Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What Podcast or Radio Drama Are You Listening To?
SubRosa
post Jul 1 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

I decided to make a separate topic for podcasts, since don't really fit into the music thread, or the now watching thread. I'll copy over some of the more recent podcast posts I have made to get things rolling.

It's not exactly reading, but it is not music either so I did not put this in the Listening To topic. I have discovered a number of interesting podcasts lately. My starting point was HPPodcraft, which I am almost caught up with.

For those not familiar with HP Podcraft, they are Chad Fifer and Chris Lackey, two OG Lovecraftian gamers, who grew up reading HP Lovecraft and playing the Call of Cthulhu role playing game. Both were part of the making of the Call of Cthulhu movie done by the HP Lovecraft Literary Society. Chris Lackey was part of The Whisperer In Darkness film as well. Both have done other films, and worked on a ton of stuff in Hollywood. They started HP Podcraft a decade ago, reviewing all of HPLs prose fiction in the order it was written. They walk through the events of each story, have dramatic readings of relevant passages by guests (such as Andrew Leman from HLPHS, and lately even Patton Oswalt), give a critical analysis of the story, and how it fits into the Mythos over all, and tell some bad jokes. I like it very much, as the pair's charisma can make for a fun episode even when the story itself is a big dud.

They went through HPL's work a long time ago, and since then have been doing the work of other Weird Fiction writers. Mostly it is others that have either been influenced by HPL, such as Robert Bloch, Clark Ashton Smith, Michael Shea, Robert E Howard, TED Klein, and so on. Or people who influenced HPL, such as Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Robert Chambers, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, and Lord Dunsany. They also take some detours into pure science fiction, like HG Wells, and Ray Bardbury, and Isaac Asimov.

I have come across a lot of stories by these authors that are duds, but the shows are still fun, because Chad and Chris make it fun. I have also come across some real brilliant stories that I otherwise would not have read, like The Screwfly Solution, or The Wendigo. If you like weird/horror/supernatural fiction, and you like laughing, I highly recommend this podcast.

HP Podcraft mentioned Monster Talk, which I checked out. It seems pretty good. I have listened to a handful of their episodes now. They focus on monsters in pop-culture and folklore (which I suppose is really just yesteryear's pop-culture). They have a skeptic's point of view, so it is mostly them explaining the reality behind these myths and ideas. They also go into how they got created and why. It's basically a science-based discussion about things like dragons, megalodons, faeries, etc... They had an episode about Lovecraft and King Tut that got my interest.

That led me to The Archaeological Fantasies Podcast. They have some crossover episodes with Monstertalk, as they sometimes are covering the same things. They only have a handful of episodes. I have only listened to the Viking Warrior Women one, which was good. It was mostly in response to a new tv show that Megan Fox hosts (I saw a little bit of it a while back, and was not impressed). The podcast was well done though, and I enjoyed the guest - Chelsi Slotten.

This led me to the Women In Archaeology Podcast, which I also found had some interesting podcasts. Chelsi Slotten hosts most of these as well. A deeper dive is turning up some pretty dry stuff however. It is a bit drier than the more pseudo-science focused podcasts like Archy Fantasies or Monster Talk. They only talk about reality. But it is still fascinating and informative.

That led me to PodCapers, which is a podcast about comics and super movies and superhero geekdom. Chelsi also guest stars in an episode here about the representation of women in comics. Which is what brought me to the podcast. The only downside I have found with PodCapers is that there are no options for a direct mp3 download. I had to find Tube Ninja which will take a url and convert it to an mp3.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SubRosa
post Sep 13 2019, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

I recently listened to the Monstertalk episode Speak Of The Devil. It features the guest Robert Price, whom you may remember from such podcasts such as The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast. Among other things he is a Bible scholar, which makes him very qualified for this episode. As the name suggests it is about Lucifer/Satan. It is very eye-opening, even to a non-Christian like myself, as a lot of what people take for granted about the Lucifer/Satan myths are actually not in the Bible, but came later. The same with Hell.

He also appears in another Monstertalk episode that I just started listening to: MonsterTalk Meets The Lovecraft Geek

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
SubRosa   What Podcast or Radio Drama Are You Listening To?   Jul 1 2019, 08:40 PM
SubRosa   I just finished an Archy Fantasies episode called ...   Jul 1 2019, 09:22 PM
Dark Reaper   Spa/New Age Music channel on my cable. When I...   Jul 1 2019, 09:36 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   Khajiit was first turned on to Podcasts by a girl ...   Jul 1 2019, 10:33 PM
treydog   Not recent, but I listened to a number of WWII era...   Jul 2 2019, 01:36 AM
SubRosa   Khajiit was first turned on to Podcasts by a girl...   Jul 2 2019, 01:55 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   Khajiit was first turned on to Podcasts by a gir...   Jul 2 2019, 02:10 AM
mirocu   The Adventures of Herbert "Daring" Dashw...   Jul 2 2019, 03:41 PM
SubRosa   HPLHS now has their Dark Adventure Radio Theater e...   Jul 3 2019, 12:56 AM
RaderOfTheLostArk   I have yet to find a podcast to really capture my ...   Jul 4 2019, 12:15 AM
SubRosa   At Khajiit's recommendation, I have been liste...   Jul 8 2019, 09:09 PM
SubRosa   This morning I finished to a two part episode on M...   Jul 13 2019, 12:18 AM
RaderOfTheLostArk   I've started listening to Bill Burr's Thur...   Aug 10 2019, 05:52 AM
Decrepit   I watch a good many podcast-like videos at YouTube...   Aug 12 2019, 08:46 PM
SubRosa   The HP Lovecraft Historical Society is celebrating...   Aug 20 2019, 08:56 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   The HP Lovecraft Historical Society is celebratin...   Aug 20 2019, 09:52 PM
SubRosa   Today I listened to the first episode of In reSear...   Oct 7 2019, 09:52 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   I’ve been really getting into the podcast Lore. ...   Oct 7 2019, 10:24 PM
SubRosa   I still listen to Lore, though the narrator's ...   Oct 8 2019, 12:37 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   I still listen to Lore, though the narrator's...   Oct 8 2019, 01:52 AM
SubRosa   The HPLHS brings us Spooky October greetings with ...   Oct 31 2019, 02:15 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   The HPLHS brings us Spooky October greetings with...   Oct 31 2019, 03:56 AM
SubRosa   I downloaded a bunch of episodes from various podc...   Nov 30 2019, 10:52 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   I downloaded a bunch of episodes from various pod...   Dec 1 2019, 01:34 PM
SubRosa   [quote name='SubRosa' post='321165' date='Nov 30 ...   Dec 1 2019, 04:31 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   The latter. People like Harvey Wienstein. I don...   Dec 1 2019, 04:32 PM
SubRosa   My latest podcast to pass muster is You Must Remem...   Dec 4 2019, 01:06 AM
SubRosa   I listened to some more Behind the Bastards. It is...   Dec 4 2019, 04:59 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   or Stalin forcing his inner circle to all get bli...   Dec 5 2019, 03:10 AM
SubRosa   or Stalin forcing his inner circle to all get bl...   Dec 5 2019, 03:28 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   [quote name='TheCheshireKhajiit' post='321271' da...   Dec 5 2019, 03:47 AM
ghastley   Exactly. Stalin was so paranoid that he made them...   Dec 5 2019, 07:05 PM
SubRosa   Exactly. Stalin was so paranoid that he made the...   Dec 5 2019, 10:13 PM
SubRosa   This is only indirectly podcast related, but it do...   Dec 5 2019, 07:01 PM
SubRosa   I just finished a six part series of episodes of Y...   Dec 7 2019, 10:43 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   Btw, you can still download the contents of bin L...   Dec 9 2019, 04:17 PM
SubRosa   I am about six episodes into a series about the Ho...   Jan 5 2020, 03:53 AM
SubRosa   Earlier this week I discovered You're Wrong Ab...   Feb 8 2020, 01:53 AM
SubRosa   The HP Lovecraft Historical Society (HPLHS), is no...   Mar 14 2020, 02:00 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   The HP Lovecraft Historical Society (HPLHS), is n...   Mar 14 2020, 02:47 AM
SubRosa   MonsterTalk just released an episode about Covid-1...   Mar 16 2020, 02:19 AM
SubRosa   I have gotten to the Haitian Revolution in the Rev...   Mar 20 2020, 04:50 PM
SubRosa   This week's episode of Voluminous was particul...   Mar 26 2020, 04:01 PM
SubRosa   Today I discovered We Have Ways Of Making You Talk...   Apr 13 2020, 10:55 PM
SubRosa   Monster Talk just put out a rare video episode tal...   Apr 14 2020, 11:50 PM
SubRosa   The HP Lovecraft Literary Society currently has se...   Apr 16 2020, 10:21 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   The HP Lovecraft Literary Society currently has s...   Apr 17 2020, 12:06 AM
SubRosa   The HPLHS has their Dark Adventure Radio Theater v...   May 23 2020, 03:20 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   Khajiit has fish people on the brain due to his ne...   Jun 15 2020, 12:13 AM
SubRosa   I am still subscribed to the Patreon, and listenin...   Jun 15 2020, 02:52 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   I am still subscribed to the Patreon, and listeni...   Jun 17 2020, 04:30 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   I love the music they use for The Call of Cthulhu ...   Jul 6 2020, 09:16 PM
SubRosa   I have discovered some podcasts I have neglected t...   Oct 1 2020, 01:05 AM
SubRosa   I just finished a 6 part Lion Led By Donkeys serie...   Oct 8 2020, 02:00 AM
SubRosa   HPLHS has The Curse of Yig radio drama for sale. J...   Oct 31 2020, 09:10 PM
SubRosa   Today I discovered The Old Gods of Appalachia. It ...   Dec 14 2020, 01:57 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   Today I discovered The Old Gods of Appalachia. It...   Dec 14 2020, 02:28 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   I started it, and I’ve only listened to the prol...   Dec 15 2020, 02:50 AM
SubRosa   I recently discovered Our Fake History. It is a po...   Apr 26 2021, 06:57 AM
SubRosa   Blake from MonsterTalk has a tradition of doing a ...   Dec 24 2021, 10:31 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   Currently listening to a podcast called “Revolut...   Mar 30 2022, 03:40 PM
SubRosa   Revolutions is one of my favorites. I learned a lo...   Mar 30 2022, 08:17 PM
TheCheshireKhajiit   Revolutions is one of my favorites. I learned a l...   Mar 30 2022, 09:23 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:36 PM