Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Culinary Discussion, We could call it our House of Earthly Delights...
Olen
post May 10 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #61

Mouth
Group Icon

I'll admit I go for a rather different approach than mALX given that I a/ have the smallest kitchen in the world and b/ move house more than once every 12 months. For example a steady hand and a fork will suffice as a colander with a bit of practice (for rice strain it before it's quite done so it absrobs residual water), a good hand blender will do most of what a worktop one will and is easier to move and store and a bread tin is a lot more versitle, cheaper and easier to store than a bread maker (though getting bread from it is a bit of a faff).

Anyway I guess you're a student so some tips:
Don't buy stuff until you move into the flat, I lived in one which had seven cheesegraters but no forks (I kid you not), the current one doesn't have a microwave but does have a spurious collection of kettles. In short see what's needed before you go shopping.
Get a good knife sharpener, chances are if there is one its rubbish and the flat will come with some rubbish knives which you will end up using now and then
If you get a frying pan (the one in the flat will be ruined, I've never rented a place with a good one) spend money on it. The cheap thin ones just warp and become useless (especially on electric) and the teflon is never as good. One exception to this is ikea ones which are quite well made for the price.
And I agree with TK on knives. If you have the cash get something very good as cheap ones go blunt in no time.

One thing which doesn't seem to have some up is scales, depending on how experienced you are they can be nessesary.

This post has been edited by Olen: May 10 2011, 12:19 AM

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post May 10 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #62

Agent

Cheers Olen, you make a good point about waiting to see what I need, there are 4 other people moving in including one girl who's been living on her own for about 5 years so theres a good chance she'll have a lot of the stuff i'll need.

In other news made my first Omellette today and don't have any burn marks. It came out alright, I didn't go too adventurous with stuff in it since it was my first, but definately something i'd do again.
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 10 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #63

Councilor
Group Icon

Sounds like you’re in pretty good shape already. I’d add a couple of mixing bowls that can be stored stacked together, and a set of measuring spoons/cups. I’m guessing the girl who’s been out on her own might have these.

Congrats on your first not burned omelet! I’d say cook your fillings together in the pan (peppers, mushrooms, and onions smile.gif ), then add the eggs, then cheese. The folded omelets are pretty, but I think they’re tastier with the ingredients mixed into the eggs.

I love Louisiana Hot Sauce. I put it on hash browns. Now I have an idea for dinner.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 10 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #64

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ahrenil @ May 10 2011, 03:26 PM) *

Cheers Olen, you make a good point about waiting to see what I need, there are 4 other people moving in including one girl who's been living on her own for about 5 years so theres a good chance she'll have a lot of the stuff i'll need.

In other news made my first Omellette today and don't have any burn marks. It came out alright, I didn't go too adventurous with stuff in it since it was my first, but definately something i'd do again.

Congrats on your first omelet !!! WOO HOO !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post May 25 2011, 02:46 AM
Post #65

Mouth
Group Icon

Need a spicy solution for your next time cooking chicken? Try THIS!

- Chicken drippings from one chicken breast
- White Wine: 1/3 cup
- Garlic: 1 Clove
- Fennel Seed: 1 Tsp
- Orange Juice: 1/3 Cup
- Vanilla: 1/2 Tsp
- Nutmeg: 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric: 1/2 Tsp
- Chicken Stock: 2/3 Cup
- Rosemary: 1/2 Tsp fresh
- S&P: To Taste

1. Deglaze pane w/ white wine, add garlic, fennel. Reduce Au Sec.

2. Add OJ, vanilla, and remaining dry spices. Simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Add chicken stock, reduce & thicken.

4. Add rosemary and season w/ S&P.

If you think chicken is boring, this will give it some definite zing! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 19 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #66

Councilor
Group Icon

Father’s Day Menu: porterhouse steaks from the grill, roast asparagus, corn on the cob, and (sigh) Tater Tots. For dessert, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I’m not sure I’ll ever want to eat again. But I’m confident I can finish the wine.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Jul 5 2011, 04:13 AM
Post #67

Mouth
Group Icon

Chicken!

O got some nice H-Cups-o-poultry in my fridge now along with some nice and fresh white corn, and I was wondering if anyone might have any interesting ideas as to what to do with those?

Impress me!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 5 2011, 04:15 AM
Post #68

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Jul 4 2011, 11:13 PM) *

Chicken!

O got some nice H-Cups-o-poultry in my fridge now along with some nice and fresh white corn, and I was wondering if anyone might have any interesting ideas as to what to do with those?

Impress me!

Er...these H-Cups...are they...BBB?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Syl
post Jul 14 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #69

Finder
Group Icon

My husband's childhood friend gave me a really yummy and simple recipe for cookies that are melt-in-your-mouth delicious. The best thing about them, though, is that they require almost no work whatsoever, so they're perfect for a busy schedule!

Cake Mix Cookies

1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1 large egg
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup water

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl, then drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto a cookiesheet. Bake at 350 (F) for 8-9 minutes. Let cool and enjoy.

And speaking of food--about once a week, when we go grocery shopping, my husband and I have been going to the Auntie Anne's pretzel shop located in our local Walmart for a couple months or so now. I had never even had a pretzel from there until then, and I have to say they are highly recommended! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Warning: I am totally insane. But I'll tell you a secret--all the best people are.

Memoirs of a Madwoman
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 14 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #70

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Syl @ Jul 14 2011, 04:31 PM) *

My husband's childhood friend gave me a really yummy and simple recipe for cookies that are melt-in-your-mouth delicious. The best thing about them, though, is that they require almost no work whatsoever, so they're perfect for a busy schedule!

Cake Mix Cookies

1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1 large egg
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup water

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl, then drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto a cookiesheet. Bake at 350 (F) for 8-9 minutes. Let cool and enjoy.

when we go grocery shopping, my husband and I have been going to our local Walmart for a couple months or so now. biggrin.gif

GAAAAAH !!! Don't buy your meat from Walmart - EVER !!! It is NOT even 100% meat, it has between 6-12% tenderizers !! This is because it is the lowest level USDA Select quality meat or below (!!), down to one level above dog food meat.

Most grocery stores sell USDA Choice meat, the crappy stores sell USDA Select - Walmart goes below even this, there meat is just barely approved for human consumption.

Anyone don't believe me ... pick up any package of Walmart "fresh" meat and read the label. Please Note: Walmart also owns "Sam's Clubs" - so check the labels on their meat before buying as well.

I prefer USDA Prime quality meat, but usually have to settle for USDA Choice - that is the lowest quality meat anyone should eat. If any store goes below that - shop somewhere else.

Rant over.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Syl
post Jul 15 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #71

Finder
Group Icon

Oh, don't worry--we never buy our meat from Walmart! We split our shopping between a couple different stores, and we always buy our meat from the local grocer. Thank you, though--and definitely, everyone else keep that in mind too!

--------------------
Warning: I am totally insane. But I'll tell you a secret--all the best people are.

Memoirs of a Madwoman
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 15 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #72

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Syl @ Jul 14 2011, 07:14 PM) *

Oh, don't worry--we never buy our meat from Walmart! We split our shopping between a couple different stores, and we always buy our meat from the local grocer. Thank you, though--and definitely, everyone else keep that in mind too!

WHEW !!! (wipes brow). I have warned absolutely everyone about them, and Taco Bell too - although no one wants to hear about Taco Bell doing it, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Jul 15 2011, 01:08 AM
Post #73

Mouth
Group Icon

As a resident New Mexican, it shames me that Taco Bell is such a popular brand in the Southwest.

Why in Oblivion does everyone in my city eat out there? This is New Mexico! Shouldn't this stuff come to you natural? Mexico is only 300 feet* thataway! -->

*exaggeration

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 15 2011, 01:26 AM
Post #74

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Jul 14 2011, 08:08 PM) *

As a resident New Mexican, it shames me that Taco Bell is such a popular brand in the Southwest.

Why in Oblivion does everyone in my city eat out there? This is New Mexico! Shouldn't this stuff come to you natural? Mexico is only 300 feet* thataway! -->

*exaggeration

I really wish I could meet someone who could make it naturally - and with real meat !!

"I'll have a burrito supreme please ... "

Then head due east to either Cuba or Miami, take your pick ... for Moros con Plátanos - Uh oh, now I won't be able to stop craving it till I get some !!! ARGH !!! I see me making a trip to Miami now, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 15 2011, 01:30 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Syl
post Jul 18 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #75

Finder
Group Icon

My favorite place for Mexican food in our area is a restaurant called La Tolteca. I'm absolutely addicted to Pollo al Chipotle. It's to die for!

--------------------

Memoirs of a Madwoman
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 19 2011, 01:59 AM
Post #76

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Syl @ Jul 18 2011, 05:20 PM) *

My favorite place for Mexican food in our area is a restaurant called La Tolteca. I'm absolutely addicted to Pollo al Chipotle. It's to die for!

"Tastes like chicken ... "

--------------------
+Quote Post
old Andy
post Jul 19 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #77

Retainer

I make a mean chilli cool.gif

there's is no set recipe, since I need to be a certain mood to make it.

also, stew.

Anyway, I like simple foods. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Lady Syl
post Jul 20 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #78

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 18 2011, 07:59 PM) *

Ah, no... The chicken they use is real chicken. Of course, I don't doubt they buy chickens that have been fed growth-hormones... kvright.gif

--------------------

Memoirs of a Madwoman
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 20 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #79

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Syl @ Jul 19 2011, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 18 2011, 07:59 PM) *

Ah, no... The chicken they use is real chicken. Of course, I don't doubt they buy chickens that have been fed growth-hormones... kvright.gif

"Tastes like a BIG chicken ... "

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Sep 30 2011, 03:00 AM
Post #80

Mouth
Group Icon

S'jirra's Famous Potato Bread!

Formula (this is what Bakers call recipes):

Three amounts are given, the first is the weight in imperial measurements, the second is the approximate volume equivalent, and the third is the baker's percent.

Biga: 7oz | 1+1/4 Cups | 50%
Bread Flour: 14oz | 3 Cups + 2 Tbsp | 100%
Salt: 0.4oz | 1+1/2 tsp | 2.7%
Coarse ground Black Pepper: 0.03oz | 1/4 tsp | 0.21%
Instant Yeast: 0.14oz | 1+1/4 tsp | 1%
Mashed Potatoes: 6oz | 1 Cup | 42.9%
Olive Oil: 0.5oz | 1 Tbsp | 3.6%
Fresh Rosemary: 0.25oz | 2 Tbsp | 1.8%
Water: 7oz | 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp | 53.6%
Garlic: 1oz | 4 Tbsp | 7.1%
Cornmeal: For dusting
Olive Oil: For brushing

The formula for the Biga is this:

Flour: 11.25oz | 2+1/2 Cups | 100%
Water: 7oz | 3/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp | 66.7%
Instant Yeast: 0.055oz | 1/2 tsp | 0.5%

1. Mix together flour and yeast, add water.

2. Mix with spoon or spatula until dough begins to form (skip this part if using mixer).

3. Transfer to counter, knead by hand until dough is smooth and you can easily see gluten strands by stretching the dough thin and holding it up to a light source. You can also use a mixer if you have a dough hook available. This will take about 6 to 8 minutes (4 to 6 on the mixer).

4. Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl, cover, let rise until size doubles (2 to 4 hours)

5. Lightly knead dough to degas, return to bowl, cover and let sit overnight.

1. Cook and mash potatoes, or use leftovers if you have them available. Roast and chop garlic (you can also saute it if you wish, but don't burn it). Chop rosemary.

2. One hour before baking, remove biga from refrigerator, cut into smaller pieces, and let sit for one hour to take off the chill.

3. Stir together flour, salt, pepper, and yeast in a 4qt bowl. Add biga, potatoes, oil, rosemary, and water.

4. Mix with spatula until dough begins to form (skip if using mixer).

5. Transfer to counter, knead by hand until dough is smooth and you can easily see gluten strands by stretching the dough thin and holding it up to a light source. You can also use a mixer if you have a dough hook available. This will take about 8 to 10 minutes (6 to 8 on the mixer). The dough will feel firm, but tacky, and very slightly sticky.

6. Flatten dough, place garlic on top, and knead in for an additional minute. Add flour if needed to keep dough from getting too sticky.

7. Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl, cover, and ferment until doubled in size (about 2 hours).

8. Degas dough, remove from bowl, cut into two portions, and form into round balls.

9. Line a sheet pan with parchment, dust with cornmeal, and place formed loaves on the sheet pan.

10. Cover the loaves and proof at room temperature until almost doubled in size (about 1 hour). Preheat the oven to 400*F when you get here.

11. When finished proofing, bake loaves for 35 to 40 minutes. Rotate pan 180* horizontally when halfway done. If bread begins to turn too dark a brown for your taste, cover it with parchment. Internal temperature should read 190 to 195*F when bread exits oven. Crust will be very hard at first, and bread will sound hollow if thumped on the bottom lightly.

12. Transfer loaves to cooling rack and let sit for at least 1 hour before consuming.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Sep 30 2011, 03:00 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2024 - 01:01 PM