Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 2, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Linara
post Nov 29 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #241

Agent

Oooh, this is my favorite of all of Buffy's interactions with Savlian Matius! The part where he goes in after her and grabs her still makes my toes curl! And his outburst afterwards just feels so natural, so realistic, I found myself cringing along with Buffy.

Can I enthusiastically second that? Well it's seconded. That was great. There were lots of things I'd like to quote, but the best part is that it was so realistic. Buffy remembering one thing Savlian said, his outburst, her stubbornness. Really wonderful.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 29 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #242

Ancient
Group Icon

It is three days since the last episode, so that means only one thing, More Buffy! biggrin.gif

to those who are kind to her, she gives of herself freely.
After seeing that pic of the Buffster in her hunting garb, Teresa promises to be nice, and would like to know how freely Buffy gives... hubbahubba.gif

Frightened butterflies inside my stomach tried to convince my feet to turn back.
An excellent way of portraying Buffy's jitters.

Ok, Buffy, don't do or say anything stupid.
This had me laughing out loud! So perfect!

I jeopardized my mission chasing after a woman because she makes me feel. . .
Makes you feel what Salvian? wink.gif

An exciting episode of the Buffy show! The young Buffster gets her first real view of the Deadlands, and realizes just how far in over her head she still is. Not only concerning Oblivion, but also when it comes to being a member of a team and taking orders (why is "you are not the boss of me!" ringing in my memory? wink.gif). Even more so she sees how far in over her head she is concerning a certain guard captain...

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Nov 29 2010, 05:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 29 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #243

Ancient
Group Icon

This was always one of my fave chapters!!!!! The edits have made it smoother - AWESOME !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grizzly20
post Nov 29 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #244

Retainer

Things are starting to get really exciting! Definitely an interesting reaction between Buffy and Savlian Matius. I believe he really does care for her, and deep down is, perhaps, in love, ha ha. Nice work! Can't wait for more!
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Nov 29 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #245

Mouth
Group Icon

I've got some catching up to do.

51 Who’s in Charge Here? Part 2

I will refrain from any further comment about Sigrid’s attributes. I will comment on the clever use of the type of daedra emerging from the gate as an effective device to note the passage of time. Now that Buffy no longer marks new levels by engaging in Arena bloodletting, the type of creature she encounters in her travels should prove a more than adequate substitute.

Like ‘Rosa, I loved the name the Wolf’s Head Tavern. It is an absolutely perfect fit for the city of Kvatch.

52 Who’s in Charge Here? Part 3

As far as showing without telling is concerned, this chapter stands alone. We don’t need to be told how Buffy feels toward Savlian. Her willingness to throw herself into an Oblivion Gate in order to ease his troubled mind speaks volumes. Conversely, we don’t need to be told how Savlian feels about her. His willingness to forsake duty itself in order to venture into Oblivion after her says far more than words could. Even his need to scold her afterward comes more from worry than from anger. It is easy to see why these two souls would be drawn to each other.

You have awakened the romantic in all of us with this chapter, Acadian. Thank you.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Casper1984
post Nov 30 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #246

Retainer

QUOTE(Acadian @ Nov 29 2010, 02:57 PM) *

"I will try." As I wheeled and headed down the hill toward the encampment, Savlian's words echoed: 'chasing after a woman because she makes me feel. . . .' What did I make him feel? What did he make me feel? Why was everything about such matters so confusing?

Someone fortify this chick's intelligence. Ah what do I know about love anyway. Nvm. laugh.gif

I spun around and sprinted for the gate.

I totally envisioned ninja run animation there. biggrin.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrqOIUXFgcw

pauldron

Mod? tongue.gif

Nice chapter. I'm getting more and more curious about how Buffy will handle (the rest of) the main quest and how far along it's possible to go with Jauffre dead (that already happened in this re-write didn't it?).
+Quote Post
treydog
post Nov 30 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #247

Master
Group Icon

It has been highlighted before, but I don’t care- this is such a perfect bit of writing it deserves to be praised:

We were both heavily laden; she with the carcasses of three deer, and I with trepidation.

Buffy’s honesty about her confusion is also refreshing- she has learned that it is one thing to try to rationalize- but quite another to lie to herself about it.

"Would you like me to prove my credentials by turning you into a chicken?"

Another sign of Buffy becoming more confident- to recognize that no insult was intended and to turn it aside with a joke.

The interaction with Sigrid was a joy to read.

And so was everything with Savlian- especially this perfect summation of relationships:

What did I make him feel? What did he make me feel? Why was everything about such matters so confusing?

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Dec 2 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #248

Knower
Group Icon

Buffy, you're autobiography is quite interesting...But I have one question... I heard someone say you were Acadian the Paladin. Silly people, eh?

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 2 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #249

Paladin
Group Icon

Chapter 52 was Buffy's third of four episodes spanning her current Kvatch visit. She once again came face to face with Savlian Matius under the Oblivion Gate's shadow. After some misunderstanding and sparks, the two of them seemed to achieve a cooperative understanding. Buffy agreed she would attempt to teach her fellow mage Sigrid an illusion spell that may help Savlian bolster his defenses.

Rider- This past episode (and the next) are very precious to us. My biggest fear when it comes to matters of Buffy's heart, is that I will lack the skill to present the power of her emotions properly. Your kind words are so very reassuring.

Linara- Thank you for those supportive words regarding Buffy + Savlian. On one hand, I don't want to move things too quickly; on the other hand, it will be some time before Buffy sees Savlian again after this next episode, so this visit has to carry some lasting weight.

SubRosa- Thank you as ever for your wonderful and detailed observations! I found it quite ironic that Buffy followed her self-admonishment not to do anything stupid by jumping into an Oblivion Gate. ohmy.gif She would claim she's not the brightest star in the night sky; I would simply admit that she leads with her emotions.

mALX- Thank you so much for the kind words! Buffy does indeed speak more clearly to me in 2.0.

Grizzly- Thank you. Although likely smitten by Savlian, Buffy will have difficulty understanding how the courageous and selfless hero would be drawn to what she considers to be a skittish, fearful and scrawny wood elf. She will require more than her share of reassurance to accept and understand what may become obvious to us.

Destri- Such wonderful words from a writer I respect so much. That you can see why 'these two souls would be drawn to each other' is perhaps the highest compliment you could share with me. Only surpassed by saying I 'have awakened the romantic in all of us'. Thank you for such kind reassurance.

Casper- As I mentioned to Grizzly, I expect Buffy will require quite the reassurance to accept that Savlian could care for her romantically. Thanks for the clever ninja vid! Buffy used the term 'pauldron' generically referring to the armor's shoulder covering. The little lock of hair caught in Savlian's armor that was torn from Buffy's scalp? We'll learn more about it in a few dozen chapters.

The rest of the Main Quest? Book 1 will only see the Oblivion Crisis progress to Kvatch, and Buffy will indeed attempt to help to free that city. The rest of the Oblivion Crisis is planned for Book 2 and in many ways will not resemble the game. As the Emperor told her so long ago: "You are not the one who will save the Empire, but it cannot be saved without you." It seems the timing of Jauffre's murder prevented him from sharing the heir's identity with anyone besides Buffy. Although she will never be called Champion of Cyrodiil, her exclusive knowledge of the heir seems consistent with the Emperor's words. The simple elf from Bravil, of course, does not concern herself with such impersonal concepts such as 'The Empire'. Rather, she is motivated by strong personal loyalties and relationships to individuals that she holds dear.

treydog- Thank you for your beautiful and soothing words that are so helpful, especially relating to episodes where Buffy so openly lays bare her heart.

Zalphon- It's about time someone recognized that I'm my own elf! Seriously now, even though Acadian doesn't have physical substance, he's every bit as real as I am.

53 Who's in Charge Here? Part 4

The following morning found us trudging our way up to the barricade. I thought about the mage walking beside me. Sigrid seemed awfully attractive wearing her velvet dress, so inconsistent with this Akotosh-forsaken place. Was teaching my guild mate a helpful spell and delivering her to Savlian Matius wise? I looked up and over at her small human ears, pretty face and the buxom profile of how she filled her gown. I then looked down at the, um. . . more petite front of my Arena raiment and felt more than a little intimidated. Stop being a stupid, self-centered elf, Buffy. Sigrid's a talented mage and Savlian needs her help.

"I see the Mages Guild is arriving," was our warm welcome.

"Good morning, Savlian," Sigrid and I said in unison.

That his eyes were more focused on me than the beautiful Nord at my side spoke volumes to my self-consciousness and uncertain heart. Savlian continued, "Ladies, please take a position next to our Legion archer right behind the barricade." He then tapped two fingers to his headband and, with a small nod, proceeded to move comfortably among the other defenders on duty.

As I watched him confidently checking the welfare of each soldier and offering encouragement, it was abundantly clear to me that he was indeed the force that held this effort together.

I tore my eyes from the hero with a headband and turned to Sigrid, "You're comfortable with that spell? Remember, you don't have to be very accurate with it."

The Nord replied with grim determination, "If I can help kill some of those beasts that slaughtered my guild, I will do so."

"Just make sure you stay behind Savlian's men," I said. "They'll protect you." Yes. She was ready - a force to be reckoned with even.

We didn't wait long before a flame atronach burst through the gate. With both hands, Sigrid released a green swirl of illusion energy. The magic impacted harmlessly against one of the swordsmen engaged with the atronach, but the spell's burst radius rendered the beast docile. The fiery creature was quickly and safely killed.

Sigrid was beaming. "It worked! Such a clever spell, Buffy. What made you think to create it?"

I winced, as I recalled what the spell had cost. "It was inspired by a brave Imperial Legion rider - and a lion." I then smiled and added, "You were wonderful, Sigrid."

"Congratulations, ladies!" exclaimed Savlian as he returned from the fray, sheathing his sword. "Sigrid, that was perfect. Buffy, thank you for the idea, and for teaching Sigrid your spell. This can make our task here easier."

I was proud of my guild mate. This was a fearful place and she had not hesitated. I caught Savlian's eye, and motioned behind me with my head. As I moved away from the barricade, he came with me.

"Savlian, I must leave Kvatch - for now."

Surprise registered in his beautiful brown eyes before he quickly turned his gaze toward the cursed, flaming portal. After a moment, he slowly nodded. "My small force is better provisioned, and their numbers have grown thanks to you." He then turned to face me and looked into my eyes. "I know I asked you to stay away until this gate was closed, but I can see now that you're a talented mage and huntress. Buffy, I know this is a filthy, miserable existence up here, but. . . I was hoping you might stay."

I blinked in surprise. My mouth opened to speak, then closed again. Part of me wanted to squeal 'YES!' to his invitation. Oh Dear Mara, give me the strength to say what I know I must. "Savlian, we both know this nightmare cannot end as long as that gate remains open. I have spent much effort learning about Oblivion gates and the Deadlands. I've read countless books and visited numerous Daedra Lords."

Pausing for a moment, I searched for the right words. "I want to do more for you than hunt deer and assist in killing stray Daedra. I know what holds that portal open, but I lack the skills and knowledge to help you close it. I must remedy that. Also, you've seen the power that magic can bring to your mission. I have some ideas to provide more magic here, and I want to try and recruit additional defenders for you as well." I was blinking back tears now and I could feel my chin starting to quiver. "I-I cannot do those things from here though."

Savlian met my gaze and said slowly, "Buffy, I had no idea you were doing on these things for Kvatch."

The words stung. I lowered my eyes as I bit my tongue. I wanted to scream, 'Are you blind? Can't you see I'm not doing it for Kvatch, you beautiful, dumb man?' After a moment, I managed to meet his gaze again and quietly say, "You protect the city. I will learn how to close that gate for us."

"You're right of course," replied Savlian. "This gate must be closed, and while I can't leave here to seek the means to do it, you can. Anything you're able to do or learn in your travels to help will be most welcome."

I searched his brown eyes, trying to identify the emotion within. Regret, at losing a mystic archer from his defensive perimeter? Hope, at gaining a scout willing to go forth on his behalf? Is that all I was to him?

As if to answer my questions, he removed a gauntlet and reached out toward my cheek.

My eyes closed upon his touch. I felt my face melt into his open hand as if it belonged there.

"Buffy from Bravil, please be careful. There will be an empty place here until you return."

Reluctantly opening my eyes, I replied, "You be careful, Savlian Matius. I'm not the one standing before the jaws of Oblivion every day."

I forced my feet to turn and hurry down the hill, before I could change my mind.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Dec 2 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #250

Master
Group Icon

As one who just recently completed a romance novel (and am still in the aftermath of it), all I can say about this chapter is

Awww!

I was living Buffy's role in this. When she was comparing herself to Sigrid's abundance, I knew the sense of inadequacy she was feeling. When she realized that Savlian was looking more at HER than at Sigrid's assets, I was elated. When Savlian said he was hoping Buffy would stay, I wanted to squeal YES! right along with Buffy. And when he touched her face, I just went all gooey inside. Oooh! *twirling here*

Well done, Acadian. You have a skill for writing romantic scenes that make me more than a little green!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 2 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #251

Ancient
Group Icon

Tissues! GAAAAH! These last two Matias chapters are great examples of a man getting into a woman's head to write! Awesome Acadian !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 2 2010, 04:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 2 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #252

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 2 2010, 08:07 AM) *

I winced, as I recalled what the spell had cost. "It was inspired by a brave Imperial Legion rider - and a lion."

I read about that day on another forum, and I followed your link to catch up with Buffy here. It still gives me a tear.

A delicate scene in front of an Oblivion gate with fresh blood on the ground. You made my day.

When Buffy starts to doubt herself, hopefully she will remember that the Captain of the Guard cupping her face in his hand has nothing to do with new spells or venison!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Casper1984
post Dec 2 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #253

Retainer

Thanks again for explaining Acadian. The pauldron was just a joke, and I played Morrowind which did include pauldrons. smile.gif

Pity Buffy is leaving Kvatch again. Not sure what she's going to do but I guess we'll see at some point. First to Leyawiin I say, let's not forget that. happy.gif
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 2 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #254

Ancient
Group Icon

Was teaching my guild mate a helpful spell and delivering her to Savlian Matius wise?
I love Buffy's natural jealousy! She would be a fool not to feel at least a twinge of doubt, under the circumstances.

Can't you see I'm not doing it for Kvatch, you beautiful, dumb man?
I am sure he cannot!

Very sweet! A wonderful portrayal of Buffy's warring emotions: On one hand her desire to stay near the man she loves, and on the other her need to leave so that she can finish her work, and thusly return to end the siege for once and all.

Now I am also wondering what is going to happen to that lock of Buffy's hair that Salvian will find/has found stuck in his armor?

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 3 2010, 01:33 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grizzly20
post Dec 3 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #255

Retainer

You have an in-act skill for romanticism Acadian. Excellent work! I think we've all been there, be if we're a man or women, wanting to be closer to the one you secretly love, wondering if they truly love you back, and want to be closer to you. Excellent reading, I love Buffy's story. Keep up the amazing work!
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Dec 3 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #256

Mouth
Group Icon

I winced, as I recalled what the spell had cost. "It was inspired by a brave Imperial Legion rider - and a lion." I then smiled and added, "You were wonderful, Sigrid."

Gaius Rulician’s influence is felt even at the gates of Kvatch. There is a nice and proper symmetry to the idea that the selfless act of a legionary will help save the lives of those manning the barricade in Kvatch.

Buffy may have stopped herself from screaming at Savlian, but she could not hold back the Freudian slip:
"You protect the city. I will learn how to close that gate for us."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Dec 4 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #257

Knower
Group Icon

Buffy, why do you always have issues with authority? *looks at Uriel* Your Higness, she'll bite your head off...

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 5 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #258

Paladin
Group Icon

In Chapter 53, Buffy concluded her visit to Kvatch with the understanding that she would continue to seek and refine assistance for Savlian Matius. Despite Buffy's skittishness, and Savlian's single-minded focus on Kvatch, the two spirits do indeed seem drawn to each other.

Rider- I'm humbled and honored that you were able to feel what Buffy felt. That I was able to share her emotions with you makes my heart sing. Thank you for your beautiful words.

mALX- I'm simultaneously sorry and overjoyed that you needed tissues for these last two chapters - if that makes sense. smile.gif I find Buffy's emotions quite complex and somewhat difficult to understand. Fortunately, she is not at all shy about sharing them with me. Indeed, seeing Tamriel through her eyes and heart has been quite the eye-opener. Thank you.

Grits- Thank you so much for joining us, and a hearty welcome to this wonderful forum! You are very insightful! Buffy will of course have doubts about her feelings, and the memory of Savlian's hand upon her face will indeed help bring her back.

Casper- Spot on you are, my friend! She does indeed have that Sanguine quest to prosecute. Buffy does few things in a straightforward manner, but she is definitely working her way to Leyawiin - after a couple more brief side trips (of course). tongue.gif

SubRosa- Thank you for your kind words and for endorsing Buffy's confusing emotions. I had no doubt that lock of hair would trigger your interest. Let's file the memory away for several dozen episodes, then celebrate with some Tamika's when we see it again. wink.gif

Grizzly- I'm so glad you enjoyed the romance in Buffy's scenes with Savlian. Those memories are very precious to her, and we are ecstatic to have your endorsement!

Destri- I'm glad that the influence of Gaius Rulician's brave fall at the claws of a lion was able to be remembered in a way that carries import.

"I will learn how to close that gate for us." Yes, such a tiny word, yet I'm so glad you drew attention to its importance. Indeed, her words there said more than her heart understands.

Zalphon- Thank you. For a high maintenance, independent, skittish elf, Buffy actually takes to authority fairly well. . . sometimes. I think she's learned from Savlian to appreciate the fact that those burdened with a mantle of responsibility require a degree of authority.

54 A Revealing Moment

I felt as though part of me belonged in Kvatch now, and didn't trust myself not to turn around and go back. That's why Superian and I had quickly put the burning city well behind us. During our trip east, I kept thoughts of Savlian Matius at bay by focusing on what I had learned at Kvatch, and thinking about Sanguine's task.

After several days of travel, we now approached Lake Rumare. "Acadian, I fail to see how disrupting some noble's party in Leyawiin is going to help Savlian."

Who is it that asked for my help marking her map, and does she perhaps have a better idea?

"You would throw my own words back at me?"

Are you now ready to take us into the Deadlands?

"Well, no. Not yet."

I agree. Patience, my bowgirl.

"Patience?" I groused. "That's two four letter words stuck together! I hate being patient!"

You would prefer us to embrace a single four letter word, such as dead? I did not mismark your map.

Acadian's silent words echoed in my mind. I knew the paladin would go wherever I took us and accept my choices. I also knew that during those times when he had led us, it had never been astray. I sighed. "I'm sure you're right. I trust your help. I just-"

Superian's ears perked and she quickened her pace. The Valley of Horses now opened its welcoming meadows and canyons to us. I leaned forward to pat the mare's neck. "You smell the barn. I'll bet Thernd will make up some oats and apples with a touch of molasses if you give him a kiss. I've got some work to do at the University for a day or so, but I know you're looking forward to plenty of cool water and fresh hay. What I want is a long, hot bath and a real bed. Oh, and some sweet rolls. And strawberries."

I studied the slender stream of flame connecting the tip of my finger to the silver teapot. Soon, steam began to rise. From one of the cabinets flanking the nearby spellmaking altar, I collected two cups and filled one for myself. Sipping my tea, I waited.

I was more than a little perturbed at Daedra Lords as I thought about the two spells thrust upon me by Namira and Sanguine. In fact, I felt somewhat violated and was determined to at least figure out what the spells did.

There were two mages at the University considered to be the finest spellcrafters in all of Cyrodiil. Borissean was overly cautious and had no sense of adventure. Gaspar Stegine, on the other hand, had been up for the challenge of helping me unravel the Daedric magic.

We had quickly discovered that Namira's Shroud was an alteration spell that extinguished flame. Although simple, it would have been lethal for the Priests of Arkay if used on their torches in the ruins of Anga - as Namira had wished.

Sanguine's Stark Reality spell was more complex. The night prior, Gaspar and I had acknowledged the lateness of the hour and agreed to meet again early this morning to continue our research.

The door opened and Gaspar breezed into the Praxographical Center. I turned for the teapot. He wasted no time in getting right to business. "You know that element hidden within Sanguine's spell we couldn't figure out? It hit me in the middle of the night." Accepting the proffered cup of tea, he added, "Oh, good morning."

"And what is your verdict, Gaspar?" I said to the master spellcrafter.

Setting his cup on a nearby table without drinking, he continued, "Insidiously hidden within its alteration magic is a destruction component of some sort."

"Sanguine expects me to use destruction magic on nobles?" I mused warily. "How do you suggest we proceed?"

"I'm afraid we've analyzed it as much as we can," he then added slowly, "unless you're willing to test it."

"Is that wise?" I felt an eyebrow rise to match one of the Breton's.

"Probably not." Gaspar chuckled as he pushed his blue hood back, revealing a mane of gray hair that now rested on the collar of his robe. "If you asked my colleague, Borissean, he'd advise against it of course."

"He advises against everything," I replied.

"I see from that impish grin, that you don't put much stock in his cautionary counsel." Gaspar winked. "Neither do I."

"I do appreciate your help," I said. "I'm willing to test the spell, but I don't want to endanger you."

"Nonsense, Buffy. I'm as curious as you are. In my three score of years, I've never before had an opportunity to pick apart the spell of a Deadra Lord." He furrowed his brow while rubbing his chin for a moment. "Well first, we don't need to expose any bystanders." Without really looking at the door, he waved his hand in its general direction and released a small burst of magic. I heard the bolt slide home. He then effortlessly tossed an orange ball of energy up in the air before us. As a skeleton emerged, the wizard commanded, "Cast Stark Reality."

"Here goes," I said nervously. Forming Sanguine's mysterious magic in my hand, I released it into the summoned victim.

The skeleton merely flinched - as did I, feeling a tiny sliver of my health being drained. I quickly looked at Gaspar to see if he had been similarly affected.

It was quite a surprise to see the old Breton completely naked, and staring at me. Looking down, I realized my russet felt dress and slippers had also disappeared, rendering me equally bare. Not being known for my nimble thinking, it didn't occur that this might have been a really good time to cast an invisibility spell. Besides, I found the situation rather humorous.

After a moment, Gaspar gentlemanly averted his gaze and turned away, as a pink flush claimed his skin. He quickly retrieved a pair of apprentice robes from a nearby cupboard, and tossed one over his shoulder to me. The skeleton, who had appeared only mildly amused by the incident, chose that moment to grin as he evaporated.

As soon as we both donned the green bags, I said, "You can turn around now. I'd say that was quite the spell. Sanguine did promise Stark Reality would liven things up."

"I'm sorry, Buffy." Gaspar's face was quite reddened. "I certainly didn't expect that. At least no real harm was done. I guess I needed a new robe and hood anyway."

"Why Gaspar, your face is still red." Trying to make light of the situation, I placed my hands behind my back, leaned forward and coyly said, "Perhaps you should unlock the door before we become an item for rumors."

"You're right," he replied. My attempt at humor had fallen flat though. Gaspar did not return my smile; he simply tossed another spell at the door to unlock it. "For a young lady that has just had her clothes removed, you don't seem to share my embarrassment."

"Perhaps it's because I'm a wood elf." I shrugged. "Mother told me that from a very young age, she and Father had trouble keeping clothes on me. She teased that even my name came from the fact I was always running around 'in the buff'. This was especially true around water. Why, I was almost twelve before the red-faced protests of my archery master finally convinced me not to drop my clothes beside every stream to play in the water. I'm more discreet now I suppose, but I still find that waterfalls tend to make my clothes fall off."

Both Gaspar's eyebrows rose. "Well, I was raised differently than you young folks, I guess." His face had still not returned completely to its normal color, and it seemed I was not helping. Clearly, he had been quite a bit more affected by our intimate exposure than I.

"Gaspar, you've nothing to be embarrassed about," I said. "You didn't know this would happen." I then met his eyes with a meaningful look and added, "Besides, you're a fine looking man, with or without your clothes."

How much truth my words carried was unimportant. What mattered was that they did seem to make the old Breton feel more confident, as his normal aura of wisdom and authority seemed to reemerge. The corners of his eyes crinkled as he said, "And as a young adventuress, I suppose you've seen many men without their clothes?"

Smiling at the return of his teasing manner, I replied, "Actually, yes I have. Well, dead ones anyway. Boderi Farano used to send me out hunting two-legged varmints to practice the fighting skills she taught me when I was a student here. I was no stranger to pulling the armor off dead bandits so I could hone my repair skills."

I was pleased that my words, despite their somewhat morbid nature, elicited a chuckle from Gaspar. He then remarked, "Leave it to Boderi to enhance your lessons with more than what appears on the surface. Well, you just be careful with that spell, Buffy. The destruction component within it could be considered an assault."

"Yes," I replied, "that fact has not been lost on me." It seemed Sanguine's intent was to land his messenger in jail after embarrassing the Countess. I was hoping for different results. "Thank you so much for your help." I closed the distance to the Breton and kissed him on the cheek. "You're wonderful."

Gaspar puffed up slightly, as I had hoped. "Ahem, well, thank you, Apprentice. I hope you'll excuse me. I've got a class to teach." With that, he left and I was once again alone in the Praxographical Center.

Turning to my other purpose here, I looked at a nearby altar of spellmaking and contemplated the complexity of the new spell I hoped to create. Based on what Sigrid told me, I had added flame atronachs to my list of foes that were immune to poison. Some quick research at the Mystic Archives had verified my suspicion that atronachs of other types were similarly immune, just as I knew the undead were.

I relied heavily on poison to multiply my effectiveness, and wanted a way to safely counter immunity to it. I remembered the words of Boderi Farano from the time of my graduation:

"Your talent for destruction magic does not lie with the elements. Keep practicing until you can master weakness to poison and efficiently cast your new drain speed ability. Only then, will the beauty of destruction magic fully merge with your path."

I had heeded Boderi's words, and adopted the habit of practicing spellcasting most evenings before bed. My destruction practice had not focused on fire, ice and lightning; rather, I had strived to improve the very effects commended by Boderi.

With a smile, I activated the altar.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Dec 8 2010, 02:43 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 5 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #259

Ancient
Group Icon

After a moment, Gaspar gentlemanly averted his gaze and turned away,

SPEW !!!! What was he doing till then? GAAAAH !!!! ROFL !!!

Ode To Gaspar

Now that I am old and gray, and time is running out
What used to be my sex appeal, is now my water spout...

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 5 2010, 03:26 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Casper1984
post Dec 5 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #260

Retainer

"Patience?" I groused. "That's two four letter words stuck together! I hate being patient!"

You would prefer us to embrace a single four letter word, such as dead? I did not mismark your map.

Well countered. smile.gif

Oh, and some sweet rolls.

Saweeeeet roll happy.gif

"Insidiously hidden within its alteration magic is a destruction component of some sort."

Destruction of all clothes apart from under garments? tongue.gif

The skeleton, who had appeared only mildly amused by the incident

At least he was amused, albeit mildly. smile.gif

"Gaspar, you've nothing to be embarrassed about," I said. "You didn't know this would happen." I then met his eyes with a meaningful look and added, "Besides, you're a fine looking man, with or without your clothes."

"Thank you so much for your help." I closed the distance to the Breton and kissed him on the cheek. "You're wonderful."

I guess that means Savlian is out of her head for the moment. smile.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 04:19 PM