Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Nerf-Herders' Rest...(Or...It's A Trap!!...), A Star Wars discussion thread...
Darkness Eternal
post Jul 21 2014, 02:00 AM
Post #121

Master
Group Icon

A dream come true! Temuera Morrison is returning as Boba Fett(technically he played Jango). I was afraid that the new Boba spinoff would feature some random white guy as Boba but Temuera is the guy. He'll, he's a clone in the movies. Glad he's coming back.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Sep 12 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #122

Councilor
Group Icon

*Is absolutely so much looking forward to this new Star Wars that he could float on air at every new photo that gets leaked... biggrin.gif ...*...
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Oct 8 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #123

Councilor
Group Icon

Y'see, this is a perfect example of why I don't care about Star Wars anymore: click

****ing Lucas... dry.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 8 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #124

Master
Group Icon

I thought they'd announced that they'd dropped the EU stuff ages ago.

To be completely honest, it's a decision I pretty much agree with (except the dropping of the Clone Wars, and that's mainly due to its sheer popularity). The Extended Universe was nice and all, but it's audience was a tiny fraction of Star Wars' main crowd, an overwhelming majority who have only seen the movies. I can see why Disney wouldn't want future directors to be tied down by what's essentially glorified fanfic when an overwhelming majority of the audience won't care or even know about it.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Oct 8 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #125

Councilor
Group Icon

And in the time between Lucas making the films and then spawning the abominations, the EU was the Star Wars universe. All of it approved by Lucasarts, some of it even commisioned by them.

To simply discard all of it, and effectively say "By the way, we've been selling you bullshit all these years, thanks for buying and we hope you like the new films" is simply inexcusable.

Considering how much there is in the EU compared to the films, and the length of time between the films and the abominations, saying that the EU was only for a fraction of the Star Wars crowd is ridiculous. Without the EU Star Wars would have been dead long before Lucas even though of doing a sequel.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 8 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #126

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Ive said it before and I say it again; the only Star Wars that is canon for me are the three original movies.

*gets post notorized*

.... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 8 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #127

Ancient
Group Icon

I really don't care what is 'cannon' or not. A good story is a good story, whether it is written by someone paid by the company that own the copyright, or by someone on the internet doing fan fiction entirely on their own.

I read a lot of the early Star Wars books, like Tales Of the Mos Eisley Cantina, and the other Tales Of books, and I loved them. They are no less well-written or entertaining if whoever happens to currently own the rights to the Star Wars universe refuses to acknowledge them. I love a lot of the fan fic I read here, and none of it is Bethesda canon!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 8 2014, 05:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Oct 8 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #128

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 8 2014, 09:13 AM) *

I really don't care what is 'cannon' or not. A good story is a good story, whether it is written by someone paid by the company that own the copyright, or by someone on the internet doing fan fiction entirely on their own.

I read a lot of the early Star Wars books, like Tales Of the Mos Eisley Cantina, and the other Tales Of books, and I loved them. They are no less well-written or entertaining if whoever happens to currently own the rights to the Star Wars universe refuses to acknowledge them. I love a lot of the fan fic I read here, and none of it is Bethesda canon!

This. Grand Admiral Thrawn is one of my favorite characters in the Star Wars universe. I'm not going to stop liking him just because Disney tells me he's not canon. They can have their canon, and I'll continue to have mine.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Oct 8 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #129

Mouth
Group Icon

But Rebels looks good... sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 8 2014, 11:47 PM
Post #130

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Oct 8 2014, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 8 2014, 09:13 AM) *

This. Grand Admiral Thrawn is one of my favorite characters in the Star Wars universe. I'm not going to stop liking him just because Disney tells me he's not canon. They can have their canon, and I'll continue to have mine.

I loved that first Timothy Zahn trilogy. It was really exciting back when it first came out, because those were the first books to be written since the Alan Dean Foster one - Splinter Of The Mind's Eye, and the Han Solo books by Brian Daley that were written back in the late 70s. It breathed new life back into the idea of Star Wars, and opened up the whole Star Wars universe.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Oct 11 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #131

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 8 2014, 03:47 PM) *

I loved that first Timothy Zahn trilogy. It was really exciting back when it first came out, because those were the first books to be written since the Alan Dean Foster one - Splinter Of The Mind's Eye, and the Han Solo books by Brian Daley that were written back in the late 70s. It breathed new life back into the idea of Star Wars, and opened up the whole Star Wars universe.

I know what you mean. That Zahn trilogy remains the only Star Wars books I have ever read. I don't really know why, considering how much I liked them.

I wonder if Disney is going to resurrect the KOTOR franchise finally. If they do that, I'll be willing to overlook the whole canon debate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Nov 28 2014, 05:01 PM
Post #132

Master
Group Icon

At first I was mad at all the fake fanmade videos on Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Until I found the real one!

IPB Image

Did you see that Dark-Sider! SQUEALS! That red lightsaber looks terrible though.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 28 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #133

Councilor
Group Icon

I got as far as that lightsaber and bailed.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was worried they do...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Nov 29 2014, 04:57 AM
Post #134

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 28 2014, 03:31 PM) *

I got as far as that lightsaber and bailed.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was worried they do...

I am Darth Fuckyouuppicus....

This post has been edited by Rohirrim: Nov 29 2014, 04:58 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 30 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #135

Master
Group Icon

Ah yes, the longsword lightsabre. It does indeed ruin everything and irredeemably destroy the entirety of Episode VII because as we all know everything in Star Wars has, up until now, been super duper serious and ultra-realistic and there has never been anything silly in any of the films. Ever. Not at all.
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Nov 30 2014, 03:51 PM
Post #136

Master
Group Icon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLACBB157C...params=OAFIAVgM

How Vader truly rose.

And that lightsabre thingamajig. I'm kinda in a neutral "Meh" mood right now.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 30 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #137

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 30 2014, 10:45 AM) *

Ah yes, the longsword lightsabre. It does indeed ruin everything and irredeemably destroy the entirety of Episode VII because as we all know everything in Star Wars has, up until now, been super duper serious and ultra-realistic and there has never been anything silly in any of the films. Ever. Not at all.

A crossguard like that on a lightsaber is more of a danger to the wielder than anything else. When you're dealing with a weapon that could cut a person in two with a mere flick of the wrist, something that restricts how you can wield the weapon is solely a negative thing. When someone who can only be a villain isn't even taken seriously, why should I take the trailer seriously?

And when the last set of films are a continuity nightmare in comparison to the originals, why should I expect this next one to be any better? Also: Jar Jar Abrams. Considering what the Star Trek films were like, I really doubt it's too early to write these off.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 30 2014, 06:48 PM
Post #138

Master
Group Icon

Considering it's a new director, new cast, new writers and they're all wary of the massive backlash against the prequels, I think it's only fair to give the film a chance before complaining about it. After all, it's hard for Abrams to do worse things to the trilogy than what Lucas has already done.

I mean, I get that this is the internet, this is a sci-fi film and I know a huge part of geek culture consists of incessantly and arbitrarily complaining about minor things ad nauseum, but the amount of whining that's been going on about the lightsabre is ridiculous. It's not out for another year and some people are already acting like Abrams has personally punched their mother just based on that one brief clip. The amount of doomsaying, beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth people have already done about this film has been absolutely absurd.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 30 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #139

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 30 2014, 05:48 PM) *

Considering it's a new director, new cast, new writers and they're all wary of the massive backlash against the prequels, I think it's only fair to give the film a chance before complaining about it. After all, it's hard for Abrams to do worse things to the trilogy than what Lucas has already done.

I mean, I get that this is the internet, this is a sci-fi film and I know a huge part of geek culture consists of incessantly and arbitrarily complaining about minor things ad nauseum, but the amount of whining that's been going on about the lightsabre is ridiculous. It's not out for another year and some people are already acting like Abrams has personally punched their mother just based on that one brief clip. The amount of doomsaying, beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth people have already done about this film has been absolutely absurd.

To be fair, the lightsaber is pretty much the single most recognisable element from Star Wars (though personally I'm kinda pissed about the change of the X-Wing too). Changing something like that, especially when it's done just for the sake of it, and then throwing it in the trailer, alongside the X-Wing redesign, makes it look more like this film's about those involved stamping their names on the franchise. Changing anything iconic to a franchise needs to be done for a damn good reason, and frankly, there really doesn't seem to be one.

Consider how much the Star Wars films spawned, all the books and games. How many games can we play as a Jedi/Sith, or fly an X-Wing in? Hel, the X-wing got not only it's own series of games, but a series of novels too. I'll grant you the X-Wing redesign is a personal peeve of mine, but when changing anything like that, backlash is inevitable, and pretty much states that this isn't going to be a film for fans of the orignial Star Wars films, the ones that started everything off.

Frankly, they must have expected something like this from the trailer, because it really isn't surprising.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 28 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #140

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I love Collegehumours spoofs of Star Wars but I dont like how the made the troopers look like they have Borg equipment attached to their eye.. huh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:43 AM