202 Pages V « < 134 135 136 137 138 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
hazmick
post Jun 23 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #2701

Mouth
Group Icon

3 films today: London Has Fallen, X-Men Apocalypse, and Warcraft.

If you've seen Olympus Has Fallen, then London is pretty much the same but with more special effects. Gerard Butler protects the president, shoots lots of bad guys, shoots some more, explosions happen, the end.

X-Men was quite enjoyable, but these origin films are just a bit confusing. It's never clear if this is an alternate timeline, or if the old films are still considered canon at all. I like X-Men, but this was one of the weaker films in my opinion.

Warcraft was also quite fun. The story was average, but I really like the way the orcs look and the special effects were well worth however much money Blizzard chucked at them. This was the best looking advertisement for a video game I've ever seen. I just wish the film had slowed down and had some decent dialogue and character building rather than jumping from one fight to the next without much explanation. Travis Fimmel did a decent job as Lothar, but I much prefer him in Vikings.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2016, 02:01 AM
Post #2702

Ancient
Group Icon

That is what I expected from all three of those films! London Has Fallen went straight to be ignore list. While I plan to Netflix both Apocalypse and Warcraft once they are out on disc.

I had some fun moments in Wiseguy's Dead Dog arc these last few days, recognizing the same actors playing different characters in different story arcs. The first was a guy hosting a record company party in the Dead Dog arc, who also plays a film critic in the Lynchboro story arc. The other is the dealer in a high stakes poker game in the Dead Dog arc, who is none other than No-Money Mahoney from the Sonny Steelgrave arc! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 23 2016, 01:20 PM
Post #2703

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 23 2016, 12:57 AM) *

3 films today: London Has Fallen, X-Men Apocalypse, and Warcraft.

If you've seen Olympus Has Fallen, then London is pretty much the same but with more special effects. Gerard Butler protects the president, shoots lots of bad guys, shoots some more, explosions happen, the end.

X-Men was quite enjoyable, but these origin films are just a bit confusing. It's never clear if this is an alternate timeline, or if the old films are still considered canon at all. I like X-Men, but this was one of the weaker films in my opinion.

Warcraft was also quite fun. The story was average, but I really like the way the orcs look and the special effects were well worth however much money Blizzard chucked at them. This was the best looking advertisement for a video game I've ever seen. I just wish the film had slowed down and had some decent dialogue and character building rather than jumping from one fight to the next without much explanation. Travis Fimmel did a decent job as Lothar, but I much prefer him in Vikings.

Because going to the cinema is becoming increasingly - and absurdly - expensive, we're having to be a bit more choosy about what we see...So there was a straight choice between TMNT2 and Warcraft...

We chose wrong, it appears... kvleft.gif ...*Le sigh*...Still, this is what DVDs are for...

X-Men we did enjoy, though...Much fun!...And while it was quite as good as the other two McAvoy ones, I enjoyed it far more than any of the X-Mens that were done a while ago...

I couldn't stand Olympus Has Fallen...

I've got no problem with a single agent taking apart a highly trained gang of insurgents...Fine...No problem whatsoever...And yet...Couldn't stand it...Just got right on my nerves...Not watching the second one, that's for sure...
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 23 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #2704

Councilor
Group Icon

Supernatural...After 11 series/seasons, it's still awesome and fun...

Also...McWife is rewatching Quantum Leap...I managed to catch one where Sam Beckett leapt into a chimp called Bobo...(He'd been training to be a Space Chimp™ for NASA)...Anyways...Am I the only one that thinks that Scott Bakula should really have been one of the biggest actors, like, Ever?...Bloody awesome man!...

I do love NCIS: New Orleans though...Proper awesome!...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jun 23 2016, 09:00 PM
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 23 2016, 11:19 PM
Post #2705

Councilor
Group Icon

Went to see the Conjuring 2. Much to the amusement of the guys next to us, I screamed. Mr. Grits assures me that I was not the only one. ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2016, 11:52 PM
Post #2706

Ancient
Group Icon

Don't feel bad one man died watching that movie, and then his body vanished! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 24 2016, 04:31 AM
Post #2707

Councilor
Group Icon

I shall miss Penny Dreadful when it ends...That's been both fun and silly... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 25 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #2708

Ancient
Group Icon

I am in the middle of Creed. Excellent movie.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 1 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #2709

Master
Group Icon

I'm cheating here, not having watched into feature length movies lately. Just want to mention that Olivia de Havilland, partner of Errol Flynn in many classic Hollywood swashbucklers and last surviving major actor of Gone With the Wind, amongst other honorifics, turns 100 today, 1 Jul 2016! The only movies of hers in my collection, to the best of my recollection, are GWTW on laserdisc and The Adventures of Robin Hood on both laserdisc and DVD.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jul 2 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #2710

Master
Group Icon

I watched little clips from an anime called Mary the Virgin Witch and I must say, the medieval combat I saw depicted there was..... MOST REALISTIC. I'm not kidding here. Totally legit. I mean listen; there was this one guy who used a single-armed underhook to trap and neutralize his enemy's weapon arm. He then finished him off with a shield bash upper cut. I was surprised the first time I saw it. I'm super eager to give this one a try, and maybe you guys -if you're interested in stuff like this- should too.

This post has been edited by Uleni Athram: Jul 2 2016, 03:55 PM

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Jul 2 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #2711

Councilor
Group Icon

Just watched Kingsman: The Secret Service

It's a bloody awesome film. It's like a proper, classic Bond film, but with a little comedy thrown in to smooth things out. biggrin.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 2 2016, 04:20 PM
Post #2712

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jul 2 2016, 10:49 AM) *

I watched little clips from an anime called Mary the Virgin Witch and I must say, the medieval combat I saw depicted there was..... MOST REALISTIC. I'm not kidding here. Totally legit. I mean listen; there was this one guy who used a single-armed underhook to trap and neutralize his enemy's weapon arm. He then finished him off with a shield bash upper cut. I was surprised the first time I saw it. I'm super eager to give this one a try, and maybe you guys -if you're interested in stuff like this- should too.

Thanks to Decrepit's review of it a while back, I bought it on dvd. Like you said, the real life longswording is terrific to see. There is another scene where a guy takes an arming sword with one hand half way down the blade, and morte strikes his enemy over and over again on the head with it, using the crossguard like a club.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jul 2 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #2713

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 3 2016, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jul 2 2016, 10:49 AM) *

Thanks to Decrepit's review of it a while back, I bought it on dvd. Like you said, the real life longswording is terrific to see. There is another scene where a guy takes an arming sword with one hand half way down the blade, and morte strikes his enemy over and over again on the head with it, using the crossguard like a club.

That was terrific to watch as well! Galfa (I think his name was) cemented himself as a smart and dirty fighter when he waited for his enemy to do such a straightforward move. Smart tactics and murder stroke FTW!

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 3 2016, 01:28 AM
Post #2714

Ancient
Group Icon

I started watching the American version of The Bridge. I tried watching it once before, but could not get into it. I think because it was shortly after I had seen the original Swedish/Danish version of it. But now that I have not seen Bron/Broen for a few years, I can accept the US version on its own merits.

It does mostly follow the original Scandinavian version, but with the twist of the Mexican border and its attendant drug cartels tossed in for good measure. I was pleased to see that Ramon Franco is a regular. He was one of my favorites from Tour of Duty, many years ago. Diane Kruger does a good job of playing the slightly autistic American detective, and Demian Birchir is fantastic as her Mexican counterpart.

I am liking it. But I still have to admit that the original was better. Plus, I do have to admit disappointment in their choice of the Bridge of the Americans between Texas and Mexico for the titular bridge. I would have preferred the Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor. We have plenty of murder, violence, and corruption here in The D. Certainly more than Copenhagen!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 3 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #2715

Ancient
Group Icon

I'm on one of the last episodes of Wiseguy - when Steven Bauer stepped in for Ken Wahl. At one point he is staying in the Niagra hotel, which has a neon sign like a waterfall. Well, I was watching an X-Files episode just earlier this week - Beyond the Sea, and the same hotel with the exact same sign was in it too! It was even a plot point.

I am sure the reason is James Wong. I have been noticing his name lately, because he was a producer of both Wiseguy and X-Files. Both shows were also filmed in Vancouver. So obviously he liked the hotel sign, and decided to use it again!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Jul 7 2016, 07:30 AM
Post #2716

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm about to start rewatching Vikings again, because it's a bloody awesome series.

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 23 2016, 12:57 AM) *

I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother with Apocalypse, I'm not really a fan of the younger X-Men. First Class was such a continuity cluster**** that it can't exist in the same timeline as the first three films. Then they tried to integrate it instead of simply scrapping it with Days of Future Past, which admittedly is a damn good film. But the ending makes any film featuring the younger X-Men pretty much redundant, since we know that everything works out just fine since Logan woke up in the present(or the future, relatively speaking). And it does leave the impression that it's removed the original films from canon, which in my opinion is a mistake. But some bright spark probably decided they'll sell more films with a younger cast.

And to be blunt, I just don't think the casting is as good. Fassbender and Mcavoy are both good actors, but Patrick Stewart was pretty much the perfect man to play Xavier, and Ian Mckellan was brilliant as Magneto.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Jul 7 2016, 07:31 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 14 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #2717

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished The Final Girls. It was a delightful satire of 80s horror films, in which the characters are people who have been pulled into a Friday The 13th-like slasher film. They even hear the sound effects of the big bad before he approaches.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Jul 15 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #2718

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm watching Alien.

I'm disappointed. It's bland, predictable(barring the robotic science guy, but that just comes across as pure WTF rather than a plot twist or anything), and the characters are either useless(Lambert takes the prize for that), annoying(too close to call out anyone in particular), or moronic(frankly its Darwin Awards all round).

This film is nothing but a catalogue of idiocy, from start to finish. So far no-one has taken a single intelligent action, and I'm counting from the moment the scriptwriter got started. And then there are the numerous inconsistencies scattered throughout the film.

And don't get me wrong, I love cats. But with an alien killing machine loose on the ship, there is no power in the universe that could make me go looking for the cat, without anyone to watch my back. Especially considering that's what got one of the crew killed. I think Ripley cares more about that cat than she did most of the crew.

The only thing I like is some of the visuals, and beyond finding it amusing that the future has never looked so out of date, the age of the film really doesn't register.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 16 2016, 02:41 AM
Post #2719

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I'm watching Back to the Future. Just as good as it ever was!

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 16 2016, 03:28 AM
Post #2720

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Jul 15 2016, 09:41 PM) *

I'm watching Back to the Future. Just as good as it ever was!

That reminds me of a movie quote!

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 134 135 136 137 138 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:35 AM