3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gog Oblivion
SubRosa
post Aug 19 2019, 12:12 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

I bought Oblivion from Gog.com a while ago, and finally got around to installing it. It comes with the executable already pre-patched to 4gb aware. It also comes with all the dlcs. They install automatically with the game.

I tried it with my old Morroblivion files, and they work! For some reason Morroblivion had stopped working with my old GOTY disc install of Oblivion. So I think I might give that a try sometime soon.

I also got my Martial Arts for Oblivion mod mostly done today. As I did with Morrowind, I took a dagger and changed the mesh to a ring, and renamed it Martial Arts. Works like a charm. I just wish there was some way I could change it to use the hand to hand animations instead of the dagger animations. But I am not sure that is even possible.

I also created a shield the same way, but have not tested it yet to see how it works.

And now Morroblivion CTDs every time I try to load a save again.

Ah Ha! I got it working. The problem - somehow - was that after my initial install I added the Morroblivion files into OMOD files for OBMM. For some reason those files coming out of an OMOD broke the game. I deleted the OMODs, and copied the files over directly. Viola! It works again.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 19 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

All right very nice with the technical fix there.

It's funny because when I was new to PC modding, I installed MMM, which I had heard about for years, and I really wanted all these extra monsters in my game. MMM was the first really BIG mod I added, and since it came with an OMOD installer (something like this) I got it in my game through the OMOD. Well, everything worked fine except I kept seeing all these *STOP! I'm A MISSING MESH!* signs in my game.

Long story short, a frienmemy I had in the old Beth forums (him and I sparred a bit publicly... you know how those forums were) is the one who diagnosed the problem. "Forget about OBMM. Just copy/paste all the files directly into the Data folder." And this worked. smile.gif It's because I assumed modding had to be complicated for it to work back in those days. I didn't expect a simple copy/paste would do the trick.

Are you gonna be posting pics SR? I am curious what Morroblivion looks like, or if it's any different from the base game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 20 2019, 02:13 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Morroblivion looks mostly like Oblivion, since that is the game engine. But it does use some textures like those of Morrowind. So it is a blend of the two. I played it a long time ago, and there should still be some pics from then, way back in my pics topic.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 22 2019, 02:15 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

I mostly have Oblivion and Morroblivion going. I spent most of today and yesterday just working on faces for January. I forgot how hard it was to make a decent face in Oblivion. So many of them come out like potatoes! laugh.gif I ended up with one that was ok, but I still wish I could do better.

I played a bit with January in Morrowind. It is a really pleasant feeling of nostalgia, both for Oblivion and for Morrowind. The game engine is Oblivion of course. But they really did a fine job of using Morrowind textures and usually meshes to recreate the original Morrowind. It does look just like Morrowind. The original music is there as well. So far it all seems exactly the same. I found the same dungeons around Seyda Neen. Tarhiel fell from the sky with his scrolls of Icarian Flight. My new Martial Arts mod is working fine too. Though I might still take some time to work on the icon, maybe make the outline transparent.

One mod for Morroblivion I have found to be extremely helpful is the Portal to Vvardenfell. It gives you a spell that creates a portal between Vvardenfell and Cyrodiil. I used that to travel to the Imperial City to get some modded items whose containers I had placed in the IC. I also bought some spells there, and used my Mystic Emporium Enchanting mod to create some new spells. Then I used the portal to return to Morrowind and get back going.

The only thing I am really having problems with is the Morrowind map, which is kind of missing. I am going to have to look into that tomorrow.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 22 2019, 08:52 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 22 2019, 03:15 AM) *
I mostly have Oblivion and Morroblivion going. I spent most of today and yesterday just working on faces for January. I forgot how hard it was to make a decent face in Oblivion. So many of them come out like potatoes! laugh.gif I ended up with one that was ok, but I still wish I could do better.
I always create faces directly in the creaton kit, then set them as a preset. It's easier to create faces this way, because changes are easier to revert compared to the default creator.

So to run MorrOblivion, you fire up Oblivion and then use a portal to enter Vvardenfell?

This post has been edited by Lopov: Aug 22 2019, 09:40 AM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 22 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

I have tried creating faces in the construction set, but they never look the same in the game as they do in the cs. Of course that is the problem with using showracemenu in the game. It looks good when I am creating it, but looks different when I am playing and use TFC to look at my character.

Morroblivion is basically just a set of .esps and their related meshes and textures. There is one main file, plus some extras. If you turn the main file on, starting a new game automatically starts you in Morrowind. The portal to Vvardefell is one of those extra mods that allows you to travel back and forth between the Morrowind world and the regular Oblivion game world.

I did get my map issue fixed. It turns out I was using two map improvement mods at the same time. I deleted one, and now it is fine.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 15 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

There is a new version of OBSE out - version 21. Check it out at Silverlock.org. There is a special obse_loader.exe file for the Gog version of the game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 15 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 15 2020, 01:21 AM) *

There is a new version of OBSE out - version 21. Check it out at Silverlock.org. There is a special obse_loader.exe file for the Gog version of the game.

Yeah I had to have it when I was messing around with My GOG version of Oblivion a few weeks ago.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Dec 6 2023, 02:09 AM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Hmmm, I'm considering getting the GOG version of Oblivion for my current rig, since it doesn't have an optical drive. I was pleased to see it will run on Windows 10/11,which I'm currently using. But it's been years since I played Oblivion, let alone did any modding for it.

Any recommendations/suggestions for a fresh install of Oblivion? I'm using Vortex to manage mods for Skyrim, and I've noticed there are GOG versions of some of these mods. Wondering if it's the same for Oblivion, or will it be different because Oblivion uses a different file structure than the Steam version of Skyrim?

Any advice, tips, and mod suggestions would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Dec 6 2023, 09:30 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

I use GOG Oblivion and it runs beautifully on Win10. You don't need any of the mods that "bring it into the 21st century" like the 4GB patch. They do nothing because it's already patched. It is also partly bug-fixed, so what I read about some doors not opening or other silly things - they just never happen to me. I am not running the Unofficial Patch either which is supposed to fix all this - I think the GOG version already has the biggest bugs fixed. This is just my suspicion though.

I don't know about Vortex, but I see a lot of people using it on Nexus, including with GOG Oblivion, so I suppose you should be fine.

Regarding Steam, I have not seen a single mod that was exclusively for Steam or that would not work for Steam. It generally seems to work, although I do see comments here and there that some people need to do special tricks to ge things working properly on Steam. This mostly has to do with names of folders and resource files - Linux is case-sensitive while Windows is mostly not.

OBSE is now on Nexus, it's called xOBSE because I think it's been picked up by other people. The latest version is 22.9. I've had some strange CTDs with it, for me 22.6 seems to work better. But I could never trace those CTDs to anything specific, so it could be something entirely different. Try it and see. If you drop below 22.6, you may find a few of the most recent mods not working properly because they use features introduced after that, mostly events. On the other hand, there is a nasty inventory handling bug in 22.7 and 22.8 which they've been trying to fix (again) in 22.9, don't know if they managed. One of my mods suffers from it, but remarkably not in my game, whichever version of OBSE I use. Like most elusive bugs, you just have to hit it.

But for the most part it is all nice and stable. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Dec 6 2023, 09:35 AM

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 6 2023, 10:35 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been using the Gog Oblivion on Windows 10 for a few years now, and can say the same. It works fine.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Dec 6 2023, 06:48 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

Thank you both, Lena and Sage Rose, for the quick replies!

I hit a wall with my Skyrim playthrough since Bethsoft updated the CC/Mods section Monday - now the game won’t launch with outdated .dll files. After all the work I put into this mod build I’m kinda pissed. So it’s a matter of waiting for the last five or six mods to update their .dll files (probably over the weekend). I’m thinking of downloading Oblivion from GOG today and getting started on that one.

Have either of you used Oblivion Character Overhaul 2 (OCO2)? I gave the original one a whirl over ten years ago but didn’t care for how it gave every Imperial male a boxer’s nose. This time around I’m a little put off by how Elven faces are managed - I don’t like that line over the brows - it is managed much better in both Skyrim and ESO.

I also saw the earlier discussion of OR, which makes me want to try it again. But I think I’ll try OB without any visual enhancements and see what I like and don’t like.

Is Robert’s Body still the go to body replacer for those who want more realistic bodies (i.e. no boob jobs, thanks)?

I haven’t decided yet on using Slof’s again for the horses . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Dec 6 2023, 08:10 PM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

I tried OCO2 and quickly turned it off. Those aesthetics don't appeal to me, I prefer potato heads. biggrin.gif There are a number of new mods specifically for potato heads, you could look at those. But personally, I just stick with vanilla. It is a matter of taste though, each to his own.

Body replacer - Robert's seems popular. But... yeah, you got it - I stick with vanilla. smile.gif

Regarding texture replacers, I found it depends on your PC. I have an old one and when I tried several texture replacers, they looked nothing like on the screenshots and frankly looked much worse than vanilla on my PC. So you'll need to experiment.

OR: here it depends on the version. The latest version does much more than graphics - it does memory management. This is the only way for me to run Morroblivion and not have it crash every 10 minutes due to overload. But the big disadvantage (for me, anyway) is that it forces you into HDR. My hardward doesn't do it very well, the contrasts are much too high and I prefer Bloom. So again, depends on your PC.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 6 2023, 09:33 PM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

I have never used OCO2, so I cannot comment on it.

I use Bab Final for bodies, and High Resolution Faces for Robert's Body. The latter is purely a texture file replacement to smooth out face textures. So it does not conflict with Bab.

I use Cute Orc Head Replacer, to remove the pig-like heads for orcs.

Finally Corean and Ren's Hairs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 6 2023, 09:47 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

Nay on the subject of OCO2 from me. I'm good at working with potatoes. tongue.gif

Is Robert’s Body still the go to body replacer for those who want more realistic bodies (i.e. no boob jobs, thanks)?

I also use Roberts, and back it up with Robert's Better Necklines. I think that's what it's called. I use Roberts with all my females except one gal. I use HGEC for her. Nice to have all those body-type options. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 6 2023, 09:49 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Dec 6 2023, 10:35 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Now I’ve run into a new problem - the Nine is definitely not smiling on me!

When I start a new game and go through the character screen, it looks like the game won’t recognize my keyboard - I am unable to type in the character name to complete the set up.

I’ve tried running the game .exe and OBSE.exe in Compatibility Mode for Win 8 and in Administrator Mode.

Tired plugging in the wireless keyboard into the USB, tried unplugging the PS4 controller.

All without success. Dang. Not sure what to do next.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Dec 6 2023, 10:39 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Reboot and try again? biggrin.gif

Actually, I had something like that. You say you're using the PS4 controller, but Oblivion doesn't support controllers (properly). Are you also using some utility like Xpadder to map your keyboard to the controller? If so, try turning it off. Also, make sure that you have the controller disabled in Oblivion.ini - search for Joystick.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Dec 6 2023, 11:09 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Tried both suggestions - works now! Thanks!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Dec 7 2023, 02:50 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

I recall having to have something called Archive Invalidation enabled for Oblivion to run. Is that still necessary?

Reason I ask is the game CTDs every time I click on a container. I can’t even get Captain Renault’s weapons.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Dec 7 2023, 03:06 PM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

Archive invalidation is not necessary. Files in your Oblivion\Data folder already override any BSAs. I think it may have been a GOG fix, or may be even an Oblivion fix from Bethesda itself.

Did you install a lot of mods? OBSE? OBSE mods? Perhaps you're hitting that OBSE inventory bug that I mentioned, or possibly it is something entirely different. I'd say try the game without any mods at all, apart from OBSE and get it to work. This way you'll have the OBSE version that agrees with your platform. Then add mods.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:13 PM