Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
McBadgere
post Aug 19 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #401

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(The excellent Subrosa)
That is the new one without Matt Damon right? It seems weird to me to have a Bourne movie without Jason Bourne.

Yeah...I know what you mean...Espescially as it's set while one of the Matt Damon ones is going on in the background...

Jeremy Renner is very good in it...He's very convincing...Mind you, he was good in Mission Impossible and The Avengers...And Rachel Weiss (Weitz? wench from The Mummy anyways) is gorgeous...But...it's so unbelievably slow in places...Muuuch talkie...And Ed Norton just gets on my nerves...

And seriously...The end happens...And I was like..."What?...Where's the rest?...Umm..."...

Not a bad film at all...Worth watching in the cinema, yes...But...I was expecting better, I will admit...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Aug 19 2012, 09:13 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 25 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #402

Councilor
Group Icon

The Expendables 2...

It really is the best thing I've seen this year...It doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, yet it is still an amazing film...It's sooooo well done...

And my God it's funny... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Heather V
post Aug 31 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #403

Retainer

Anybody else excited about the new Resident Evil movie?

--------------------
Heather V as in Heather 'Vee', not Heather 'the fifth'...

Love&Hugs
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #404

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Heather V @ Aug 31 2012, 01:47 PM) *

Anybody else excited about the new Resident Evil movie?

Welcome Heather! I take it you are related to V? wink.gif

Do you mean RE: Damnation? I have been hoping for another animated Resident Evil move ever since Degeneration. That was fantastic! I cannot wait for Damnation to be available on Netflix next month.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 31 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #405

Councilor
Group Icon

The wife wants to see that one...Not a big zombie fan meself...But, we do what we must eh?...

Just finished The Return of The King...So that's the three of them done in three weeks...Ouchie *Massages temples*...That'll be that for another ten years then... biggrin.gif ...Hobbit next...
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Sep 2 2012, 03:29 AM
Post #406

Councilor
Group Icon

The new series of Doctor Who!!... biggrin.gif ...*Sighs contentedly*...

All is well again...And I definately didn't see that coming...*Applauds*...No...I'm not telling you...Watch it... biggrin.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Sep 2 2012, 03:30 AM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 17 2012, 11:47 PM
Post #407

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched Captain America again yesterday, and I noticed a few things that got my mind whirring. First, when Cap rescues the Howlers and the other guys from the 107th from the Hydra base, Bucky was not in the holding cells. He was in some kind of laboratory, strapped to a table. Just before Cap gets there, Zola leaves that room in a hurry. What was old Zoly doing to Bucky?

Second, when Bucky dies, he falls to his death down a ravine and into a frozen river. Does this strike anyone as being a little bit like what happens to Cap himself at the end of the movie? Cap did not die being frozen. So...

I think Bucky is the Winter Soldier that the second Captain America movie is named after. I think Zola tried to duplicate the super-soldier serum, and used him for a guinea pig. Whether he did anything else - like Diabolical Mind Control - while he was at it, who knows?

Plus, Sebastian Stan, who played Bucky, is already billed as being in Cap A: Winter Soldier. So if not him, than who?

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Sep 18 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #408

Councilor
Group Icon

Ooooh, I had forgotten that...Well, the wife will be pleased...She's got a thing for the Hatter in Once Upon A Time...

Oh, and the Huntsman...

Oh...And Rumplestiltskin...Which is an odd one, but hey-ho... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Sep 19 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #409

Master
Group Icon

Just saw Judge Dredd, and I must say, I was pretty damn impressed. I came into the cinema expecting a movie about two badass cops fighting their way up a skyscraper full of bad guys, sort of like a futuristic version of The Raid (another movie released this year about badass cops fighting their way up a skyscraper full of bad guys) and to a large extent, yes it was indeed about two badass cops fighting their way up a skyscraper full of bad guys. And yet surprisingly for an action fim, a genre I'm generally rather skeptical about, it was really, really good; the pacing was spot on, Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby did an excellent job in the respective roles of the hardened, dispassionate Judge Dredd and the inexperienced and somewhat naive Judge Anderson, and the cinematography was lead by a surprisingly artistic hand. There's a lot of gore and violence, and if that's not really your thing then I recommend you steer clear, but if you like a good shoot-em-up movie then Judge Dredd is definitely a film you'll want to see.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 19 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #410

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Sep 19 2012, 04:36 AM) *

Just saw Judge Dredd, and I must say, I was pretty damn impressed. I came into the cinema expecting a movie about two badass cops fighting their way up a skyscraper full of bad guys, sort of like a futuristic version of The Raid (another movie released this year about badass cops fighting their way up a skyscraper full of bad guys) and to a large extent, yes it was indeed about two badass cops fighting their way up a skyscraper full of bad guys. And yet surprisingly for an action fim, a genre I'm generally rather skeptical about, it was really, really good; the pacing was spot on, Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby did an excellent job in the respective roles of the hardened, dispassionate Judge Dredd and the inexperienced and somewhat naive Judge Anderson, and the cinematography was lead by a surprisingly artistic hand. There's a lot of gore and violence, and if that's not really your thing then I recommend you steer clear, but if you like a good shoot-em-up movie then Judge Dredd is definitely a film you'll want to see.

It was a LONG time ago when I saw this, but it surprised me too. I did like it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Sep 19 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #411

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 19 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Eh? I swear it's only been out a bit longer than a week. I'm not sure it's even been released in the States yet... huh.gif

Unless you mean the 1995 movie, which was an awful film because Dredd took off his helmet AND DREDD DOES NOT TAKE OFF HIS HELMET!!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 19 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #412

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Sep 19 2012, 05:52 AM) *

Eh? I swear it's only been out a bit longer than a week. I'm not sure it's even been released in the States yet... huh.gif

Unless you mean the 1995 movie, which was an awful film because Dredd took off his helmet AND DREDD DOES NOT TAKE OFF HIS HELMET!!

ROFL !!! The helmet did it? ROFL !! It was probably the older one I saw then. I do think I remember seeing Stallone's head. (but since he raises the same dogs I do, I didn't mind).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 19 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #413

Councilor
Group Icon

I think it starts this week. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Sep 19 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #414

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 19 2012, 10:59 AM) *
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Sep 19 2012, 05:52 AM) *

ROFL !!! The helmet did it? ROFL !! It was probably the older one I saw then. I do think I remember seeing Stallone's head. (but since he raises the same dogs I do, I didn't mind).

Well, from most of the accounts I've heard about it was pretty dire in any case, but the helmet is still very important! wink.gif
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 19 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #415

Mouth
Group Icon

Finally got round to watching Prometheus and I must say that I enjoyed it thoroughly. I have heard loads of negative reviews about it so I wasn't sure what to expect, then again I might just be easily amused by special effects and spaceships. kvleft.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 23 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #416

Master
Group Icon

Besides our usual Netflix rotation (Monk, Numbers, Glee, and Crossing Jordan)... started Boomtown.

It is an L.A. cop show- but with a twist: the stories are told in a nonlinear fashion, cutting from the point-of-view of police, victims, criminals, etc. Stars include Donnie Wahlberg and fellow Band of Brothers alum Neal McDonough. Mykelti Williamson (Bubba in Forest Gump) does a brilliant job as Iraqi war vet turned detective Fearless Smith.

The show only ran one season and 6 episodes of the second. Add it to the list of "police shows with a difference" that Mrs. Treydog and I really like that died untimely deaths (Life, The Unusuals...)

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 24 2012, 01:09 AM
Post #417

Ancient
Group Icon

I am watching Torchwood. A friend of mine has harped on me for over a year to watch it. It has been in my Netflix rotation for almost that long. I finally got the first disc a few weeks ago. Wow, after watching that one disc I went out and bought all four seasons on blu-ray. It is that good.

I am not a big Dr. Who fan, which is what kept me from watching sooner. But thankfully you do not need to have seen Doc Who to follow what goes on. The story telling is absolutely stellar. It is character-driven, and they give us a very interesting bunch of people to get to know. The episodes are usually self-contained, but each builds on what came before, and characters change because of what has happened to them. So it still gives us a single-overarching story throughout the show.

While it can be light-hearted at times, the themes are very mature. Because it is British television, they do not shy away from same-sex relationships. I am just starting the second season, and I have seen girl-on-girl and man-on-man kissing more often than girl-on-guy, which is a very refreshing change. The episode with James Marsters was a ton of fun, he has a great kiss with the male lead - John Barrowman. Though there was another done a few episode before that was just heartbreaking. Extraordinarily well done.

The other mature theme we see a lot in Torchwood is death, including suicide. Characters die in this series. Not just because the villain of the week kills them to get the episode rolling, but because they cannot go on living with the way the world has screwed them over. Other times it is simply fated (time-travel happens a lot in this show). That second kiss above was a situation like that. The other man was going to die the next day, Captain Jack knew it, and there was nothing he could do about it.

The bottom line, this show is filled with 100% win.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 24 2012, 01:11 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 3 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #418

Master
Group Icon

What have I just watched? Why, only the Royal Opera House's complete run of Wagner's Ring Cycle, of course.

*Puffs pipe, adjusts top hat, jiggles monocle and takes a moment to generally look rather classy*

For someone who isn't really a massive opera person, and in an opera series that is somewhat infamous for being both rather heavy and a good sixteen hours in length, I had a pretty good time, overall (sans several occasions where, thanks to it being warm and dark and me being in a comfortable seat, I fell asleep). I personally found the first two operas, Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold) and Die Wal[i]küre[/i] (The Valkyrie), to be the most enjoyable of the cycle, and found the most engaging characters and story arcs to be in those, along with the full playing of Wagner's famous Ride of the Valkyries. The third opera, Siegfried, just dragged a lot and considering how much time Wanger spent rehashing stuff the audience already knew (aaargh!) I reckon it could have easily been an hour shorter, but I was most disappointed by the fourth and final opera, Götterdämmerung. For an opera whose title translates as The Twilight of the Gods, the Aesir that we had seen in the previous operas, including the fascinating Wotan (Read: Odin) were notably absent and a whole slew of new characters were introduced into the equation in a rather incongruous manner, especially when the story could have worked in a similar manner, or even more effectively, if these newcomers had their roles played by those of the gods; I suspect Wagner merely had them in there so he could show off some new musical motifs of his.

But overall, I liked it, and the pseudo-Norse/Valhallan setting did get me itching to play Skyrim again once I'm finished with Borderlands 2.

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Oct 3 2012, 04:11 PM
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Nov 9 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #419

Councilor
Group Icon

We just watched Immortals... huh.gif ...

blink.gif ...

I was really hoping I'd enjoy it...

Sadly, it was utter balls...
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Nov 13 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #420

Councilor
Group Icon

The Decoy Bride...It's a really sweet film, kind of in the Local Hero/Leap Year/The Proposal vein...

I really enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would...Excellent film...
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:31 AM