Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gaming trends you would prefer died off..., ...what do you want the modern game industry to stop doing?
Cardboard Box
post Nov 23 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #21

Finder
Group Icon

There's several trends in online games alone that are starting to annoy me, because they've been done to death, done back to life, then done to death again and now OH GOD THEY'RE COMING BACK TO LIFE AGAIN
  1. Mario-themed games (or indeed anything with ripped Mario assets)
  2. Friggin' zombies!!
  3. Angry Birds clones
  4. Icy Tower clones
  5. Bejeweled-style "match-3" clones
  6. Physics removers
  7. Launcher-and-upgrade games
  8. Direct ripoffs of any tutorial
  9. ESPECIALLY those cookie-cutter maze games whose sole mechanic is "don't touch the walls"
  10. Any game that trumpets being "uber-hard"
  11. Any game that IS uber-hard (c/f "Frustration Fuel")
  12. Dress-up games - apparently boys do stuff, girls just hang out in closets
  13. Any game featuring those ugly friggin' 3D smilies
  14. Tower Defence
  15. ESOL types who don't pass their blurb or in-game English to a human proofreader (first impressions count)
  16. Escape games (this coming from an idiot who actually paid money for the Myst series, which are really just escape games on CD-ROM)

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 13 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #22

Spam Meister
Group Icon

With Fallout 4 out I thought Iīd resurrect this one. Also because I just found it... biggrin.gif

Yeah, you know Iīm gonna say it. Steam. For the love of singleplayer offline games would you stop with the Steam!!

*deep breaths*

Sure, I get it. Itīs convenient. It provides with patches and updates and 90% off and so on. But what I donīt like, and I have said this before, is being forced to use it just to play a game. Iīm already on two forums, plus ebay and online mail service and I used to have youtube as well before google+ showed its ugly face. I donīt want yet another place where I need a user name and password when, again, I just wanna play a new game. Not to mention if Steam ever tanks or gets badly hacked my games go bye-bye. Make it optional, not mandatory.

I also donīt like that multiplayer seems to shove singleplayer to the side these days. The best way for me to enjoy a game is when I play it alone and not with other people, whether theyīre in the same room or in China. Thereīs a place for both and neither should exist at the expense of the other.

My three cents and all. Please donīt bash me. Youīre welcome to disagree in a nice manner.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 13 2015, 12:48 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 13 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #23

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I hate Steam too. The main reason is simple, you never really own your games. If Steam goes in the toilet ten years from now (because of poor business decisions, competition, etc.) there's no guarantee they'll untether the massive number of games tied to their service and actually let you keep playing them.

You have to realize, some things people thought would always be safe from failure are gone now. From big game companies that eventually failed to the collapse of the Soviet Union, nothing is immune to the passage of time.

I take issue with any game provider that requires a constant connection to an online hub to even turn it on.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 13 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

If you're buying the sort of games that you play once and "beat", then Steam is a good proposition. You'd have sold the disk to somebody else if it was sold the old way, so Steam providing it a lower price and eliminating your need for a buyer is a decent trade-off.

However, the TES games are the kind you keep playing for years. There are people here currently playing Arena. That's not the same match.

And don't get me started on the whole paid mods attempt. I'm waiting to see what happens when the FO4 tool is released. I expect it to be totally controlled through Steam Workshop, using exactly the same model they tried to introduce for Skyrim, and failed. It might get shot down again, as the Nexus already has free mods (textures and other replacement-only things so far).

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 13 2015, 10:43 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 13 2015, 03:45 PM) *

And don't get me started on the whole paid mods attempt. I'm waiting to see what happens when the FO4 tool is released. I expect it to be totally controlled through Steam Workshop, using exactly the same model they tried to introduce for Skyrim, and failed. It might get shot down again, as the Nexus already has free mods (textures and other replacement-only things so far).

Bethesda has already said that FO4's mods won't be available through Steam Workshop. They will be done in-house from Bethesda.Net. Whether that means they won't allow mods to be hosted on any other site I do not know. They also plan to make mods available for the consoles too, not just the PC.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 13 2015, 10:52 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 13 2015, 04:43 PM) *

Bethesda has already said that FO4's mods won't be available through Steam Workshop. They will be done in-house from Bethesda.Net. Whether that means they won't allow mods to be hosted on any other site I do not know. They also plan to make mods available for the consoles too, not just the PC.

Yes, I've been watching to see if they cut Nexus out. I guess it will be January/February before we will know for sure.

What my worry with Steam is that they have displayed an extreme greed on three occasions since Bethesda ran Skyrim through them; and our games are locked into their good will. Who is to guarantee they don't decide we should pay a monthly fee for using their service?

I have been wondering when they will drop that axe on us; and would all but bet it will happen one day in the distant future.

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 13 2015, 10:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 13 2015, 10:55 PM
Post #27

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 13 2015, 10:52 PM) *

What my worry with Steam is that they have displayed an extreme greed on three occasions since Bethesda ran Skyrim through them; and our games are locked into their good will. Who is to guarantee they don't decide we should pay a monthly fee for using their service?

If you have thought it, so have they, and thatīs all Iīm gonna say about that... wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 13 2015, 10:57 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 13 2015, 04:55 PM) *

If you have thought it, so have they, and thatīs all Iīm gonna say about that... wink.gif

Exactly my point. If it hit my brain once, it hit theirs many times first and long before I could ever have thought of it.

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 13 2015, 10:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 14 2015, 12:50 AM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 13 2015, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 13 2015, 04:55 PM) *

Exactly my point. If it hit my brain once, it hit theirs many times first and long before I could ever have thought of it.

On the other hand, considering how long it's taking Valve to get around to Half Life 3, even if they have had the idea, they'll probably never getting around to doing it laugh.gif

And on the subject of gaming trends I want to die off:

Dumbing Down. I'm not referring to the player base, as is so often shouted whenever the term is brought up, but the removal of functioning systems in games and their replacement with simpler systems which do not do the same job because they're too simple. Off the top of my head examples: The perk system and loss of attributes in Skyrim, Fable 2 and 3(too many examples to cite specifics), Mass Effect 2s leveling system.

Another one that bugs me, albeit in a similar vein, is the watering down of genres in the name of the vague idea that they can hit every demographic at once. DA2 being a prime example of that, on many levels.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Nov 14 2015, 12:59 AM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 14 2015, 08:52 AM
Post #30

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I do agree with previous poster. I donīt mind things getting a tad easier to use, like just clicking to use the weapon instead of dragging the mouse all over the desk as well (even if I enjoy that in Arena because I havenīt encountered it before). But I do mind when what I call "things in the background" gets simplified. I enjoy having attributes, skills and a well designed inventory to tinker with, especially in what is displayed as a RPG, could you believe that? laugh.gif

Perks... Not sure what I think of them. They were fun to deal with in Fallout 3 but I donīt think I want them to become the norm instead of attributes and skills or if I want them in every RPG for that matter. Maybe some, but not all.

Oh, well... indifferent.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 15 2015, 12:36 AM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 14 2015, 02:52 AM) *

Perks... Not sure what I think of them. They were fun to deal with in Fallout 3 but I donīt think I want them to become the norm instead of attributes and skills or if I want them in every RPG for that matter. Maybe some, but not all.

I like the Perk system in Skyrim, I like the way we can further define our character in many different ways as he / she gains in levels. My Skyrim characters feel more unique because of this in certain ways that I don't have to roleplay in my imagination like I do sometimes for vanilla Oblivion.

What I don't like is what Callidus pointed out: the way they got rid of a lot of stuff. Really, what I dislike the most is the way ALL of our characters start out with 100/100/100 in Health, Magicka, and Stamina, with some very minimal racial bonuses. And that's it. I don't like the way my characters start out as less defined in the very beginning. There should be more of a difference here, to make them become more unique from the very start.

The concept of Steam sucks, and I prefer it the old way, going to my local gaming store and purchasing solely from disc. But I'm also too addicted to Skyrim to boycott it. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 15 2015, 12:38 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post May 23 2017, 03:45 AM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Rubber Band Physics in racing games. How that works is let's say you're in last place well the other cars will slow down enough for you to pull ahead then when you are ahead they speed up and stay on your tail till you make a mistake then pass you which can lead you losing a race if you're on the last lap.

Racing Rivals. I hate these guys they're always faster then you and if they get into the lead forget about getting first place if you don't have a boost of some sort.

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: May 23 2017, 03:45 AM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Crimson Paladin
post May 24 2017, 04:00 AM
Post #33

Retainer

Isometric perspective in modern RPGs. I can forgive it in older games like Fallout or Baldur's Gate because at the time, isometric pseudo-3D graphics were probably the best choice they had at the time, but times have changed and now it just feels needlessly constraining to a camera control freak like myself, its only virtue being the retro appeal that is lost on me.

--------------------
The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it;
the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it.
When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee,
beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate,
but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.
-The Hammer Book of Tenets
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 24 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Crimson Paladin @ May 23 2017, 11:00 PM) *

Isometric perspective in modern RPGs. I can forgive it in older games like Fallout or Baldur's Gate because at the time, isometric pseudo-3D graphics were probably the best choice they had at the time, but times have changed and now it just feels needlessly constraining to a camera control freak like myself, its only virtue being the retro appeal that is lost on me.

On the other hand, if the game is not aiming for photo-realism, but more the formal representational style of say, chess, then the visual clue is useful. It says "do not make assumptions based on reality, it might not apply here." Does Tetris need to look like real rubble?

What I don't like is when they mix-and-match conflicting things like that in the UI. Games that strive for realism, but put floating health bars over enemies heads, or worse than that, numbers. It's OK for the Player Character to have a game HUD for things you can't visually evaluate otherwise, but keep it minimal, and use a game-related style, and at least try and provide a reason for it (as in Fallout). Blood-spatter on the screen is OK if I'm logically wearing one, such as a visor, space-suit etc. but not if I'm bare-headed.

I'm on the fence about the glows that Skyrim spells add to affected actors, as you could expect magical effects to show somehow, and fire, frost and shock have reasonable target effects, so the other spells deserve something.

tl;dr no unrealistic realism.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Crimson Paladin
post May 24 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #35

Retainer

QUOTE(ghastley @ May 24 2017, 07:31 AM) *

On the other hand, if the game is not aiming for photo-realism, but more the formal representational style of say, chess, then the visual clue is useful. It says "do not make assumptions based on reality, it might not apply here." Does Tetris need to look like real rubble?
tl;dr no unrealistic realism.

It's not an issue of realism or graphic detail for me, but rather camera control. I like zooming, rotating, and reorienting the camera, getting a better view of the environment and of character sprites from different angles, which you cannot do in a game with isometric pseudo-3D graphics.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 24 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

I do not like how Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2 locks the camera to one perspective. But I do like 3d isometric games. In them your companions do not shoot you in the back all the time, or jump in front of you as soon as you use a bow or spell (unlike Bethesda games). There have been 3d isometric games where you could spin the camera around to view the map from any side, and up or down from any angle. The Neverwinter Nights games for example. Those were great to play.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 25 2017, 02:58 AM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

Quick time events.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Crimson Paladin
post May 25 2017, 07:58 AM
Post #38

Retainer

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 24 2017, 02:23 PM) *

I do not like how Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2 locks the camera to one perspective. But I do like 3d isometric games. In them your companions do not shoot you in the back all the time, or jump in front of you as soon as you use a bow or spell (unlike Bethesda games). There have been 3d isometric games where you could spin the camera around to view the map from any side, and up or down from any angle. The Neverwinter Nights games for example. Those were great to play.

By "isometric" I am specifically referring to the "pseudo-3D" or "2.5D" graphic projections where 2-dimensional art and sprites are used to give the illusion of 3D graphics, like Fallout 1 and 2 or the Infinity Engine D&D titles, not simply a third person RPG where the default camera looks down on the characters. I love Neverwinter Nights and its dated, blocky 3D graphics, and lament that I don't see its formula- a combination of true 3D graphics, old-school tabletop-derived CRPG mechanics, and incredible moddability- in games anymore.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 25 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #39

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 25 2017, 03:58 AM) *

Quick time events.

Surely that's a thing of the '90s? tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 25 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ May 25 2017, 04:08 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 25 2017, 03:58 AM) *

Quick time events.

Surely that's a thing of the '90s? tongue.gif

Ha! If only.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:55 PM