell where the crime committed, and stay away for at least 72 in-game hours.

So here is where I am stuck. I've got it so that the officer arrests us, we pay caps, and then we walk away. Let's say I tried to steal something, and got witnessed by an NPC resident. GetMinorCrimeCount is at 4.00. Now, if I commit another crime, let's say I get witnessed again, and now GetMinorCrimeCount is 6.00. But the officer doesn't react. Because she already reacted to the original crime. She can't "see" any new crimes committed.

I know there is a script which has a +1 function or something similar. I am trying to write something like this....

If (GetMinorCrimeCount +1)
aaaMegatonOfficerRef.AddScriptPackage aaaResistArrestPackage
EndIF

... and I know the +1 part is incorrect. Any idea (*cough*... ghastley...or anybody) how to make this addition happen?

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 1 2020, 07:55 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 1 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #438

Councilor
Group Icon

Arithmetic Operator, that is what + is called in GECK scripting. I just need to see an example of one in a script, before I spend hours wasting my time on writing it up wrongly. panic.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 2 2020, 02:36 AM
Post #439

Councilor
Group Icon

I assume that FO3 is like Oblivion, with continuously-running scripts.

What you'd do is to save the CrimeCount when it changes, and check it at the start of the script.

If (GetMinorCrimeCount == SavedMinorCrimeCount)
return ;<= i.e get out and do nothing until it changes
endif
SavedMinorCrimeCount = GetMinorCrimeCount ;<= save the new value, which only happens if it changed
Do everything else needed when it increases

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 2 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #440

Councilor
Group Icon

Sweet! I will let you know if this works. I've been basically going about this semi-blind, scripting and scripting until something works. But this is going about it semi-blind, and I'm trying to shave some time this weekend. If what you're saying works, I'll be DONE!!! cake.gif Done, I say!

There is no SavedMinorCrimeCount in Fallout 3; matter of fact the crime system in FO3 is half-baked compared to Elder Scrolls games. There is no such thing as SetCrimeGold to 0, for instance (or anything equivalent). If there was something like this, even from the FOSE team, making this mod would be so much easier.

In the vanilla game, if we commit a crime and are witnessed, NPCs will either fight or flee us, and that is how Beth left it. So I am trying to enhance this.And I can try various things, especially with that Return statement.

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 2 2020, 01:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:20 AM