Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
Decrepit
post Jun 14 2019, 01:12 PM
Post #741

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jun 14 2019, 06:24 AM) *

I just logged in over at BethSoft forums. I did have to sign in since I hadn't been there for so long but it remembered by username/password and logged me right in. Of course the place still looks totally foreign to me as I think I've been there less than once a year since they changed to the 'new' forums.

Thanks, Acadian. After reading your post I returned to Beth and had no problem logging in. Just a temporary glitch, I reckon.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 14 2019, 01:59 PM
Post #742

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 14 2019, 08:12 AM) *

I just logged in over at BethSoft forums. I did have to sign in since I hadn't been there for so long but it remembered by username/password and logged me right in. Of course the place still looks totally foreign to me as I think I've been there less than once a year since they changed to the 'new' forums.

Thanks, Acadian. After reading your post I returned to Beth and had no problem logging in. Just a temporary glitch, I reckon.

Or a man-in-the-middle attack to get your sign-on credentials. They put up a fake screen that looks just like the real one, record your name and password, and then tell you it failed. That gets you to re-try, confirming the details, because you could really have made a mistake the first time. Once they have a consistent set of credentials, get out of the way and let you through to the real site. It's not a new idea. I first did it back in the early seventies with mainframe systems, when I worked on security for those.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jun 14 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #743

Master
Group Icon

I'd recommend changing that password.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 14 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #744

Master
Group Icon

Though I doubt anything evil is afoot I went ahead and changed my Beth password. No biggie, and it cost me only a few minutes of time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 14 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #745

Councilor
Group Icon

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/14/on...e_battleground/ - I didn't recognise any Beth/Zeni content, but there's a lot more in their portfolio than I play.

I do have the same credentials for all the forums etc. where there's nothing of value for them to steal, but different, unique ones for any paid content, such as ESO or Steam. I'm not happy with the ESO forums using the same details as the game, but that just means their forum alone gets the more secure password, etc. and it does have some utility in requiring that forum users are also game account holders.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 14 2019, 08:36 PM
Post #746

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 14 2019, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 14 2019, 01:14 PM) *

Anyone else run into this?

Can't say I have laugh.gif

Got a new old monitor home from work. And a Compaq, no less! Perfect for my DOS games! biggrin.gif

My parents had given me their old 10 gig Presario decades ago; it is the last PC I had that would play Chips.

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 14 2019, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 14 2019, 08:12 AM) *

Or a man-in-the-middle attack to get your sign-on credentials. They put up a fake screen that looks just like the real one, record your name and password, and then tell you it failed. That gets you to re-try, confirming the details, because you could really have made a mistake the first time. Once they have a consistent set of credentials, get out of the way and let you through to the real site. It's not a new idea. I first did it back in the early seventies with mainframe systems, when I worked on security for those.

Myspace used to be famous for having this "Middle man" attack. Everyone's PC's got loaded up with spy and adware from them; and who knows what else. It took me forever to clean the junk off my old PC, I finally had to reformat it. Then Myspace said it wouldn't allow access to anyone using Internet Explorer anymore; but by then everyone had migrated to FB or other social sites. Too bad, because I really hate FB.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 10 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #747

Master
Group Icon

Not an 'issue,' I don't think, but...

I still run Win10 1803, having never got the 1809 update. Not sure what's up with that. I can of course force the issue, but would rather not. I now wonder if I'll receive the new 1903 update, which looks to include a few things I 'might' actually like.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 1 2019, 12:19 PM
Post #748

Master
Group Icon

Had a scare two evenings ago. Was surfing the web with Firefox. All of a sudden Malwarebytes begins blocking outgoing 'suspicious' traffic every few seconds. This goes on for some time. Closed all open programs. Shut down computer. Turned on computer several minutes later. Opened Firefox. Same issue. Closed Firefox. Launched Brave. Same issue. Getting worried now. All that came to mind is that Avast (anti-virus) has, in the past, warned that a somewhat recent Firefox add-on extension is potentially unreliable. Disabled and removed it. No change. Switched to Brave. Browsed for some time. No Malwarbytes blockage messages! Was sort of late by then so shut down PC for the day. Next morning I launched it to find all's well (so far as I know) again. Whether it was the extension or something else I do not know. Just glad the PC isn't hosed. Hurrah for Malwarebytes for blocking potentially harmful outgoing traffic.

Only peripherally computer related: a well done video on the differences between OLED and QLED TVs.

Again only peripherally related: two short power outages yesterday morning, followed by a pre announced overnight three hour outage to repair/replace 'critical' equipment.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Oct 26 2019, 10:14 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 1 2019, 12:22 PM
Post #749

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Scary. Do let us know if you find out for sure what it was, Decrepit.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Aug 1 2019, 09:13 PM
Post #750

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 10 2019, 01:29 PM) *

I still run Win10 1803, having never got the 1809 update. Not sure what's up with that. I can of course force the issue, but would rather not. I now wonder if I'll receive the new 1903 update, which looks to include a few things I 'might' actually like.

I got a warning that my version of Windows was nearing end of life and I was running the same version.

I cant for the life of me figure out why it never updated after that version.

I got an error trying to update, something about incompatible Intel RST driver. Fixed that problem and could update.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 1 2019, 11:22 PM
Post #751

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Aug 1 2019, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 10 2019, 01:29 PM) *

I got a warning that my version of Windows was nearing end of life and I was running the same version.

I can't for the life of me figure out why it never updated after that version.

I got an error trying to update, something about incompatible Intel RST driver. Fixed that problem and could update.

I've wondered for some time if maybe a driver compatibility issue is keeping me from automatically updating. But wouldn't Windows let me know that, so I can update the incompatible driver(s)? I'm sort of afraid to manually update (Win10) to 1903 in case it destroys my installation.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 7 2019, 02:43 PM
Post #752

Master
Group Icon

Another 'software' issue, thankfully temporary. Attempted to launch Transport Fever right after breakfast / tooth brushing. Couldn't. Well over 10 mods missing! From a variety of creators. Remembering that Steam had a big update overnight, I visited its TpF Discussions forum. Sure enough, lots of folk with this issue. One fellow said that over time his 'missing' mods came back on their own. Bearing that in mind, I waited it out. Sure enough, they slowly reappeared. Reminded me to make an up-to-date backup of TpF's Workshop Mods folder, which I'm doing now. (I also need to delete some old TpF Mods folder backups. Those darn things take up a LOT of storage space.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 10 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #753

Master
Group Icon

A status report rather than an issue. Leastwise no issues associated with it have yet materialized. I received Win10 v1903 update notification early afternoon. Had a choice to postpone. Decided to take the plunge and get it over with. Worst post-update experience encountered thus far is having to redo all SoundBlaster audio settings. (SoundBlaster is built into my motherboard rather than an add-on card.) I expected that would be the case. Checking SB control panel is the first thing I once the update finished. Nvidia control panel settings remain intact, except custom colors. That's nothing new. The settings themselves are retained. Their activation check-mark gets periodically switched off.

Launched TpF: All's well there.

Launched Daggerfall Unity, installed this morning. All's well there too. Heck, even if it wasn't, I'm too new at it to determine if the Win update is at fault. (For what it's worth, so far I prefer classic Daggerfall, though Unity is fun to putz around with. We'll see if my opinion changes once I become more comfortable with Unity.)

ADDENDUM: Spoke too soon. Issues arise. Returned to the computer yesterday following a break long enough for sleep mode to kick in. Woke the screen to see a message saying something to the effect that a problem had arisen requiring a restart. Did so. All was well the rest of the day. Then this morning, boot up was halted with a BIOS message stating it couldn't load ROM. Exited out, preparing to enter the BIOS and see if I could figure out what was up. Instead, it then booted into Windows just fine (so far as I can tell).

A general issue that seemingly causes no harm once in Windows: during boot or waking from sleep the monitor no longer displays those nice scenic images before reaching the desktop. I get a blurred screen instead. No idea what's up with that.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Aug 11 2019, 03:07 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 12 2019, 09:04 PM
Post #754

Master
Group Icon

Status Update:
Win10 1903 issues mentioned above possibly fixed. <crosses fingers> Leastwise PC reached Windows Desktop upon waking after return from Dentist/Walmart.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 13 2019, 04:29 PM
Post #755

Master
Group Icon

Spoke too soon yet again. Greeted with another required reboot, and another stuck-at-BIOS coming out of SLEEP mode. Due to the BIOS message I get each time, I suspect Win10 1903 needs some BIOS setting set a certain way, which earlier versions ignored. But which? (Assuming I'm not totally off base.) Time will tell, I reckon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 17 2019, 11:57 AM
Post #756

Spam Meister
Group Icon

*sends Windows 7 to Decrepit*

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 17 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #757

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 17 2019, 05:57 AM) *

*sends Windows 7 to Decrepit*

biggrin.gif

I work around the issue by telling the computer to never sleep. (The monitor still sleeps after 5min of inactivity.)

New problem, Transport Fever stutters terribly with riding trains. This started about the time I 'updated' to a newer Nvidia graphics driver, 436.15. I first pinned it on Win10 1903, since stuttering didn't disappear after reverting to an earlier graphics driver. I visited Nvidia's forums, to find lots of folk complaining about the 436.15 (and above) driver with issues similar to mine (in a number of games), including reverting to older drivers not fixing the problem. On the plus side, so far Trainz 2019 isn't noticeably afflicted, and Daggerfall Unity isn't bad enough to be a concern.

I installed an extra 16gb RAM in my primary PC early this afternoon. I've had the two extra sticks some time now. Installed them soon as they arrived. At that time the computer would no longer boot. This was while I felt like utter crap due to mowing the lawn in super hot weather. Didn't feel up to diagnosing the problem. Removed the new sticks and continued computing with my original 16gb. Totally forgot about the new RAM until today. For whatever reason all went well this time. I of course don't need 32gb RAM. But it certainly doesn't hurt, and prices are at last reasonable again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Sep 18 2019, 08:05 PM
Post #758

Master
Group Icon

My computer only manually sleeps.

My last one, i did not let sleep at all. It refused to wake up, forcing a hard reboot.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 26 2019, 08:39 AM
Post #759

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 28 2018, 07:42 PM) *

UPDATE

It works now. I previously missed copying the files under ProgramData because that folder was hidden on the other computer. It wasn't before I saw it and dug into it on my own computer that I realized there were files there too. So yeah, now I have all progress transferred smile.gif

Sigh. This game, Plants vs Zombies, is beyond my comprehension.

When I stopped playing it in May or so it all worked fine. Now when I started it up all my progress is gone again. Haven't done anything. It still works on computer 2 so I did manage to copy it to that one. But now, even when I completely removed everything on computer 1 and installed the game from a flashdrive copied from computer 2, it still doesn't work. I don't even get the full game anymore, just the demo with max five levels on Adventure.

WHY?? sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 26 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #760

Master
Group Icon

Pirated copy? That could explain it. I've had my share of pirated games do stupid things, to the point where I just don't bother and buy the damn things.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:12 PM