5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your First Elder Scrolls Experience, Please tell
Zelda_Zealot
post Jan 12 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

My first was with Morrowind, I was over at a friend's house (THANK YOU ANTHONY!) when he showed me Morrowind. So after watching him go around killing everything in sight for a while I asked if I could play, "Yeah in a sec" was his responce.

TWO HOURS LATER

Finally he gets of his PC and lets me try, so clicking new game I insert my fav. name at the time (Plus I got it from a book set it in medival times) and enter the world of Tamriel for the first time.

So after being comepletely blown away I set out to explore Seyda Neen. Now while Anthony was more of the kill first think about the guards later type, I played slightly more intelligently.

Being a thief I entered Arrills Tradeshop and did the first thing a thief would do (Being a stupid one I mean), took the silver shortsword, needless to say Anthony thought I was going on a mass killing spree and advised to to kill the Altmer shouting at me.

Now I normally won't give in to his advise, but I had no idea as to what I should do, thus I drew my sword (After equiping it I mean, sorry but that sounded cool.) and failed in my attempt to slay the High Elf. That was my first and second lesson in the Elder Scrolls, level one thief's don't commenly win against anything, and never listen to Anthony.

So tell us yours, or I will send Anthony to you house... emot-ninja1.gif

P.S. I meant to add this in above, but that was also just before my 15th B-D so with my B-D money I bought Morrowind for X-Box.

--------------------
The Sun and Moon transform day to night, but what transforms the mind?
The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Jan 12 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #2

Knower
Group Icon

My first TES experience was with Morrowind. One of my co-workers said her boyfriend was playing it a lot, and really liked it. I was looking for a new game at the time, so I thought I'd give it a try. As soon as I got it, I got completely sucked into it. Then, I proceeded to get quite sick (I was home for 2 months), during which time I managed to play a lot (I felt almost human if I didn't move much). I've bounced back and forth to other games in the couple years since then, but I always come back to Morrowind. I have tried to play arena (it was a free download, afterall), but I completely suck with the combat controls and have never made it out of the first dungeon. Maybe someday....
+Quote Post
Nashi_Tai
post Jan 17 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #3

Retainer

My friend is a RPG nut, she brought the game over to my house and should it to me during the first year of it's release. That was my second experiance with RPGs, the first being FF9 which she introduced me to aswell. Needless to say I too was blown away and totaly absorbed it this open ended wounder.

Stupid first mistake repeated three times between my sis and me that cost us having to restart the game before even steping into Seda Neen:
Talked to the gaurd, exchanged papers, got money, turned toward the door... grabbed candle... died. indifferent.gif

Three times before we learned not to touch his candle. I even put it back on the table and he just kept hitting me... he must have really been posesive of it.
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Jan 17 2006, 02:04 AM
Post #4

Finder
Group Icon

I hears about it from a friend, got sick of him blathering that I should get it, so I went and got it and tried to install it on my computer...

five days and two videocards later I get the thing to work. I open the game, go through the beginning, and when I get out on the boat I go 'oh my god...'

it's been a downhill slide into fanboyishness since then.

--------------------
these forums taste almost, but not quite, completely unlike tea.
+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Jan 17 2006, 05:16 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

It was some time ago in third (fourth?) grade. For some time my friend Trevor Cooley was into old-school games for PC. For some time he'd been going on about a game called Daggerfall.

Well I spent the night at his house and played Everquest (new at the time), an Ultima game (can't recall which) and of course Daggerfall.

I instantly fell in love with Daggerfall and demanded (I mean, asked politely 0:) ) that he burn me a copy.

Well, he did. I played it until I probed it's every secret and then stopped after it broke (years later).

I was very suprised/excited that they were to make another Elder Scrolls installment. I'm glad it went over so well.
+Quote Post
zetherkk
post Jan 25 2006, 06:30 AM
Post #6

Retainer

my friend bought the game and played it for 5 minutes and then read the box that said over 100 hours of gametime, game of the year edition for xbox. once he read that he decided to give up on it imediately, he likes those games that you just push a button and you win, the simpler the better. anyway he gave it to me and told me that i would enjoy it, so i started playing it, i was annoyed that there was so much detail in creating your character, then i was more anoyed that i got beat on by a fish and a crab, i played the first day just out of anoyment thinking things would get better, and of course they did, the first town is the most dreary and dreadfull place in the game, but once i got out of that town everything turned interesting, needless to say, i came back to seyda neen and slaughtered everything in that town and robbed it of everything and sold it all in balmora where i owned a shop previously occupied by a merchant (nev er sold anything out of the shop) and a couple of houses that belonged to former citizens of balmora. that is that best part about the game, the openess of it, do anything you want where you want (with consequesnces though). i didn't realize that the game came with a paper map in the game box (hidden behind the instruction book that i never read) untill about 6 months into playing it.
+Quote Post
jchamber
post Feb 8 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Finder
Group Icon

I barely remember my first use of morrowind, but i know that it was on my cousin's computer and that I didn't much care for it b/c I didn't like using a keyboard and mouse. I got on occasionally just b/c I was bored and killed stuff on his criminal character who usually just ran from guards...Months if not over a year later I see xbox morrowind GOTY on a used game shelf in gamecrazy get it home to find that load times are like five minutes long or something insane to where I went to the bathroom got back and still had to wait....and then the game crashed like every 15 minutes (literally) so I returned it for store credit and had read online the original had shorter load times and got it with my credit, this one worked well enough that I didn't mind the twice a week crashes, and over a year, and thousands of game hours later I still play it, although I am running out of things to do with my prize character I always love to start new ones and skip stuff you would usually do at the begining and do things like steal glass armor and make a levitate item that lets me kill gaurds at level one.
Kinda a long story, but it was a long time b4 I was addicted to the game and a long addiction that has ensued...

--------------------
This is AP Erebus's baby, but I intend to help
(VVclick for site linkage)
+Quote Post
Shado Kastur
post Feb 22 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #8

Retainer

i heard about Oblivion being TES and i had seen MW on the shelves fo the longest times, i never knew what they were....so i decided to check out Oblivion on gamespot......i was like...whoa....dang.....and saw it was for 360 and PC neither of which i have...PC not good enough can hardly run AoEII....so i went looking for MW and found the GOTY and thoroughly checked it out and was like....looks fun...oblivion is for 360 so....i might as well get used to TES *and now i am biggrin.gif* that was only about 3 months ago.....so i think i know alot for how long ive been in tes....

--------------------
You can't fix stoopid.......but you can take pillz!!!!
+Quote Post
jchamber
post Feb 22 2006, 06:36 AM
Post #9

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shado Kastur @ Feb 21 2006, 06:27 PM)
i heard about Oblivion being TES and i had seen MW on the shelves fo the longest times, i never knew what they were....so i decided to check out Oblivion on gamespot......i was like...whoa....dang.....and saw it was for 360 and PC neither of which i have...PC not good enough can hardly run AoEII....so i went looking for MW and found the GOTY and thoroughly checked it out and was like....looks fun...oblivion is for 360 so....i might as well get used to TES *and now i am biggrin.gif* that was only about 3 months ago.....so i think i know alot for how long ive been in tes....

well, that is a great story, I am glad you have joined us here in W4O, I really think this is one of the best places for OB material as the official forums have problems with inducing crowd control as they do not want to irritate potential customers, and most other forums don't have as good a staff or enough members to have an active community.

--------------------
This is AP Erebus's baby, but I intend to help
(VVclick for site linkage)
+Quote Post
1234king
post Feb 26 2006, 05:07 AM
Post #10

Knower
Group Icon

I got TES3 in sept of 2005 (i mostly had sport games and was looking for a change) so after i made my theif guy i immeadeatly fell in love with all the things i could do i had the conjuration skill so i had my bound dagger and was sneaking up on guards and givin them the 1 2 stab in the back. Unfortunately i could not to combat face to face so i got owned by a cliff racer.

P.S where can i get arena as a free download

--------------------
Sigs are stupid!
+Quote Post
Dark_Elf_
post Feb 27 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #11

Retainer

My first TES experiance was in Morrowind as a Khajiit Theif. All I did was wander in the Bittercoast. My long walk was eventually disrupted by some shouting ( Which made me jump a little ) that came from a falling Bosmer. I didn't bother reading his journal; instead I put on his "cool looking" robe and hat and equipped his "powerful" sword and continued my wandering.

Unfortunately, the poor Khajiit was defeated by a Nix-Hound just a short walk away from Balmora.

P.S where can i get arena as a free download

http://elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

EDIT: Spelling.

This post has been edited by Dark_Elf_: Feb 27 2006, 08:55 PM

--------------------
I'm always anonymous...

I am a student at the Academy of Daedric Studies.

Red eyes seem to glitter at you from the darkness...
+Quote Post
Foster
post Apr 4 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #12

Finder
Group Icon

Back in the days when a 386 was considered advanced, I was living out in Hong Kong. I see a game I'm intrested in, purchase it, and low and behold, spend the next 4 hours in the same dungeon, walking around in green greaves, wondering what the hell a pauldron was.

That was Arena, in either 93 or 94, I can't remember. Then I got out of the dungeon, and found how large the world was...

I never completed it. I finished the Black Marsh quest, but never did the Morrowind one. It was just too big. So Jagar Tharn won, and I spent my days, a Nord with a misshapen head, collecting Ebony stuff from smiths by selling one-off items for insane prices.

--------------------
I hate the mice from Bagpuss. Never trust rodents with DIY skills.

"We will fix it, we will fix, we will stick it with glue, glue, glue, we will stickle it, every little bit of it, we will fix it like new, new new."

::SQUISH::
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 14 2006, 06:12 AM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

I saw a review of Daggerfall in a PC magazine and had to have it, as I love RPGs. First installed it on a 486/66 PC. Even with the incredibly slow load times, it was the best game I had ever seen. The world is huge, the dungeons were often insanely complex, people had learned how to exploit the clipping problem (surfing the Void). I mostly keep my Win 98 machine running so I can play Daggerfall.

And then I heard of this "sequel" called The Elder Scrolls 3- and my life has never been the same.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
softwhisper
post Apr 14 2006, 09:11 AM
Post #14

Evoker

at a small lan party (about 8 people), that i often hosted back in high school. one of the people had a copy of tes3. i burned a copy and played it for years. after uninstalling it, i lost the disc. after a few months of withdrawl, i bought the goty. having never seen the cutscenes or playing the expansions, it was a whole new experiance. played it off and on until tes4 came out. even played it a couple times since then to check for continuity and such.

--------------------

~ toodles
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Apr 15 2006, 06:19 AM
Post #15

Knower
Group Icon

Let's recall the whole story. I remember how it first started. One of my friends (who plays Counter Strike alot) recommended some game to me called Morrrowind. He told me there were werewolves and alot of cool things in the game. I wasn't interested and passed on the offer. A few years later I read in an XBOX magazine (OXM to be precise) that the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was coming to Xbox 360. I also saw some interesting screenshots. A few months later, on the 21-st of November, I looked up Oblivion on IGN. I saw the videos and was blown away by the game. I got Morrowind a week later to see how Oblivion would be. Been playing it ever since. But now that I look back at those movies and all the things released, I now realise that the game isn't what I used to think it is. There are no pauldrons in the game, you can't wear armour under robes and the levelling just destroys the realism of the game. Otherwise it's great but if those things would be brought back then I can truly say that this is an excellent game, not a cool one.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Dreamer
post Apr 18 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #16

Retainer

I was telling my friend Tony about the Baldurs Gate games, and then he went on and on about this game I never heard of called Morrowind, he told me I should borrow it off him, but I was like, no, it sounds pretty crap...running around, jumping, then running....he insisted I borrow it, needless to say, Tony was right, I was wrong.
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post Apr 21 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Got Morrowind for Christmas (gotta love parents) didn't play it cause i was buzy playing halo (and i missed out on morrowind) so a few months later after beating Halo on all difficulties i looked at morrowind and didn't see much, the graphics were worse so i decided only to play for a little...

4 Hours Later

I was immersed in the story, slightly obsessed, and had tried to play with over 6 different characters. smile.gif

--------------------
A skull, some blood, and a flying mace. Not much to work with. ~Imperial Legion Captian.
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 21 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Apr 14 2006, 01:12 AM) *
I mostly keep my Win 98 machine running so I can play Daggerfall.

I just gave up my dual boot - w98/w2k- on my last reformat ... to make room for the large world of Oblivion's expanded data files. I do have the download of Arena and the dosbox program to make it work .. but I will miss Daggerfall. I wish they'd make a download of Daggerfall too.

My first experience in Tamriel was Arena which I just loved, but my hubby had to get every one of my new characters out of the starting dungeon. Darn sewers!! I had more trouble trying to navigate the canals of water and keeping in the right direction than with the goblins & rats. He also was really good at saving just before this one tremendous lootpile and then rerolling until the loot was good enough. It sort of decided your whole game right there about how rich you'd be when you finally got out of the dungeon.
Then I realized that Khajiits could see in the dark and I've always started TES games with a Khajiit character first because that way I can find my way myself ... TES games always begin in a dark dungeon!

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 21 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

I found out about Morrowind from my friend's older brother who purchased it the day it came out. Though shortly after, it basically became my friend and my game since we ended up playing it much more often than him. I didn't understand the character creation mode so fortunately the default settings are warrior because I picked an orc as my first character. I would constantly bug my friend to let me play, many times I get in trouble at home because I would miss suppertime because I was over at my friend's playing Morrowind.

We finally got an X-Box (my computer at the time was too hopefully to consider getting it for PC) and I decided to purchase the GotY version. First character was Khajit Thief/Assassin which went well until I ruined him in Tribunal, next was a Dunmer Battlemage which I was able to do pretty near everything I wanted to do. I'm now working on a Nord warrior who has alchemical and enchanting tendencies, fun stuff!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 28 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #20

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I think that the first time I ever heard of Elderscrolls was when my buddy told me about Morrowind. He'd gotten it and Halo at the same time but didn't play it until after he'd beaten Halo...hmmm...that sounds familiar laugh.gif . Anyways once he started playing Morrowind he kept raving about how cool it was and I told him that I never played any games that I couldn't pronounce...man am I glad I changed my mind. After I played it for a few minutes I could hardly draw myself away from it and then after I left, I went on a search for the game.

My computer couldn't run Morrowind so when I heard that it had been released on the Xbox I rushed out and bought one. I played the game since it came out on the Xbox and still do every now and then to this day. It's not as interesting now as it once was though, in persuit of that fresh confused feeling that I was enamored by in the beginning I made several characters, beat every quest/guild, and explored everywhere in the game. The expansions helped prolong its life but I conquered them quickly as well and in the end I still wanted more.

When I heard of Oblivion I was hyped and so I joined here at Waiting4Oblivion...or so it was called at the time. I recently played Oblivion myself and was a little dissapointed with what I saw but it was still a good game, it just didn't have the same feeling as Morrowind when I began playing.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:03 PM