Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Story of the Listener, My first fanfic.
Kayla
post Apr 22 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #1

Agent

Ok. This is my first fanfic. happy.gif I'm a tad nervous about it, but I'd like to see what everyone thinks.
----
I sat quietly on a bench beside the pawnshop on the docks of Anvil, staring out over the dark Abecean Sea. Through the clouds in the sky, I could see that the sun was setting. A chilly wind blew my black robes and hood as though they were weightless, but the persistent breeze was unsuccessful in penetrating the black light armor I wore underneath my robes. I listened to the fragmented conversations of the dock workers, and watched as people hastily walked by, fearing that it would soon begin to storm.

Before I knew it, the sun had set completely. The Nord who owned the shop I was sitting in front of walked outside. He locked up his shop and began to make his way down the stone street toward the resident area of Anvil. He hadn’t even noticed that I’d been sitting just feet away from him. I heard the Nord loudly greet someone before he walked completely out of earshot. Soon after, an Orc walked by. I studied the Orc carefully as he passed. He walked with a slight limp and had a large scar on his left arm, and just as I expected, he opened the door to the dockside warehouse and went inside.

It was completely dark now. Neither sun nor moon shone through the twisting clouds in the sky. The wind picked up, carrying moisture in it.

I stood and made my way to the back door of the warehouse. I picked the lock and the door swung open. Quickly I slipped into the thick darkness inside. The warehouse was fairly big but, a few candles on a large table in the middle of the room revealed the Orc’s position. He was busily unpacking things from crates and setting them on shelves. He was completely unaware of my presence, and I preferred it that way. I slipped through the shadows toward him. In the darkness I felt strong, invincible, and incapable of fear. I observed his movements, the way his body flowed with each contraction and relaxation of each muscle. I watched every joint in his body, paying close attention to his spinal cord. The Orc was old, and moved as though he’d been doing hard labor his entire life. Almost every movement looked as though it pained him.

As soon as I was sure of his reactions, I silently unsheathed my ebony blade, a gift from a dear friend, and I closed in on the Orc. He was still unaware of my being there, even though I was soon right behind him, almost breathing down his neck. In one quick motion, I lunged out of the shadows, grabbed the Orc with my right arm, wrapping it around the front of his neck and shoulders, then I brought my left hand up and stabbed him right in the jugular vein. The poor old Orc didn’t even have a chance to yell. I let go of the body letting it fall limply onto the wooden floor of the warehouse. I waited for his gurgled breathing to stop, then I snuffed the candles out and exited the warehouse the same way I’d come in.

(Expect updates!)

--------------------
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 22 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Agent

I walked through Anvil, enjoying the young night and the cool breeze, wondering if it was going to rain. I reached the city gates, and exited. A guard wished me safe travels as I walked to the local stable. I nodded in response to his kind gesture, and I opened the stable gate. My black horse, Shadowmere, which was also a gift from a dear friend, was waiting patiently for me. When she saw me, she walked to me and affectionately nuzzled my hand. I patted her on the head and climbed onto her back. I had a long journey ahead of me.

Shadowmere made traveling fast, and I arrived in Cheydinhal just as the sun was rising. I stabled my horse and walked into town. I smiled, as it was raining in Cheydinhal. I took off my hood and let the rain drench my face, and my long brown hair.

I approached the east wall of the city and climbed down the well in the back yard of the old, abandoned house. As I set foot on the stone floor, I felt as though I was home. It didn’t take me long at all to find Arquen. She was an Altmer, and she towered over my Breton stature.

“Ah. Listener, you’ve returned.” She said, smiling. “I’ve heard of your success.” She placed 300 coins in my hand.
“Listener, you know that as a member of the Black Hand, you don’t have to kill anymore if you don’t want to.”
I pocketed the coins and looked at her. “Killing is invigorating. I enjoy serving our Dread Father.”
She nodded. “As you wish, sister. There will always be contracts open for you. The sanctuary is quickly filling up once again. We have new recruits. It will be up to you to watch their progress. We could use some more Speakers.”
I nodded. “Don’t be too hasty to fill the slots, Arquen. We need loyalty and experience in a Speaker.” I said before I walked off to the living quarters to have a bite to eat.

I was disappointed to find that the sanctuary had very little food. All we had left was carrots and lettuce. But we still had quite a bit to drink. I munched on a carrot and drank some mead as I smiled at the thought of sending one of the murderers out to shop for food.

A muscular Imperial man approached me, along with a short, bright-eyed Imperial woman, both wearing Dark Brotherhood armor. They sat down across from me.
“Excuse us, Listener. We’re sorry to interrupt you, but we were just curious about something.” The woman said.
I noticed that all the other murderers in the living quarters were staring at us.
I smiled. “No need to apologize. Are they curious about the same thing?” I asked, jerking a thumb back at all the others.
The man smiled. “Nothing escapes your observation, most revered Listener. Yes. They are curious about the same thing.”
I laughed. “Well, have them come over here and sit with us.”
I liked the newer murderers in the sanctuary, but I didn’t like how they treated me as though I was superior to them. With a wave of the Imperial man’s hand, the other murderers of the sanctuary came and took a seat at our table.
“Now, tell me what is on your mind.” I said.
The Imperial woman cleared her throat. After hesitating for a moment, she asked, “Was Lucien Lachance really a traitor?”
Her question surprised me.
“Who told you that he was?” I asked.
They all looked nervously at each other.
Finally, an Argonian spoke up.
“Arquen told us.”
The others nodded in agreement. That statement confused me, but I saw truth in their eyes and believed them. I wondered why Arquen would say something like that… Especially now.
“No.” I answered. “Lucien Lachance was a good man, a loyal son of the Night Mother and servant of Sithis. Why Arquen would tell you that he was a traitor is beyond me. Especially since Lucien is now with our Night Mother and Dread Father.”

The murderers looked a little confused. I could tell that they were trying to decide who to believe. I too was confused. Arquen and I had promised that we would not speak of what had happened to the Brotherhood. This agreement especially emphasized that the new recruits were to know nothing about it.

I spent the rest of the night thinking about what to do. I wanted to confront Arquen about breaking our agreement. I wanted to tell the new recruits about what had happened to Lucien. But, in my line of work, I had learned that silence always paid off. I fell asleep soon after resolving to keep my mouth shut for the time being.

This post has been edited by Kayla: Apr 23 2006, 07:53 PM

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Konji
post Apr 22 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

Wow, first to comment on this great [I]great[/I} story!

Amazingly talented writing, vyer descriptive without baffling the reader and an interesting first two posts, yet the story has still to unfold itself. smile.gif

I'm guessing your female in real life - only they could called Shadowmere 'she'! wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
minque
post Apr 22 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #4

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Yes...a truly good story is developing here.....great work Kayla!

Just consider the paragraphing a bit more.....it will make it more readerfriendly!

Have a cake.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 05:55 AM
Post #5

Agent

Thankee thankee! happy.gif

More paragraphing.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 06:08 AM
Post #6

Agent

Another update! happy.gif
----

I woke up and looked around. I was in a graveyard.
“What the hell am I doing here?” I asked out loud. There was no one else around. Suddenly, I felt an extreme chill. I heard footsteps in the grass behind me. I turned around to see Lucien standing there.
“L-Lucien…”
“Listen to me.” He said. “It’s not over, Sarelle. Believe that.”
I was so cold, I felt as though I were freezing to death. “Lucien, what are you talking about?” I asked.
“Heed my words.” He said, with a sad look in his eyes. Then, he turned and began to walk away, disappearing into the fog before I could call out to him.

I sat up quickly, looking around. I was in bed in the sanctuary. All the other murderers were asleep in beds near me. Cold sweat dripped down my face. I realized slowly that it was a dream. I got out of bed, and found my feet. I was a little dizzy, and I drank a small swig of mead to calm myself. I sat down and steadied my breathing. After a few minute’s reflection over my dream, I stood.

I walked out into the main hall of the sanctuary and then down the hall to my right, toward Arquen’s quarters. I pushed open the heavy doors to see her lying in bed asleep. I entered silently, closing the doors behind me. Then, I cast a night-eye spell. Mutely, I wandered the room, searching drawers and cupboards. I couldn’t find anything.

Then, it hit me. What was I doing here? What was I looking for? “Anything…” I told myself. “Anything to make things make more sense.” At that moment, I spotted a book. Curiously, I picked it up. The name of the book was “Darkest Darkness” and it was a fairly common book. When I set it back down, a small slip of paper fell out of it. I caught it before it floated to the floor, and raised it to look at it. The piece of paper had a strange symbol drawn awkwardly on it. I could have sworn I’d seen it somewhere before. Under the symbol, it said in plain handwriting, “Arquen, High Elf, Cheydinhal”. I studied the paper for a bit longer, trying to make sense of it. “Sarelle, you’ve been through a lot lately. That dream probably meant nothing. You’re getting paranoid over nothing. If you give in to such thoughts, you’ll slowly go insane.” I reasoned with myself. I replaced the piece of paper and the book and walked back to the living quarters.

I knew that I wouldn’t be able to sleep any more, but that didn’t bother me. I had a few things to think over, and soon, I would set out to speak with the Night Mother.

When I entered the living quarters, I was startled to see one of the murderers awake and pacing around the room. He was a Wood Elf, and his ears perked up when I entered.

“Oh, Listener… Excuse me. My restless manner must be making you nervous.” He lowered his head and stood still.
“No, your manner is fine. Tell me what is on your mind.” I replied.
“Listener, it is nothing.” “You’d be sleeping soundly now if it was truly nothing.” I said, smiling.
“Well...” The Bosmer paused. He looked up at me; his bright blue eyes were glazed. “I feel guilty sometimes… Guilty for killing people. I know I shouldn’t. I’m in the Dark Brotherhood and everything…”
“Ah.” I gave an understanding nod. “It’s alright to feel that way. Even the most cold hearted of murderers feel guilty sometimes. However, if you see your line of work as wrong, then maybe the Dark Brotherhood just isn’t for you. There’s no shame in seeing murder as wrong. However, most of us here at the sanctuary don’t see it that way.”
The Bosmer nodded. “Does the guilt go away?”
“First you have to know whether or not your believe killing to be wrong.” I answered. “Develop your own ideas, and everything should become easier for you.”
“Thank you, Listener.” The Bosmer said. “I feel a little better now.”
“You’re welcome. Also, you and the rest of the murderers may call me Sarelle.” I answered.
The Bosmer smiled. “Why aren’t you sleeping soundly tonight, Listener-I mean Sarelle?” he asked.
I sighed. “I wish I could easily tell you.” I said.
The Bosmer looked confused but he didn’t push it any further. “Goodnight.” I said to him.
“Goodnight, Sarelle.” He said, walking back to his bed.

EDIT: I tried a different kinda paragraph style with conversations. I think it makes the story a little more user friendly. Like to know what you guys think though.

This post has been edited by Kayla: Apr 23 2006, 06:09 AM

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 06:21 AM
Post #7

Agent

I decided that I would get an early start to conversing with the Night Mother. As I left the sanctuary, I could tell that it was very early in the morning. It wasn’t early enough for the sun to rise yet, but it would soon. The air was misty and cool, yet heavy with moisture and the stars shone faintly in the light blue sky. The guards were walking relentlessly on their rounds. Most of them looked tired. It was almost time for their shift to end though. I walked to the stable and climbed onto my horse’s back. I directed her toward the city of Bravil and off we went.

As I rode through the early morning, I thought of all the things that had happened recently; the things Arquen and I were not to speak of. Perhaps the Night Mother could make sense of my dream and give me some advice. I watched as the sun rose, cutting through the mist and warming my body. I remembered how cold I had felt in my dream and I was now thankful for the sun.

I arrived in Bravil close to mid-morning. I stabled Shadowmere and walked in through the gates. People in the city were wide awake, taking morning strolls in the golden sunlight, going to taverns for breakfast, and trying to pick up food for the day. The local and famous Argonian, City-Swimmer was busy swimming through Bravil’s large canals.

I walked to the statue near the city’s temple and knelt down at the feet of the lucky old lady.

“Greetings, dearest Night Mother.” I said.
“Ah! Greetings, Listener!” the Night Mother exclaimed. Her voice was soothing to me, as she always sounded wise and full of answers. She quickly got down to business.
“An Imperial by the name of Lunia Valerius has prayed to me. Send Arquen to seek her out. She resides in Leyawiin.”
I remained kneeling. “As you wish, Night Mother.” I replied.
“My Listener has something on her mind, does she not?” The Night Mother inquired.
I looked up at the statue’s face.
“You know that you may speak to me about it.” she coaxed.
I sighed. “Arquen and I agreed not to speak of the turmoil that recently befell the Brotherhood. I have found out that she told the murderers that Lucien was a traitor. And last night, I had this dream… nightmare, rather...”
“Arquen has been a loyal servant of Sithis for a long time. She must have had a good reason for saying what she said. I know that Lucien and Arquen never really got along well. Do not worry about it. However, I would like you to tell me more about this dream.” The Night Mother had a different tone in her voice. This concerned me. “Lucien came to me… he told me that it wasn’t over… whatever that means.”
There was a short hesitation. “Dreams should always be taken seriously, my child. That is how many of us from the other side communicate with you mortals. However, I believe that you just miss Lucien. He was a good friend of yours, correct?” she asked.
“Yes. A dear friend.” I answered.
“The dream is your way of dealing with his absence, Listener. You’ve been through quite a lot lately. Take some time to rest. I shall see you again soon.”
“Thank you, Night Mother.” I said, standing up.
“You’re welcome, my child.”

Even though I walked away, my mind was not at ease.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #8

Agent

I decided to invest some of the money I’d gotten from my last payment into a good breakfast. I ducked into a local tavern and ate a healthy serving of bread and crab meat before heading back to Cheydinhal. On the way back, I encountered an axe-wielding Kajhiit highwayman who demanded 100 coins from me. He didn’t speak very well after I embedded his axe into his skull.

When I arrived at the sanctuary, I approached Arquen and told her of the Imperial female she was supposed to find in Leyawiin. She seemed eager to go, saying that she had to make a quick stop in Bruma at some time during the trip. I agreed to watch the sanctuary while she was out.

After she left, I went into the training room to train my destruction skill. As a Breton, I was well adapted to magic. I had always enjoyed the schools of magic and had been in the Mage’s Guild since I was very young. I had a natural ability for Conjuration. Destruction was my next favorite. The other schools I was fairly good with, though I always tended to struggle in Restoration. Originally, I was from the city of Vivec in Morrowind. I’d come here to study at the Arcane University, which I had easily become a member of.

I’d found the Dark Brotherhood soon after killing an Imperial in the Fighter’s Guild at Bruma in an irrational rage. The drunk had tried to rape me. After the guards would do nothing about it, I snuck into his room and slit his throat in his sleep. Lucien Lachance came to me soon afterward, extending an invitation into the Dark Brotherhood. I accepted.

Since then, killing had been a good hobby of mine. Perhaps I was insane, but murder made me feel alive. And I was good at it.

After a few more hours of training, I went out with the other murderers to get some food. Since there was no food in the sanctuary, we decided that a tavern would suffice. After eating we returned to the sanctuary where I talked to the murderers while mixing potions. Alchemy was another passion of mine. Plus, it helped to bring in some money when I wasn’t performing contracts for the Dark Brotherhood.

I discussed with the murderes my favorite methods of killing, what blades I preferred, what arrows I used when killing with a bow. They were all good conversationalists. There was one that I especially enjoyed: the Imperial male who’d come to ask me about Lucien. His name was Saprius, and I decided I would talk to Arquen about advancing him when she returned from Leyawiin.

I decided to turn in early that night, as I was tired, and my mind was restless. I slept very well, until I awoke to someone shaking me.

This post has been edited by Kayla: Apr 23 2006, 07:55 PM

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Konji
post Apr 23 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

Very good again! That million miles thing seemed to not really fit with the story, and imn the first paragraph of your first update after minque there seemed to be a few too many short sentences

But a really great story, what is that drea all about??

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
minque
post Apr 23 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #10

Wise Woman
Group Icon

It´s good! And I on my behalf like the short sentences..it´s far more easy to read!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #11

Agent

Thanks for the comments so far, guys! smile.gif
----
“Sarelle!” I opened my eyes to a shadowy figure standing over my bed.
I pushed the blankets off me and sat up. It was then that I realized how cold it was in the dark room. I tried in vain to distinguish the features of the shadow’s face as it spoke in a familiar voice.
“Sarelle, you are in danger.”
“Lucien! Lucien, is that you?” I whispered, reaching out to touch the shadowy figure. It caught my hand and held it close.
“Yes. It’s me.” His hand was very, very cold.
“How am I in danger? What’s going on?” I asked.
“Do not ask me that, Sarelle. I cannot tell you how to rewrite your fate. Neither can the Night Mother. Remember that.”
That more than startled me. It made my blood run cold and my heart skip a beat. How did he know that I’d asked the Night Mother for advice?
“Then why the hell are you here?” I asked him. I was very confused, and tired of him trying to feed my paranoia.
“To tell you to be careful, that not all around you serve Sithis as well as you think they do. I also wanted you to know that I’m watching over you.” He let go of my hand and receded into the impenetrable shadows, where he disappeared without a trace.

For some reason, I felt peaceful enough to go back to sleep. Or maybe I just wanted so badly to relax, that I didn’t care at that time what kind of danger I was in. I have to admit that I tried hard not to believe what Lucien was telling me. That was a mistake that almost cost me my life.

Again, I awoke to someone shaking me. It was Arquen. She was breathing heavily. “Listener, we have a big problem.” I got out of bed. “Please, follow me to my quarters. I’ll explain in private.”

Sleepily, I followed her. The murderers in the sanctuary were all up and busily talking to each other about their contracts. I heard that Arquen had given the latest contract to Saprius. Maybe she had seen something in him as well. If he survived the contract, I decided that I would promote him.

When we reached Arquen’s quarters, she closed the door behind us.
“I’m going to be very straightforward with you, as we don’t have much time…” she said, trying to catch her breath.
“The sanctuary in Mournhold has been attacked. By whom, or what, we don’t know. I received this message today.”
She handed me a piece of paper. The sanctuary in Mournhold was quite the large sanctuary. We could not afford to lose it, as it was the only sanctuary we had in Morrowind.
I read the paper. “Sanctuary in Mournhold attacked. Speaker killed. Need help fast.” I pocketed the paper.
“I’ll go there myself.” I said quietly.
“Take one of the murderers.” Arquen urged.
“No. I’ll be fine. Maybe the attackers can be reasoned with. This will be just the vacation I’ve needed.” I replied. I really wanted to be alone with my thoughts. Plus, I hadn’t been to Mournhold in a long time. I wanted to see what had changed. Arquen nodded.
“If you find yourself in over your head, come back here. We will assist you.”
“Thanks.” I replied, opening her door and walking back out into the sanctuary.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #12

Agent

I walked quickly back to the living quarters and prepared my weapons and armor for battle. I took off my Dark Brotherhood armor and checked it for any damage, repairing what little I could find. Then, I put it back on, and threw my Black Hand robe and hood on over it. I threw my quiver and bow on over my shoulder, and sheathed my dagger and elven short sword to my side. Arquen caught me before I left. She handed me a map of the Mournhold sewers that directed me to the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary there.

Immediately, I set off for Morrowind. The border wasn’t extremely far from Cheydinhal, but Mournhold would be quite the journey, though I knew that Shadowmere would make it fast. I watched as the day turned to night, and the deer and wolves turned to scribs and nix hounds. I had always believed that the sunset was extra breathtakingly beautiful in Morrowind.

I was proud of myself when I arrived at the city’s gates a little after nightfall. It didn’t take as long as I had expected. I stabled Shadowmere and walked the last few feet to the city.

I entered the gates and was amazed at the sight of the grand city. The great Chapel of Amalexia loomed magnificently over the city and its residents. The amazing red brick, used to build every wall in the city was still as stunning and eye catching as ever.

Although I hadn’t visited Mournhold in a long time, I still remembered my way around. I walked into the Plaza Brindisi Dorom, decorated with the large statues of Amalexia and Mehrunes Dagon doing battle, and took the door leading into the Godsreach district. From there, I walked toward the western wall, and found the grating leading to the sewers, otherwise known as Old Mournhold.

I had never been in the sewers before and the smell was certainly… interesting to say the least. The map was very specific and I followed it, sneaking around the goblins and other strange creatures that were completely foreign to me. After about an hour, I reached a door labeled, “Manor District”. Apparently, the Dark Brotherhood’s sanctuary was made up of the entire district. I stood outside the door, thinking about what sort of approach I needed to take. Since I was unaware of how hostile the environment would be, I decided that stealth would be the best choice. I opened the door and walked inside.

The vast manor district was made up of nothing but crumbled houses now. But, even though the houses were ruined, they were still beautiful. The intricate artwork on the bricks, and the remaining shapes of the houses intrigued me.

Arquen had written on the map that the central, most intact building, which was once an apartment like structure, was the main base of operations in the sanctuary. Pressing my back against the rough stone walls, and sticking to the shadows, I snuck through the large manor district, slowly making my way toward the central structure. On my way, I spotted quite a few Dunmer. They seemed to be patrolling the place, and were not wearing Dark Brotherhood armor. Still, I could not tell whether they were friend or foe, and I decided to leave them alone.

I reached the target building and noiselessly snuck inside. The place seemed to be completely devoid of life. The beds were empty, weapons lay on the floor, opened, full bottles of beer and ale sat on the tables. It was rather strange.

My boots made no sound whatsoever as I walked over the cracked stone floor, and into the main room. A large desk sat in the middle of the room. Chairs were overturned, and paper lay scattered all over the place. This was the only room that signaled a struggle of some sort. One piece of paper was lying on the desk. It looked oddly out of place in a room full of such obvious chaos. I walked over and picked it up.

“Your target should arrive soon. With, or without the assistance of a murderer, I do not know. I am sure that you will be able to handle things, should she have some help. I have directed her to the main building. Do whatever you wish to the other murderers in the sanctuary.”

-Arquen

My hands began to shake as I felt anger pulsing throughout my body. My vision turned red, and all I could see was Arquen’s signature on the paper. She had set me up for betrayal. Why would she do something like this? What could she possibly gain from it? I had come to trust her… she was the only adviser I had after Mathieu had betrayed us all. The Night Mother told me that she was loyal… Arquen had set up the attack of this sanctuary. She cared nothing for the Brotherhood. What had the attackers done to my brothers and sisters? Who were the attackers?

At that moment, I heard footsteps behind me. I set the paper down, brandished my sword, and turned around to face whoever was there.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #13

Agent

A Dark Elf male, dressed in a long red robe stood about six feet away from me, seemingly looking through me with his fiery eyes. He spoke in a gruff, raspy voice. “Greetings, Listener.”
About ten other Dunmer entered the room at this time.
“My name is Eno Hlaalu. I am the Grandmaster of the Morag Tong. The others that you see with me are also children of Mephala.”
Then it hit me. The symbol that I’d seen on the paper on Arquen’s room… it was the symbol of the Morag Tong! I found the contact letter, and I hadn't even recognized it.

I began to back up, and as I did, they started to close in on me.
“What have you done with the other assassins here?” I asked.
“They’re not dead… Yet.” Eno replied.
“We’d like them to know that their Listener is dead before we kill them.”
I didn’t know what to do. I was greatly outnumbered.
“Mephala shall enjoy this murder.” One of the Dunmer standing behind his Grandmaster said.

My eyes darted from one smiling face to the other. All their eyes, insane with bloodlust were fixed on me. I sighed, shifted my feet, and leapt toward one of them.

In one simultaneous motion, they all drew their swords and daggers, but the one I had singled out had barely unsheathed his blade when mine cut through his flesh and his spinal cord. His body fell onto the stone floor, with his head landing a few feet away. I picked the dagger out of his hand and threw it at another one, hitting him in the eye. He let out a shrill cry of pain, which was quickly silenced by my blade entering his throat. Two down. Nine to go.

I quickly jumped back to avoid a blade to my own throat, but, I ran right into another blade. I felt a sharp pain in my back, knowing almost instantly that I’d been stabbed. I spun around, unsheathing my ebony dagger with my left hand, and jammed it into the Dunmer’s gut. Then, I slashed him across the chest with the sword in my right hand. He fell.

I sheathed my ebony dagger just as I felt a stinging slash on my right shoulder. I lunged at the Dunmer who’d done it, grabbing his neck with my left hand, and snapped it.

Coming up from behind, another Dunmer stabbed me in the left shoulder. I threw him off me, sending him stumbling into another assassin. I realized, to my horror, that his blade was still in my shoulder. Biting my lip to keep myself from screaming, I ripped it out with my right hand, switched it to my left, and stabbed one assassin through his skull.

I kicked another square in the chest, surprising him and knocking him down, then, I put my sword through his heart. One tried to lunge at me, but, I stopped him by throwing a fireball at him. He was incinerated almost instantly.

There were three left. Eno Hlaalu looked almost amazed, but he, as well as I, knew that I was weakening. I’d accumulated a fair amount of wounds. Breathing heavily, I shifted to a defensive position, allowing them to come to me.

Eno smiled, he leapt toward me, but instead of trying to wound me with his sword, he cast a paralyze spell on me. That, I did not expect. I couldn’t move. All I could do was watch as, smiling, the remaining assassins neared me, blades in hand.

Eno was the first to strike with a direct stab to my stomach. The other two stabbed me through my ribcage. The pain was intense, sharp, and burning, but I could do nothing about it. I was going to die. I was going to fail the Dark Brotherhood. Arquen had won and I wasn't any closer to finding out why she even set me up like this. My vision began to blur and I felt extremely cold. Before I knew it, everything went black.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #14

Agent

I edited some of my earlier posts, paragraphing more, so that it is less confusing. I also edited the "million miles" quote, and made the wording a tad more fitting. smile.gif Hope you guys like the rest of the story. happy.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 08:10 PM
Post #15

Agent

When I awoke, I felt very warm. Lucien was standing over me. “Ah. You’re awake. I hope I didn’t disturb you.” He said, calmly.
I was still in pain, and I suddenly remembered what had happened.
“Lucien… am I..?” Lucien was dead. To be with him now, considering my last conscious memories…
“Yes. You’re dead now. But, you’ll live again soon.”
I was confused. “What do you mean?” I asked.
“I entered your body, stopped your heart, gave you signs of death. The Morag Tong thinks they killed you. But, technically, I did. And when I leave your body, I will give you life again. I told you I was watching over you.”
“Have I figured everything out correctly?” I asked. “Was it truly Arquen who hired the Morag Tong to kill me? Are the other assassins safe?”
He nodded. “Yes. You know the situation quite well. Arquen did this. She’s wanted you dead since you became Listener. She wants to overthrow the Night Mother and take full control of the Dark Brotherhood herself. She was loyal, but her belief in Sithis waned. For what reasons, I do not know. But, this is all part of her quest for power.”
He reached out and touched my face. “Our brothers and sisters are safe for now, though the Speaker of the sanctuary has been killed. The assassins are being held in the basement. You must awake soon and free them before the remainder of the Morag Tong can get to them.”
I nodded, understanding my objective clearly.
I looked into his pale blue eyes. “I miss you, Lucien.”
“I miss you too, Sarelle.” He replied.

I sat up. Pain screamed through my body, and I remembered my wounds. I clutched my stomach and looked around. I was back in the sanctuary in Old Mournhold. Lucien was gone. The floor was littered with corpses, and puddles of blood. Eno Hlaalu and his two remaining assassins were nowhere to be found. Painfully, I stumbled up and walked toward the back of the building.

I quickly found an opened trap door, revealing stone stairs leading down into darkness. I climbed down them carefully, holding the wound on my stomach with my left hand, and my short sword in my right. Halfway down the stairs, I could hear Eno Hlaalu’s voice echoing throughout the chamber. Silently, I climbed down until I could see him. His back was turned to me, his two surviving assassins on both sides of him, and he was talking to my brothers and sisters.

“Your Listener is dead. Your organization, quickly falling apart.” He held his bloody sword up for all to see. “Behold! The blood of your beloved Listener!”

I grabbed my bow, and quickly notched an arrow. I aimed for the back of one of his assassins’ heads and let it fly. Almost as soon as I had let go, the assassin fell. The assassin to Eno's right suffered the same fate.

Wide-eyed, Eno Hlaalu turned around. I stood, and descended the rest of the stairs. I stepped out of the shadows and my brothers and sisters let out a triumphant yell.

Eno backed up as I closed in on him.
“You- You’re dead…” he said, panic apparent in his voice.
I closed the gap and grabbed his shoulder, and then I shoved my blade into his stomach.
“As long as our Dread Father watches over me, I will not die.” I replied.
I looked up at the crowd of assassins that followed me, the murderers, my brothers and sisters. I shoved him toward them.
“Rip him to pieces.” I said.
They were happy to oblige to my orders.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #16

Agent

When there was nothing left of Eno Hlaalu, I led my assassins back up to the sanctuary. I appointed a new Speaker for the Mournhold sanctuary, and then told them that there was still much work to be done. They told me that they would tend to my wounds and insisted that I rest before going back to Cheydinhal.

While I rested, they cleansed the sanctuary of the Morag Tong assassins that were left. Even though I didn’t sleep for very long in the Old Mournhold sanctuary, it was the best sleep I’d had in a long time.

After waking up, I said my goodbyes and made my way back up to the surface of the city. My wounds felt a little better, now that they were cleaned and bandaged. It was daylight when I emerged from the sewers. Wasting no time, I found Shadowmere at the stable outside the city and we made our way back to Cyrodiil.

I arrived in Cheydinhal at nightfall. When I entered the city walls, my hands were impatient, eager to wring the blood from Arquen’s corpse. I removed my hood, to calm myself by facing the cool, clear night. I also wanted to ensure that Arquen saw my face clearly before she died.

I reached the Eastern wall and used the secret entrance, making my way down the hidden ladder in the well. This time, when my feet hit the stone floor, I felt as though my home had an intruder in it.

I found Arquen, conversing with the murderers. She looked up and was very surprised to see me standing amongst the living.
“L-Listener! W-Welcome back! I trust your journey to Mournhold revealed some answers?” I could see the perspiration on her face, and the nervousness in her eyes.
I addressed the murderers. “Murderers, step back.”
Confused, they did as they were told.
“Yes. I found some answers, more answers than I expected.” I said, not even trying to restrain the anger in my voice.

I wasn’t expecting Arquen to lunge at me, but she did, grabbing my shoulders and sending a wave of electricity into my body. I screamed in pain, unsheathed my sword, and stabbed her through her heart. She stumbled back.
“You have betrayed me; you have betrayed the Dark Brotherhood by hiring the Morag Tong to slay me.”
Upon hearing these words, the murderers gasped, their wide-eyed faces turning to Arquen, who began to speak in her defense.
“Don’t you understand? Sithis doesn’t exist! The Night Mother can and will be destroyed! We’re weak! I can strengthen us!” she screamed.
“No. You can’t.” I said, slitting her throat.

The murderers were in shock.
“Listener… We had no idea…” Saprius said.
“I know you didn’t.” I answered, staring at Arquen’s lifeless body. “Saprius, I am promoting you to Speaker. What I know of you, I like. I trust that you will take care of this sanctuary and make wise decisions.” Plus, he knew what would happen, should he try and betray us. He’d seen it first hand.
A smile spread across his face.
“Thank you, Listener. I intend to prove to you that you will not regret your decision.”
I nodded. “Do what you will with the body. I need to rest.”

And with that, I walked to the living quarters and collapsed in my bed, and quickly went to sleep.

I was greeted by Lucien’s smiling face.
“You’ve done well.” He said. “You always had a way of making me proud.” Very rarely in his life, had I ever seen Lucien smile.
“What of the future?” I asked him.
He took my hand in his. “The future is always uncertain, but you are a great leader. Our mother, father, and I are all proud to see you in charge of the Dark Brotherhood. But, for now, you are weary. I can see it in your eyes.” He leaned in close to me, and his soft lips met mine.
“Rest, for I will be here when you awake.” He whispered.

The End

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Konji
post Apr 23 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

What the hell do you mean the end????????sad.gif

I love the "No, you can't" thing. smile.gif

Don't let it end!

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
minque
post Apr 23 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #18

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Konradude @ Apr 23 2006, 08:54 PM)
What the hell do you mean the end????????sad.gif

I love the "No, you can't" thing. smile.gif
Don't let it end!

Tssss Konrad! watch your language! tongue.gif
But I do agree......Don´t end it just like this.....we want a continuation

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Apr 23 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

That was fantastic. I loved your personalities. Great work.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Kayla
post Apr 23 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #20

Agent

biggrin.gif Thanks, guys!

I shall think of something more for a continuation then. happy.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:18 PM