2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Retired Character Thread
Renee
post Jan 5 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

I have just completed one of my character's games, and decided I'd open up a thread for those whose stories have come to an end. Feel free to add your own.

Lord Haaf-Mersey

Final Playthrough Date: 7:52 AM, 12th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 202

Total Gametime: 400 hours, 38 minutes, and 4 seconds

Class: Crusader
Factions: Dawnguard, Thane of Falkreath

Days Passed: 452
Hours Slept: 3,455
Hours Waited: 2,228

Final Gold: 22,333 (this is what is stored in a safe in LHM's house)
Gold Found: 225,882

Chests Looted: 1,451
Skill Increases: 628

Dawnguard Quests Completed: 13
Quests Completed: 37
Misc Objts Completed: 114
Main Quests Completed: 1
Side Quests Completed: 13

Locations Discovered: 186
Dungeons Cleared: 109

Homes: Lakeview Manor
Children: 1 (Lucia)
Spouse: Mjoll the Lioness
Main Followers: Mjoll the Lioness (Motormouth Mjoll), Serana, Rayya the Overkiller

Lord Haaf-Mersey is also known as the Crusader from Cyrodiil, and is supposed to be a Breton/Nord (but mostly Breton). He grew up in a good home somewhere in (or near) Bruma. His family was well-to-do and he had a strong education, but he was raised to speakth in a tongue long-lost to the majority of Tamrielites.

He had some sort of military training, and may have spent some time working as a guard. Sometime in the 4th Era/Year 199 a crude Nord Warrior named Thor a'Zaene (also from Cyrodiil, Thor was my second Skyrim character) became the first to discover loot and wealth in some of Skyrim's draugr barrows. Since all of Cyrodiil's forts, ruins, caves (etc.) had long been plundered, Thor's discovery created a rush to Skyrim; many folks wanting to become wealthy. Lord Haaf-Mersey moved to Skyrim not to become rich, but because rumors were that a civil war was about to erupt there, and he had also heard some sort of 'calling'.

Being a devout follower of The Nine and also somewhat of a historian, Haaf-Mersey researched all he could find about the great adventurers of the latter Third Era. He became rather obsessed about Dyan phor a'Cauz, a Paladin who managed to save Tamriel from the wretches of Umaril the Unfeathered. He eventually began having a series of visions in which Dyan would speak to Haaf-Mersey directly.

When Haaf-Mersey moved to Skyrim he initially looked into assisting the Nords on their side of the Civil War, but it did not take long before he decided not to do this. After moseying a bit in Whiterun Hold (mostly keeping the land free of bandits and other baddies), Haaf-Mersey eventually found his calling when vampires began invading the holds of Skyrim. He joined an uprising of fighters known as the Dawnguard, and eventually rose to defeat Lord Harkon, saving Skyrim from a sunless world (among other things).

Lord Haaf-Mersey can be found living at his home in Falkreath Hold with his adopted daughter (Lucia), his wife (Mjoll the Lioness), and his Steward (Rayya).

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 6 2014, 12:06 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Vital
post Jan 5 2014, 09:56 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

LHM sound like an interesting character, he must have been fun smile.gif I like letting my characters retire, although only two have made it that far into the playthrough. I'll have to dig out their savefiles later to write something up, so you're not alone on this thread. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Vital: Jan 5 2014, 09:56 PM

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 5 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #3

Spam Meister
Group Icon

So your first Skyrim character is now retired smile.gif Interesting fella, I like him. But how many hours did he get?

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 5 2014, 11:46 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 5 2014, 05:29 PM) *

So your first Skyrim character is now retired smile.gif Interesting fella, I like him. But how many hours did he get?

Good question. Hold on.... gotta get the Xbox running. Ha! 400 hours, 38 minutes, and 4 minutes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 5 2014, 11:55 PM
Post #5

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Good that you put that in the OP, but I think you want 4 seconds there unless you want two kinds of minutes hehe.gif

So he did the MQ, right? Sided with the Imperials? And he was a vampire hunter to boot!

This post has been edited by mirocu: Jan 5 2014, 11:57 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 6 2014, 12:06 AM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 5 2014, 05:55 PM) *

Good that you put that in the OP, but I think you want 4 seconds there unless you want two kinds of minutes hehe.gif

Picky picky.

So he did the MQ, right? Sided with the Imperials? And he was a vampire hunter to boot!

He did not choose a side in the Civil War and never joined either side, but yes he was a vamp hunter.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 6 2014, 12:11 AM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

salute.gif salute.gif salute.gif May LHM go gently into that good night, and enjoy the rest of his days sipping mint juleps on his deck.

400 hours! I have never had a single character go anywhere near that long. That is probably 2 A-Bombs in Oblivion right?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 6 2014, 12:13 AM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 6 2014, 12:11 AM) *

400 hours! I have never had a single character go anywhere near that long. That is probably 2 A-Bombs in Oblivion right?

One I´d say. It comes around sometime every 250-300 hours iirc.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 6 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

I never played a character long enough to get to one A-Bomb...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Jan 6 2014, 12:17 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

What's an A-Bomb? huh.gif In context, I mean.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 6 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #11

Paladin
Group Icon

The A-Bomb in Oblivion stands for Animation Bomb and, although subject to a fair amount of randomness, tends to occur when a single character has been playing about 300 or so hours. What happens is that all the animations slow down. Very noticeable are spell animations; instead of taking a second or two, they slow to minutes. The typical actual game killer is that the door animations also slow down, eventually to the point that they never complete when you try to pass through a loading screen door.

The fix for PS3 / Xbox is to say goodbye to that character and start a new one.

Fortunately for PC users, there are at least a couple utilities available to quickly and easily fix the A-bomb and ‘reset’ its counter. I use Wrye Bash for this and it takes about 30 seconds to repair.

Buffy has every bit of a full twelve pack of A-bomb fixes that we have completed for her long running (~3200 hours of play) games.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jan 6 2014, 01:39 AM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

I don't think I've ever hit an A-bomb with Julian, either, though her story suggests we should have . . . biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 6 2014, 02:05 AM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 5 2014, 06:11 PM) *

It's at least one if we're talkin' PS3. I had two games get the A-bomb somewhere between 350 to 360 hours on PS3. I have heard the Xbox can go longer (@ 500 hours) before the bomb strikes that system.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Vital
post Jan 6 2014, 12:44 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

Here's one of my retired characters:

Dengar

Final Playthrough Date: Morndas, 9th of Sun's Dusk, 4e 201.

Total Gametime: 77 hours, 53 minutes and 23 seconds.. (Not quite as much as LHM tongue.gif)

Factions: Harbinger of the Companions, Thane of the Pale

Days Passed: 88
Hours Slept: 503
Hours Waiting: 211

Chests Looted: 587
Skill Increases: 485

Final Gold: 13965
Gold Found: 213011

Quests Completed: 35
Main Quests Completed: 1
Companions Quests Completed: 7
Side Quests Completed: 12
Misc Objectives Completed: 120

Locations Discovered: 199
Dungeons Cleared: 87
People Killed: 739

Homes: Mainly Jorrvaskr, Heljarchen Hall as a retreat.
Spouse: None, he is a solitary soul and will probably never find love.
Followers: Any companions member, but only when he needs them. He prefers to travel alone.

Dengar grew up in Bruma, where he was raised by his parents under traditional nordic values. From a young age he dreamt of honour and glory, but struggled socially, preferring the company of a blade to that of another person. Training with an old warrior with an obscure past he quickly became proficient in the ancient technique of Sword 'N' Board and started work as a mercenary. Hanging around taverns waiting for folk from all walks of life, that may need a sword at their side.

With business slow in Bruma and news of strife north in Skyrim. Dengar decided to pack up and head to his ancestral homeland, having no friends and little family this was easy for him. Initially looking for mercenary work fighting for the side that payed best and gave him the chance for honour. Dengar soon found that there was no honour to be had in the war and discovered the honour, and profit to be made hunting bandits and helping the small folk was far greater, while still sustaining his need for violence.

Eventually he joined the companions and *SPOILER ALERT* welcomed the gift of lycanthropy, after some consideration. Continuing his freelance work alongside his jobs for the companion and his adventuring, Dengar soon became a fierce and skilled warrior. Over the years (real life hours tongue.gif) he rose through the ranks of the companion and eventually rose to the rank of harbinger, after restoring Wuuthrad and curing Kodlak's lycanthropy. As harbinger he vowed to eliminate the curse of lycanthropy from the circle, curing himself and all the other members of the circle, except Aela, who he allowed to maintain her 'gift'.

Now Dengar spends his days drinking and mentoring in Jorrvaskr. Occasionally he travels around skyrim or spends time in Heljarchen Hall. He lives a life of solitude and has no family and few friends. He doesn't mind though, he knows Sovngarde awaits and will happily spend the rest of his life training other warriors, until the time comes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 6 2014, 01:36 PM
Post #15

Spam Meister
Group Icon

What do you guys mean with Main Quests completed = 1 huh.gif

Oblivion only has one MQ tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Jan 6 2014, 01:36 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Vital
post Jan 6 2014, 01:44 PM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 6 2014, 11:36 PM) *

What do you guys mean with Main Quests completed = 1 huh.gif

Oblivion only has one MQ tongue.gif

The amount of quests completed in the main quest. The tutorial counts a quest from the main quest so thats why it says one, without mods it's impossible not to complete that quest.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 6 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #17

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I actually suspected that much but thought I´d be a little funny.... biggrin.gif

Though it did puzzle me, like if there really were more than one MQ somehow...

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 6 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

This is a great idea, Renee. My characters who died are memorialized in Senor Cinco’s threads on the Beth forums, but the retirees never got their parties. tongue.gif

This thread is in the non-spoilers section, but since we’re talking about characters who have finished things there might be spoilers despite my best efforts. If anyone thinks they might complain about that, they should probably move along and just skip my posts.

Here’s a little write-up for my very first Skyrim character on the PS3. She was also my first character in Oblivion, so I know her very well. If memory serves she had 330-something hours played over about two years, and the last time I mentioned her level it was 50. I don’t really keep track of stats and her saves are gone, but I remember the “Bunnies Slaughtered” and “Wings Plucked” stats made me laugh. Rowan was never a good enough archer to slaughter bunnies, but she was cold-hearted enough to pluck a lot of wings. Better them then her, she would say.

Celebrating the Retirement of

Rowan Varrus

Dragonborn, dual-wielding savior of the world.

Rowan Varrus, single Imperial woman in her mid-thirties, drifted to Skyrim with no clear purpose. She had been a spellsword in Cyrodiil, but in this new land everyone seemed to start off on equal footing. wink.gif

She blundered into a group of Stormcloaks near Darkwater Crossing. They seemed intent on treating her very badly, but she was soon rescued by the Imperial Legion. Who then assumed she was a Stormcloak spy and planned to cut off her head.

Then there were dragons.

Rowan embraced her unlikely role as the latest Ysmir, Dragon of the North, though her fragile person was frequently not up for the tasks given her. One of her first actions was to take the blessing of the Lord Stone to supplement her light armor and lack of native spell resistance. She focused her education (perks) on one-handed, though she also used Daedric summons and healing spells in battle. She never really embraced Destruction magic in Skyrim. Probably because as a dual-wielder it was far too cumbersome to fiddle around swapping swords and spells while getting hammered in light armor.

She kept a follower with her most of the time. First Lydia who started off strong but got weaker and weaker as Rowan’s skills increased. (Remember that bug?) Then Sven, who amused her by occasionally whipping out his flute for a little music when she took too long to make up her mind in dungeons. Then she hired Stenvar when Sven started spending too much time on his knees. She accidentally caused Stenvar’s death when her flame atronach exploded right next to him in a corridor.

And then she met Vorstag.

Rowan and Vorstag had a bumpy relationship. She liked him right away, but he was a complete maniac which sometimes caused problems. For example in Falmer dungeons Rowan liked to sneak in for a look and then snipe at least one before the action started, but Vorstag would often come charging in yelling battle taunts from where she left him waiting way back by the door. They may be blind, but they can still HEAR YOU, Vorstag. Also they killed a few guards over the years when Vorstag got out of control over small issues. Rowan was not a criminal, but she did develop something of a criminal record. I became familiar with the “Last Witness Killed” message. Also she learned that she had to make Vorstag wait somewhere far away when she had a bounty (from his reckless killing) so that he wouldn’t take on the whole town while she tried to surrender.

Anyway one time in a dungeon he jumped or fell down into a pit of draugr where he was getting his butt kicked and using up healing potions, and Rowan couldn’t get a clean shot. So she jumped in after him. At the end of the dungeon she dismissed him, realizing that she would not live long if she continued that kind of selfless behavior. After all, he was supposed to watch her considerably smaller back. Then she ran after him and hired him back before he even got out of sight.

She fired and re-hired him that way several times over the course of their adventures, each time feeling more of a sense of something inevitable. Then standing on the street in Whiterun in the rain, he asked her to marry him. She had forgotten she had the Amulet of Mara on and was just going to give him some healing potions. But she immediately said yes.

By then Rowan had found a set of Orcish armor with a very good health enchantment, so she had taken the blessing of the Steed Stone and switched to heavy armor. Eventually she became Thane of Haafingar Hold and bought Proudspire Manor in Solitude. Lydia joined the Blades, so Rowan and Vorstag enjoyed privacy whenever they returned for short visits to Breezehome.

Rowan defeated Alduin, solved the problems of the College of Winterhold, became Thane of most of the Holds, joined the Legion and saw the war through to its end, acquired several Daedric artifacts of varied uselessness, and slaughtered Skyrim’s Dark Brotherhood. As she and Vorstag neared retirement they adopted Samuel and Francois Beaufort from the Honorhall Orphanage.

The family lives in Solitude. Rowan takes her role as Thane of Haafingar very seriously, especially as her Jarl is kind of a dimwit and will probably soon be High Queen of Skyrim. Also some of the other Thanes are crooks. Vorstag runs a successful business out of Proudspire Manor. Although Rowan insists on a Cyrodiil education for her boys (they’re home schooled), they can usually be found at play in Solitude’s market district.

Here are some pictures of my TV:

Rowan and Vorstag in the Reach

Vorstag getting crazy eyes while talking to the priest about their wedding

Post-wedding photo: Rowan saying WTF as Vorstag bolts for the door

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 6 2014, 05:24 PM
Post #19

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Very good pictures from the tellie, Grits smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 6 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm not sure if I consider any of my Skyrim characters as retired yet.

Galen Vhoth (150 hours) is probably the closest, being married, two adopted kids, and with a steward and adventuring follower living in Windstad Manor, all of them Dunmer. If he could recruit Dunmers as bard, or carriage driver, then he'd likely have done that too.

He's achieved his goal of personally killing Ulfric Stormcloak for the way he treated the Dunmer in Windhelm, and he's sorted out the Dark Brotherhood's issues, and can let them continue in their new sanctuary near Dawnstar. They really don't need his help any more. He's not so happy about Maven Black-briar taking over as Jarl in Riften, but there doesn't seem to be much he can do about that, and he wasn't fond of the original, either.

But he's still got that nagging feeling that he should try and do something about the Dragons. He couldn't avoid getting involved with the one outside Whiterun, or he'd never had got the Civil War sorted. So he most likely won't get the quiet life with his extended family that he'd prefer. And the wife and girlfriends are hankering for outfits that you can apparently only get over on Solstheim, so he may have to do a trip over there, too. The kids would look better in something with less of an Imperial style, too.

Fleur, the Orc, has had the most extensive career (220 hours), but even though the Dragon thing has been resolved as far as she could, there are still rogue dragons popping up for her to deal with. She's not the sort that just relaxes at home, either. She's always looking for more to do, and has become Arch-mage, as well as sorting out the vampires for the Dawnguard, and dealing with that Miraak guy over on Solstheim. She'd most likely do something about the Civil War next, as those Companions don't appeal to her, and she wishes there was an Orc equivalent she could join instead. The Bear Riders would be just the thing, if they'd just get their act together! She joined, and she's very attached to her bear, Thor, but not much has happened since.

All the others have things they still want to do. They don't all have all the DLC's in their games, so there are adventures some of them don't even know about yet. And the Bosmer archer is still wondering why she can't adopt any kids, or find a husband, of her own race. Patience, Silwen, I'm working on it.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:38 PM