8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout New Vegas, The Upcoming Fallout Game
Thomas Kaira
post Jan 9 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #61

Mouth
Group Icon

Caravan can be very confusing, so I've attempted to better organize the rules of the game. Please tell me if this helps you better understand how to play:

---Before you play...

You must own at least 30 cards to play.

A 54 card starter deck (The Tops set) can be obtained from Ringo during the tutorial.

---Building a deck

Identical cards are allowed, but they must be from different sets of cards.
IE: You can place an Ace of Spades from The Tops set and an Ace of Spades from the Gomorrah set into
your deck, but not two Aces of Spades from The Tops set.

30 cards per deck.

---The Goal

Build three lines of cards, competing to have each "caravan" contain the highest bid (numeric value)
without going under 21 or over 26. The player who sells the most caravans (see endgame rules) wins the pot.

---Opengame Rules

To start, draw 8 cards and place one numeric card or ace of any suit on the table to start your caravans.

Discarding is not allowed during the initial round.
[BUG] The player can actually make unlimited discards during the initial round because the game does
not properly block the discard function and fails to give the opponent a turn if you do.

---Midgame Rules

Once the bids are started, you can spend your turn in three ways:

1. Play one card into your caravans and draw one card
2. Discard one card from hand and draw one card
3. Disband a caravan, removing it from the table

The second card placed on the caravan sets the direction, higher means all subsequent cards must be
higher, and vice versa for lower.

You may also place any card that matches the suit of the previous card so long as it is not the same
card (IE, you can't play a 3 of spades on another 3 of spades, but can on a 10 of spades). You may
also change the direction of the caravan by doing so (IE: 9 of hearts, 7 of diamonds, 3 of spades,
5 of spades, and the descending caravan is now ascending).

Face cards are not played normally, they are instead attached to the top card in an existing caravan
(placed to the side of it) to provide a special effect. Face cards may be played on the opponent's caravans as well as your own. See the card rules for more info.

---Endgame Rules

Once a caravan has reached a value between 21 and 26, it is "sold" and can no longer be modified.

If the opposing player manages to obtain a higher numeric value on his opposite caravan than the
one you sold without going above 27, then you are outbid and the caravan sale becomes his.

The player who sold the most caravans when all caravans have been sold wins the pot.

If a caravan ties, the game continues until either player can sell it.

If either player runs out of cards, they lose automatically.

---Card rules

Numeric cards are worth exactly that number (10 of spades adds 10 to a caravan bid).

Aces are worth 1.

Attaching a Jack to a card removes that card and any other cards attached to it from the table.

Attaching a Queen to a card changes the caravan's direction and switches the current suit to
the Queen's suit.

Attaching a King to a card doubles its value. This effect stacks (two Kings triples the card, and so on).

Attaching a Joker to a card 2-10 removes all other cards of that number (and their attachments) from the table. The card the joker was attached to, however, stays put.

Attaching a joker to an Ace removes all non-face cards of the Aces suit and their attachments from the table (IE: placing it on the Ace of Spades removes all 2-10s of spades from the table), save the ace it
was played on.

Again, please let me know if this helps you understand this convoluted game a little better.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Jan 9 2011, 08:19 AM

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RagingMudcrab
post Jan 9 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #62

Evoker

Thank you for the legit rules! I never know how to play that game in real life. I enjoy exploiting the bug that allows you to cheat in New Vegas, so those rules don't exactly apply when you really try to play.

--------------------
"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live." -Ayn Rand

The Great Gate Gazette
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 9 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #63

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Jan 9 2011, 02:14 AM) *

Caravan can be very confusing, so I've attempted to better organize the rules of the game. Please tell me if this helps you better understand how to play:

---Before you play...

You must own at least 30 cards to play.

A 54 card starter deck (The Tops set) can be obtained from Ringo during the tutorial.

---Building a deck

Identical cards are allowed, but they must be from different sets of cards.
IE: You can place an Ace of Spades from The Tops set and an Ace of Spades from the Gomorrah set into
your deck, but not two Aces of Spades from The Tops set.

30 cards per deck.

---The Goal

Build three lines of cards, competing to have each "caravan" contain the highest bid (numeric value)
without going under 21 or over 26. The player who sells the most caravans (see endgame rules) wins the pot.

---Opengame Rules

To start, draw 8 cards and place one numeric card or ace of any suit on the table to start your caravans.

Discarding is not allowed during the initial round.
[BUG] The player can actually make unlimited discards during the initial round because the game does
not properly block the discard function and fails to give the opponent a turn if you do.

---Midgame Rules

Once the bids are started, you can spend your turn in three ways:

1. Play one card into your caravans and draw one card
2. Discard one card from hand and draw one card
3. Disband a caravan, removing it from the table

The second card placed on the caravan sets the direction, higher means all subsequent cards must be
higher, and vice versa for lower.

You may also place any card that matches the suit of the previous card so long as it is not the same
card (IE, you can't play a 3 of spades on another 3 of spades, but can on a 10 of spades). You may
also change the direction of the caravan by doing so (IE: 9 of hearts, 7 of diamonds, 3 of spades,
5 of spades, and the descending caravan is now ascending).

Face cards are not played normally, they are instead attached to the top card in an existing caravan
(placed to the side of it) to provide a special effect. Face cards may be played on the opponent's caravans as well as your own. See the card rules for more info.

---Endgame Rules

Once a caravan has reached a value between 21 and 26, it is "sold" and can no longer be modified.

If the opposing player manages to obtain a higher numeric value on his opposite caravan than the
one you sold without going above 27, then you are outbid and the caravan sale becomes his.

The player who sold the most caravans when all caravans have been sold wins the pot.

If a caravan ties, the game continues until either player can sell it.

If either player runs out of cards, they lose automatically.

---Card rules

Numeric cards are worth exactly that number (10 of spades adds 10 to a caravan bid).

Aces are worth 1.

Attaching a Jack to a card removes that card and any other cards attached to it from the table.

Attaching a Queen to a card changes the caravan's direction and switches the current suit to
the Queen's suit.

Attaching a King to a card doubles its value. This effect stacks (two Kings triples the card, and so on).

Attaching a Joker to a card 2-10 removes all other cards of that number (and their attachments) from the table. The card the joker was attached to, however, stays put.

Attaching a joker to an Ace removes all non-face cards of the Aces suit and their attachments from the table (IE: placing it on the Ace of Spades removes all 2-10s of spades from the table), save the ace it
was played on.

Again, please let me know if this helps you understand this convoluted game a little better.

This needs to be on it's own thread and PINNED !!!! AWESOME, Thomas Kaira !!!! Thank you !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
RagingMudcrab
post Feb 5 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #64

Evoker

BethBlog says that more DLC for New Vegas will be released in the coming months. Cool. I played Dead Money recently and it was alright. I'm hoping the next ones are a bit better though. DM was kinda tedious and the story didn't really catch me. The companions did though, so I hope we get more of that. Nice, fleshed out party members. Also, I'm super excited to find out the big secret behind Ulysees, who I'm hoping ends up being some kind of amazing boss fight or something. I've also heard that future DLC would add an area to the game that players "likely thought they would never see", as well as "a personality from Fallout 3". Personality? Obviously we'll be seeing the return of Three Dog.

Oh, and PC and PS3 users get Dead Money this 22nd. Have fun.

--------------------
"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live." -Ayn Rand

The Great Gate Gazette
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 6 2011, 02:57 AM
Post #65

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RagingMudcrab @ Feb 5 2011, 04:28 PM) *

BethBlog says that more DLC for New Vegas will be released in the coming months. Cool. I played Dead Money recently and it was alright. I'm hoping the next ones are a bit better though. DM was kinda tedious and the story didn't really catch me. The companions did though, so I hope we get more of that. Nice, fleshed out party members. Also, I'm super excited to find out the big secret behind Ulysees, who I'm hoping ends up being some kind of amazing boss fight or something. I've also heard that future DLC would add an area to the game that players "likely thought they would never see", as well as "a personality from Fallout 3". Personality? Obviously we'll be seeing the return of Three Dog.

Oh, and PC and PS3 users get Dead Money this 22nd. Have fun.

Or Moira, lol. RagingMudcrab - I know the DLC that is out now adds 5 levels, but do you know if it "Un-ends" the game if you have finished the Main Quest Line?

--------------------
+Quote Post
RagingMudcrab
post Feb 6 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #66

Evoker

Moira would be pretty fun to hang out with again. It's actually somewhat likely it will be her too, considering the Wasteland Survival Guide somehow made it's way to the Mojave from DC. She coulda brought it.

Sadly, Dead Money does not allow post-game playing. And according to senior producer Jason Bergman, it never will. That seems... incredibly stupid. I'd have thought Bethesda would have learned from Fallout 3. I remember people being upset about that. Did Obsidian not hear about it? Admittedly the ending for New Vegas isn't anywhere near as bad and phoned-in as FO3's, but still. I want to play after !

--------------------

The Great Gate Gazette
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 6 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #67

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RagingMudcrab @ Feb 6 2011, 03:53 AM) *

Moira would be pretty fun to hang out with again. It's actually somewhat likely it will be her too, considering the Wasteland Survival Guide somehow made it's way to the Mojave from DC. She coulda brought it.

Sadly, Dead Money does not allow post-game playing. And according to senior producer Jason Bergman, it never will. That seems... incredibly stupid. I'd have thought Bethesda would have learned from Fallout 3. I remember people being upset about that. Did Obsidian not hear about it? Admittedly the ending for New Vegas isn't anywhere near as bad and phoned-in as FO3's, but still. I want to play after !

Plus was a fun idea.

I agree, it is ridiculous to end the game - maybe Bethesda will talk some sense into them, lol.

One thing I liked really well in New Vegas is !

--------------------
+Quote Post
RagingMudcrab
post Feb 6 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #68

Evoker

Yeah, that was awesome. It made you feel like the little things you did actually had an impact on the end game.

--------------------

The Great Gate Gazette
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 6 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #69

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RagingMudcrab @ Feb 6 2011, 03:53 PM) *

Yeah, that was awesome. It made you feel like the little things you did actually had an impact on the end game.

I agree - it is like you really don't know how many people are effected by your seemingly insignificant actions - and then suddenly you find out they were VERY impacted, good or bad.

In Fallout 3, they did this to a certain extent, but after New Vegas - I found myself wishing FO3 had carried it further than they did.

One thing I think was overdone in Vegas was the sheer number of enemies that attack at once, the Deathclaw Promentary is ridiculous - but IMO, Bethesda should have used SOME of that idea in Oblivion. For instance, Oblivion rarely had more than 3 enemies attack at one time. It was too easy. If you get attacked by 3 mudcrabs you don't even have to stop walking ... but if you got attacked by 20 at low levels, they could kill you.

One thing I wish they had in FO3: for people like me who open every single bathroom door to see if someone threw Jet or a skill book into a toilet - I wish they would ... just every now and then ... have a ghoul pop out and charge you making that awful noise when you open a stall door in a bathroom.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 6 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #70

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 6 2011, 04:32 PM) *

One thing I wish they had in FO3: for people like me who open every single bathroom door to see if someone threw Jet or a skill book into a toilet - I wish they would ... just every now and then ... have a ghoul pop out and charge you making that awful noise when you open a stall door in a bathroom.

I am the same way. I always check every stall. After all, you never know when there might be robot in there taking a dump of spare parts! You are right though. While I have run across mole rats in the main area of the bathroom and the occasional raider, I cannot recall ever finding anyone in one of the stalls.

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 7 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #71

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 6 2011, 03:32 PM) *
One thing I think was overdone in Vegas was the sheer number of enemies that attack at once, the Deathclaw Promentary is ridiculous - but IMO, Bethesda should have used SOME of that idea in Oblivion. For instance, Oblivion rarely had more than 3 enemies attack at one time. It was too easy. If you get attacked by 3 mudcrabs you don't even have to stop walking ... but if you got attacked by 20 at low levels, they could kill you.

I thought the Deathclaw area was ridiculous too until I bought the .50 caliber rifle. Then it was FUN.

The reason Oblivion didn't have many enemies was because that version of Gamebryo couldn't handle very many NPCs on screen at the same time.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 7 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #72

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 7 2011, 10:21 AM) *

I thought the Deathclaw area was ridiculous too until I bought the .50 caliber rifle. Then it was FUN.

The reason Oblivion didn't have many enemies was because that version of Gamebryo couldn't handle very many NPCs on screen at the same time.

The Anti-Material gun? That is what I made it through with (finally! And without Veronica, I don't know where she went, but it wasn't the Promentary, lol).

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 7 2011, 04:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 7 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #73

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 6 2011, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 6 2011, 04:32 PM) *

I am the same way. I always check every stall. After all, you never know when there might be robot in there taking a dump of spare parts! You are right though. While I have run across mole rats in the main area of the bathroom and the occasional raider, I cannot recall ever finding anyone in one of the stalls.

Me neither. One time there was more than one skeleton in a stall that gave my foot a jolt when I stepped on it - that was the only thing I ever found that knocked some health out of me and surprised inside a stall.

I wouldn't want a Reaver to pop out, just a regular ghoul, or rat, maybe even a raider - but the element of surprise would have brought about a scream, pounding heart - and made me a little more cautious when opening stall doors for a while.

Then when nothing happened and I had relaxed and begun just flipping them open again ... BAM! Have it happen again.

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 7 2011, 05:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 8 2011, 03:16 AM
Post #74

Master
Group Icon

I seem to remember at least one toilet stall somewhere that has a land mine in it

--------------------

+Quote Post
RagingMudcrab
post Feb 8 2011, 03:55 AM
Post #75

Evoker

QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 7 2011, 07:21 AM) *

Yes, the Anti-Material rifle may be the greatest weapon in the game. It's brutally destructive. Totally worth the gargantuan amount of caps to demolish those pesky Deathclaws and such.

Speaking of getting mobbed by enemies, I hate Cazadors. They're Satan's abominations.

--------------------

The Great Gate Gazette
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 8 2011, 04:37 AM
Post #76

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RagingMudcrab @ Feb 7 2011, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 7 2011, 07:21 AM) *

Yes, the Anti-Material rifle may be the greatest weapon in the game. It's brutally destructive. Totally worth the gargantuan amount of caps to demolish those pesky Deathclaws and such.

Speaking of getting mobbed by enemies, I hate Cazadors. They're Satan's abominations.

Pushy does an awesome job with them, but they usually attack in groups. Two killing you while you beat one can still end up with your charcter falling in slow motion while hearing that death music.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 8 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #77

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RagingMudcrab @ Feb 7 2011, 08:55 PM) *

I hate them too. When I see them I end up pulling out a thermal lance or similar close range power weapon.

When I got my nifty-fifty I splurged and bought the incendiary rounds at 14 caps a pop. I don't remember if the game has HE rounds for the fifty but if it does I bought those too. Well worth it seeing a flaming Deathclaw running around in pain before dying a horrible death.

I had Boone with me for most of the campaign so I bought a fifty for him too. Dropped a lot of caps at the BoS HQ that day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 8 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #78

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 8 2011, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(RagingMudcrab @ Feb 7 2011, 08:55 PM) *

I hate them too. When I see them I end up pulling out a thermal lance or similar close range power weapon.

When I got my nifty-fifty I splurged and bought the incendiary rounds at 14 caps a pop. I don't remember if the game has HE rounds for the fifty but if it does I bought those too. Well worth it seeing a flaming Deathclaw running around in pain before dying a horrible death.

I had Boone with me for most of the campaign so I bought a fifty for him too. Dropped a lot of caps at the BoS HQ that day.

What is a Thermal Lance? GAAAAH! A weapon that takes down Cazadors and I haven't heard of it? GAAAAH!

The Anti-Material rifle is the only reason I made it through the Deathclaw Promentary and "The Fort" - unfortunately, using VATS on it can be dangerous to your followers sometimes - why VATS even targets them when an enemy is right there I don't know - but when you finally get it where it is supposed to be aiming (on the enemy) and shoot - there is Veronica in flames yelling, "I'm hit!"

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 8 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #79

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 8 2011, 11:55 AM) *
What is a Thermal Lance? GAAAAH! A weapon that takes down Cazadors and I haven't heard of it? GAAAAH!

The Anti-Material rifle is the only reason I made it through the Deathclaw Promentary and "The Fort" - unfortunately, using VATS on it can be dangerous to your followers sometimes - why VATS even targets them when an enemy is right there I don't know - but when you finally get it where it is supposed to be aiming (on the enemy) and shoot - there is Veronica in flames yelling, "I'm hit!"

My bad, it's actually Thermic Lance.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Thermic_lance

Does huge damage.

The fort.... Caesar's place?

I used lol missiles from Annabelle to get inside, and then lured Caesar himself out of his giant tent (and all of his body guards) and used the Hammer of Dawn on all of them!

EDIT: By Hammer of Dawn I mean the Archimedes II super weapon.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Feb 8 2011, 07:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 9 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #80

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 8 2011, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 8 2011, 11:55 AM) *

My bad, it's actually Thermic Lance.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Thermic_lance

Does huge damage.

The fort.... Caesar's place?

I used lol missiles from Annabelle to get inside, and then lured Caesar himself out of his giant tent (and all of his body guards) and used the Hammer of Dawn on all of them!

EDIT: By Hammer of Dawn I mean the Archimedes II super weapon.

I've only gotten Archimedes II to actually work once - after that it did the play through but nothing happened.

Yes, I did mean Caesar's Fortification Hill.

At Cottonwood Cove I was sneaking when I released the barrels and killed them all in one fell swoop - and never took a lick on their opinion of me, I was still accepted after all that - (that I really liked, it is much more realistic if you are not seen when you do something that no one knows you did it IMO).

They give you your weapons when you go down into the bunker. I destroyed the whole robot army (thereby ticking off Mr. House, whose screen instantly became red) - and then sneaked up the steps, using the Anti-Material gun to set fire to the legion inside that bunker without alerting them to my presence. That was the only way I could get access to my guns in the Fort.

Then I hid behind something and set fire to (killed) that Legion that takes your guns outside Caesar's tent.

Because the Legion wasn't alerted that I had killed their members I was able to get into the tent with all my guns as a non-hostile. I crouched as soon as I got in and burned them all (dogs included) till they just barely had any life left (because if any one of them dies the others instantly attack you).

Then I walked back to the bedroom and started opening fire on them. They all died quickly. It was hard to kill Caesar, I really liked his personality - but had to.

I had all Caesar's troops dead (except the one you can't get to); disabled all House's robots, (including those in Vegas thanks to the Robot Expert perk) - only four of them would not be disabled at the gates directly outside the Lucky 38 (all the rest of the gate robots in Vegas DID disable) - inside the Lucky 38 there were two robots that wouldn't disable and Victor won't, and Yes Man won't - but Jane did.

(over-rode their AI on House's PC) - Unhooked House from the main line, but kept him alive.

Got the Boomers and NCR to work together ...

- ALL SET FOR THE FINAL BATTLE - LEVEL 30 - AND MY GAME CRASHED, ALL SAVES CORRUPT !!!! GAAAAAAAAH !!!!!!

I could have SCREAMED - in fact, I did scream, lol. Now I have to go through all that all over again - GAAAAAH!!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 9 2011, 03:43 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:52 PM