2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does anyone know?, Misc how-to's
ghastley
post Jul 10 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

I wanted to give my latest character a name containing a non-keyboard symbol - ñ - which I can type in most contexts using ALT+164 (on the numeric keypad) but doing that in Skyrim character generation gets me "164" as it ignores the ALT key.

Anyone know how to create a name using non-keyboard characters?

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 11 2014, 12:30 AM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

I don't have a clue, but I want to know this too. On Xbox I think we can use different symbols. Not on PC though, huh?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 11 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

I couldn’t figure it out for Serafíne. She’s Serafine in the game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 11 2014, 03:56 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

You could try copying and pasting. It worked for Scáthach in the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 9 2014, 11:51 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

I have a question.

So I have a bunch of quest related items in my inventory that Alise is so sick and tired of looking at. No way is she going back out to that ice cube that passes for a madman's refuge to give him an inscribed box that would only enable his insanity further. Not worth spamming her Illusion level just to survive the run (thanks to Frostfall).

She is as yet undecided about whether or not to continue with the Winterhold College quests. After all, she only wants access to Tolgan for his high-level spells. Oh, and to visit crabby Urg in his Library (yup, we both love the crusty old geezers who are smarter than they let on). So there's a few more items she can stand to drop too.

I tried looking up the console command but couldn't find one like the one in Oblivion that turns the quest link off so you can drop the darned things.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2014, 12:14 AM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

There are a couple of options for getting rid of quest items.

One is to look the item up in the Wiki or Creation Kit, or even just the in game console with the help command. Then use this command:

player.removeitem {code} {number of items to remove, usually 1}

This completely removes it from the game. If you ever want it back, just do the reverse:

player.additem {code} {number of items}

Or you can use this command to just drop it to the floor:

player.drop {code} {number of items to drop}

Or you can use the Construction Kit to remove the quest flag from the item. Though this is a bit much.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 10 2014, 12:15 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 10 2014, 03:28 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Thanks! Both did the trick! biggrin.gif

Now Alise can go explore Falskaar without excess baggage, even with the Nordic Horn to call her horse to the other side! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 1 2014, 02:44 AM
Post #8

Paladin
Group Icon

Made a nice discovery (for me) today. Ever since day one, I have been unhappy that the game starts every single session with the player defaulted to always run. So for my entire 1000 hours playing Skyrim, my first action when opening every session has been to tap the autorun key so Buffy walks. I asked on one of the threads here (not this one) about defaulting to walk instead of run on start up but no one seemed to know how to do that. I was perusing the ini files for some other purpose and quite by accident stumbled upon the solution. Buffy now opens every session autowalking instead of autorunning and I am a happy paladin! smile.gif

In case anyone else is interested in applying this simple change so the player defaults to walk instead of run, here’s how:

Open Skyrim iniprefs. Under the [Controls] section, find this line:

bAlwaysRunByDefault=1

1=yes and 0=no in ini-speak, so I simply changed the 1 to a 0 and Buffy now starts up each session walking instead of running by default.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Dec 1 2014, 02:24 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 1 2014, 04:45 AM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 10 2014, 09:32 AM) *

I wanted to give my latest character a name containing a non-keyboard symbol - ñ - which I can type in most contexts using ALT+164 (on the numeric keypad) but doing that in Skyrim character generation gets me "164" as it ignores the ALT key.

Anyone know how to create a name using non-keyboard characters?

The Enya ( ñ ) should be found in the Spanish alphabet if that helps - maybe add the language to your CK?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Dec 1 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 1 2014, 02:44 AM) *
So for my entire 1000 hours playing Skyrim, my first action when opening every session has been to tap the autorun key so Buffy walks.
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1

1=yes and 0=no in ini-speak, so I simply changed the 1 to a 0 and Buffy now starts up each session walking instead of running by default.

Awesome, thanks!

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 2 2014, 01:06 AM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

Thank you, Acadian! smile.gif

Edit: What a huge difference starting off at a walk makes. It's a small thing but not having to wrangle the game right away really sets the tone. Thank you again!!

This post has been edited by Grits: Dec 2 2014, 03:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jan 31 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

Does anyone know whether opening quest-specific locations with the console causes any problems even if not intending to do the related quests?

For instance, Snow-Veil Sanctum is a quest-specific area for the TG and can only be entered during the quest. Would opening its door with the "unlock" command and exploring it cause any general problems if I don't intend to do the TG questline?

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jan 31 2015, 07:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 31 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

It won't cause any issues to the rest of the world. You might find it inadvertently starts the quest associated with it. That is because some of those areas, especially the Helgen dungeon, have boxes set up around certain choke points. When you walk in them, it automatically sets a specific quest stage. You can only see them in the CK of course, and otherwise they don't do anything. If the quest has not been started yet, I am not sure if it will automatically start it or not. Try it and find out.

Aside from that, some things might be weird, or not work, in the area. Some areas have statics that are transformed by quest-specific events. For example, The Forgotten Vale has shrines which start out buried in the ground, and only rise up and become usable when following the Dawnguard main quest. If you don't do the quest, those shrines will never work. Though you can still explore the Vale without them.

Finally, you might pick up a quest-related item, which you then cannot ever put down again without doing the quest. Though you can use the console to get rid of those.

I have done this is some places. Several of my characters have gone up to the top of High Hrothgar for example, with the main quest disabled. All it really takes is using the CK to disable to the collision box at the far left of the Greybeard's fortress, which blocks a little ledge that goes around the place. Or using the TCL command in the console of course. After that all you need is the Clear Skies shout, which I turned into an ordinary spell long ago. You never see a Greybeard, never see a dragon, fight some monsters on the way up, and get the Notched Pickaxe at the very top, along with some ore veins

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 31 2015, 08:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 26 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

Anyone have experience of Erandur as a follower? He levels to 50, which is good, but his skills are things like Restoration, Speech and Smithing, which don't seem very useful. He uses destruction spells and a melee weapon, but has no pre-existing skill or perks with either. I'd expect him to acquire some with usage, but how well does he progress?

My lateest Orc has let him tag along, because I read that he has more dialog than most followers, mostly unique. And she's adopted the Dunmer version of Sofie, as well as Uzgash, so a Dunmer follower fits!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 26 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

Erandur is the guy who runs Nightcaller Temple, right? Lord Haaf-Mersey grabbed him as a follower just before I switched from Xbox to PC. During the brief time I gamed with these two, Erandur was keeping up with LHM just fine. He's basically good at magics. I can't remember specifically which magics, but I remember being surprised that he was doing okay.

At the time, LHM would have been about Level 48 or so, so just under that cap of 50. Erandur and LHM wound up going in some draugr barrow near Dawnstar (I forget its name, but it's a rather advanced place with draugr deathlords & such).

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 26 2015, 04:37 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 26 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

The Orc character is trying to do "Mystic Barbarian". She's using exclusively a Bound Battleaxe as a weapon, and advancing her two-handed to try and keep it viable. You can't temper a bound weapon, so I expect she'll start to fall behind soon. So far she's not used armour or flesh spells, but will likely have to do the latter soon, as she can't rely on pure offence. Armored foes with enchanted weapons can be a challenge already.

It's not quite a Buffy situation, as her choice of weapon means closing to melee distance, and not using sneak. But different is fun.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Mar 26 2015, 05:16 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 26 2015, 07:25 PM
Post #17

Paladin
Group Icon

Ghastley, I've only used Erandur for a short time beyond his quest - so my impression is limited and I'd certainly yield to anyone who has used him more. I found him pleasant, but he ended up taking a knee more often than, say Illia, Aranea or Brelyna. I do recall that he did well in terms of not delivering friendly fire.

The idea of a Mystic Barbarian orc is delicious. As you know, I've loved orcs ever since Buffy met Mazoga. In Skyrim, each stronghold seems to have a shaman/wise woman spiritual leader so the concept seems completely natural to me. goodjob.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 12 2015, 08:41 AM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Does anyone know what's the point of savefiled ending with the ".ess.bak" suffix? I noticed that they take up the same amount of space as the regular savefile so I deleted them and the save loaded as normal, no harm done.

I assume that I can safely delete these files?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 12 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #19

Paladin
Group Icon

Lopov, I don't know. Each of my saves has a .ess and .ess.bak and a .skse file. As you say the first two are big and the skse one is tiny. Good to know that you can perhaps delete the .ess.bak files but I don't know what they do beyond the name-implied backup function? Hopefully someone smart will come along to answer.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 12 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

Yikes, I don't think I'd delete that! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:10 AM