12 Pages V « < 10 11 12  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Lost Knife Playground
Darkness Eternal
post Feb 12 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #221

Master
Group Icon

Influencing politics with magic and the arcane. Kayla's comment on the College of Synod brought her back to when she worked for a man named Draken Decumus of the Imperial Palace. A known spellcaster, a bit of a mystic, and unbeknown to most, a vampire dressing as a mortal. With what she's seen in his office, she didn't want to imagine how long he's been playing that game. Everything was organized, covert and clandestine. She was glad not to be part of that world, as much as it tried to affect her.

The wilderness is bad enough.

The conversation went on about necromancy and other things but Vera kept mostly quiet until Darnand looked up at the shadowing sky and said, "I suppose we should stand watch. What do you think is most likely to attack us during the night?”

Vera tossed a bone into the flames. "Me. If you guys snore during your sleep." There was just a hint of a tease in her voice. But only a bit.

She got to her feet, brushed off the scraps of food on her lap, and looked out into the horizon. "You can get some shut eye. I'll stand watch."

She didn't doubt the mages ability to keep watch, or Kayla's. Hell, she didn't even doubt Aravi's, as she was a khajiit and a lycanthrope. But Vera never got much sleep anyways, and she liked to think and watch things.

"Trolls. Sabrecats. Wolves, maybe."

She would mention werebears, but they were driven away by the werewolves. Bastard's are taking up residence in Solstheim. She didn't think one would stumble here, but there was always that small possibility.

"Vampires," Vera said. "Sadists, rapists, cultists. You'll find just about everything at night here."

The list went on. But she really didn't think anything would come by, and if it did, it would either be cats or wolves or trolls. The other specimens were too spread-apart and localized in other areas of Skyrim.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 13 2014, 12:15 AM
Post #222

Ancient
Group Icon

The fact that Darnand knew about Necromancy in such detail that he could distinguish between two types made Kayla uncomfortable. Maybe it was that, coupled with Aravi's indirect, and most likely unintentional, accusation that someone in the came was already thinking blush-worthy thoughts about Darnand. She wouldn't lie to herself (though she'd lie to the others, for sure) that the mage with them was certainly attractive to her by the sheer knowledge he possessed. Were he a bit better at socializing, or at least aware that she was indeed a female, she'd make a better move towards him. Much better than the vague attempt she had made back at the inn.

She ran a hand through her shoulder-length auburn hair and sighed. "Vera's right, anything can happen out here, but I highly doubt anything will. With two werewolves in our midst, not much with a keen sense of smell will really dare to do much. The most we'd have to worry about, at least tonight, will be keeping the fire going."

She blew a lock of hair out of her eyes. "And maybe a few bandits." She poked the fire. "Maybe a dragon." She laughed. "We're gonna be fine."

Tonight while everyone's sleeping, I'll be thinking about Onmund. I wonder if wolves can smell when someone's aroused. She felt even more uncomfortable at the thought. Maybe not tonight. I've waited four years before ever relieving myself of stress. I can wait a few months.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 13 2014, 06:35 AM
Post #223

Master
Group Icon

Darnand reported that they had gotten more than they needed to proceed. Aravi was relieved. After everything that happened this time… she wasn’t very eager to go again anytime soon.

“Yes, please do deliver the gems for me. If I am going to Winterhold, then it would be best to start from here than to go to Cyrodiil and back.”

Aravi knew Darnand had some knowledge of necromancy. With someone else, she might have felt uncomfortable with the depth of knowledge he displayed.

Darnand then suggested someone stand watch. Vera volunteered. Again, Aravi was relieved. She was close to collapsing as it was. If she kept watch, she would be in for a long, hard night.

Vera seemed to have boundless energy after her transformation, as if it rejuvenated her. She might have even been in a good mood, if that was possible.

Aravi was sore and tired, she felt like she had been in battle all day. She assumed this was normal for a werewolf, until she saw Vera. Now she felt that there was something off with her.

Then again, she embraces it. I push it away until I can no longer stand it.

Today’s fight should keep it under control for a long while… maybe even a few months if she was lucky…

She agreed with Kayla about the likelihood of encountering something in the night. “I’ve passed through this area before,” she gestured in the direction of the road. “It’s relatively quiet.”

She got up from her spot and got her bedding. She spread it out on the ground near the fire and crawled inside. Fatigue tugged at her, but bhe remained awake and looked at the stars for a while. She saw the sign of the Lord in the stars. Her sign.

"Do you watch the stars?" she asked the group.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Feb 13 2014, 05:56 PM

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 13 2014, 07:10 PM
Post #224

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla followed Aravi's lead and prepared for bed. She slid between the covers of her knapsack and smiled at the Khajiit.

"Sometimes. I don't know what starsign is mine, but I think it's The Lady. It's nice to just sit and make shapes."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 13 2014, 08:45 PM
Post #225

Councilor
Group Icon

A dragon? I should very much like to see one.

Darnand decided against sharing that thought with the group. He nodded his acknowledgement to Aravi and finished his preparations for the night.

“I will take second watch,” he said to Vera.

Aravi asked about the stars. Kayla seemed not to have been affected by the sign that marked her birth. Perhaps their influence is not as strong in Skyrim.

“In Sun’s Height I look to The Apprentice,” he replied. “My stars are both a blessing and a curse. I would have become a mage had I been born under any sign, but it was the gift of The Apprentice that allowed me to pursue summoning along with Destruction magic. If I did not have such a well of magicka when I first began to learn spell-casting I suppose I would have focused more on my studies and stayed out of the field.”

Darnand lay back and looked at the stars. He had no concerns about returning to Cyrodiil on his own. Without a friend watching his back he would keep his focus on the road and its dangers. Soon he would be back among his books, sometimes with Abiene at his side. He wondered how she had fared with her preparations.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 14 2014, 03:26 AM
Post #226

Master
Group Icon

She listened to the others with curiosity. She loved the stars and the moons.

“Is there some reason for the sign each person gets?” she wondered aloud.

“They are so pretty. They seem brighter in the sky the farther north you go.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 14 2014, 03:27 AM
Post #227

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla leaned on one elbow and looked at Darnand. "My sign is only a guess. And growing up with no other Altmer around, I don't know what's normal for abilities or not. I think my Ma only gave me The Lady as a sign because that's when they found me." She looked back up at the stars.

I wonder what it's like to be so certain of your birth sign. Do you feel a tug in your heart when you see the constellations? Her brow furrowed as she put her arms behind her head. I wonder how people like me find out their signs.

"I'll take third watch." she said absently.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 14 2014, 04:24 AM
Post #228

Master
Group Icon

“I don’t know if the Lady is different, but the Lord is the same for me as it is for other races.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 14 2014, 04:30 AM
Post #229

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla turned her head towards Aravi. "What do you mean, the same?" It was a genuine question. "As in, you get the same abilities that the other races do?" She chuckled at the thought of the gods piking favorite races. Then again, she didn't know much about the gods. Perhaps they did have favorites. All she knew for certain was that daedra did choose favorites, and were often unfair in doing so, lumping each individuals of a race together as if they all had one thing that made them the same. Besides general appearances, of course.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 14 2014, 04:42 AM
Post #230

Master
Group Icon

"The sign affects me the same way it affects everyone else that is born under it," she said while absently playing with her earring.

She realized it was the same ear that was ruined and Abiene healed. She felt the surface of the ear for any signs of its former injury. None.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 15 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #231

Councilor
Group Icon

On the Road South, Some Time Later

Darnand shifted uncomfortably on the wooden plank. The wagon lurched over a rut, sending him sliding into the side rail. Another bruise on top of bruises. When it was time to renew his life detection spell he also healed his aching hip and tailbone. A few moments’ ease at least. The next spell I craft will be Summon Seat Cushion.

Signing on as a spotter with a caravan had been a stroke of good fortune. Not only were his ride and meals free as far as Bruma, but he would be paid for his efforts. So far they had encountered one group of raiders. With the caravan guards obviously alert to the danger they had passed through the would-be ambush without incident. Darnand wondered if some of the guards would circle back and attack the bandits. He had heard that clearing out camps was a large part of their job, and the loot they recovered an important supplement to their income.

The hills and hollows ahead were free of any life signs larger than a fox. Darnand gave the signal to the lead rider. For a few moments he was free to let his mind wander.

The expedition to Lost Knife Hideout had been a success, as he had expected. They had harvested enough magicka to fuel months of experiments. Abiene had not shared the details of Aravi’s situation, only the needs of her research. Darnand could draw his own conclusions.

Aravi’s lycanthropy had come as a complete surprise. Darnand had to credit Abiene’s ability to keep a secret, for surely she must know. The implications for Aravi’s future children were beyond Darnand’s knowledge. Someone must know, perhaps Aravi herself. It was not something he felt at liberty to ask her, but he resolved to find out.

Vera’s lycanthropy explained a lot. Darnand set that piece of information away deep within his mind where it would not be readily discovered. His activities often put him in mental contact with others, some of whom could not be trusted.

Another curiosity was Kayla’s bright sword. It carried the unmistakable whiff of Daedric power. Meridia, if Darnand’s sense of the Lady of Infinite Energies had not faded. Also a subject to carefully avoid. Darnand had returned to Arkay’s grace, but he suspected that Meridia would not be as forgiving. He would prefer to remain outside her notice. Though he might have much in common with another mortal who had carried her token, the connection should not be made. He had no idea what Kayla would be called to do if she actually was Meridia’s champion.

Darnand gripped the rail as the wagon tipped to the other side, sending him sliding toward the driver. The Nord was a mountain of fur, stench, and phlegm, and Darnand intended to keep contact between them to a minimum. Though he had to admit the man made an excellent wind break, and some of his jokes were worthy of repeating, so long as the audience had sturdy sensibilities.

That thought led his mind to Salyan. Darnand had enjoyed her reserved company as much as her astonishing command of Audiomancy. He regretted her sudden departure, but he could not fault her for it. The incident in the cage had shaken all of them save Vera. He suspected that most folk would not want to continue in a party with two known werewolves.

The driver took a pull from his wineskin and passed it to Darnand. “Wanna hear a joke about my stick?” he asked.

“Indeed,” said Darnand. “I have been hoping for another one.” He resisted wiping the neck on his sleeve. Any diseases he picked up on the road could be cured all at once later. The wine scalded his throat but warmed him all the way through.

“Hah!” crowed the driver. “Forget it, it’s too long.”

Darnand gritted his teeth against the elbow in his ribs. “Ha ha. That is a good one.” He scanned the road ahead and then the hills on either side. Until we meet again, my friends. Safe journey to you all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 26 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #232

Councilor
Group Icon

Adventure complete. Would a moderator kindly close this thread.

--------------------
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:20 AM