71 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?
Alexander
post Oct 11 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #21

Wizard
Group Icon

Well, I've finally read American gods by Neil Gaiman. I've been meaning to for a long time but never got around to it. I'm currently rereading Tolkien books, finished the Hobbit today and now off to start on The Lord of the Rings.

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Oct 11 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #22

Mage
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alexander @ Oct 11 2008, 04:17 PM) *

Well, I've finally read American gods by Neil Gaiman. I've been meaning to for a long time but never got around to it. I'm currently rereading Tolkien books, finished the Hobbit today and now off to start on The Lord of the Rings.

No Silmarillion or Children of Hurin? tongue.gif

I'm currently rereading the Serpentwar Saga (Raymond E. Feist) for the 4th or 5th time... more specifically, Rise of a Merchant Prince. After that I finish with that lot... probably more Feist, till I read up to the latest one I have.

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
seerauna
post Nov 4 2008, 06:30 AM
Post #23

Finder
Group Icon

I am about to begin rereading all seventeen Shannara books by Terry Brooks. My friends and teachers all stare at me when I bring out a book about 2-3 inches thick lol.

--------------------
The arrow flies to kill
From the string it races
It’s only moments until,
It strikes.

Shadow in Darkness- My first ongoing FanFic!
+Quote Post
Olen
post Nov 4 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #24

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm bogged down between two books just now: Feersum Endjinn by Iain Banks is great except that a quarter of it is in a rediculous made up english which is almost unreadable, and as far as I can see unnessesary. Still its got a good plot and the usual bizarreness of Banks.

The other is a fairly heavy translation of Beyond God and Evil which I'm really enjoying even with its two page plus sentences.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Nov 4 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #25

Mage
Group Icon

So, after reading every Feist book in my possession bar the Empire Trilogy, including the latest one, Wrath of a Mad God (good, but not what I had hoped, and there was a couple of annoying inconsistencies with earlier books) I'm now back to reading Dan Abnett again. More specifically, First and Only, the first of many books about Gaunt's Ghosts.

--------------------
IPB Image

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Nov 4 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #26

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wolfie @ Oct 11 2008, 11:52 PM) *

No Silmarillion or Children of Hurin? tongue.gif

hehe, nope, not this time. I've read Silmarillion twice, and while it is fun, it's not as fun as some of the others. Children I've only read once, right after purchasing it.

QUOTE(Wolfie @ Nov 4 2008, 08:08 PM) *

including the latest one, Wrath of a Mad God (good, but not what I had hoped, and there was a couple of annoying inconsistencies with earlier books)

I felt the same way. Minwanabi Vassals to the Acoma? What the.....

Terribly disappointing reading such obvious flaws in the authors memory. (I'm guessing he meant Anasati as the vassals, not resurrecting a dead house.)

Right now I'm reading "Necronomicon, the best weird tales of H.P. Lovecraft." This is simply awesome. I'd read some of his work previously, a long time ago, but in Dutch. And again I'm proving myself right when I feel books are best read in the author's native tongue. A dutch version of HP Lovecraft doesn't begin to do justice to the creepiness and mystery of reading it in English. I'm at "The Dunwich Horror" right now and it's proven one of the best.

So anyone who enjoys horror, and hasn't read HP Lovecraft previously, I can definitely recommend his work.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Nov 5 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #27

Mage
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alexander @ Nov 4 2008, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Wolfie @ Nov 4 2008, 08:08 PM) *

including the latest one, Wrath of a Mad God (good, but not what I had hoped, and there was a couple of annoying inconsistencies with earlier books)

I felt the same way. Minwanabi Vassals to the Acoma? What the.....

Terribly disappointing reading such obvious flaws in the authors memory. (I'm guessing he meant Anasati as the vassals, not resurrecting a dead house.)

There was 3 others I noticed, as well. We had Ryath changing from a female golden dragon to a male red dragon. Then there was Kitty, Erik VonDarkmoor's wife, being erased from existence when it was stated he never married. And then we had the original ancestral Acoma home still being in their hands, even though it was given to Lujan when he started his own noble house. It's entirely possible there was other ones, too, I just missed them.

--------------------
IPB Image

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Nov 5 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #28

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wolfie @ Nov 5 2008, 12:12 AM) *

There was 3 others I noticed, as well. We had Ryath changing from a female golden dragon to a male red dragon. Then there was Kitty, Erik VonDarkmoor's wife, being erased from existence when it was stated he never married. And then we had the original ancestral Acoma home still being in their hands, even though it was given to Lujan when he started his own noble house. It's entirely possible there was other ones, too, I just missed them.

All true yeah, and the one where they hinted so badly at the young guy (can't think of his name) that they find a few books earlier, containing a spark of the nameless one in him, and now all of a sudden it's a spark of a lost warrior god from that realm. Another change.

But really, I could have accepted one or two of these things, like the changing of a divine spark, and Kitty without too much trouble, but I thought Minwanabi was probably the biggest thing changed around, I mean two out of three books of the Empire Trilogy centered around the conflict between them and the Acoma, and for them to be resurrected, sheesh.

On another forum I have heard some wild theories though, about a mirror universe, different dimensions where things happened differently etc. I'm not sure if there's really a chance for such a thing to be brought up in a latter book and it's not simply a case of an author gone sloppy, but I guess a very small part of me still holds out some hope that the author will address these things in a latter book and make them right again. (Talk about idle hope eh wink.gif )

--------------------
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Dec 21 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #29

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

I don't think that I have ever recommended a fantasy trilogy before, yet the best books I've read in 2008 have been just that. Step forward newcomer Brent Weeks and his "Night Angel" trilogy - "The Way of the Shadows" "Shadows Edge" and "Beyond The Shadows". They've all come out in the last 2 months, and I highly recommend them. Best fantasy series I've ever read. Ever. I've never felt more inspired to get writing again, they've reminded me of just how entertaining a really good fantasy series can be.
+Quote Post
Badda-Tish
post Jan 4 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #30

Agent

i´m reading the last Eragon book, it´s very good. And something I always have wanted to read is Mao's little red book.

--------------------
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 4 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

Currently reading Refuge, by Terry Tempest Williams. Also saw her give a reading from her most recent book back in September in Missoula. She was hanging out there as visiting writer in my Environmental Studies program.

This post has been edited by canis216: Jan 4 2009, 04:23 PM

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 4 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #32

Knower
Group Icon

I'm readin' The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, and it is very cool. It's a lot different from King's usual stuff, since this is his own fantasy world.

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jan 4 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

Two books, as I always do. One political/philosophical and one fiction.

Currently a 1921 reprint of an 1866 edition of The Republic of Plato, I like reading old books. Its also surprising what a facist Plato was.

And Stephen King's, The Stand. Its an uncut edition which to be honest is far too uncut but its still good tense stuff.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
TelvanniMaster
post Jan 5 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #34

Associate

I recently received Crime and Punishment for Christmas. Plan on reading that. I think it might be fun. smile.gif
+Quote Post
minque
post Jan 5 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #35

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(TelvanniMaster @ Jan 5 2009, 01:20 AM) *

I recently received Crime and Punishment for Christmas. Plan on reading that. I think it might be fun. smile.gif

Ahh a good thing, even if the book is rather dark, it's a classic. I wish you many good reading-hours!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
milanius
post Jan 6 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #36

Agent

One of few good things that came out of my [limited] monetary ability this C.Eve was that I got Clive Barker's "Damnation Game", Pern Trilogy by Anne McAfree and Lowecraft's short stories collection. I've done Barker and right now I'm finishing up 3rd Pern Book.

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
seerauna
post Jan 8 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #37

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Olen @ Jan 4 2009, 11:24 AM) *
And Stephen King's, The Stand. Its an uncut edition which to be honest is far too uncut but its still good tense stuff.

I have to agree about it being too uncut. Sometimes he spends too much time on little details we don't need to know too. Be careful with the uncut edition, it's looong and it took me a few weeks to read and I normally finish books in a couple of days. It was very good though, tense and suspensful, and very much worth the read.

--------------------
The arrow flies to kill
From the string it races
It’s only moments until,
It strikes.

+Quote Post
Olen
post Jan 8 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #38

Mouth
Group Icon

I picked it up for £2 second hand, otherwise I'd never buy an 'uncut' edition, if the editor cut it there's a good reason (the only exception I've come accross so far was Feist's Magician which the uncut version certainly didn't need cutting, but that was his first book IIRC).

And yes it does wander and have irrelivant section but I survived Tad Williams' Otherland quadrilogy (in the name of all thats holy don't read it) so I'm immune to waffling.

--------------------
+Quote Post
seerauna
post Jan 10 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #39

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Olen @ Jan 8 2009, 07:32 AM) *

I picked it up for £2 second hand, otherwise I'd never buy an 'uncut' edition, if the editor cut it there's a good reason (the only exception I've come accross so far was Feist's Magician which the uncut version certainly didn't need cutting, but that was his first book IIRC).

And yes it does wander and have irrelivant section but I survived Tad Williams' Otherland quadrilogy (in the name of all thats holy don't read it) so I'm immune to waffling.

Yea it has alot of irrelevant sections in it. I was thinking about getting that series too, hmm. I'll take your advice and not get it.

Being the teenage girl I am, I had to get the Twilight saga. I really liked and I even got my mom and step mom, my aunt, and my grandma to read it. Very entertaining and Stephanie Meyer gor her inspiration from Pride and Prejudice (sp?). Very addicting too, trust me. wink.gif

--------------------
The arrow flies to kill
From the string it races
It’s only moments until,
It strikes.

+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jan 10 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #40

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(BSD-IES @ Dec 21 2008, 12:17 AM) *

I don't think that I have ever recommended a fantasy trilogy before, yet the best books I've read in 2008 have been just that. Step forward newcomer Brent Weeks and his "Night Angel" trilogy - "The Way of the Shadows" "Shadows Edge" and "Beyond The Shadows". They've all come out in the last 2 months, and I highly recommend them. Best fantasy series I've ever read. Ever. I've never felt more inspired to get writing again, they've reminded me of just how entertaining a really good fantasy series can be.

Okay, note to self. Never, ever post a comment like this up anywhere again, straight after finishing a series.

QUOTE(BSD-IES @ Dec 21 2008, 12:17 AM) *
Best fantasy series I've ever read. Ever.

Oh good lord. There's no objectivity at all present there, just excitement from having put the final book down about 15 minutes before posting that comment. Lets try to give a more balanced comment shall we?

It’s bloody good. There’s the simple truth. It's not the best fantasy trilogy ever written, but it is bloody good. It’s very much in the style of George R.R. Martin – smaller in scale though obviously – with a very gritty feel to the world. Like Martin it uses a technique I’m not usually fond of, multiple 3rd person viewpoints, each chapter from one of the characters eyes – which drives me insane sometimes, I have to fight the urge to skip over several chapters to find out what happens next with the current character.

It's very exciting (he knows how to write action sequences, I'll give him that), very inventive and very ambitious. Which is staggering considering they are the author’s debut novels.

So, to sum up. Whilst it’s not quite as inventive as Tim Powers or Neil Gaiman, not quite as beautifully realised a world as Bujold or Martin and not quite as well written as Gene Wolfe, it’s still a superb work, that impressed me no end – and by far the best new fantasy series that I've read in the last few years. I feel confident that fans of “A Song Of Ice and Fire” won’t be disappointed. For what it’s worth I highly recommend it.

That's a bit better isn't it?
+Quote Post

71 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:44 PM