Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The First Thing You Felt About Oblivion (or Morrowind), ... When you were a Newbie.
mirocu
post Feb 17 2013, 09:31 AM
Post #41

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 17 2013, 06:16 AM) *

Thanks Destri, and I suppose Renee is fine. Renee is my real first name.

What!? It´s not just your Bethsoft name?? wacko.gif

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 17 2013, 06:16 AM) *

I have yet to try Morrowind. I really wish I had an Xbox back in the early 2000s. If so, I'm sure I'd be a TES veteran with 20,000+ posts on the forums, just like some of you folks. smile.gif

You´ve posted quite alot Renee, so you´re still a veteran (I´m gonna call you Renee here too if that´s ok).

And I think you should try out Morrowind and see what you think. Even if you don´t like it, you´ve still tried it and are entitled to an opinion tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 17 2013, 02:09 PM
Post #42

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 17 2013, 03:31 AM) *

And I think you should try out Morrowind and see what you think. Even if you don´t like it, you´ve still tried it and are entitled to an opinion tongue.gif

Oh I'm sure I will like it. I just haven't got the time for it nowadays. ya know.....there's Kahreem and Saga (and all the writing that goes along with each story), and there's Oblivion RP character ideas I haven't even implemented yet. And I'm still very involved with Skyrim: I've got two characters extant and active in that game.

There's real-life. sad.gif Factor in all these, and it leaves me no time for TES: III. Which kinda sucks. I wish I had been active with Morrowind throughout the early new millenium, instead of some of the crap I slogged thru on the Playstation and PS2.

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 17 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #43

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 17 2013, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 17 2013, 03:31 AM) *

Oh I'm sure I will like it. I just haven't got the time for it nowadays. ya know.....there's Kahreem and Saga (and all the writing that goes along with each story), and there's Oblivion RP character ideas I haven't even implemented yet. And I'm still very involved with Skyrim: I've got two characters extant and active in that game.

There's real-life. sad.gif Factor in all these, and it leaves me no time for TES: III. Which kinda sucks. I wish I had been active with Morrowind throughout the early new millenium, instead of some of the crap I slogged thru on the Playstation and PS2.

Yeah you really missed out. Although you could grab it cheap for PC and then use some of the graphic update mods to make it look better than it ever was back then.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 18 2013, 05:29 PM
Post #44

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 17 2013, 04:17 PM) *

Yeah you really missed out. Although you could grab it cheap for PC and then use some of the graphic update mods to make it look better than it ever was back then.

Oh I don't care about graphics or looks. Actually it might be refreshing if I ever go back and see how it was back then, just pure vanilla. No graphic mods at all. I've seen a couple games that were made years ago that have had an "HD" version made for modern times; I always wind up liking the original better.

If there's a mod for making combat a little more realistic, I might wanna grab that one (assuming I ever get a gaming PC). I have heard that the animation shows weapons going right into the enemy, yet sometimes the game calls it a 'miss'. That would bug me. But graphics? I'd want the original graphics! Sign me up.

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 18 2013, 08:40 PM
Post #45

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 18 2013, 05:29 PM) *

I have heard that the animation shows weapons going right into the enemy, yet sometimes the game calls it a 'miss'. That would bug me. But graphics? I'd want the original graphics! Sign me up.

One graphic mod is imvho essential. Unless of course you are pursuing the vanilla feel or some crap like that tongue.gif
Better Bodies is also highly recommended. These mods doesn´t take away the Morrowind feel in any way, really. They just make it look as it should have looked back then. The worst clunkiness is edged down, not out and the worst seams are blended in.

Yeah, the combat system. It checks your character´s current stats against the weapon skill needed to hit which decides whether you hit or not. Also, fatigue is very important if you want to hit that pesky mudcrab tongue.gif All in all it´s like those tabletop games you are familiar with, Renee.

Progress slow, enjoy Seyda Neen and you´ll be fine smile.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Feb 18 2013, 08:41 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 18 2013, 10:46 PM
Post #46

Forum Bard
Group Icon

There isn't major level scaling in Morrowind so you won't be able to automatically conquer everything in your path at the very start. It is a very different game from basically everything Bethsoft has created since because of this.

As Mirocu explained, the weapons going through targets indictates a miss that was dictated by a lack of skill with the weapon of choice. If you're skilled with short blades but using an axe, you'll miss constantly. It takes some getting used to unless you want to mod the game.

You can train these skills with trainers indefinitely and there isn't a cap of how many times you can train per level in Morrowind as long as you've got the gold.

All in all the landscape is varied and always interesting. One minute you're in a lush green valley and over the mountain into the next region you're in lava filled badlands. The weather is also different between regions with some having rain and some having sandstorms.

Morrowind is great if you can look past the graphics and appreciate a game where skills are an important part of everything. It is also very deep.

Here's what may put you off though and it hardly gets mentioned because lots of Morrowind players don't think about it:

Aside from general stationary NPC dialogue, it is all text based. When you talk to somebody you'll get a menu of topics to select from with some unique and some generic responses to the questions. The whole system is text based. It works very well but the lines aren't voice acted. The barter system is like in Fallout where you can put up a bunch of items and then sell all at once instead of going through mini transactions.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 19 2013, 04:49 AM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 18 2013, 04:46 PM) *

Aside from general stationary NPC dialogue, it is all text based. When you talk to somebody you'll get a menu of topics to select from with some unique and some generic responses to the questions. The whole system is text based. It works very well but the lines aren't voice acted.

That’s one of the first things I remember about Morrowind. When I got to the text conversation options I was just floored. The NPCs had so much to say! For a while I walked my character around and just talked to people. (Then she died rapidly many times in a row. Some bandit cave? Yeah.)

With Morrowind the impression I remember the most is walking out of the boat and hearing the silt strider. It was such a magical world I almost forgot to breathe. I had played Oblivion quite a bit by then and I loved it, but Cyrodiil always felt like a beautiful place with magical creatures. Morrowind was magic.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 19 2013, 04:43 PM
Post #48

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I actually find all the text dialogue immersion breaking, just like with the static trees. I don´t mind it, but it doesn´t do it for me either. If I am to believe the world I need the trees to move in the wind and the people to talk. Just how I roll wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Feb 19 2013, 07:15 PM
Post #49

Mouth
Group Icon

Personally, I prefer the text dialogue to the voice work that Bethesda gives us. In Morrowind the voice work seemed to have more impact ("We're watching you... scum") than it does now. Instead of shelling out for high priced voice talent (Patrick Stewart, Terrence Stamp, Joan Allen, Max Von Sydow) how about you just hire more voice actors? One actor should not be the voice of every single character of a certain race within the game! Especially if that voice actor just doesn't fit the race they are supposed to represent. Really Bethesda? Cockney accents for the Dark Elves? And why do all the Redguards in Skyrim sound like whiny high school sophomores?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 19 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #50

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Feb 19 2013, 12:15 PM) *

Personally, I prefer the text dialogue to the voice work that Bethesda gives us. In Morrowind the voice work seemed to have more impact ("We're watching you... scum") than it does now. Instead of shelling out for high priced voice talent (Patrick Stewart, Terrence Stamp, Joan Allen, Max Von Sydow) how about you just hire more voice actors? One actor should not be the voice of every single character of a certain race within the game! Especially if that voice actor just doesn't fit the race they are supposed to represent. Really Bethesda? Cockney accents for the Dark Elves? And why do all the Redguards in Skyrim sound like whiny high school sophomores?

See, that's one of the things that irritates me also about the games. I didn't even play Morrowind beyond ten minutes, but in Oblivion I got REALLY tired of hearing the same 8 actors and actresses voicing the races.

And in Skyrim... some of the women made me want to gouge my ears out XD

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Feb 19 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

On the contrary, I never had troubles with voice acting, I don't actually care if the same actor voices entire race if that provides more dialogue.

But on topic... first thing I felt about Oblivion was nothing special. I started to really appreciate the game much later, probably because I was used only to old-school RPGs before and what bothered me the most was 3rd person, I was used to 'view from above' games like Baldur's gate, Commandos et cetera...

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 21 2013, 01:31 AM
Post #52

Mouth
Group Icon

Yeah, the combat system. It checks your character´s current stats against the weapon skill needed to hit which decides whether you hit or not.

Oh yes, I know this. It's like rolling dice; either you hit or you miss. I don't have a problem with this sort of system. My problem would be with seeing the animation as a "hit" yet the game rewards my character as a miss. It would take me a long time to get used to this!

So far as the text goes, I wouldn't mind lots of text. There's a lot of games I used to play that didn't have voice acting (we all used to play them, right?) older versions of Final Fantasy, Zelda, and lots of others.

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 21 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #53

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 21 2013, 01:31 AM) *

So far as the text goes, I wouldn't mind lots of text. There's a lot of games I used to play that didn't have voice acting (we all used to play them, right?) older versions of Final Fantasy, Zelda, and lots of others.

Yes, but we got so spoiled with Oblivion´s abundant VA! laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 21 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #54

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 21 2013, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 21 2013, 01:31 AM) *

Yes, but we got so spoiled with Oblivion´s abundant VA! laugh.gif

Well I think Bethsoft really morphed into a much larger and better funded company after Morrowind. Technology had improved drastically so a fully voice acted game was much easier to accomplish at the time that Oblivion was being created.

I don't mind the fully text games but I prefer voice acting. I just wish that they'd get a couple of new voice actors and I wish that the beast races and dark elves still had unique voices.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 21 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #55

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 21 2013, 10:11 PM) *

I don't mind the fully text games but I prefer voice acting. I just wish that they'd get a couple of new voice actors and I wish that the beast races and dark elves still had unique voices.

Seconded big time. Famous actors don´t mean squat if it means having less actors in total. I like Patrick Stewart as much as the next guy, but he says so little anyway in the game as a whole so I could so easily live without him wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 21 2013, 10:26 PM
Post #56

Councilor
Group Icon

Voice acting causes big issues with mods not being able to duplicate an actor's voice when they add to a character's dialog. It's bad enough when beggars change their tone of voice when they're not actually begging, but having the actor's voice change to someone else's from the greeting to the next line is very immersion-killing.

I'd be happy with a voiced greeting, and then all dialog being silent after that.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 21 2013, 10:54 PM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 21 2013, 03:26 PM) *

Voice acting causes big issues with mods not being able to duplicate an actor's voice when they add to a character's dialog. It's bad enough when beggars change their tone of voice when they're not actually begging, but having the actor's voice change to someone else's from the greeting to the next line is very immersion-killing.

I'd be happy with a voiced greeting, and then all dialog being silent after that.

There was a beggar in Bruma, an old Nord man, who upon first greeting, sounded like a worn and tired old man. But when you explored other dialogue options, he sounded like the rest of the Nords XD

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 22 2013, 12:58 AM
Post #58

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Same thing with patrons at the arena. Basically any time there's a generic line of dialogue like a rumor the character's tone changes completely.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ThatSkyrimGuy
post May 15 2013, 05:01 AM
Post #59

Finder
Group Icon

Morrowind was my first TES game. I was amazed. Then I got Oblivion. I was AMAZED! Then I got Oblivion with guns...a.k.a Fallout 3. I was freakin amazed! Now I have Skyrim. I am FREAKIN AMAZED!

Needless to say, I find the games amazing... rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
A Question of Fate is my Skyrim Fic
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post May 16 2013, 01:52 AM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

The first thing I felt about oblivion?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

rollinglaugh.gif

Seriously. I had NO clue whatsoever what the hell I was doing. The main questline and the thieves guild questline pissed me off SO much, lol

--------------------
Bruh ☠ï¸
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:17 AM