Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Nerf-Herders' Rest...(Or...It's A Trap!!...), A Star Wars discussion thread...
McBadgere
post May 16 2014, 08:30 AM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Here's the place to discuss anything to do with the Star Wars phenomenon...Whether it's the films, tv, books or even the soundtrack record... biggrin.gif ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As all Star Wars discussions always end up as a heated debate...I thought a couple of rules may be in order...Well, I say rules, I mean polite guidelines really...

1. No Blasters!!...

2. No Droids!! (Bots biggrin.gif )...

3. The person posting above or below you has as much right to their opinion - and their own love of whichever part of Star Wars - as you do...Be respectful of that...

4. Pointless slagging off is discouraged...If you don't like something, fine, that's to be expected...But please try to qualify your not liking with a half-decent reason...Answers like "Because he/she/they suck/It sucks" or that something is completely pointless because it is...Are not really decent reasons...

5. Remember that joy you had the first time you watched some Star Wars thing?...Just remember that there's a generational thing going on here...I remember when the original one came out and loved it...My kids love the newer trilogy...Others love the Clone Wars cartoons...There will be people joining at some point that will have fallen in love the new J.J. Abrams ones, them being the first ones they see...

It's all about being respectful is all... biggrin.gif ...

Ta...

-----------------------------------------------------------

As you were...I think we were debating the changing of the EU by Disney... biggrin.gif ...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 16 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 16 2014, 09:30 AM) *

As you were...I think we were debating the changing of the EU by Disney... biggrin.gif ...

What has the EU got to do with Star Wars..? huh.gif Feels like I missed something here tongue.gif

Anyway I only recognize the original movies. No talk about meth clouride or whatever count in the blood, it was just The Force™. A universal power surrounding and penetrating everything, from a living person to the rocks and trees. The movies had personality and charisma, and they were done without CGI fests and they still look convincingly awesome!!!

Just my opinion, naturally... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post May 16 2014, 09:13 AM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

[Ben Kenobi]
The Nerf Herder's Rest: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. wink.gif
[/Ben Kenobi]

Oh, come on, like I was going to pass up that smile.gif

QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 16 2014, 08:30 AM) *

2. No Droids!! (Bots biggrin.gif )

Meh, these aren't the droids I'm looking for anyway biggrin.gif

Or that

Anyways, with regards to EU and Disney: Disney and Lucas can go straight to Hel. Lucas can go on all he likes about the EU inhabiting a seperate universe or whatever, but the fact it given the choice between the EU and Lucas' Star Wars Universe, a lot of fans would pick the EU. Lucas spent too long ignoring Star Wars and profiting from all the licensed material to claim it's still his universe, when it's the dedicated fans buying all the EU material that kept the franchise alive.

The Star Wars Universe moved on, and Lucas' refusal to accept that is going to kill it. And selling out to Disney is the equivalent of Lucas building his own personal Death Star...

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: May 16 2014, 09:14 AM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 16 2014, 09:34 AM
Post #4

Spam Meister
Group Icon

What has EU got to do with Star Wars???? wacko.gif wacko.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post May 16 2014, 10:08 AM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ May 16 2014, 09:34 AM) *

The Expanded Universe. All the books, games, comics and stuff that have been produced.

--------------------
+Quote Post
stargelman
post May 16 2014, 11:40 AM
Post #6

Senor Snore
Group Icon

The only good Star Wars related news lately was that Bioware can continue to make Star Wars games.

Everything else? Bantha poodoo.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post May 16 2014, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

Heehee, this thread now has it's own theme song

QUOTE(stargelman @ May 16 2014, 11:40 AM) *

The only good Star Wars related news lately was that Bioware can continue to make Star Wars games.

Considering what's happened to Bioware since it got bought by EA, I wouldn't call that good news... sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 16 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(stargelman @ May 16 2014, 11:40 AM) *

*Does happy dance*...

The Admin™ said Bantha Poodoo!!... biggrin.gif ...

I do not have any Star Wars games except the original Force Unleashed...I'd wanted the full version, but was bought the cheaper one for my birthday...I quite enjoyed it for the most part...

I never went near the second one though...

The novel to the first was good, too...

I bought a huge amount of the novels, down the years...It used to be a wonderful thing to go into W.H. Smiths and find a new one was out...Ahhhh*sighs happily*...

Then came the New Jedi Order and the Vong-war and I just turned off it...I still bought a goodly few, but with little interest, really...The Allston/Traviss/Denning Legacy novels were excellent, right up until the point that Denning ruined all the stuff that Traviss had been setting up with the Mandalorians through the series...

*Sigh*...

And then the Clone Wars cartoon retconned the whole of the recenly written history so far, out of existence...

Hey-ho...

I agree that a lot of other peoples' work made the Star Wars universe, and what it is today...

Oh, God bless Aaron Allston...He was my favourite SW novelist and he died the other month... sad.gif ...Shame that...I must read his last one very soon...
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 16 2014, 02:41 PM
Post #9

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I really like how THE FIRST MOVIE IN THE SERIES mad.gif viking.gif (heeeh... biggrin.gif) starts off with Vader storming in like that. It gives a sense of a story having been told for a long time and we have just entered it to tag along till the end. I like how weīre not seeing how itīs all being built up but rather itīs all there right from the start and the characters, some of them anyway, already know each other since many years.

It couldnīt have gotten a better start imo smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
stargelman
post May 16 2014, 02:46 PM
Post #10

Senor Snore
Group Icon

I quite enjoyed SW:TOR, and I played lots of other Starwars games:

- KOTOR & KOTOR 2 are super duper RPGs
- X-Wing & TIE Fighter were the shit when it came to space combat sim
- Jedi Knight, JK: Outcast and JK: Academy were super light saber fighting games
- Dark Forces was a super shooter

There were others I played, like Pod Racer, Battlefront and Rebel Assault. They were fun for a while but not like the others mentioned.

I couldn't even play Force Unleashed, it would just crash right after starting. From what I read pretty much everywhere, this was a common problem and you belong to some 1% club if you ever get to run even once. Oh well, I got it for like 7 bucks, so...

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 16 2014, 02:48 PM
Post #11

Spam Meister
Group Icon

The only Star Wars game Iīve played is Rebellion and I was soooo hooked on it around the early 2000s. I must have played it hundreds of times through... tongue.gif

Apparently it got bashed alot but I enjoyed the crap out of it and I really think itīs a good strategy game smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 16 2014, 03:24 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 16 2014, 03:30 AM) *
Others love the Clone Wars cartoons...

Cartoons! Cartoons! They are Anime you Western barbarian! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 16 2014, 03:30 AM) *

It's all about being respectful is all... biggrin.gif ...

Oh, well, so much for what I just said! laugh.gif

QUOTE(mirocu @ May 16 2014, 04:34 AM) *

Wasn't the European Union founded by Jedi Knights?

QUOTE(stargelman @ May 16 2014, 09:46 AM) *

I quite enjoyed SW:TOR, and I played lots of other Starwars games:

- X-Wing & TIE Fighter were the [censored] when it came to space combat sim
- Jedi Knight, JK: Outcast and JK: Academy were super light saber fighting games
- Dark Forces was a super shooter

There were others I played, like Pod Racer, Battlefront and Rebel Assault. They were fun for a while but not like the others mentioned.

I am a big fan of all the old Star Wars games like the Kotor and X-Wing/Tie Fighter games. I remember when Dark Forces first came out, and I loved it too. Same with the first couple of Jedi Knight games. Those were all really good games. They are dated now, but I still highly recommend them to anyone. Plus if you can find them, they are probably dirt cheap nowadays!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 16 2014, 03:31 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post May 16 2014, 03:26 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(stargelman @ May 16 2014, 02:46 PM) *

Could not agree more, if only they'd made a third.sad.gif

- X-Wing & TIE Fighter were the [censored] when it came to space combat sim

Hell yes they were. Though some of those missins were just brutal laugh.gif

Again, could not agree more. I've still got Jedi Academy, though it doesn't run so well on the 360 sad.gif

Battlefront I loved, though I thought the second one was a real let-down. The Gamecube games, the Rogue Squadron ones, were pretty damn good. The second one, Rogue Leader, was fantastic. I don't think I played any of the other ones, I refused to go anywhere near The Force Unleashed or any of the games based off of the prequels.

Unfortunately overall Star Wars games tneded to be pretty hit and miss sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 16 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(The outraged Subrosa)
Cartoons! Cartoons! They are Anime you Western barbarian! biggrin.gif

I have no idea what you mean... tongue.gif ...

Barbarian?!...Moi?!...*Proceeds to excavate nose with point of dagger with one hand whilst scratching his crotch with the other*...

So yeah...Seeing all this stuff about the day 1 of shooting the new one...And that pic of Harrison Ford has actually got me somewhat excited y'know?...Sorry, I know...Heathen and all that...But I'm gonna be the excited one here, if you don't mind... biggrin.gif ...

Just in the interest of balance, you understand... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post May 16 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

Clone Wars aren't anime.

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 16 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

Uh-oh...

Respect darlings!...Respect!...

Why don't you think they're Anime, Impy?...

The entire Clone Wars saga is one long story told over four or five seasons, wasn't it?...That's basically qualified for an anime saga series thing right there... biggrin.gif ...

I liked the design for that series, I just couldn't get into it...Maybe if I bought a complete boxed set, I might have better luck...I do so like me Kenobi stuff... biggrin.gif ...

OOoooh, that's a novel I'll be getting soon...*Goes to search Amazon*...
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post May 16 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ May 16 2014, 02:41 PM) *

I really like how THE FIRST MOVIE IN THE SERIES mad.gif viking.gif (heeeh... biggrin.gif) starts off with Vader storming in like that. It gives a sense of a story having been told for a long time and we have just entered it to tag along till the end. I like how weīre not seeing how itīs all being built up but rather itīs all there right from the start and the characters, some of them anyway, already know each other since many years.

It couldnīt have gotten a better start imo smile.gif

I'm inclined to agree.

I must get around to watching the films again, I've got them on video though, so it's slightly inconvenient...

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 16 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

I can see where some people would consider it Western Animation (though aren't most Western Animation shows like the Simpsons actually made in Korea?). It is made for an American audience, the original spoken language is English rather than Japanese, and the characters do not have the big huge eyes and small mouths so common in anime.

I still think of it as anime because it is animated, and is chock full of ridiculously over the top anime-style action: gravity defying leaps, super speed, and the like. Plus of course the show is at least partly made in Asia. It is cgi-driven rather than hand-drawn, but a lot of anime these days is either partly or fully cgi as well, so I do not think that means much either way.

On the topic of the tone of the original 3 movies vs. the following stuff from the European Union, I can see McB's point. The original saga has a very simple story of good vs. evil, with very black and white morality, and of course the good guys win without having to compromise their beliefs along the way (though Yoda tries to get Luke to do that in the second movie of course, but it does not work and he goes into the trap anyway).

I think that simplicity is a big reason for the first movie's success. It came out a few years after Vietnam, and that moral simplicity was a welcome change after years of gut-wrenching ambiguity in RL. I am sure the EU writers are trying to interject more realism into the setting by creating moral ambiguity. After all Real Life is not so cut and dried as things are in the original Star Wars film. Is that better or worse? I suppose it is a matter of opinion. It depends on what you are looking for in Star Wars.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 16 2014, 10:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 17 2014, 04:43 AM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 16 2014, 10:03 PM) *

On the topic of the tone of the original 3 movies vs. the following stuff from the European Union, I can see McB's point. The original saga has a very simple story of good vs. evil, with very black and white morality, and of course the good guys win without having to compromise their beliefs along the way (though Yoda tries to get Luke to do that in the second movie of course, but it does not work and he goes into the trap anyway).

I think that simplicity is a big reason for the first movie's success. It came out a few years after Vietnam, and that moral simplicity was a welcome change after years of gut-wrenching ambiguity in RL. I am sure the EU writers are trying to interject more realism into the setting by creating moral ambiguity. After all Real Life is not so cut and dried as things are in the original Star Wars film. Is that better or worse? I suppose it is a matter of opinion. It depends on what you are looking for in Star Wars.

Good point...That is one thing I absolutely loved about the Bantam series of novels...These were the ones that I bought without even looking at the back cover sometimes... biggrin.gif ...I knew that I was going to get a damned good action packed excellent story (in the majority of cases) in which the Heroes™ win and all is well...If a secondary character bought it, well...That is to be expected...But the Heroes™ will emerge unscathed to fight another day...

The X-Wing novels were the exception to this...Where the majority of characters - Wedge Antillies aside - could just be bumped off with no warning...And that was also fine...It was a shame in some cases...But they were fighter pilots, it happened...

But for the main sequence of novels it was Han. Luke, Leia, the kids, Chewie, Lando etc...And we could be happy in the knowledge that they may get their arses handed to them at some point, but we knew all would be well in the end...

Unfortunately...For some reason, it was decided that a little more gritty reality had to be injected into our escapist fantasies...And right from the very first novel I bought of the New Jedi Order storyline, I knew I was in trouble with SW...I had very little interest in the series at all...And it wasn't until the later novels that I actually got any real enjoyment...Sure, it had Aaron Allston's excellent pair that is 100% responsible for my obsession with -Boy names now...Michael Stackpole's were good and it was the books that introduced me to Greg Keyes...But, like I said on the Everything Thread...There was just far too much darkness in the storyline for me...

In the end even Lucasbooks had to admit they had gone too far with it...

I've never gotten back to the previous level of excitement about any of the later novels...As I always figured there'd be something else to bite me just around the corner...

Aaaand I got it with Jacen Solo...Megalomania?...Yup...Force manipulation of your cousin's (Ben Skywalker, Luke's son) brain?...Oh yeah...Killing Mara Jade, Ben's mother and Luke's wife, because she's figured you out?...Oh yeah...That was soooo great, right there...

And then one novelists complete disrespect of what another's been building to throughout the series?...Including two books you've already done, Denning?... mad.gif ...

*Sigh*...

There is a place for Black & White in these novels...I am NOT opposed to shades of grey, despite what people think...I know I'm all for the good and all that...But I just think that when something is as obviously straightforward as Star Wars is on screen, in terms of Good™ Vs Evil™, then pushing it into adult pseudo-reality fiction is just too much...

It's a shame, I really did love them for a good while...

So now I obsessively buy novels about Space Marines shooting the crap out of each other and Daemons... laugh.gif ...Much more straightforward... biggrin.gif ...You know what you're going to get, and they don't disappoint...

EDITIO!!!...

I couldn't even play Force Unleashed, it would just crash right after starting. From what I read pretty much everywhere, this was a common problem and you belong to some 1% club if you ever get to run even once. Oh well, I got it for like 7 bucks, so...

That's just weird...I never had any problem at all with it loading...Was the problem only the PC versions?...I'm PS3 is all...McBoy played it fairly recently - on the newer one we had to buy after the original one (the one I played it on) got the yellow ring of death - and did excellently himself...I'm pretty sure he was most of the way through before he got distracted...Which means it must have been half decent...He has a habit of jumping games... biggrin.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: May 17 2014, 04:55 AM
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post May 17 2014, 09:46 AM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

Black and white morality? huh.gif

You mean the films that culminate in Luke giving in to his anger and pretty much going darkside to beat Vader into the ground and chop off his hand(revenge!), and then goes on to show Vader wasn't actually completely evil, and chose to save his son and kill the Emperor?

Sure, the rebellion versus the Empire might be considered black and white, but the force oriented side of it wasn't.

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:51 AM