Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arena Adventurings and Daggerfall Dealings, A Characters Update thread
Renee
post Oct 31 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #421

Master
Group Icon

Aw, I miss that beautiful square snow.

I might get into some Arena at some point, just to mess around. I dunno why, but Daggerfall never really captured my soul yet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 3 2017, 01:03 AM
Post #422

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 31 2017, 06:54 AM) *

Aw, I miss that beautiful square snow.

I might get into some Arena at some point, just to mess around. I dunno why, but Daggerfall never really captured my soul yet.

With Daggerfall, it seems to me that a love of labyrinthial dungeon crawls and progressing through the various "guilds" (Fighters, Mages, a Temple, a Knightly order, one of more of the "evil" guilds if you swing that way) are a big plus to enjoying the game. I love both, so DF is almost made to order for me.

(Those same labyrinthial dungeons transported into Oblivion & Skyrim would be too unrealistic, but DF is not an overly visual realistic game, imo.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 4 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #423

Finder
Group Icon

Daggerfall has a particularly unique charm about it that makes me love it both despite and because of its flaws. It's hard to explain, but it's some befuddling combination of conflicting feelings. It's fun yet frustrating at times. Some things were great ideas, and some are incredibly half-baked (and many times the great ideas are even half-baked). Some mechanics worked well and some make me question, "Why would somebody do that?" Yet for all of its flaws, I can't help but love the game. It's got its own unique personality that I haven't seen any other game quite match.

I think it's incredibly impressive what Bethesda got out with such a short development cycle with the technology they had, but it's kind of a shame that we will never get to see what the game could have been had it had sufficient time to be made.

Poor ol' Arena always gets dismissed, so it's cool to see people here give it some love. I know it's relatively bare-bones to the other main titles in many ways, but being the progenitor of the series I think it deserves more credit and acknowledgement.

--------------------
"I so do love mortal fantasy. I'll play along: what will you give me for the soul of Prince A'Tor?"
"I'll spell your name right on your tombstone."
-Cyrus facing Nafaalilargus, The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 5 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #424

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 4 2017, 10:31 AM) *

Daggerfall has a particularly unique charm about it that makes me love it both despite and because of its flaws. It's hard to explain,

Oh you don't have to explain. I do know what you mean. It's the reason I balk at the idea of remastering old games. In my opinion, there goes the charm part. sad.gif

It'll be one of those times when I get sick perhaps, and I'm in bed for several days. I'll fire up Daggerfall as I'm starting to feel better. Next thin you know, I can't put my controller down for hours .... days ... WEEKS ... Ahh! panic.gif

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 5 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #425

Ancient
Group Icon

For all my love and gaming time with Oblivion, Arena still has a huge charm to it. Every dungeon reeks of atmosphere and it's easy to get paranoid and feel like something is following you. I also like the towns, especially those in Skyrim when it's snowing. Best Christmas feeling evah! biggrin.gif

--------------------
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 5 2017, 03:09 PM
Post #426

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 5 2017, 03:48 AM) *

I also like the towns, especially those in Skyrim when it's snowing. Best Christmas feeling evah! biggrin.gif

Totally. I think if I pick up Arena again, I'm going to go the total opposite direction than a Spellsword in Skyrim. Maybe I'll roll a Thief in Elsweyr. Or an Archer from Valenwood. Because that's one of the things Arena has which Daggerfall really doesn't so far: each province has a different feel to it. Different weather. Different architecture. Different people, and different styles of dress.

All the buildings are the same in Daggerfall, and so are all the people, and the way they dress. This seems like a small detail, but for me, it adds to the exploration part if stuff changes as we travel around. I'm not saying DF doesn't offer tons of other stuff not present in the first game, I'm just saying (for me) that aspect of Arena is one of the things that hooked me early on.

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 5 2017, 03:13 PM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 9 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #427

Ancient
Group Icon

Moseying around Dunstad Grove waiting for evening/night to set in so hunting can commence. Takes a while though as I started this round in the morning, but it's at least afternoon now.

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 20 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #428

Ancient
Group Icon

Afternoon turned to evening and thus the people went inside their homes and monsters took over Dunstad Grove. Well, bandits really. My character was attacked by a few Thieves and a Spellsword who kindly filled up Thor's Magicka reservoir. He was properly thanked with a fencing lesson but I don't think he'll turn up for a follow-up.. biggrin.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post

22 Pages V « < 20 21 22
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 06:34 AM