202 Pages V « < 187 188 189 190 191 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
Dark Reaper
post Oct 8 2019, 04:14 AM
Post #3761

Master
Group Icon

I got finished watching the Joker movie and I really loved it, I highly recommend it also I'm not going to spoil anything you'll just have to watch it happy.gif !

--------------------
Live and let live.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 8 2019, 05:49 AM
Post #3762

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Oct 7 2019, 10:14 PM) *

I got finished watching the Joker movie and I really loved it, I highly recommend it also I'm not going to spoil anything you'll just have to watch it happy.gif !

I’m excited to see it!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 12 2019, 02:18 AM
Post #3763

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching the first 'season' of Ren: The Girl With the Mark. Like Dragon Age: Redemption, it is a series of webisodes about 9 minutes each. They all add up to a mini-movie about 45 minutes long. Amazon has it all put together into one episode. I believe it is also on YouTube.

It was really good. Like Mythica, it is another indie fantasy adventure story. I thought the setting was really cool. Lots of neat ideas and mythology that they hint it. I liked the protagonist: the eponymous Ren. My only dislike is that it is over. I look forward to more. I wish there was a novel to go with the show.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 15 2019, 12:47 AM
Post #3764

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched the second episode of Batwoman. Once again, it was solid. The plot has been very personal for these first two episodes. It is good. It gives Kate/us an immediate, personal stake in events. Often a series is not that personally focused right at the get go. It makes for a very engaging start.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 17 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #3765

Ancient
Group Icon

Thug Notes - The Heart of Darkness A really good review of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I read it a few months ago. This guy is spot on. Thug style.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 20 2019, 05:08 AM
Post #3766

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished watching the 2004 Battlestar Galactica. It was good mostly, but not great. The show really fell off the rails after the second season. Though it certainly had issues before that. Mainly in that they went for over the top drama. Every episode has some sort of manufactured conflict, even if it requires characters acting out of character to make it happen. Plus lots of gratuitous sex, again, even if there is no reason for the two characters to hook up - like Starbuck and Baltar, or Tigh and Caprica Six. Then there are no consequences for anyone's actions. At least until the final season. Then they decided to start killing off the characters since they knew they show was ending.

The ending was... less than stellar. It was also really depressing. Though that is a separate from the explanation for everything being "God did it."

Tonight I fired up the pilot movie of the original series - Saga of a Star World. It is nice to see Richard Hatch playing a good guy. Even after all these years, there is still a lot to like about the original show. I still love the original centurions, especially their voices. That "By your command!" is pure awesome. I love the original Cylon fighters and base ships. Though I did I like the base ships in the reboot series too.

I love the Colonial Warrior outfits, especially the jackets. The original vipers are also fantastic.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 20 2019, 11:54 PM
Post #3767

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished the last of the Mythica movies today, Godslayer. It was good. They are all good. If you ever played tabletop RPGs, you will adore it. It has kind of a sad ending, but they certainly showed it coming. But even then, it is not all that sad. I highly recommend all five movies.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 23 2019, 12:44 AM
Post #3768

Master
Group Icon

I just finished bingeing Dad of Light, a Netflix original series. It's a short (8 episodes, each less than 30 minutes long) Japanese series about a young man working in an office and living at home with his parents. He is flummoxed when his workaholic dad suddenly quits his job, but is unable to ask him why since they haven't had a close, or even a speaking relationship with each other in quite some time. This young man plays Final Fantasy XIV every night after work, so he gets the idea to introduce his dad to the game. He buys his dad a PS3 (or was it PS4, I can't recall) console and hooks him up into the game. Then he runs upstairs and secretly logs into the game and meets his dad's character in game, only Dad doesn't know Akio plays the game too.

It's light, it's enjoyable, and fun because so much of the show takes place inside the game. The sense of camaraderie shared by online players remind me so much of ESO that I had fun watching it. When Akio finally discovers the real reason his dad quit, I wasn't too surprised, as I've seen that trope before - it seems quite prevalent in Korean and Chinese dramas as well. But I thought it was well handled.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Oct 23 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #3769

Master
Group Icon

Recently watched What We Do In the Shadows. Hilarious!

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 23 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #3770

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Oct 23 2019, 08:29 AM) *

Yes!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Kane
post Oct 23 2019, 03:32 PM
Post #3771

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Oct 23 2019, 09:44 AM) *
QUOTE(Kane @ Oct 23 2019, 08:29 AM) *

Yes!

IPB Image

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 24 2019, 12:50 AM
Post #3772

Ancient
Group Icon

Keeping up my Spooky October viewings, I watched Quatermass and the Pit (aka 5 Million Miles to Earth). It is very British, and a rather slow build. Ok, but nothing great. I was tickled to recognize that the Military Guy was played by none other than General Veers.

What really got my attention was this quote from two of the main characters however.

Professor Bernard Quatermass : Roney, if we found out earth was doomed - say, by climatic changes - what would we do about it?

Dr. Mathew Roney : Nothing. Just go on squabbling as usual.

A 60 year old movie, and exactly on the nose.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 24 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #3773

Ancient
Group Icon

My latest spooky film was Flatliners, which I have not seen in ages. It was good, but not great. The premise seems a little wonky. Scientists want to flatline and be revived to learn the Truth About Death. Given that people had certainly technically died and been revived before this, and came back with no world-changing revelations, why would Kiefer Sutherland and Kevin Bacon think they were going to do anything different?

But it is still a fun ride, as the characters face their inner demons, and have to find forgiveness, or give them their own forgiveness. So it has a nice human element, and is not really about spooks and scares, but rather atonement. What I liked about it was that none of it was necessarily supernatural. It could be. Or it could just all be in their heads, and the ghosts be metaphorical ones.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 26 2019, 09:13 PM
Post #3774

Ancient
Group Icon

I am not sure why, but I watched the "old" Fantastic Four movie from 2005. It was not good of course. Kind of bland. Though Michael Chiklis was awesome as Ben Grimm. I think part of the problem is that the F4 is just from such an old era, that so many things about it seem hokey. The names are eye-rolling. Johnny Storm, Ben Grimm. "It's clobberin' time!" *sigh*.

I also watched the "new" Fantastic Four movie from 2015. It started out ok, with Reed and Ben as kids. Then I liked them in school and going to the Baxter Building, which was actually a tech university like MIT. But it wastes too much time in the early movie. Then once they get to the point where they get their powers they completely rework the origin story. I give them props for trying to do something fresh. But it the rest of the movie just falls flat from there on out. So pretty meh.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 27 2019, 05:25 PM
Post #3775

Master
Group Icon

At YouTube (where else?) I watched a well-made documentary (?) on the life of Marlene Dietrich. What an interesting individual!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Oct 28 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #3776

Master
Group Icon

I got finished watching a new IP on YouTube called Hazbin Hotel and for an indie adult cartoon its a really great show hope they make more of it.

Just realized Hazbin=Has been...good one.

I'd post a link but the shows uses a lot of "colorful words". Just go to YouTube and search for Hazbin Hotel, I think you'll guys will like it, specially if you like the old Beetlejuice cartoons.

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Oct 28 2019, 08:34 PM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 29 2019, 04:26 AM
Post #3777

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Oct 28 2019, 02:06 PM) *

I got finished watching a new IP on YouTube called Hazbin Hotel and for an indie adult cartoon its a really great show hope they make more of it.

Just realized Hazbin=Has been...good one.

I'd post a link but the shows uses a lot of "colorful words". Just go to YouTube and search for Hazbin Hotel, I think you'll guys will like it, specially if you like the old Beetlejuice cartoons.

It looks interesting!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 31 2019, 12:11 AM
Post #3778

Ancient
Group Icon

Still watching Batwoman. I can see that they are definitely using Chicago for Gotham City, aside from the few comics-specific sites like Wayne Tower. I was also tickled to see that the villain in episode 3 is none other than January's brother Romulus - Gabriel Mann. He's just as big a dick in this as he is in the Stormcrow fiction. I guessed I picked the right actor to imagine Romulus as.

And later she gets information out of someone by taking a selfie with them. I love it. Just like January as well. And so 21st century.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 1 2019, 01:13 AM
Post #3779

Ancient
Group Icon

Watched Curse of the Blair Witch today, along with a special on Amazon called Creating Modern Ghost Stories: The Blair Witch Project. Curse was a faux documentary created from footage that was originally going to be in the film. But the creators decided that the found footage stuff of the trio in the woods worked better on its own. So they released Curse on the Sci Fi Channel a week before the movie came out. It is basically a companion piece/publicity for the movie. It is created as a documentary about the Blair Witch, and does give a lot of the background folklore about what is going on in the movie. Back in the day I saw this on tv before I went to see the film, and it really did add a lot to the experience.

Creating Modern Ghost Stories is an interview with 3 of the filmmakers and talking to them about the creation of the film. I must confess to crushing on the woman who was the historical fabricator for the movie (that was a real title) She talked about how she invented the documentation used in the film, and the varying grades of real fakes, fake fakes, and actual legit documents they used to create the mythology of the Blair Witch. That includes creating fake sources to make citations off of, knowing that most people will never follow up on those citations and see that they are fake. It was all about creating an air of verisimilitude to draw the viewers in with the premise that this could be real. I knew it was not when I saw it of course. I was a sketpic even back then. But I really appreciated the effort, so I leaned into it for all the extra fun it created.

She even talks about how for years people would try to contact the Maryland Historical Society asking for a book created by the movie, that the mythology claims they have. The Historical Society of course tells these people it isn't real. So the people insist that they are covering it up and refusing to let people read it.

I am not sure if I want to watch the actual Blair Witch Project now or not. I have been planning on doing a Castlevania marathon to end Spooky October, and I have already watched the first episode of that. I might just finish that first and save the Witch for the weekend.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 1 2019, 03:22 AM
Post #3780

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 31 2019, 07:13 PM) *
I have been planning on doing a Castlevania marathon to end Spooky October

I love the Netflix Castlevania series. Hope they release season 3 soon!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 187 188 189 190 191 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:31 AM