73 Pages V « < 64 65 66 67 68 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blood on the Moon, A Journey of Discovery
minque
post Apr 9 2014, 01:10 AM
Post #1301

Wise Woman
Group Icon

So many updates....more wonderful than you guys ever can imagine...SO i've read and re-read....with the utmost pleasure. Then again this demands a proper comment..a real one not just some cliche or just telling nice things..well of course I WILL tell nice things because I enjoyed reading so much..but I still think I want to comment more serious...with quotes

THAT is why I wont do it just now....I need time and just now its faaaaaar beyond bedtime so....treydoggie my dear friend, you'll have to wait for the words of the Wise Woman...

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 9 2014, 04:32 AM
Post #1302

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(minque @ Apr 9 2014, 01:10 AM) *

Then again this demands a proper comment..a real one not just some cliche or just telling nice things...

Whatever do you mean?... huh.gif ...My responses are now nothing but clichéd... laugh.gif tongue.gif ... biggrin.gif ...

This alternating of POVs is really fun. Seeing the other side of things really makes me laugh...

I like hearing Athlain's frustration, but then remembering his "Any good fight is the one you walk away from" thing was excellent...

Loved the continued dungeon crawl, and removal of werewolves...The throwing stars pinning that one to the block was pretty awesome!!...There was a moment of applause, right there... biggrin.gif ...

His sending Athynae out to wait for him while he disposed of the bodies was nice...A necessary task...If only to be sure of things...

An amazing update, loved it...Shockingly enough...

CLICHE ALERT!!!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
minque
post Apr 9 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #1303

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Apr 9 2014, 05:32 AM) *

QUOTE(minque @ Apr 9 2014, 01:10 AM) *

Then again this demands a proper comment..a real one not just some cliche or just telling nice things...

Whatever do you mean?... huh.gif ...My responses are now nothing but clichéd... laugh.gif tongue.gif ... biggrin.gif ...

This alternating of POVs is really fun. Seeing the other side of things really makes me laugh...

I like hearing Athlain's frustration, but then remembering his "Any good fight is the one you walk away from" thing was excellent...

Loved the continued dungeon crawl, and removal of werewolves...The throwing stars pinning that one to the block was pretty awesome!!...There was a moment of applause, right there... biggrin.gif ...

His sending Athynae out to wait for him while he disposed of the bodies was nice...A necessary task...If only to be sure of things...

An amazing update, loved it...Shockingly enough...

CLICHE ALERT!!!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

No Mr Welsh-man your comments are funny and inspiring! I have a lot to learn....still working on a good'un

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 12 2014, 02:31 AM
Post #1304

Councilor
Group Icon

But we were no longer two individual warriors who happened to be in the same place at the same time- we had forged a new bond, one of shared blood and triumph.

Every step led to this thought. How very satisfying to read it! I love the way these moments grow so naturally through the story. *contented sigh*

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post May 18 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #1305

Master
Group Icon

@haute-Typo found and formatting error and fixed. That “I” for “a” bit is one of those… aphasia sorts of things for me. Athlain still remembers his “adventure” all those years ago and how much better it would have been with some company…. All the bruises from all the practices come in handy once they are faced with a real fight for their lives- at least as long as Athlain remembers… “TGIF”.

@minque- Always happy to know you are reading. Comments are welcome- but optional.

@McBadgere- If you like the alternating, you will get to see it in ONE post this time. I normally avoid that, but since this is the chapter ender- and it kinda… worked…. (shrug). Sometimes Athlain falls back into his “why do you always have to…” before he remembers the reason they are there. And for Athynae, it is very personal, given that Hircine made the terrible mistake of “taking an interest” in her.

@Grits- Although they battled “mundane” wolves together, this is really the first time the two have gone into a fight with a true unity of purpose. At last, all the years of training and bickering are reaching fruition.

And now for new story. Athynae and Athlain have obtained the Totem of Claw and Fang, which is necessary for some important Skaal ritual, and have left the tomb, with its cargo of (now dead) werewolves. In this post, we will start with Athynae and then switch to Athlain, and finally conclude with Athynae again. I have made typographic breaks to show the transitions, but wanted to mention it up front, as that is not the usual process. But I hope it works for this rare instance. Thanks to everyone for reading.

-----------------------------------

I stood at the exit of the tomb breathing deeply of the fresh, cool, untainted air trying to cleanse my nostrils of the putrid stench of werehounds and death. The briny smell of the sea was carried on the breeze and I felt myself drawn to the east, even if it was just for a few moments. I needed to touch the salty sea and let the sound of the water washing the shore do the same to my over-taxed brain. I heard Athlain's steps, but I smelled the horrid stench even before his footfalls registered. He exited the cave with one of the few things that had not changed, that quirky grin that always went with some sort of 'gift'.

“Yours I believe.” And he dropped my stars in my hand.

“You smell like burnt fur.” And I started off toward the shore.

“Um, Thyna?” He stammered a bit and I knew he was going to announce I was going the wrong way. I mean I was if the right way was to return the totem to Korst, but that wasn't my objective just this moment.

“No. I'm not; I'm going to the shore. I need a break from all the ‘do this, go there, kill beasts, and finish this quest all while you're hunting a stupid daedric prince so you can send him back to his own plane of Oblivion’.”

Athlain's expression was dark and drawn and he was working on the words to go with his thoughts. “Thyna, I don't think you should go alone.” His body stiffened as if he were waiting for me to punch him or something.

“OK.” And I rolled my eyes at his innate ability to always say the stupidest things. “I wasn't uninviting you; I was just informing you why I was going in a direction other than the one you expected.” And I turned away from him once again and started walking toward the clean scent of seawater. I felt as much as I heard when he fell in step behind me. He didn't say anything else and I got the feeling he needed a moment as much as I did. There was too much clouding my mind. I had never had difficulty concentrating and focusing until now. I knew I needed to put all of the 'stuff' that didn't have anything to do with finding and ending Hircine into a box with a latch and possibly a lock since it seemed to keep rearing up at the most inconvenient times.

It wasn't far to the shore but my mind was so distracted that it was like using a potion to travel. Only by the position of the sun could I tell that time had passed. And there it was, the waves, the smell- I don't know why, but I felt a physical response to the sight and smell. My heartbeat slowed and tense muscles relaxed. I got as close to the water as I could without getting saturated and just plopped down and drew my knees to my chest.

Athlain stopped at the tree line and stayed there for uncountable moments as I stared unthinking at the crashing tide. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply of the cleansing air, letting the musical rumbling sound penetrate as far as my mind would allow. As each wave broke upon the shore, I could feel it taking away some of the doubts that cluttered my brain. To keep Athlain safe, to finish all of this, I needed to be like the sea- ever changing, but always the same. Perhaps that sounded impossible, but that had never stopped me before.

Athynae was right, as she tended to be. I did smell of burnt fur, and blood and death, and dark places. And if she needed a moment, or a thousand moments, just to breathe the clean sea air and watch the waves- so did I. My life had become one battle after another, an unending series of tasks. I felt as if I had been pulled into the spinning heart of a Dwemer machine, mindlessly repeating actions that had long since lost any purpose or meaning. It was good to simply stop, to be, to stand on that rocky shore watching over the person I… My mind shied away from finishing that thought. Perhaps, if we survived what was still to come, there would be time for such an idea.

Of course, ‘Thyna might look at me as if I was addled. And perhaps I was. But looking at the lowering sun painting her cheek, striking glints from her hair, seeing the lavender wells of her eyes… If I was losing my mind, I did not want it back. For the moment, what I could give her was time… and silence. If we were trapped in the web of prophecy, it could bloody well wait for just a bit while we caught our breath.

When it became clear that we were going to be there a while, I removed most of my armor, leaving a quilted tunic, leather trousers, and boots. That was sufficient to combat the wind off the sea, and besides, cold had never bothered me all that much. With no conscious thought, I cleaned my armor, noting the places that would need greater attention at a smithy. I also scrubbed my face and arms in a tide pool, accepting the chill sting of the salt water in exchange for removing the odor of smoke and… less pleasant things. During that time, Athynae did not move, simply sat and watched the progression of waves rushing onto the shore and then retreating. When I had decided that my impromptu bath made me fit company once more, I dropped down beside her, keeping The Gift within easy reach. Just because we had paused to rest did not mean the myriad dangers of Solstheim had done the same.

I felt it when Athlain started moving toward me and I released my knees and placed my arms behind me to prop myself up on my hands. Athlain landed beside me, having removed some of the stiff pieces of armor that would have hampered his ability to 'plop'. I grinned a bit as I congratulated myself on my preference for leather armor, which did not prevent me from moving as I liked. He had also apparently washed off the smell of dead, burnt fur balls.

“Are you alright?” The timbre in his voice matched Uncle Trey's so closely I had to look to make sure it was still Athlain.

“Just clearing my head.” I turned my eyes back to the seascape.

“I'm just not accustomed to this side of you. It isn't like you to seem so distracted. Don't get me wrong- I don't think the distraction is affecting your ability any- just that you seem to be...” He stopped short when he realized I was staring at him. “There's something eating at you and I want you to know that you can talk to me about it.” It came out in a rush but I caught it.

“I know- I'm not sure how to explain what it is.” That was all I could offer because it was true; so much was still hidden from me, and it seemed the list was being added to with each step we took toward the end of Hircine's Hunt. We sat in silence until I asked him,

“Do you ever wonder what it would be like to have a simple life, Athlain? To be one of those people that just does their job and goes home, spends time with their family, reading books or playing games without a thought of the dangers they are protected from or fearful of the evil that exists in the world because they've never done anything to draw it to them? They live like their parents and grandparents and life just moves forward quietly, simply.” I pulled my hands back to my knees and crossed them to prop my chin.

“I cannot remember a single moment, ever, that I wasn't planning or training or fighting or plotting or explaining and right now I'm really not sure how long I can keep going like this. It has just occurred to me that I have never stopped, never slowed down, but now it's like I've gone from riding Lumhara to riding a cliff racer and it is doing nothing but speeding up and I can't slow it down. I can't make it stop. And I think there might be a mountainside ahead.”

“You'll get used to it. I did. This is what you were born for ‘Thyna; this is what you trained for since you were born. I still question whether I am meant to be here, how sound my judgment is. I think about how many other places I'd rather be and what else I could be doing. But at the end of the day, when I close my eyes, I am exactly where I am because it is where I am supposed to be. And right now I am so thankful that you are where you are supposed to be, too.” Again with the Uncle Trey voice, even his face showed the wisdom that brought those thoughts forth and it looked like the perfect blend of Trey and Baria.

“I'm sure I will, but right now it's tossing me around a bit more than I am comfortable with. And when did you become so wise- youngster?” It was time to lighten the mood; we were going down a road that I didn't want to travel. Not yet anyway. “I'm over a year older than you and you're trying to teach me about fate and destiny; how did that happen?” I pushed his shoulder and he smiled.

“Don't test me on the hand to hand Nay Nay; you might get another lesson from the wise one.” He actually looked at me as if he were challenging me.

“Oh, you think so? Well, it'll have to wait, because I'm just too tired right now and besides, it's getting ready to be dark so we either need to make camp or run all the way back.” I was talking, trying to keep my voice steady while I plotted how to start my attack. One thing I did know was a good wrestling match just for fun would cure a multitude of the symptoms that were plaguing this team. At least that was the way we had once lightened the tensions during particularly trying competitions.

I relaxed and tried to shift my weight unnoticeably and then I leapt, landing on Athlain and pinning him in the mix of rock and sand. “So what were you saying about lessons?” Athlain didn't squirm- he wasn't fighting for release, just smiling at me like the rat that got the cheese.

“I thought you were too tired. As usual, you cheated; now you have me at a disadvantage.” My hands had his arms locked above his head by the wrists and I realized he only had on his quilted tunic and trousers and sitting straddle of his torso it registered very profoundly that his once gaunt, stringy mid-section had been replaced, along with the boyish attitude. That was all the thought I had time for because I felt world shift and without realizing how I got there I was flat on my back, having been flipped over his head.
Meanwhile, he was on his feet, in an attack position, knees bent, arms out, ready for the melee. I rose and made an attempt at a foot sweep which he anticipated and jumped like a rope while he shot me a “ha”.

We stood face to face in almost identical stances, staring beyond each other. I realized then that fighting hand to hand with the one that has been your sparring partner most of your life puts you at a disadvantage because they know all of your tactics. How do you change your technique and surprise them?

He twitched, I reacted, incorrectly stupid, and once again I was prostrate on the beach. That did it. It was on because he had laid me out twice and that just would not do. I didn't mind him being my equal but, well, I had to answer his point with one of my own. Back in position I lunged forward and we locked arms, pushing against each other. Beneath my palms the muscles of his shoulders rippled and even through the quilting, the once sharp bones were now encased with the toned tight lines of muscles and tendons, solid proof that he had brought The Gift to bear against far more than a handful of adversaries.

I dipped my left knee and threw him off balance and rammed my shoulder into his chest, sending him backward into the tide. The frigid water rolled over his face and the splash soaked my leathers. The roar that emanated from him was beyond description and he shot out of the water like he'd been launched from a catapult, flying through the air headed straight for me. It was like some mythic sea beast had suddenly risen from the waves. My mind registered it, but for some reason that I cannot explain, my body would not move. I stood, rooted, watching the broad shoulders and muscular arms as they made contact with my midsection. I closed my eyes, waiting for the crash, knowing that all of the air would be pushed from my lungs and cause my head to swim.

But instead, I had the strange sensation of spinning and rather than landing on my back with the weight of another body crashing against me- I was laid, almost gently, atop the quilted tunic and the broad chest beneath it. And the arms that were wrapped tightly around me cradled me rather than grappling. Something happened, a feeling I'd never known; my body was drawn to it, but my instincts reacted differently and I jerked free, gaining my feet. It took great effort not to allow my reaction to proceed and send me fleeing into the darkening forest. The feeling was not fear; it was worse than fear; it was more discomforting than an unfamiliar dark place, and it made my head spin and my nerves fray. I was breathing in short, gasping breaths and my heart was beating wildly.

Athlain stood and faced me, dusting the sand from his clothing, “Are you alright?” His voice was schooled and sounded calm, but I could tell from the tension in his face that something had happened to him too.

“Honestly, I don't know.” The voice was mine but it sounded unfamiliar; the tone was off, flat, and I realized the answer was as truthful as anything I had ever uttered. “We need to make camp before the light is completely gone.”

“Athynae, I...,” he paused to gather the rest of the thought.

“You what?” I snapped. “You didn't think? You slipped on something? WHAT?! Spit it out.” I wanted to know why he had changed the attack. I wanted to know why he had made me feel soft. I wanted to know why he felt like tempered steel instead of…. No, I knew the answer to that; I'd been made fun of for the muscles in my arms most of my life, and it was a good thing no one ever saw my legs.... But he wasn't supposed to feel like that; he was supposed to be skinny with sharp elbows and knobby knees; he had changed everything by coming here to this cursed island.

“I noticed how dark it was getting and figured we needed to make camp instead of playing games.” And he turned toward his pile of armor without another word.

Here Ends Chapter 17

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post May 18 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #1306

Master
Group Icon

Oooh, my! wub.gif wub.gif

I've been in love with Athlain for a long time. But this - ooh! I need a fan!

I really enjoyed this interlude, and a nice, quiet one with tension of a different sort (the fun sort) to make all the bad stuff go away, if only for a little while.

In the midst of unrelenting dungeon delving and traveling to far off places, it's nice to just stop and take a breather. And this little episode does just that, not only for our couple but also for us, the readers.

Nice!

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 19 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #1307

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome!!!...

Yes, very much did I enjoy the tow-fer that this part gave us...

Absolutely loved the seaside-ness of it...I could really picture meself there...And wish I was there too...Maybe not at the same time though...That would have been...Awkward... whistling.gif ...

Athynae's dawning realisation, from a purely womanly point of view, about how much Athlain had changed down the time he'd been away from her...And what that last wrestling match did for/to her was pure excellence, right there...

And then add Athlain's almost admission...Well...Just fantastic...

On so many levels this part was so brilliant...(It's simplicity; the twofer-ness; the moving on of the relationship; the seaside setting...+ some other indefinable swaggy stuff...)...And for those many reasons, it has to rank as amongst my favourite things from either of you...

Absolutely amazing...

Nice one!!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
minque
post May 20 2014, 09:53 PM
Post #1308

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok so i will comment even if the thread gets mysteriously LOCKED! Mark my words..I DO NOT lock treydoggie's thread..so IF it gets locked just because I'm in it...well then we do have a mystery on our hands...

You see guys....somehow in the forum log....it says that I, minque, keeps on LOCKING this thread...It even happened when I wasn't even here

treydog...this part made chills run down my spine....I read breathless...just waiting for the..."special words" which never actually were outspoken but oh so well hidden between the lines..

Made me wonder if Thyna is a bit weird or just very much afraid of showing feelings..I mean FFS those two are in love with each other...I promise..they are! And that makes me just so happy!

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 1 2014, 03:22 PM
Post #1309

Councilor
Group Icon

What a wonderful end to the chapter! Athynae’s responses both metal and involuntary to her new awareness of Athlain were so very Athynae, but still familiar I expect to anyone who has had their eyes opened by a suddenly hot friend. I loved hearing from both of them in this post.

Athlain didn't squirm- he wasn't fighting for release, just smiling at me like the rat that got the cheese.

I really grinned here. This rat knows how to bait a trap. tongue.gif

Athynae doesn’t scratch her nose without a tactical plan, so I was not surprised that their roll in the surf was quickly followed by a tense exchange rather than leather armor discarded on top of Athlain’s pile. And thanks to Athlain’s unfinished thought earlier we know that he’s not admitting all of his feelings either. His uncertainty is understandable. Athynae is quick with a gruff reply. Their complicated dance continues to delight.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Nov 1 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #1310

Master
Group Icon

Where we are- well, there was all this stuff with work and broken heat pumps and life and… oh wait. Never mind. Where Athynae and Athlain are- they have recovered the Totem of Claw and Fang for Korst Wind-Eye, shaman of the Skaal. The shaman feels that the Totem is necessary to prepare for the approaching Bloodmoon, when Hircine will lead the Wild Hunt. In the midst of his complicated feelings for Athynae, Athlain must also try to find Captain Carius, who disappeared when werewolves attacked Fort Frostmoth. That is only one disappearance, as Tharsten Heartfang, the chieftain of the Skaal village, has also gone missing following a werewolf attack.

@haute- Thank you so much. Because they are so capable in other ways, I sometimes forget that the kids are still… well… kids. And neither one of them is quite prepared for all the feelings that have ambushed them.

@McB- It has been a treat to get to tell the story from more than one point of view- especially with two such strong personalities. Both Athynae (the writer) and I have strong ties to nature, and often go to those kinds of places for inspiration. Solstheim itself should be as much a character as any other “NPC” in the story. My humble thanks for your wonderful words.

@minque- Poor Athynae has trouble with anything that is not susceptible to a blade or a projectile… most especially something as nebulous as “feelings.” Other people have “feelings.” She has “strategies.” And- though she will never admit it- feelings are the one thing that scares her.

@Grits- Thank you thank you thank you. The situation puts me in mind of a friend of mine from high school who had no idea how attractive the young ladies found him. And of course, that was a large part of his charm…. Neither one of them is ready to admit to more than “friendship,” and both have the useful excuse of “responsibility” to hide behind. It will be interesting to see what happens when that is no longer the case…

-----------------------------------
Interlude 18

Life Among the Lycanthropes by Sigvard of Whiterun (a portion):

Even those deemed “monsters” by men and mer have their legends, their cultural memories… their nightmares. If one can win their confidence, they will speak of these things. A name that is only spoken reluctantly is “Dark Fang, the Bringer of Death.” She haunts the dreams of the werewolves. Hircine is their god; she is their demon.

At a time that was outside of time, in a place that was no place, some of the Daedric princes gathered to debate which of them had caused the greatest affliction to the mortals of the Mundus.

Mehrunes Dagon spoke first, “I am the bringer of destruction and war. I tempt these mortal worms with the desire for power.”

Vaermina whispered, “You are too obvious, Brother. I work in the shadows of mortal minds, turning their fears into dreams and their dreams into fear. They may fight for you or against you, but who can oppose sleep?”

Sheogorath complained, “Where is the cheese? I was told there would be cheese!”

Others offered up their own snares and schemes and methods to cause suffering amongst men and mer. But one was silent, seeming absorbed in the large tome whose pages he turned with slow, sensual avidity.

Boethiah looked to the silent prince and sneered, “And what place have you here, librarian?”

Hermaeus Mora closed his volume and placed his hands upon the cover. “I? I have done worse than all of you together. For I gave mortals… knowledge. They believe that knowing will bring happiness and contentment, but much which they learn causes sorrow. Still worse, knowing only brings a desire for greater knowledge. It is a thirst that they can never quench.”

Those assembled looked at one another and nodded, except for Sheogorath, who was building temple out of forks.

A conversation at Indarys Manor, Vvardenfell (a portion):

“Athlain, you know I would prefer that you do not get into a fight. However, if you must fight, fight to win. Good night son.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
treydog
post Nov 4 2014, 04:01 AM
Post #1311

Master
Group Icon

Chapter 18

“You have done well.”

Those were the first words Korst Wind-Eye spoke after his painstaking examination of the amulet we had brought back from the Tombs of Skaalara. The praise was a relief, as much for breaking the silence as because it confirmed that we had indeed retrieved the Totem of Claw and Fang. It was a silence that had followed Athynae and I from our camp by the shore all the way back to the Skaal village, broken only by the sound of our footsteps and the wind in the trees. I cannot say where Athynae’s thoughts carried her, but for myself, there was so much to consider that I had no concept of where to begin. It seemed better to let it rest. I did wonder if it was some jest of the gods, the fact that I found it more pleasant to confront dangerous monsters than my own feelings for someone I had known all my life.

So I was just as glad to watch as the shaman handled each ebony claw and ivory fang, then allowed his fingers to follow the leather cord to the clasp, which was in the form of a raven with an acorn in its beak. Korst’s attention was completely taken by the Totem. However, when his fingers brushed the wolf fangs, I saw the slight tightening around Athynae’s eyes, and her hand reaching toward the shoulder where the lycanthrope had bitten her. Not all wounds are visible, and not all scars are physical. Meanwhile, the shaman had placed the Totem on a stand at the center of his worktable.

“With the Totem of Claw and Fang restored to us, I can consult the All-Maker. The continued absence of Tharsten is of grave concern, but no more so than the disappearance of the herds. The Skaal fear that we have lost the favor of our creator. But that which has been lost may be regained.” He nodded at the Totem to illustrate his meaning. “The ceremony will take some time; however, I would ask that you stay nearby. My heart tells me that your part in all this is not finished.”

We stepped out into the village, and Athynae turned toward the cabin that she had used previously- the one that came to me with the title of “Blodskaal.” That suited me- I still had little desire to take over the home of a man who had been torn apart by wolves as a result of my judgment. And perhaps a little time apart would allow me to bring some order to my thinking.

No- probably not. Athynae did not have to be present to disconcert me or cloud my thinking. If she suffered a similar problem, it did not show; something in her expression told me that she intended to engage in a long session of potion making. I considered imposing on Lassnr once more, but I did not want to be indoors. Something of the darkness from the Tombs of Skaalara had followed me, and I hoped clean air and clear skies would provide some relief.

Time passed, as it does, and I was no nearer to finding answers. The only path I could see was shadowed by uncertainty. All that I was sure of was that I must walk that path, and that I wanted Athynae to walk it with me- no matter where it might lead. Finally, one of the Skaal guards approached me and indicated that Korst was ready. When Athynae and I entered the shaman’s house, he announced, “It is time to perform the Ristaag. In this way, we will ensure that the All-Maker smiles upon his children.” He inclined his head to us and added, “As those who restored the Totem, you will participate, of course.”

I could see clouds gathering on Athynae’s brow and so cut in quickly, before the storm could be unleashed.

“Forgive me, Korst, but what exactly is this ‘Ristaag’? We are neither of us well-versed in the lore of the Skaal.”

“It is a ceremonial hunt for the Spirit Bear, which I will summon using the Totem of Claw and Fang. A successful hunt will ensure that the All-Maker looks kindly upon the Skaal.”

“Well,” I began, “that doesn’t sound too….”

“Yes,” continued the shaman, “Rolf Long-Tooth will lead the hunt- tonight. You will meet him on the west shore of Lake Fjalding at dusk.”

Athynae could not contain herself any longer. “So. You propose that we go out- at night- into the wilds- to hunt a bear that may or may not be there- while Hircine’s … creatures… are prowling about?”

She paused for a moment and then shrugged, “At least there are a lot of Skaal hunters, so that might help. Hircine’s hounds are not likely to attack a group…”

She trailed off as Korst shook his head. “No. That is not the way of the Ristaag. There will be five hunters, as there are five claws on the paw of the bear. Because you two are new to the ritual, you will stay with Rolf. The others will choose their own paths. Each will find his or her own way, trusting their skills and the guidance of the All-Maker . That is….”

“Stupid!” Athynae exploded.

Korst’s eyes glinted a bit, but he kept his voice even. “Perhaps it appears so to you, but it is also our tradition.” He paused and then bowed his head toward Athynae, a surprising sign of reverence. “It is important that you participate, although the reason is not clear to me. I only know that the spirit bear’s essence is closely linked to your own.”

I was not the only one who saw ‘Thyna’s skepticism. Korst glanced at the window to gauge the time before he explained:

“Each of us is connected to a spirit animal, some more strongly than others. Our spirit animals serve as guides and as protectors. They also lend us some of their attributes. The bear embodies courage, strength, and nurturing. It is also a symbol of resurrection and of duality.”

Athynae still appeared doubtful, but I felt it was more stubbornness than actual disbelief. And as I looked at her, I seemed to see a larger shadow looming behind her, a shadow with the broad, blunt shape of a great bear. As I studied her folded arms and set jaw, another, more whimsical thought came to me, one I decided to keep to myself. Much like the bear, Athynae Sarethi was well-known for being ill-tempered when roused from slumber.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 7 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #1312

Councilor
Group Icon

A name that is only spoken reluctantly is “Dark Fang, the Bringer of Death.” She haunts the dreams of the werewolves. Hircine is their god; she is their demon.

Hmm…

I considered imposing on Lassnr once more, but I did not want to be indoors. Something of the darkness from the Tombs of Skaalara had followed me, and I hoped clean air and clear skies would provide some relief.

These lines spoke to the heart with perfect clarity. I know that feeling exactly. (Er, not about tombs, specifically, but yeah.)

I love the image of Athynae’s stubborn pose as a standing bear. The last line was a treat! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Jan 28 2015, 04:08 AM
Post #1313

Evoker

Wow.... I didn't realise Trey's story had been expanded so much since the last time I read the series. I can't wait to catch up. One of the very best Morrowind novels, ever. smile.gif

Trey's adventures are actually what inspired me to register and post today, I've only ever really lurked before. Since I would really love to start rereading this story right from Trey's humble Morrowind beginnings, I'm wondering if chapters 1-8 are still available. I keep receiving error messages every time I click on Fan Forge.... Is this an issue on my end, or has something happened to Fan Forge? I tried to search on this topic, but I don't think I'm able to use the Search function yet.. I am receiving a message I don't have permission. I also poured through all of the forums that seemed most likely to house those missing chapters, but I didn't see anything.

My apologies, I don't want to intrude too much into this story thread, but I wasn't sure where else to post.. since I can't yet create my own threads.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 28 2015, 07:12 AM
Post #1314

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ArtemisNoir2 @ Jan 27 2015, 10:08 PM) *

Wow.... I didn't realise Trey's story had been expanded so much since the last time I read the series. I can't wait to catch up. One of the very best Morrowind novels, ever. smile.gif

Trey's adventures are actually what inspired me to register and post today, I've only ever really lurked before. Since I would really love to start rereading this story right from Trey's humble Morrowind beginnings, I'm wondering if chapters 1-8 are still available. I keep receiving error messages every time I click on Fan Forge.... Is this an issue on my end, or has something happened to Fan Forge? I tried to search on this topic, but I don't think I'm able to use the Search function yet.. I am receiving a message I don't have permission. I also poured through all of the forums that seemed most likely to house those missing chapters, but I didn't see anything.

My apologies, I don't want to intrude too much into this story thread, but I wasn't sure where else to post.. since I can't yet create my own threads.

I think that is now defunct since we changed servers a couple years ago; but you can still read Treydog's stories here - go to the main forum page, look for the "Fan Fiction" forum. Click on that; then look at the very top of the page that opens up. Find the "Writer's Sub-forum" for archived fictions, you will see Treydog's name. If you click on his name, you will be able to access Treydog's story from beginning to the current chapters.

Welcome to the forums!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Jan 28 2015, 08:53 AM
Post #1315

Evoker

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 27 2015, 10:12 PM) *

I think that is now defunct since we changed servers a couple years ago; but you can still read Treydog's stories here - go to the main forum page, look for the "Fan Fiction" forum. Click on that; then look at the very top of the page that opens up. Find the "Writer's Sub-forum" for archived fictions, you will see Treydog's name. If you click on his name, you will be able to access Treydog's story from beginning to the current chapters.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the welcome and reply smile.gif
Sadly, clicking on Treydrog's subforum (http://chorrol.com/forums/index.php?showforum=53) only provides from chapter 10 onwards. Treydog mentions at the beginning of chapter 10 that due to his previous work having been compiled in Fan Forge, he wouldn't repeat himself.... Hopefully the earlier chapters haven't been lost... sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 28 2015, 11:28 AM
Post #1316

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ArtemisNoir2 @ Jan 28 2015, 02:53 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 27 2015, 10:12 PM) *

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the welcome and reply smile.gif
Sadly, clicking on Treydrog's subforum (http://chorrol.com/forums/index.php?showforum=53) only provides from chapter 10 onwards. Treydog mentions at the beginning of chapter 10 that due to his previous work having been compiled in Fan Forge, he wouldn't repeat himself.... Hopefully the earlier chapters haven't been lost... sad.gif

Have you tried at the official forums? He (Treydog) was posting it on another forum, but I went and looked for it there and that forum has been closed, moved to another URL. I tried the new URL, but he never started it back up on that one.

On this site try Blackie's or Helena's too, both take place in Morrowind.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jan 29 2015, 02:16 AM
Post #1317

Master
Group Icon

Oh gosh.... (blushes). Thank you so much ArtemisNoir2!

Um... yeah when the Fan Forge was.... there... I did not want to spam the forum (much). So I let the early chapters rest there. I still have them and could post...?

Thank you again and welcome to this excellent place. Many good stories here. Read and enjoy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Jan 31 2015, 03:09 AM
Post #1318

Evoker

QUOTE(treydog @ Jan 28 2015, 05:16 PM) *

Oh gosh.... (blushes). Thank you so much ArtemisNoir2!

Um... yeah when the Fan Forge was.... there... I did not want to spam the forum (much). So I let the early chapters rest there. I still have them and could post...?

Thank you again and welcome to this excellent place. Many good stories here. Read and enjoy.

I just noticed that you have started to place the earlier Trey chapters in your subforum, thanks so much! Yes please do place them all there if you feel so inclined. It has been a long time since I've read them, and I'd love to go back and delve into them again.
Cheers for the welcome! smile.gif

This post has been edited by ArtemisNoir2: Jan 31 2015, 03:10 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Dec 22 2015, 04:47 PM
Post #1319

Master
Group Icon

Apologies for taking over a year (gulp) to say anything new here. I hope the following tale of winter finds each of you warm and safe in your homes, surrounded by those you love.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The dagger was steady in Athynae’s hand, the point angled toward the great vein in Korst’s throat as she hissed at the Skaal shaman, “You knew. “You knew that they were going to their deaths. And you did nothing. Worse than that, you… encouraged this madness. And you made me a part of it.”

Korst’s calm amazed me. He held Athynae’s eyes with his own, never once glancing at the blade that could spill his life.

“All I
knew was that the All-Maker required us to perform the Ristaag, and that you and Athlain take part in it. Our hunters face the possibility of death every time they venture out. That is part of what it means to be Skaal- to be unflinching in the face of danger. More than that, Solstheim is not our home; it is only a place of testing.”

He paused and turned his gaze to me.

“Ask Athlain of the Legion what happens when one of his comrades falls in battle. Do the others falter? Do they cease to be warriors? Or do they press forward, making certain that the sacrifice is not in vain?”

I could not answer immediately. My eyes were locked on the silver blade and the reflected flames that danced in its depths, reminding me of torches gleaming in the snow-covered forest many miles from the village. Flames, and snow, and bright red blood….

But even in her anger, Athynae was controlled. She stepped back, sliding the dagger back into her boot and waving her other hand at me.

“You tell it. I had to live through the stupidity; if I have to describe it, I won’t be held responsible.”

So, while Athynae prowled the small space of Korst’s house, I recalled the events of the previous night. Many thoughts that passed through my mind remained locked behind my lips

“Despite the rather vague directions,” I paused long enough to allow the shaman to acknowledge the truth of my indictment, “we found Rolf Long-Tooth without much trouble.”

“You will meet Rolf Long-Tooth on the west shore of Lake Fjalding.”

That was all the guidance Korst Wind-Eye had given us. Considering that the lake stretched a great distance from north to south, I was inclined to argue, but ‘Thyna grasped my arm and drew me away. “We will find them. I will find them. I have a certain… talent… for such things now.”

That was enough to silence my protests, and I simply bowed my head in acquiescence.

In the end, the Skaal hunters were easy enough to find, even without any particular skills, as their torches shone like three suns in the dark forest- or like beacons calling… I decided I didn’t want to think about what they might be calling . Athynae made a sound somewhere between a sigh of resignation and a snort of derision. To the uninitiated, it might have sounded like an asthmatic wheeze, but I was well-versed in ‘Thyna’s mannerisms, so I read the meaning plainly.

Hunting at night- with torches? Really? How these people manage to get out of bed in the morning is a mystery. And oh, by the way, it isn’t doing much for my night blindness, either.

Or maybe it just meant the smoke from the brands irritated her throat- I have been accused of having too much imagination.

Athynae’s first and only words since our trek began dispelled my doubts, “What is this- a tea party? Who ever heard of hunting with torches?”

I looked to see if Senior Trooper Carbo had suddenly stepped out of the trees. Although I was often on the receiving end of my lifelong friend’s acerbic remarks, she hardly ever spoke her mind to strangers.

The leader, Rolf Long-Tooth, gave no indication that he was offended, instead waving a hand at the other hunters.

“That fellow with the bear-paw tattoo across his face is Sattir the Bold. A good hunter, and I am honored to have him with us. And the flame-haired wench is Grerid Axe-Wife. Don’t let her dour look put you off; she is also an excellent companion and an experienced hunter.”

I took Rolf’s word for it, even though Grerid had punched him in the ribs when he used the word “wench”. However, she smiled at Athynae and me and said,

“Pay no attention to the lout. He has spent so much time outdoors, he’s more like a horker than a hunter. Especially given the way he smells….”

The banter among old friends was a relief; I knew we were outsiders, regardless of what Korst might believe. But even as I relaxed, thankful for their ready acceptance, I noticed that Athynae was still ill at ease. There was no time for a private conversation though, for she moved off by herself as soon as Rolf explained that the hunt must begin under the light of the moon, and that we would wait until it was fully up.

The darkness brought a silence over the forest, broken only by the wind sighing through the trees. It was a sound peculiar to Solstheim, an effect of the dense needles on the branches. At least the scientific part of my mind told me that was the cause. The more fanciful part, the part that made me stay close to the light of the torches, said that the trees whispered to one another, telling secrets as old as time itself. What Athynae heard or thought, I could not discern, but whatever it was did not please her. Her lips were set in a grim line and her hands maintained contact with sword or dagger at all times. Her silence was like a second set of armor, warning Rolf and the other hunters to keep their distance. The only other people I had known who could be that intimidating simply standing still were Sethyas Velas… and my father.

Secunda at last cleared the horizon and began to glimmer in the lower branches of the trees, sliding in and out of the clouds. When she had at last cleared the treetops, Rolf lifted up a leather bag marked with Nordish runes and symbols.

“You are called here to participate in a ceremony vital to the Skaal. With the Ristaag, we will ensure that the All-Maker smiles upon His children. Tonight, we seek the Spirit Bear! By tradition, each of you will reach into this pouch and take a stone. They are marked with symbols of power and significance. The symbols will determine the order in which the hunters go out. As leader of the hunt, my place will be to finish only if all the others are unsuccessful.”

He looked doubtfully at Athynae and me, as if unsure how to handle the presence of two who were not of the Skaal.

“I know Korst asked you to be here, but…,” he trailed off, clearly not wishing to give offense.

Athynae spoke for the first time since her remark about the torches, and her eyes glowed with a peculiar light.

“I will choose for both of us.” She placed a hand on my shoulder. “We will not be separated, not tonight, not tomorrow, not until this… business… is finished.”

Rolf dipped his head in agreement, for there was no arguing with that tone. He motioned Sattir, Grerid, and Athynae forward, each of whom dipped a hand into the bag, and brought it forth again. Then he intoned a brief prayer for strength and guidance, closing with a request that each hunter reveal their token. Grerid opened her fist to show a white stone marked with the head of a stag. Sattir’s symbol was a match to the tattoo across his features, the paw of the bear. Athynae’s round white stone showed a raven in profile, its clever eye seeming to look out at us.

“And so we are ordered, as the All-Maker has decided. Sattir will have the honor of going first, bringing the spirit bear to this realm. Grerid will be second, acting as the lure for our quarry. And Athynae will provide her wisdom to us all.”

I could tell Athynae did not like the arrangement; she preferred going first whenever possible. But she also seemed to think that she had pushed things as far as she could by insisting that she and I would stay together. So she was silent, but it was a silence that spoke volumes. And then….

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 23 2015, 07:54 AM
Post #1320

Councilor
Group Icon

Well that was utterly awesome!... biggrin.gif ...

Fair dues...Athynae's gotten a bit...Narked...These days, eh?... laugh.gif ...

Proper excellent to see a new post...

Moarrrr etc... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one Matey!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

+Quote Post

73 Pages V « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:21 AM