4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serene of Cyrodiil, her true story, chapter 1
minque
post Feb 26 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok so at last I came round to do it.....posting my story that is! I must thank all of you who have encouraged me to do it (oh yes you know who you are!)

Special thanks to Treydog who has helped me with editing and also for being a sounding-board, and thus kept me writing.

I now start with the prologue of my story just to see if you think you like it and want to read more

Enjoy!

Dedication

This work is dedicated to Treydog, whose enthusiasm encouraged me to really write this story.

Prologue.

Alone at last, I close the door behind me as I enter the small room which serves as my private library. I’m proud to say that I probably have the most complete collection of books in Vvardenfell these days, though it has taken me the last seven years to get it.

As I tucked my daughter into bed a while ago, I decided that now the time had come to write down my story. Mostly for her sake, but also for me; I need to get it off my mind, in order to continue with my life and to be able to fulfill the tasks that lie before me. Then there are the numerous questions asked by the little girl lying in the next room, unaware of the fact that she’s a miracle of the Age. . Questions about why there are so few children around and why they all seem to be nearly the same age, that is, age 5 and lower. Questions about why everyone she meets looks at me, her mother, with admiration and respect. Questions about why there is a non-ending row of visitors who want to see me and so keep me from being with her, like a normal mother would be.

I know the answers to her questions, but providing those answers means I will have to tell her the whole story, the story about me, Serene of Cyrodiil, a legionnaire’s daughter of uncertain heritage, who has become one of the most powerful and famous people in Vvardenfell….

So there it is......feel free to comment, it´s a short one I know but I have to start somehow.....

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
General Edor Crespin
post Feb 27 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #2

Retainer

It's rather short, but I am looking forward to seeing why there aren't any children! smile.gif

--------------------
--In Memory of H. Beam Piper
November 9, 1964
IN THE WAKE OF [b]FEDERATION!
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 27 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #3

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(General Edor Crespin)
It's rather short, but I am looking forward to seeing why there aren't any children! smile.gif

oh aye.....you will be aware of that......later...much later... :paperbag:

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Alexander
post Feb 27 2005, 01:54 AM
Post #4

Wizard
Group Icon

well I've said it before minque. excellent work :goodjob:
+Quote Post
OverrideB1
post Feb 27 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #5

Finder
Group Icon

And you were worried about posting this... why?

An excellent style, and an intriguing prologue ~ what more could we ask for. I look forward to seeing more...

--------------------
Food, Slave, Telvanni ~ Take your pick.
The Coalition of Evil Geniuses: Overlord of Boom
+Quote Post
Elongar
post Feb 27 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #6

Finder
Group Icon

It's not that hard after all, is it? I'm not sure whether to congratulate you on your courage or on your writing style. I'll just do both! biggrin.gif

Well done, I'm hoping to see a lot more soon!

--------------------
Power of the Shadow made human flesh,
wakened to turmoil, strife and ruin.
The Reborn One, marked and bleeding,
dances the sword in dreams and mist,
chains the Shadowsworn to his will,
from the city, lost and forsaken,
leads the spears to war once more,
breaks the spears and makes them see,
truth long hidden in the ancient dream.
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 27 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #7

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Thank you all for your kind comments....I´ll soon post the first part, and I promise, it will be quite a bit longer than the prologue.... wink.gif

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 27 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

After much anticipation, we finally get to see the beginning of the next great MW fan fiction. A grand beginning, promising much more to come.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Feb 27 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

great job minque to bad i didn't see this earlyer. i agree with OverrideB1, you were worried to post this why? this is a great start.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 27 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #10

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok so here you are then.....the first part about Serene of Cyrodiil.......

Chapter 1 Cyrodiil

Part 1

The day that changed my life forever, was indeed meant to change it…..but not in the way it did……..

I was standing in front of the big mirror in my dressing-room, merely appreciating the sight….I probably would have a good time at the grand feast my parents were holding for me, to celebrate my 16th birthday. That day was today and I was waiting for my mother to come and help me with my hair. She wasn’t eager to let Ranya, my dunmer maid, perform this delicate task, knowing that the devoted girl would listen too closely to my suggestions of how my long, auburn hair should be arranged.

The festivities also had another purpose- a lot of young, promising legionnaires were invited, all eager to marry the daughter of the great General in the Imperial Legion, Rufus Vantinius, my beloved father. So finding a suitable husband for me was one of today’s missions for my parents.

I slowly turned around, watching my exquisite skirt whirl around the waist; it was a lovely creation in dark gold-beige and amethyst-blue, embroidered with pearls around the lining. With that I wore a tight semi-transparent blouse in beige which revealed a lot more of me than my mother would be satisfied with. But since I was old enough to be the object of the “marriage-open-market” why not tease the hunters a bit?

I knew my mother would want me to put on the beautiful robe which she inherited from her mother, and which now was given to me. In fact it was a great piece of handicraft; my grandmother made it for her wedding….ages ago, from thick heavy wool, in a dark red colour with thick grey wolf-fur on the hood and lining. My grandmother, Reidun Ingjaldsdottír, was born and raised in Falcreath in the province of Skyrim, being originally of Nordic heritage, and that’s where the fur came from. My grandfather got her as a reward for saving her father’s life in a fight there.

At first Reidun resented her master and “owner,” Larrius Macrinius, captain in the Legion. But afterwards they settled down in Falcreath, so Reidun in fact not was driven from her native lands, she started to like him and soon even love him. Their marriage was a great celebration with a huge mass of food and drink, and Reidun had made the famous robe just for the occasion to protect her both from the everlasting coldness of Skyrim and also from the lustful eyes of the drunken male wedding guests.

Shortly after their marriage they set off for The Imperial City, where Larrius rapidly advanced in his career with the Legion. My mother, Larissa, and her twin-brother, Larrius II, were born short after my grandfather became General.

“Serene! Are you out of your mind? Just standing there dreaming and admiring yourself! We are short of time as it is, and you are far from being presentable!”

My mother’s sharp voice abruptly awakened me from my daydreams, and I sighed and sat down on the little pallet in front of the mirror. Mother Larissa started to brush my hair with a ferocity coming from her nervousness at not having full control of the situation (as she usually had!)

I sat calmly and stared right into the mirror, watched my mother’s face and appearance, and noticed that I certainly hadn’t gotten my looks from her….She was a short sturdy woman, round-faced, with dark blonde hair in a fancy arrangement, her brown eyes peering sternly at me…..BROWN EYES!!

I jumped to my feet when I discovered the fact that my mother’s eyes were brown, a fact I hadn’t given one thought about before…It couldn’t be!!! It was impossible- mine were dark blue with a touch of amethyst-violet, like my father’s. Well, his were more bright blue, but …..I had just learned about genetics at the Lyceum for better-off Imperial young women, and one thing was made crystal-clear, there’s only 50% chance that an offspring from one brown-eyed and one blue-eyed parent can get blue eyes…..then add the fact that I didn’t resemble my mother at all; I was tall, thin and my face was slim and delicate with pointed cheek-bones….There was something really fishy going on……..

“How come I have blue eyes when yours are brown?” I screamed as I stood before my mother, trembling with a strange terror. I so wanted her to ease me and explain that I really WAS one of that 50% that could get blue eyes. My heart sank when I saw her reaction to my outrage..

Larissa Vantinius went pale and sat down heavily on my bed, her hands covering her face, tears running down her cheeks.

“Oh, Renie, darling,” she sobbed, “I was hoping you’d never find out!”

“Find out what?” My voice was sharp and I was shaking in earnest by now, tears burning behind my eye-lids as I felt the ground beneath my feet fade away.

My mother wiped her face and composed herself, straightened her back and started telling me who I really was

”Serene, you might as well be told the truth now, there’ll be no better opportunity….”

“It was a chilly morning, 16 years ago, 27 First Seed.” Larissa started. “I couldn’t sleep so I went down to the grand living room to drink a glass of cyrodiilic brandy, you know I usually do that, don’t you?”

I nodded and she continued – “Then I thought I’d go outside for a while to get a breath of fresh air. When I opened the front door I almost stumbled over a worn, open chest that was right in front of me on the staircase.” Larissa’s eyes filled with tears again and she was silent…. I began to feel a chill down my back, and sweat was beading on my brow and under my arms, as I forced my mother to continue her gruesome story.

“When I looked down I saw a little baby-girl lying in the chest, all naked with just an old dirty piece of cloth wrapped around her legs. The baby looked dead and there was a note pinned to the cloth.”

I consider myself be an intelligent girl with a lot of imagination, so by now I was aware what my mother was getting at! This indeed was a nightmare; I couldn’t hold back anymore, a flood of tears ran down my face, and I cried out my rage and fear, whilst my mother gently massaged my shoulders

“Yes Renie, that baby-girl was you! The note on the cloth said: ‘You have to look after her for I cannot. She belongs to this house and I have named her Serene, she was born 6 days ago’….and that was it! No more information….So what could I do?” Larissa continued, “I took you inside and tried to warm you up, then you opened your wonderful amethyst-blue eyes and just looked at me with a serenity that amazed me…..No wonder your biological mother named you the way she did!”

“But then again, a 6-day-old baby needs breast-feeding, and where could I find someone who just had a baby?”

“You certainly cried out your urge for some nourishment,” Larissa smiled. “Then I remembered that one of the kitchen-maids recently had a baby, but I didn’t remember actually seeing the child. I went to the servants’ house and asked around. By now most of the staff were awake and very curious about the noise from the main building.”

“Oh Mistress Larissa, a baby-girl! Two or three of the young kitchen-maids were hanging around me and tried to calm you down, ‘She’s hungry I bet,’ Aantje, one of the more clever maids stated, ‘why Marthona just lost her son, maybe she can help, she’s crying over her spilled milk….’”

“ I hesitated at first,” Larissa sighed, “Marthona indeed was one of our most valuable servants; she was a magician and healer, BUT she also was an Altmer! And you Renie, were not, you were definitely of cyrodiilic heritage. I wasn’t so keen on letting a woman of another race feed you- one never knows how that can end up!”

“But there was no choice, either Marthona was to feed you or you would just die!”

By now I was listening to my mother’s story with a cold empty feeling in my stomach; I didn’t cry anymore, but my nose was running and my blouse was soaked with sweat and I certainly wasn’t in the mood for a birthday celebration anymore….. Or for dating some high-bred would-be cyrodiil Legionnaire.

But then again, I realized that I always had been interested in plants and herbs and what can be made from them; I also remembered that I always had a good hand with injured animals……..and last but not least, I always had and still have very warm feelings towards Marthona. Maybe some Altmer-magic went through the breast-tissue-barrier and into the milk I drank……?

“Did you ever learn who left me on the stairs?” I asked solemnly.

“No I didn’t…..but coincidentally, your grandmother, that’s on your father’s side, lost a parlour-maid at that time. That’s odd but I wouldn’t assume that this girl is, or was your real mother.”

My father the General entered the room, his face red with anger- well, of course; the guests had arrived and none of his family had come down to welcome all the mighty officers and their wives and children

“WHAT are you doing up here?” he shouted. “SERENE! Just look at you, there will be NO marriage-proposals for you, if you don’t straighten yourself up…And for the sake of Zenithar, take off that ghastly blouse! It’s all wet and you show so much of yourself that you can as well come down naked!…Besides…You SMELL!!”

“Rufus dear,” my mother said in a low voice, “she had to be told the truth about her uncertain roots”…..she bowed her head down and waited for the thunderstorm to break out!

Then I instinctively knew my father was having a heart-attack; his face went bluish-red, his eyes were on fire and he gasped desperately for his breath.

“RUFUS!” My mother screamed as her husband fell down on the thick red carpet, “Rufus! Talk to me! HELP! Serene, call for a healer, call for anything!!!”

I did nothing of the sort; an ice-cold cloud came over me and I just knelt at my father’s side and put my hands gently on his chest. I could feel his heart beating far to irregularly and his lungs struggling for air.

As I closed my eyes and concentrated on the desperate heart, I could feel the clot that hindered the blood from flowing in one of the coronary arteries….I trembled, this I’d never done before, at least not on a human being, and certainly not on one so close to me… I felt waves of energy floating from me to him; it was exhausting, sweat was running down my back, from my armpits and between my breasts…..I was forcing the clot to dissolve to let the blood-stream free again, it was slowly getting softer. Suddenly my fingers felt a tremble deep inside his chest …….

“Rufus!” Larissa whispered, “Oh Renie, he’s coming back to us,” she sobbed quietly and bent over him, covering his face with light kisses.

I rose and looked at his face; it was its normal dark-reddish again, the colour of too much cyrodiilic Brandy and too much crab-meat-stew with fried ash- yam…..and no exercise whatsoever, unless you count the few steps to “Semirama´s Hanging Gardens,” the legionnaires’ playground-of the-year. Well, in fact, it’s a decent restaurant mostly, but when invaded by legionnaires off-duty it becomes Oblivion’s kitchen, too much booze and fatty food…

My mother and most of the guests now were occupied by helping Father to his bedroom, so I decided that it was time for me to stand on my own feet. I tore off my soaked, smelly clothes, went into the wash room and poured a bucket of water over myself, and immediately I felt better- amazing what a little hygiene does !!

I found some common skirts and blouses in Ranya´s closet, and left a note telling her that she could take whatever she wanted in my closet, then packed a leather satchel with one set of her clothing, and put on the other. The last thing I did was to pack the gorgeous red robe and off I went…..without looking back.

I now had paid for the care that was given to me by saving my father’s life, at least that was what I chose to think as I was walking through the streets of The Imperial City, hoping none of the patrolling legionnaires should stop me and ask what General Vantinius´s little Renie was doing alone walking the streets in the middle of the night.

I was extremely tired and wanted more than ever to lie down for a bit…..but that kind of behaviour was not allowed in the City, not even in parks, on benches! There are stories about people being arrested for sleeping in parks, or even picking flowers there…..

Coming out from the City into the beautiful Nibenay Valley I felt at ease for the first time since morning. I knew the valley like my own pocket. Marthona went there every day to collect medical herbs and plants and practise different magic skills and I followed her, although my parents (or whatever I’ll call them from now on) did not approve. So I had to sneak out every time…..which made me extremely skilled in sneaking, an ability that might be called the “Rise and Fall of Serene Vantinius.”

Serene 16 years

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/minque/Serene%20chapter%201/FacingSerene.jpg[/img]

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 27 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #11

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Just want to show some more pictures of Serene...

At home

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/minque/Serene%20chapter%201/SereneathomeVantiniusManor.jpg[/img]

Walking along Nibenay Valley

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/minque/Serene%20chapter%201/WalkingalongNibenayRiver.jpg[/img]

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Alexander
post Feb 27 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #12

Wizard
Group Icon

excellent work minque. really off to a great start here biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post Feb 28 2005, 01:40 AM
Post #13

Unregistered

Good job. I liked it. Keep it up.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Feb 28 2005, 02:37 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

way to go Minque! one question though, she whent off because she found out it wasn't her real parents?

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 28 2005, 02:40 AM
Post #15

Wise Woman
Group Icon

yes..she was ..her life was totally upside down and she felt that she did not belong in that home anymore all she stood for was altered....maybe not the wisest decision but still that was what she did.....

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Feb 28 2005, 04:27 AM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

oh well like i said, and everyone else that posted, great job.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 28 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

One of the things I really enjoy about this story is that we get to see the main character many years "before Morrowind." Because we see her just at the moment when her life changes unexpectedly, we will be able to understand her motivations and actions when she does reach Vvardenfell.

Hope to see this on the "other" Forums, too. :goodjob:
+Quote Post
OverrideB1
post Feb 28 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #18

Finder
Group Icon

Like Treydog, I think it's great that you're giving us this background on Serene ~ it always helps to 'flesh' a character out.

Knowing that English isn't your mother tongue, I understand why you were 'concerned' about publishing this ~ but you needn't have worried. It's excellent. I look forward to seeing more...

--------------------
Food, Slave, Telvanni ~ Take your pick.
The Coalition of Evil Geniuses: Overlord of Boom
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Feb 28 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

hey minque i wanted to ask this yesterday but forgot, have you read any books by Mercedes Lackey?

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 28 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #20

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ehh noo I cant say I did..in fact I do not even know that author, can you enlighten me a bit

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:08 PM